Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck ranked #23 on NFL Top 100

MTC

Wait? What?!? Huh?!?!?

Which Luck are we talking about? Murray Luck, my rookie accountant? I'll accept that.

But Andrew Luck? The quarterback of the Colts? Is that the Luck you were referring to?

He was average? On what planet was he average?

You must be new to America and American football? Your game is soccer, or Rugby, or Chess?

I'd say 'average' is one of the poorest adjectives one could use to describe Andrew Luck, quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts.

Not sure where that came from, but that was an eye-popping whopper!! :omg:

Rugby is awesome, wish it was more prominent here in the states...

Carlin Isles is awesome...

& Chess is hands down te best boardgame ever!!!..

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weighing each position equal?

Brady

Brees

Manning

Ryan

Rodgers

Geno Atkins

Brandon Marshall

Reggie Wayne

Roddy White

Calvin Johnson

JJ Watt

Von Miller

Richard Sherman

Tim Jennings

Charles Tillman

Rob Gronkowski

Adrian Peterson

Marshawn Lynch

CJ Spiller

Doug Martin

Alfred Morris

Patrick Willis

Navarro Bowman

Kyle Williams

Jamaal Charles

Andre Johnson

Dez Bryant

AJ Green

Aldon Smith

Cameron Wke

Clay Matthews

Joe Thomas

Duane Brown

Eric Weddle

Jarius Byrd

ect....

I could keep going.

Kyle Williams? Really

It really depends what this poll "is", and from what I've read even the people participating in it have no idea.

The fact is that if I were drafting to start a team from scratch from all available players I'd likely take Luck first. But that takes into consideration age, potential, my bias as being a Colts fan, and it also puts a serious priority on the QB position because it's fundamental to having a competitive team.

But right here, right now, based on actual accomplishments? Luck was about #29 in passer rating last year with a completion percentage in the "Mark Sanchez territory" and too many turnovers. You have to argue from on top of a stack of intangibles (and a strong focus on "wins" and "comebacks") just to get him in with the top 15 QBs. And if you are considering all positions without giving special weight to QBs, consider the fact that eighty-four people made the pro-bowl, but not him. Is it really so obvious that he should be the #23 player overall? Give the kid a chance to develop.

Luck made and participated in the Pro Bowl.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, June 14, 2013 - baiting
Hidden by Nadine, June 14, 2013 - baiting

Oh trust me, I was being VERY generous when I typed that.

Okie-dokie....

But, for the record,  the NFL,  you know, the league that Andrew Luck plays in,  views his season as probably the best season any rookie quarterback has ever had in the history of the league.

Don't think there is a bigger sample size than that. 

But,  if you like to think of that as 'average',  and if you think you're being 'generous' then I won't waste a minute of your time saying otherwise....

I just thought there was a joke there that I missed....    or you were drunk, or under the influence of controlled substances?

You know,  something that would explain it?!?

But, turns out,  you're serious!     Dead serious.     Wow.     Good luck with that.......

When you can handle different opinions let me know.

Opinions on what? A list that means zero? Everyone knows these list are voted on by players and have little to do with reality. There are well over 2,000 players in the NFL. There is no way that NFL players know all of the players. They in turn only vote on players they know, have played or in their divisions. A comment was made that these list mean nothing and then some start so called debating on their own personal list and then the opinion are more or less argued about. Why does anyone feel the need to top your opinion over someone elses on a list that means zero? This is a Colts forum and it would be nice to keep it somewhat close to that. Who really cares if Luck is on some ones list at 20, 40 or 100 on a media driven list that means zero? I am sorry if I ruffled your feathers but this whole thread brings a lot of attention to a subject that equals to nothing. 

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, June 14, 2013 - personal argument
Hidden by Nadine, June 14, 2013 - personal argument

Okie-dokie....

But, for the record,  the NFL,  you know, the league that Andrew Luck plays in,  views his season as probably the best season any rookie quarterback has ever had in the history of the league.

Don't think there is a bigger sample size than that. 

But,  if you like to think of that as 'average',  and if you think you're being 'generous' then I won't waste a minute of your time saying otherwise....

I just thought there was a joke there that I missed....    or you were drunk, or under the influence of controlled substances?

You know,  something that would explain it?!?

