Colts  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are they a Top 10 Team in the NFL

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Irsay was getting questions about this on Twitter he posted this

"Bill Polian is 1 day,going 2 The Hall of Fame,he knows what he's doing,and Coach Caldwell makes final call on who plays n who doesn't,period"

Sounds like Irsay is saying Tryon is wrong about Caldwell saying he wanted to start him and it wasn't his call. Also before someone says this is spin by Irsay the one thing he has never done is lie to the fans so I don't think he's starting now.

Dont be too sure about that, Ive always said never trust most guys with a suit on..... i bet Jim Irsay was thinking long term and how the fans would view the franchise.... but then again the HC does make all the decisions and caldwell doesnt look like a pushover, if this was done by caldwell then there is a good reason for this for sure..... ppl will always say how good tryon was, i dont believe that one bit...

This isnt towards you GoColts8818 lol im just ranting...... If tryon was obviously better than lacey why didnt he become the starter after the preseason or see substantial time? Tryon was never a starter, ppl should go look back at the texans game and see how he got manhandled on one play by Johnson... tryon is no different than lacey and the fans here have gassed him up, hence his starter attitude.

Okay everyone, our opinions are just that, opinions. How many of you are at the Colt practices and watching how Lacey and Tryon are fulfilling their responsibilities during practice? I remember Marvin Harrison saying that, "Practice is my job. Playing the game is my fun." Remember that the Redskins let him go for a 7th rounder. We don't know if he felt he didn't need to prove himself during practice which is his job.

As far as Coyer saying to ask Caldwell as to why Lacey was starting over Tryon, that is the proper response of any subordinate in an organization like the Colts. There should only be one voice on significant issues for the organization when talking to the media. If Coyer had inserted his opinion, whether it supported Tryon or Lacey would have be grounds to be fired. Business organizations are not democracies.

We are commenting on things we actually know nothing about.

Okay everyone, our opinions are just that, opinions. How many of you are at the Colt practices and watching how Lacey and Tryon are fulfilling their responsibilities during practice? I remember Marvin Harrison saying that, "Practice is my job. Playing the game is my fun." Remember that the Redskins let him go for a 7th rounder. We don't know if he felt he didn't need to prove himself during practice which is his job.

As far as Coyer saying to ask Caldwell as to why Lacey was starting over Tryon, that is the proper response of any subordinate in an organization like the Colts. There should only be one voice on significant issues for the organization when talking to the media. If Coyer had inserted his opinion, whether it supported Tryon or Lacey would have be grounds to be fired. Business organizations are not democracies.

I totally agree with this, no one knows what happened... ppl are acting like the colts just let go freeney or something, he wasnt starting and there's a good reason for that.

They have been there for about 5 years now. That's why we will likely be the worst team in the league this year without 18

But hey, we still have Brown and Hughes!!!

As well as Connor, Angerer, Castonzo, Nevis, Lefeged, Carter.... Yeah, we've been terribly inept during the off-season acquisition/draft process. I think it's the fans, not the FO, in dunce mode.

Unless you have been clinging to last year, you would know, without question, that Lacey has been better than Tryon this year. Especially in the Steelers game.

Caldwell/management have some explaining to do. We know Coyer wanted Tryon out there playing and from what nearly all of us saw last year, Tryon is a much better player than Lacey. They just made a weak secondary even weaker.

Yea I dont get some of these moves either, Hopefully now Kevin Thomas can make a run at Laceys job.

As well as Connor, Angerer, Castonzo, Nevis, Lefeged, Carter.... Yeah, we've been terribly inept during the off-season acquisition/draft process. I think it's the fans, not the FO, in dunce mode.

Unless you have been clinging to last year, you would know, without question, that Lacey has been better than Tryon this year. Especially in the Steelers game.

It could also be the fact that the coaches could be ready for inserting Kevin Thomas or Chris Rucker in the line up, maybe??? It is one thing to have the ability and talk to the coaches privately about being given a chance, it is another to be vocal about it in front of others. It is likely that the latter happened with Tryon due to which he was waived. If the ability of a player is not miles above the other in a "what have you done for me lately" NFL, then Tryon probably should have kept more things under wraps, maybe he would have started eventually.

