Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who picks no.1 next season? And Why.

UKColt13

These are my Power Rankings, not necessarily the draft order because some teams have already traded away their 2014 1st rounder or picked up an extra... Just my opinion about who the best and worst teams are at the moment..

32. Jets (no QB... Smith might be good at some point, but it will take time.. team is a sideshow FTMP)

31. Raiders (a lot of dead money for a team that had little talent to begin with)

30. Jags (Gabbert will never be a top 15 QB in the league, probably never be a top 20)

29. Bills (awful draft... F.O. is a joke... Manuel's ceiling is Fitzpatrick, IMO)

28. Cowboys (They get a little worse every season)

27. Cardinals (Palmer is no Luck or Big Ben... He is immobile and will probably be destroyed in BA's scheme.. behind that line)

26. Panthers (new OC... bad offseason... bad contracts everywhere.. not set up well for the future outside of QB)

25. Eagles (Too many QBs= 0QBs... I'm becoming convinced that Philly's coaching is simply sub-par)

24. Chargers ( Not sure why, but Rivers  has regressed... Freeney vs. Manning will be the only reason for me to watch)

23. Bucs (Not sure if the Bucs GM is schitzo or what, but they make a lot of puzzling decisions.. takes more than a CB to win)

22. Browns (Weeden is not going to be great, we've seen the kind of growing pains that can accompany the switch to a 3-4 defense)

21. Titans (Titans have made significant upgrades, but still don't have a QB and have to face HOU and Indy 4 times) 

20. Chiefs ( Someday the Chiefs will be good, but I'm going to give props to San Fran's O-Line for making Smith look good)

19. Lions (always find a way to lose)

18. Rams (Rams could be much better than this with Austin stretching the field, but how good Jake Long will be is a big ?)

17. Steelers (Steelers are on the decline, They play in a tough division and are not replacing their older guys very well)

16. Dolphins(I think that the Dolphins will make the playoffs in 2013, I didn't like the Wallace signing, but they are improving)

15. Bears (I think that the Bears will be about where they were last season, they improved at TE, but reached in the draft)

14. Vikings (Ponder is not Elite, nor will he be, but AP is the truth and they will ride him into the playoffs and an early exit)

13. Redskins (RGIII (if healthy) and Morris are both the real deal, but defenses will be more prepared for them this season)

12. Giants (NY still has ballers on both sides of the ball, but they need to be better early in the season)

11. Saints (Major issues on defense, but won't be nearly as bad as last season, Brees is still a top 5 QB and they get their HC back)

10. Bengals (Cincy has improved this offseason and have a scary good offense with Gresham and Eifert at TE)

9. Texans (Houston hasn't done much to get over the hump, but they are a fairly loaded team, good for 2nd place in the AFC South)

8. Packers (Aaron Rodgers is a top 3 QB with decent skill position players around him, enough for them to win the NFC North, IMO)

7. Colts (Andrew Luck and a crew of 2nd year studs, improvements on both sides of the ball. I expect at least one win in the playoffs)

6. Ravens (Ravens have lost some iconic players from their defense, but their coaches are underrated and they still have firepower)

5. Falcons (I don't buy that the Falcons will be worse in 2013, they lost some guys, but were deep everywhere. Next man up)

4. Patriots (Brady and Belichick.. The Patriots are going to score a ton of points next season and it bugs me to no end)

3. Seahawks (Defenses will not be as lost when playing against the read option, but Seattle added Harvin, They also have a stellar D)

2. Broncos (Broncos had a good offseason, except for the Doom debacle, #18 is going to will them all the way to the SB)

1. Niners (Its actually pretty amazing that San Fran has been able to build such a balanced, deep and talented team under the salary cap. They have no weaknesses and should be very good for a long time.)

It's easy to say the Jags or Raiders because history says you've got a pretty good chance of being right lol. 

But that's no fun. There's always at least 1 surprise team that just has a terrible season that people don't predict, but trying to peg them is more interesting.

For me, in 2013, the Philadelphia Eagles are that team. Granted, they only won 4 games last year, but people are still acting like it's a fluke; I'm not so sure it is. Here's 5 reasons why they'll pick #1 next year:

1)That team is talent deprived. The big names on the roster have play and production that just doesn't live up to the hype.

2) They have a completely unproven NFL coach playing in a tough division in a tough conference. Kelly wasn't a pro style coach at Oregon, and some of his initial moves (like rearranging lockers so players aren't by their positional teammates) could be a sign of gimmicks to come.

3) They've made iffy hires even beyond Chip Kelly. Look at what DC Billy Davis did in SF and Arizona, then look at how those defenses blew up once he left. 

4) The personnel acquisitions they have made are weird fits. If you're running an offense designed for Mike Vick, why draft Matt Barkley? When Vick inevitably gets hurt, you'll have to re-tool the entire offense for either Barkley or Foles. If that's the direction you want to go in, why keep Vick? Also, Bennie Logan, their 3rd round pick, really doesn't fit a 3-4.

5) They play in a tough division in a tough conference. Regardless of who's starting at QB, they'll have the worst QB in the division and will be lucky to even have the same guy start every week. 