But, turns out,  you're serious!     Dead serious.     Wow.     Good luck with that.......

Good Lord, are you his birth-mother? I mean seriously, dislodge the panties between your cheeks. He threw for a "decent" amount of yards - wooohoo - , but it took an insane amount of throws to get there, and what doesn't help any is that he played in one of the most vertical offenses in the league. That was about the highlight of his season as everthing else was, again, pretty average at best. By all means accept average, its ok. I personally choose not to.

Good Lord, are you his birth-mother? I mean seriously, dislodge the panties between your cheeks. He threw for a "decent" amount of yards - wooohoo - , but it took an insane amount of throws to get there, and what doesn't help any is that he played in one of the most vertical offenses in the league. That was about the highlight of his season as everthing else was, again, pretty average at best. By all means accept average, its ok. I personally choose not to.

Good Lord....

Are you under the impression my view is the minority around this website?

Or around the National Football League?     Or the rest of the sports world?

Here's a hint for you.....    not only are you in the minority,  your view is in the one-tenth of one percent minority.....

Buy a clue.    You're on the other side of the planet.     There are no facts to support your opinion.     Now, you're entitled to any opinion you want.    Hey,  it's yours.     But it's based on what goes on inside your head, and certainly not facts.

I'm simply stunned because I've never seen anyone else share such a.......   viewpoint...

Again,   good luck to you.

Good Lord....

Are you under the impression my view is the minority around this website?

Or around the National Football League? Or the rest of the sports world?

Here's a hint for you..... not only are you in the minority, your view is in the one-tenth of one percent minority.....

Buy a clue. You're on the other side of the planet. There are no facts to support your opinion. Now, you're entitled to any opinion you want. Hey, it's yours. But it's based on what goes on inside your head, and certainly not facts.

I'm simply stunned because I've never seen anyone else share such a....... viewpoint...

Again, good luck to you.

I'm very well aware of my "opinion" being in the minority, and no it doesn't only pertain to you. Sorry, but a shiny turd is still a turd. You and the rest of the NFL can glorify his season all you want, but I didn't see ANYTHING to warrant me jumping for joy. Mind showing me the so-called "facts" that prove otherwise?

Well that escalated quickly.

Usually happens when you go against thee "Golden Child". haha

Might as well put him in with Elvis and John Wayne. God forbid you say anything negative about them; you best be ready to fight.

I'm just not buying in right now. I need to see A LOT more before I start crowning the guy, especially with how he played last year. I don't doubt the guy is going to be good, but great? We shall see, but he has a ways to go.

Usually happens when you go against thee "Golden Child". haha

Might as well put him in with Elvis and John Wayne. God forbid you say anything negative about them; you best be ready to fight.

Lol yep I've been up that tree before. Will probably be in it again by the time the week ends, it happens so frequently. Oh well, fighting about this kind of stuff is fun anyway! If we learned anything from Dennis Green...well, it was about crowning...lmao

This list is worthless. That's way too high.

Maybe high, but it's about how everyone played last year ALONE. Not their entire careers. Everyone keeps complaining about this or that person and they have years experience. It's not about experience but how you did last year. Idk how people still don't get this.

This is laughable. 

You might want to revisit Cam's first year. 

Numbers wise, in 2012 Luck had a worse season than RG3 and Wilson. Let's be honest... 

Luck threw for 4300 and set the rookie record, but he also threw the ball about 250 more times than Wilson or RG3.

I think #23 on the list is VERY acceptable. Like others have mentioned, this list is about the top players overall in the league.... regardless of rookie or veteran status.

If Andrew Luck was a 3 or 4 year vet, and put up the numbers he put up last season... there is no way he makes this list.... absolutely none.

Tony Romo had a much better season than Andrew Luck last year... and theres a decent chance Romo won't even make the top 100 period.

Taking everything into consideration, I believe his ranking is much more than fair, and shows the respect people have for his potential and leadership abilities.

Maybe high, but it's about how everyone played last year ALONE. Not their entire careers. Everyone keeps complaining about this or that person and they have years experience. It's not about experience but how you did last year. Idk how people still don't get this.

Exactly! And Looking back on last season Andrew Luck was not the 23rd best player in the league.