The important thing is that Tryon's tweets do not cause locker room issues and Caldwell should take control of the locker room and have a chat with the players about it, not involving the Polians. This should help the coaches and players bond together better and that is always a good thing. Kinda like Manning did after the resting-the-starters-debacle in 2009 Jets game, just before the playoffs.

I agree with everything you say here and I have been saying similar things (about the organization) for a long time, that we as fans based our opinions on about 1/10th the information the organization has. After hearing that they tape and review the tape of every practice I may modify that to 1/20th the information.

And it's funny watching how things get blown out of proportion. Coyer was asked about Tryon and he says asks Caldwell (which I agree and stated at the time that was the proper response) and he follows it up with, I like him he's competitive. And so many people took that to mean that Coyer was saying Tryon should be starting over Lacey when all he said was he liked him.

Personally, I think this is nothing more than a numbers game, they needed to get another safety to back up Lefeged, they probably are comfortable with with Powers, Lacey, T. Johnson, Thomas and Rucker at the CB spots and depth.

I don't think 6 guys over 4-5 years means you have drafted well. Honestly, i'm not real sure what Lefeged has done in this league right now to make you so happy, but whatever. Perhaps it's those kick returns from 8 yards deep where he gets to the 10 yard line?

If you want, i can go player by player of each draft since 2007. The only draft that you can say was even somewhat good was 2009, and even that draft has a lot of guys who are just overrated by some in this fan base. Kinda like you are doing with Lefeged.

And when you look at the players drafted, just because they start doesn't mean they are any good or were good draft picks. At some point, when you fail to use free agency and you draft poorly, you will have mediocre to bad players starting. Just the way it works. I don't see how anyone can argue that the Polians have not set this team back the last few years. Unless you are Bill or Chris yourself.

To be fair nobody will hit on all draft picks,but for some to mention the hits and not the misses is unfair.The misses in the first rounds are piling up.Also can we wait to see lefeged play a few games before you put him as a hit?

Thats what i was thinking. I do think this past years draft looks better, but it's been 3 games.

When draft picks struggle, we always hear "give them time before you label them a bust". Heck, i still hear that for Brown and Hughes. Yet when it fits someones argument, they will use a guy who has played 3 games and say it was a great draft pick. There was a time during Ugoh's rookie year where it actually looked like a good pick, how did that one end up working out?

I had someone on another forum telling me that Mclendon was a good Polian draft pick the first week of camp because he was working with the first string O line lol. Nevermind the fact that he had never done anything in this league and then ended up getting cut.

Thats what i was thinking. I do think this past years draft looks better, but it's been 3 games.

When draft picks struggle, we always hear "give them time before you label them a bust". Heck, i still hear that for Brown and Hughes. Yet when it fits someones argument, they will use a guy who has played 3 games and say it was a great draft pick. There was a time during Ugoh's rookie year where it actually looked like a good pick, how did that one end up working out?

I had someone on another forum telling me that Mclendon was a good Polian draft pick the first week of camp because he was working with the first string O line lol. Nevermind the fact that he had never done anything in this league and then ended up getting cut.

Some say it's to early to proclaim hughes and brown bust's,they are.Some other's were busts for other reasons,such as injuries.Gonzo,pitcock{video game addiction},mcclendon{can't play} to name a few.I understand the draft is a hit and miss,and polian has done his share of great drafting as well.I think the fact that our recent number ones look like busts is fresh on everyone's mind.

This is true, im just hoping his play continues to improve. Im still not a fan of his at all

I agree with everything you say here and I have been saying similar things (about the organization) for a long time, that we as fans based our opinions on about 1/10th the information the organization has. After hearing that they tape and review the tape of every practice I may modify that to 1/20th the information.