Today, I started a topic on the Rock-N-Roll Hall Of Fame. If there was a NFL Hall Of Shame the Cleveland Browns would be in it.

Yes, Jim Brown was a great HOF RB, but sadly this franchise is always in the Dog Pound & they never win a SB in my lifetime. I seriously think that this organization is cursed [FBI & IRS indictments etc. with the new owner] & will never pose a serious threat to any other team.

A great sports city whose fan base is so used to losing that it's like putting on socks every morning. Even their baseball team the Indians is no bright spot of hope or encouragement either.

It's easy to say the Jags or Raiders because history says you've got a pretty good chance of being right lol. 

But that's no fun. There's always at least 1 surprise team that just has a terrible season that people don't predict, but trying to peg them is more interesting.

For me, in 2013, the Philadelphia Eagles are that team. Granted, they only won 4 games last year, but people are still acting like it's a fluke; I'm not so sure it is. Here's 5 reasons why they'll pick #1 next year:

1)That team is talent deprived. The big names on the roster have play and production that just doesn't live up to the hype.

2) They have a completely unproven NFL coach playing in a tough division in a tough conference. Kelly wasn't a pro style coach at Oregon, and some of his initial moves (like rearranging lockers so players aren't by their positional teammates) could be a sign of gimmicks to come.

3) They've made iffy hires even beyond Chip Kelly. Look at what DC Billy Davis did in SF and Arizona, then look at how those defenses blew up once he left. 

4) The personnel acquisitions they have made are weird fits. If you're running an offense designed for Mike Vick, why draft Matt Barkley? When Vick inevitably gets hurt, you'll have to re-tool the entire offense for either Barkley or Foles. If that's the direction you want to go in, why keep Vick? Also, Bennie Logan, their 3rd round pick, really doesn't fit a 3-4.

5) They play in a tough division in a tough conference. Regardless of who's starting at QB, they'll have the worst QB in the division and will be lucky to even have the same guy start every week. 

#2 is an excellent point. No NFL experience in this league as a coordinator spells disaster to me for HC Chip Kelley. Also, the up tempo, fast paced style on both lines will never work all game long or all season long. Eagles players will be dropping like flies & riddled with ailments & injuries IMO. 

Today, I started a topic on the Rock-N-Roll Hall Of Fame. If there was a NFL Hall Of Shame the Cleveland Browns would be in it.

Yes, Jim Brown was a great HOF RB, but sadly this franchise is always in the Dog Pound & they never win a SB in my lifetime. I seriously think that this organization is cursed [FBI & IRS indictments etc. with the new owner] & will never pose a serious threat to any other team.

A great sports city whose fan base is so used to losing that it's like putting on socks every morning. Even their baseball team the Indians is no bright spot of hope or encouragement either.

Ahhh Cleveland...The Browns are a team I root for to do well every year because being a Cleveland sports fan is like being yours truly. I mean, c'mon- imagine if Reggie Miller had been born here, left during his prime, and announced it via prime-time special. If any city's team needs a break, it's those guys. In the meantime, Hans Moleman should really be the mascot for Cleveland sports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWOExbcYbl0

The Raiders, the reason? They are the Raiders...

No I have a feeling it might be someone like the Eagles who are just starting a rebuilding process in a fairly hard division.

no way...they have too much talent even for a new coach(or coaches) i dont think they are rebuilding in any way. their OL, if healthy, is easy top 5. their secondary will be shaky but cmon, jets have MUCH less talent, same with jags and bills...

i actually like the Bills receiving corps

Jets...Lame duck, diva coach, no rb, 1 unreliable aging receiver, no TE, no Revis, media scrutiny and pressure...Should have pulled a Colts and waited till next year to draft Manziel Or Bridgewater instead of wasting a pick on the mentally fragile Geno Smith..

The Lions lost their last 8 straight games, so......................

I agree. No team in the league finds more ways to lose games than the Detroit Lions. Slap that logo on a pro bowl team, and they would still strugle to win eight games.

I agree that the all of the above is sound thinking . The only reason I think you might be missing is how good their O Line could be. If Mathis and Kelce are healthy , it could be the one of best in the NFL. It's almost hard to be stinky with a great O line....

Left tackle: Jason Peters (6-foot-4, 340 pounds), age 31, 10th season

Left guard: Evan Mathis (6-5, 302,), 31, 9th

Center: Jason Kelce (6-3, 295), 25, 3rd

Right guard: Todd Herremans (6-6, 321) 30, 9th 

Right tackle: Lane Johnson (6-6, 303), 23, rookie

Jaguars will be taking Clowney because they just have question marks all over. Browns a close second, gotta factor in the Jets too.

If the Jags have the #1 overall pick, there's no way they pass on a franchise QB for a defensive end. 

If the Jags have the #1 overall pick, there's no way they pass on a franchise QB for a defensive end.

The defensive end who is the defensive equivalent of the top two QBs taken last year who were believed to be the best in a long time. And I could see it happening considering the offenses the Jaguars have to face in the division. They can always go QB in free agency or when they pick early again in 15.