I agree.  But also just like any other time.  If your a Qb your gonna get ranked higher most the time.  There are players that had better years.  But cause hes a QB he gets a higher ranking.  

Ugh, I can't believe Colts fans are arguing this.  And when you consider that RG3 is likely to show in the top 20, I'd say 23 is far from being overrated.  We were 2-14 without luck, and 11-5 with him.  As a rookie, he threw for 4000+ yards.  To be at 23 on the list seems about fair to me.  He gritted us some very tough wins.  Ugh, I'll just go spend more time on other sites.  This stuff is ridiculous.

a personal argument was removed from this thread

please, don't accuse each other of being under the influence.  If you disagree, fine but do so without taking personal shots

And if someone takes a shot at you, report it or ignore.........don't respond in kind 

AND Have a nice day!

please, don't accuse each other of being under the influence. If you disagree, fine but do so without taking personal shots

And if someone takes a shot at you, report it or ignore.........don't respond in kind

AND Have a nice day!

Nadine,

By no means was I offended by what was said, and in no way was I going to report NCF. The guy is passionate about what he believes in, and in no way can I hold that against him, regardless of what was said. I just looked at it as a difference of opinion, that's all.

Ugh, I can't believe Colts fans are arguing this. And when you consider that RG3 is likely to show in the top 20, I'd say 23 is far from being overrated. We were 2-14 without luck, and 11-5 with him. As a rookie, he threw for 4000+ yards. To be at 23 on the list seems about fair to me. He gritted us some very tough wins. Ugh, I'll just go spend more time on other sites. This stuff is ridiculous.

I don't believe RG3 should be up there either and he had a heckuva season statistically. Big Ben's season was very close to what RG3's was, but he was ranked in the 60's I believe. As another poster stated, and in my opinion as well, neither of these guys are 1 of the top 23 players in the league "right now".

Whilst did not show himself to be a top-5 QB last season, he did do some incredibly impressive things that few in this league would be capable off. I don't think this list can be defined as 'Who was best last year' or 'Who will be best in the future' etc. because everyone who votes will have their different interpretation of the list.

That being said, I think his place on the list isn't far off... because whether it is supposed to be independant of positional bias, QBs will always rank highest and most often.

Most likely he could have been placed 70 or 12 and both cases could be justified, just comes down to the interpretation of those voting.

I think these lists are taken way to seriously and open for endless....and pointless debate but since we still have time to kill till the pads start poppin, Ill make my own top 100 list...my list is based off of 1 year only and not my overall opinion of a player or athleticism although obviously many of these players will be pretty athletic...this list does not reflect prior years wiorth of performance , It does not include any players that sat out the year do to injury but when healthy are at or near the top of there position.....Instead of doing all 100 in 1 shot I wll do 4 installments of 25

1.Drew Brees-43 TD passes to only 19 picks. Also was third in the league in completions, was near the top of the league in yards per completion among QB's with 400 or more pass attempts (2ND actully) and plays at the most important position on the team

, A 63.0 completion percentage

2.Aaron Rodgers-67.2 completion percentage out of 552 pass attempts along with 39 td's and only 8 picks despite being sacked 51 times and a 7.8 yards per completion

3.Peyton Manning-Missed the entire prior year BUT I WONT factor that into his year seeing as how he did statistically did not miss a beat-Had 400 completions out of 583 pass attempts a 68.3 completion percentage but had slightly less TD' passes and more interceptions then the top 2 QB's

4.Tom Brady-34 TD's only 8 picks 63.0 completion percentage

5.Matt Ryan-32 td's and 14 picks throwing 615 times completing 68.6 of those passes

6.Tony Romo (what? Romo inside the top 10?...He gets to much flack for being a very good QB) regardless 4903 yards passing 28 td's and 19 picks. 7.6 yards per completion behind what was a bad O Line last year, Also a 65.6 completion percentage, I wonder what he would have done behind a better O Line where he didn't have to scramble so much

7.Ryan Clady-started 16 games last year and according to Pro Football Weekly only allowed 1 sack and had 3 penalties, That folks is an elite LT at very likely the 2nd most important position on offense next to QB

8.Calvin Johnson-122 receptions on 205 targets, 1964 yards and 5 TD's despite being easily the Lions biggest scoring threat. 16.1 yards per catch