And it's funny watching how things get blown out of proportion. Coyer was asked about Tryon and he says asks Caldwell (which I agree and stated at the time that was the proper response) and he follows it up with, I like him he's competitive. And so many people took that to mean that Coyer was saying Tryon should be starting over Lacey when all he said was he liked him.

Personally, I think this is nothing more than a numbers game, they needed to get another safety to back up Lefeged, they probably are comfortable with with Powers, Lacey, T. Johnson, Thomas and Rucker at the CB spots and depth.

You're probably right and 1/20th of the information is usually enough to start crazy forum threads.....but ya gotta admit that this particular situation, being played out in an uncharacteristically public manner, is starting to make it sound like these guys...

Abbott-Costello---Whos-on-First-Pos.jpg

We absolutely have nowhere near the knowledge of what's going on in the front office, nor should we....but partial information by way of "tweets" from the player and the owner doesn't help either....and fan reaction understandably gets stoked up.

We saw this with Irsay's comments at that breakfast about Manning....and then his walk-back. They're usually more disciplined with the info than this, aren't they?

Read Phillip B. Wilson's blog today. Confirms what many have said for yrs..

http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2011/09/29/good-morning-colts-fans-sept-29-2011/

Ahh yes, Phillip B. Wilson the Stampede Blue of the IndyStar. This Twain quote fits Wilson as well, “Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”

One based on Tryon's tweet he assumes Bill Polian doing that. Why not Chris, he's the general manager.

Then he believes Tryon's tweet but totally dismisses Irsay's tweet. That's convenient.

Oh well, people will believe what they want.

Ahh yes, Phillip B. Wilson the Stampede Blue of the IndyStar. This Twain quote fits Wilson as well, “Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”

One based on Tryon's tweet he assumes Bill Polian doing that. Why not Chris, he's the general manager.

Then he believes Tryon's tweet but totally dismisses Irsay's tweet. That's convenient.

This explains the debate in this thread. If you think Polian is a control freak and Caldwell is a puppet you will believe Tryon's tweet. If you think the Colts would not lie then you will believe Irsay.

I am sure the truth is some where in between.

I honestly do not care anymore because Lacey and Tryon neither deserve to start on any NFL team. God I hope we can get a shut down corner in next years draft.

Tryons out and its his fault only and thats all I can say on the subject

yes, it is his fault. he is better than Lacey and better players have to go like Brandstater outplayed Painter and they cut him. I can't see why it is Tryons fault and to be honest I cant stand Bill Polian anymore. He made some good decisions in the past but he also made some weird decisions in the last 2 years

I also posted this in the other Tryon thread, pretty interesting and confirms what many have thought for yrs..

http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2011/09/29/good-morning-colts-fans-sept-29-2011/

I'm sorry balzer but this doesn't confirm anything. It's just Phil's speculation about what's going on and he is basing his speculation on the same thing people on this forum use to base their speculations.

I could really think of some other players that should have had to the boot before Tryon. Ie: Hughes, Brown.. realizing they still have time on they're contracts. Ya, I realize that so a bunch of you need not get your panties in a wad. But hey, I'm just a "Monday night quarter back". Only those posters claiming to know everything have the right to post they're opinions. Not me.. but hey, whata I know. Besides the Colts are so weak and under sized at CB and SS they continue to give up huge 3rd down conversions and play so far off the WR's its easy completions for good QB's..... ie: the Steelers game.

That one tackle he made( Rather the tight end fell over him) must have impressed Caldwell. One good thing, Lacy will never get hurt. He never makes contact with anyone.

Recently I saw him come up and make and excellent play, laying on a hit neat the line of scrimmage. He as an All-Rookie CB who had his struggles last year and he is still young, in his 3rd year. Certainly a solid nickel or dime back. Starter quality, maybe not, but this hate on Lacy stuff is really unjustifiably to the extreme.

RE: Tryon, it is a surprise and disappointment to see he was let go. There's obviously something to this, behind the scenes. Tryon ought to lay off the tweets, though. That stuff could really affect his marketability.