The defensive end who is the defensive equivalent of the top two QBs taken last year who were believed to be the best in a long time. And I could see it happening considering the offenses the Jaguars have to face in the division. They can always go QB in free agency or when they pick early again in 15.

#1. RG3 wasn't considered "one of the best to come out in a long time" that's pure revisionist history.

#2. Even if he's the best DE in the league when he comes in, he's still just that. A DE. They would be better off taking a QB (there aren't any good ones who hit FA next year) or trading the pick.

Guess we can agree to disagree.

#1. RG3 wasn't considered "one of the best to come out in a long time" that's pure revisionist history.

#2. Even if he's the best DE in the league when he comes in, he's still just that. A DE. They would be better off taking a QB (there aren't any good ones who hit FA next year) or trading the pick.

Guess we can agree to disagree.

Well considering that Griffin and 12 were neck in neck and were furiously debated about who should be drafted first by analysts and professionals nationwide, and considering that 12 was called the best prospect since Elway, it's pretty safe to assume that Griffin was thought of pretty highly. Broke records and won the East his rookie year as well. But whatever. We are best at disagreeing, I like to give credit...as far as the Jaguars they aren't the best decision makers, but I think Clowney is worth the first overall pick.

Well considering that Griffin and 12 were neck in neck

No they weren't. Again, pure revisionist history. There may have been a few people who said that Griffin was better than Luck to get some recognition (Skip Bayless), but any scout/GM worth his weight in salt would tell you Luck was clearly better. The best since Elway.

Broke records and won the East his rookie year as well.

This has nothing to do with pre-draft.

No they weren't. Again, pure revisionist history. There may have been a few people who said that Griffin was better than Luck to get some recognition (Skip Bayless), but any scout/GM worth his weight in salt would tell you Luck was clearly better. The best since Elway.

This has nothing to do with pre-draft.

There were certainly more people than Bayless who said or believed that Griff could possibly go first overall. Heck, your own FO wanted him in for private workouts, which I remember him declining. I know that both QBs have shown that they could have done well with the Colts in their first year, but I'm not going to get into that. And I wasn't necessarily talking pre-Draft. Scouts said Griffin and 12 were going to be darn good. Both made the playoffs. Scouts have been drooling over Clowney since he was in high school, and the best defensive player in the game certainly didn't hurt d-line perception this year with his style of play.

There were certainly more people than Bayless who said or believed that Griff could possibly go first overall. 

Ok, so a bunch of talking heads fill their time-slot by taking both sides of an issue (whether they agree with it or not). Warren Sapp, Michael Irvin and talking heads on ESPN and NFL Network aren't talent scouts or GMs. 

Heck, your own FO wanted him in for private workouts, which I remember him declining.

It's called due diligence. We had Matthew Stafford in for a private workout as well in 2009. 

The only way any team would have taken Griffin #1 overall was if Luck was hit by a train the day before the draft.

But this isn't the point of the thread. So i guess we can just agree to disagree here again lol

Ok, so a bunch of talking heads fill their time-slot by taking both sides of an issue (whether they agree with it or not). Warren Sapp, Michael Irvin and talking heads on ESPN and NFL Network aren't talent scouts or GMs.

It's called due diligence. We had Matthew Stafford in for a private workout as well in 2009.

The only way any team would have taken Griffin #1 overall was if Luck was hit by a train the day before the draft.

But this isn't the point of the thread. So i guess we can just agree to disagree here again lol

Lol yep. This is one thing we may never actually agree on. At least not for a few years anyway lmao

Jets...

the soap opera continues all the way to the draft...

the Jets play Pats twice, & NFC South with the Saints & Falcons & AFC North with the Ravens & Bengals, so there are some tough games on their schedule, but the Jags could also end up with the coveted #1 overall pick, they have to play Texans twice, Indy twice, Seattle, San Francisco, & Denver...

so Jets or Jags...

You are 100% correct on this. Reason being Luck was so much more of a sure thing than RG#. Bigger , played in a pro style offense and had way more experience reading defenses. Plus RG3 already had an injury issue.

.It is very similar to a draft around 15 years ago that the Cots had the 1st pick in. That too evolved into a "toss up" situation that was probably closer to 80 % Manning. Ironic that the only guy between Irsay , Mora and Polian that would have in a million years considered Leaf was Polian , who later is trying to say he made a great call on what was called a "toss up." Total Polian style nonsense.

You are 100% correct on this. Reason being Luck was so much more of a sure thing than RG#. Bigger , played in a pro style offense and had way more experience reading defenses. Plus RG3 already had an injury issue.

.It is very similar to a draft around 15 years ago that the Cots had the 1st pick in. That too evolved into a "toss up" situation that was probably closer to 80 % Manning. Ironic that the only guy between Irsay , Mora and Polian that would have in a million years considered Leaf was Polian , who later is trying to say he made a great call on what was called a "toss up." Total Polian style *.

Polian finally admitted the decision was no brainer after interviewing both prospects. Given his track record he is likely to change that story on a whim....again.