9.JJ Watt- 20 sacks 81 tackles and 4 forced fumbles, the guy is a game wrecker who had an outstanding year

10.Brandon Marshall- 118 catches on 194 targets for a 60.8 catch rate with 11 TD's and 12.8 yards per catch

11.Adrian Peterson-Not much needs to be said his stats speak for themselves, 2097 yards rushing 6.0 yards per carry, 22 rushing TD's along with 40 receptions and a TD to top it all off, The dude was a stud pre injury and nothing has changed post injury, Just for added affect which is not needed, he had 27 rushes that went for 20 plus yards......27! The next highest guy was Spiller with 12. Peterson also ran for more 1st downs then any other running back in the league

12.Aldon Smith-1st in Linebackers with 19.5 sacks 2nd overall in the league, had a INT and 3 forced fumbles, elite at his position, also 2nd to Von Miller in tackles at OLB

13.Von Miller-18.5 sacks 68 tackles 6 forced fumbles an INT and two passes defensed, a great year

14.Richard Sherman-The 2nd most ints in the league last year with 8 but he had 3 more passes defensed then then Tim Jennings who had 9 Ints to lead the league , Sherman also added a sack and 64 tackles plus 3 forced fumbles

15.Tim Jennings-Who in the world would have thought he would even be considered for the list let alone be in my top 20, 9 Ints to lead the league, 21 passes defensed to go along with 60 tackles

16.Patrick Peterson 7 Ints 16 pass defensed along with 55 tackles turning into an elite Corner

17.Luke Keuchley- Lead the league with 164 tackles, added 8 passes defensed 1 sack and 2 Ints

18.Chad Greenway-148 tackles tied for 2nd in the league, had 3 sacks , 4 passes defensed and an Int

19.Navarro Bowman-Does not get as much coverage among the media as his counter part Patrick Willis but he had an excellent year with 148 tackles 2 sacks, 6 passes defensed and an Int

20.Jerod Mayo-147 tackles 3 sacks, 3 passes defensed and a int and 4 forced fumbles

21.Alfred Morris-Burst onto the scene as a rookie as another product of Shanahans Zone Blocking scheme, He had 13 td's rushing to go along with 11 receptions for 77 yards and 83 of his 335 rushes went for first downs

22.Cameron Wake-Had an excellent year worthy of a top 25 spot on the list with 15 sacks which surpassed his previous career high set in 2010 with 14 sacks, He also added 3 forced fumbles and 3 Stuffs

23.Geno Adkins-Had 53 combined tackles 12.5 sacks  2 passes defensed and 4 forced fumbles, Is truely a disruptive force on the interior of that Bengals D Line

24.Marshawn Lynch-1590 rushing yards 11 td's along with 5 yards per carry, The dude is a extremely hard runner

25.Jammal Charles-Is deadly out in the open field even after a serious injury, averaged 5.3 ypc along with 1509 rushing yards

Part 2 to come next week

please, don't accuse each other of being under the influence.  If you disagree, fine but do so without taking personal shots

AND Have a nice day!

Good morning everyone.....

Was wondering how this would shake out.....

So......

Apologies to Nadine and 8792....   and I appreciate Blu taking the high road in return.   Never would occur to me to have his comments -- any of them -- "reported".... 

I absolutely was not using the "under the influence" comment in any other way other than as a joke.   Please remember, I live out in So. Cal where seemingly most everyone is under the influence of something,   so I'm never serious when I say that, and I've said it here before....   but I will 'retire' it from future discussions....    but it was used as a joke....   please chalk it up to my odd sense of humor...

I look forward to a time when Luck improves so much,  that he's judged as "pretty good" instead of just "average"....      :thmup:

p.s. -- I think that time is coming soon!     :thmup:

Good morning everyone.....

Was wondering how this would shake out.....

So......

Apologies to Nadine and 8792.... and I appreciate Blu taking the high road in return. Never would occur to me to have his comments -- any of them -- "reported"....

I absolutely was not using the "under the influence" comment in any other way other than as a joke. Please remember, I live out in So. Cal where seemingly most everyone is under the influence of something, so I'm never serious when I say that, and I've said it here before.... but I will 'retire' it from future discussions.... but it was used as a joke.... please chalk it up to my odd sense of humor...