I could really think of some other players that should have had to the boot before Tryon. Ie: Hughes, Brown.. realizing they still have time on they're contracts. Ya, I realize that so a bunch of you need not get your panties in a wad. But hey, I'm just a "Monday night quarter back". Only those posters claiming to know everything have the right to post they're opinions. Not me.. but hey, whata I know. Besides the Colts are so weak and under sized at CB and SS they continue to give up huge 3rd down conversions and play so far off the WR's its easy completions for good QB's..... ie: the Steelers game.

Our secondary played bad last year with Tryon getting several starts and plenty of reps. He didn't fix anything.

I honestly like the way he played, and I expected him to be a starter this year. I thought we were counting on him to play a significant role for us, but he never even got on the field. I don't get it. I might say I think it's a mistake, given we still have Lacey, and he's nothing better than a dimeback (so why not cut him instead?) I'm confused about this move, and I don't really like it. But I also remember that the Redskins were going to cut Tryon before the season last year, and we gave up a 7th rounder to get him. He reportedly had work ethic issues in Washington, which is why they were going to cut him. Maybe he didn't practice well, maybe he had clashes with the coaches. I don't know. I think he was one of our four most talented corners, though, so I don't get it.

That said, we weren't expecting Terrance Johnson to be able to fill a starting role, and he looks like he'll be manning that spot for the time being. Did a great job in the preseason and Sunday against the Steelers. We obviously have Powers. We also have Thomas and Rucker, recent draft picks that have played well when given the opportunity. So I don't think Tryon was all that important to our team, but I still don't like the move. If it was about the roster spot, Lacey would be the obvious candidate. If it's about Tryon personally, then that sucks. Not the end of the world, not a make-or-break move. I just would rather have him than not.

Recently I saw him come up and make and excellent play, laying on a hit neat the line of scrimmage. He as an All-Rookie CB who had his struggles last year and he is still young, in his 3rd year. Certainly a solid nickel or dime back. Starter quality, maybe not, but this hate on Lacy stuff is really unjustifiably to the extreme.

This is one area where the criticism should be directed at the coaches, because I don't think Lacey should be starting under any circumstances. He's a dimeback, nickelback if you're in a pinch. So I don't have a problem with him or his presence on the roster, I just don't think he should start. I fully expected Tryon to be the starter opposite Powers this year, once Hayden was cut. For whatever reason, he didn't earn the job, but I don't understand how Lacey did. I'm very glad we have Terrance Johnson, who has played really well, and I'm excited to see Thomas and Rucker as the weeks go on.

wow! that paints a little different spin on things, maybe that is not a little smirk on coaches

face,maybe he is chewing off the inside of his lips.

The picture it paints is that Phil Wilson isn't a journalist, he is just another fan with an irrational agenda - he just has a bigger pulpit. That blog doesn't say much that isn't already being discussed here - he just chose to interpret it as it suited him.

And the Sporting News draft guide lists him as a safety and says he "hits like a linebacker". Not so good in coverage.

Can we assume that Tryon being released has as much to do with Bullitt being IRed as anything?

In other words, Hines is replacing Bulllitt, Tryon is gone to make room for Orlovsky. I assume that they weren't about to release Thomas or Rucker, but they needed more depth at Safety, and they needed a roster spot.

Man, you're trying to bring good sense to a world that doesn't want it. lol Seriously though the fact that your post was virtually ignored proves that most people are simply looking to point fingers and make someone burn for the 0-3 record.

Funny when asked why Tryon wasn't starting last week Philip B said Coyer told him to see Caldwell, not Polian...

Exactly, first Caldwell is the evil puppet master, but now based on the tweet of a player who was just waived, people change their tune and now believe that Caldwell is merely the puppet.

If this was Caldwells decision, then we wouldn't have Tryon stating on his Twitter that Caldwell is good. Kind of insuates that it isn't from Caldwell, we don't believe it to be from Coyer since he said go ask Caldwell. We can only believe that Polian said to keep Lacey in over Tryon and Tyron was probably barking about it in the clubhouse. Polian probably told him to pack his stuff and leave. After seeing Tryon last year and Lacey this year, it can't be on production. Will this devide the locker room? I have to wonder. Almost need a players only meeting to kind of hash this out behind closed dorrs and just play ball with who is there now and put it behind them. It still sucks though cause Lacey is terrible.