I look forward to a time when Luck improves so much, that he's judged as "pretty good" instead of just "average".... :thmup:

p.s. -- I think that time is coming soon! :thmup:

I look forward to that day :thmup:

Indy will be traveling to LA or London very soon...     Jax is dead in the water.

I expect another div shakeup tho...     when it happen.

Do you realize that Jacksonville has a better home attendance average than the two other Florida teams? The Jags average  more fans/home game (62,331) and have a higher capacity percentage (92.8%) than both the Bucs and Dolphins. The Bucs and Dolphins (as well as the Bengals, Bills, Rams, Browns, and Chargers) are actually in much worse shape than the Jags...its a common misperception that Jacksonville is struggling with attendance. Sure they are a small market, but so are the majority of NFL teams, and they are in better shape than 7 others...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_attendance_figures

If someone knows, could you please point me to the question that was asked of the players for this poll.

It seems to me they were asked how they would rate the players for the upcoming 2013 season.

Now past performance, either career, or last year, would seem to be part of ones consideration,

but it seems to me they were asked about potential/rating for this year, nothing else.

I could be wrong, but would love to know what this TOP 100 is really about.

P.S. I did search on nfl network but could find nothing about what was the actual question for this poll.

(Pardon the Interuption to the lively debate) :hat:

I don't believe RG3 should be up there either and he had a heckuva season statistically. Big Ben's season was very close to what RG3's was, but he was ranked in the 60's I believe. As another poster stated, and in my opinion as well, neither of these guys are 1 of the top 23 players in the league "right now".

I'd disagree.  What Luck did was remarkable.

As for RG3 vs Big Ben, yes, the passing statistics were comparable.  However:

26 attempts for 92 yards rushing.

vs

120 attempts for 815 yards rushing

RG3 jumps well ahead of Ben due to that factor.  That yardage has many 3rd down conversions as well as TDs tied to it.

I think people are simply too much of the opinion that you can't put a rookie on the list.  It's as if Luck had amassed the season he did in his 4th year in the league, then spot #23 would be justified.  But as he is a rookie, that qualifies for a 40 spot deduction?

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot agree with that.  We went from 2-14 to a 11-5, and a good portion of that was from the QB position alone.  Rookie aside, most veterans talk about Luck and say that he is nothing like any rookie they have ever seen.  Just based on his first year's production, he very much deserves being on that list, and where is was is likely about where he belongs.

I agree but it is the absolute level or non level of thought that some base their opinions on.

The NFL is the ultimate chess game.    And a QB who gets hit as much, throws as many INTS, and has as bad a comp % as Luck did.    HAS NO BUSINESS WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES in his rookie year with a 2 win football team.   Oh, and the D was ....      ok...   is that sugar coating it?

But alas.....       HE DID.    Here we come to the WHY?   And this is what totally amazes me about Luck haters.   They cannot comprehend the variables that allowed him to succeed...    they only focus on SIMPLE facts.  They do not care to realize that Luck led the league in passes down field of over 25 yards, which lends to a poor comp %.    I could go on and on...

And I will not go into it ....    

Andrew Luck was sensational last season...    all the while getting sacked 40+ times and getting knocked down more than any other QB in the NFL.   He is not a boy....   He is true blue NFL STUD.

And if the simpletons cannot see it I really feel sorry for them.    We are watching a star in the making.

Lots of bickering over a poll very few players participated in and nobody really takes seriously.

Yes I get that

But outside of Jax the Jags are irrelevant.      The Phins and Bucs are brands...    the Jags are not.

They generate NO buzz outside of Jax whatsoever.     The Ownership is new....   they are the MOST unstable of any of the NFL franchises.   I do not think that is debatable.   

Do you realize that Jacksonville has a better home attendance average than the two other Florida teams? The Jags average  more fans/home game (62,331) and have a higher capacity percentage (92.8%) than both the Bucs and Dolphins. The Bucs and Dolphins (as well as the Bengals, Bills, Rams, Browns, and Chargers) are actually in much worse shape than the Jags...its a common misperception that Jacksonville is struggling with attendance. Sure they are a small market, but so are the majority of NFL teams, and they are in better shape than 7 others...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_attendance_figures