Or we can believe that Tryon is just upset about being waived and by getting bumped for playing time in favor of Terrence Johnson. I swear some people treat twitter like it's an accredited news source. Instead of people saying that Irsay and others need to stop tweeting, maybe those people need to stop reading twitter since they seem to have difficulty distinguishing it from verifiable fact.

I have no clue what happened to Tryon, then they bring in 50,000 players with a new SS, OL, WR, LB, and resigning Orlavsky & bringing in Brody. I have no idea what they're doing, your guess is as good as mine.

Really? You have no idea what they're doing? They bring in Dan and Brody to try out and sign Dan...this couldn't possibly be because our starter suffered a concussion last week and may not even be able to play Monday and we might just need someone in case Painter gets hurt? A new Strong safety and coverage LB...I'm sure this has nothing to do with Bullitt and Brackett being placed on IR. And Tryon gets released to make room on the roster for the new SS....Tryon who has been with the colts long enough to break the starting lineup if he were good enough to do so, and also Tryon who lost playing time to Terrence Johnson last week. Yep, these moves make no sense at all. ;)

I think it's the fans, not the FO, in dunce mode.

Agreed :)

Really, at this point does anyone really know who's running this outfit? No.

Coyer says talk to Caldwell. Tryon says Caldwells a good coach and it wasn't his fault. Irsay says Caldwell is the one that makes the calls. Some Fans and columnists speculate its Caldwell, then retract to say its Polians call.

Here is one fact: NONE of us really know and may never know who runs the show, who makes the calls, ect. Maybe it just simply isn't any of our business, but we as fans are curious. And folks, that's ok.

Exaclty people hear what they want to hear including Philip B. I know I've quoted Philip B. before and I normally do it when he passes along news but he is really a blogger who happens to be paid by the star. He's not a beat writter like Mike Chappel. He's a cross between Chappel and Kravitz. He gets paid to report some news but to also put his own spin on it. Just a week ago when he reported the Coyer thing he wrote the story to make it sound like it was Caldwell's call. Now He's flipping on that based on Tryon's tweet.

A lot of people seem to be taking Tryon's tweet as the gospial truth. It is possiable Tryon heard what he wanted to hear from Caldwell. I am betting Caldwell when asked about it did what he normally does when asked about something, he doesn't really give you a yes or no answer. That's one thing I've noticed about Caldwell he very rarely rules anything out. So I don't think it's that big of a reach to think that Caldwell talks to the players the same way he does the media in that regard. I could easily see a way Tryon heard what he wanted to hear from Caldwell.

A lot of people seem to be just dismissing what Jim Irsay is tweeting. As of this morning Jim Irsay has made two tweets saying it's Caldwell's call on who plays and he didn't exactly sugar coat it or say it in a tricky way. He was straight forward about it. When Jim Irsay tweets something in regards to the team it seems to be how things are done unless he's making a joke (like asking how to get to Favre's house) it has always been true. I don't think he just picked this to start lying over. If you read how he tweeted these they weren't dont in a joking manner which tells me Irsay is reporting what is really going on. Yet people just dismiss it because it's not what they want to hear.

Like you said people are going to believe what they want. Personally I have no idea what is going on over there. I just make my own guess and frankly I don't really care as long as we are winning (I know we aren't this year but Peyton freaking Manning is hurt and I think that is the reason more than anything else.) For all I care Bill Polian can come down and rip the head set off Jim Caldwell and start coaching the game if he wants too as long as we are winning which franly we have done for 11 of the past 12 years and 13 of the past 16 years. Even if we have a down year this year without Peyton Manning 13 years out of 17 in the playoffs isn't bad and that would be 11 out of 14 years for Bill Polian.