Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts getting calls about 24th pick.....

needanoline63

it would be sweet to trade down, but that would make the evening rather boring.

True but makes tomorrow better, a 2nd round pick most likely, preferably one at the top of the 2nd round.   Plus at least 2 3rd round picks I would think.  

Without a trade though tomorrow is kinda boring, 2 total rounds with only 1 pick for us.  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but if they trade to #15, I doubt they are interested in #24.  I'm just saying they have to either trade up or sell those picks off for future draft picks.  

Unless, of course, the trading partner is reluctant to move as far as #31.

9ers trade for our 24th, then with the other party.

You never know, they have so many picks.

Why would that be silly? I don't follow? I'd love to trade back with SF for either their 31st pick or even their 34th pick if they'll sweeten the offer a little more.....

Ian Rapaport is connecting the 49ers with the Jets in a trade for either #9 or #13

Ugg a double trade up like that would cost them a lot.  I can't see them doing that.  

2, 3 and a 5 at best in the current draft (OR) 2, 3 and a future 3rd is possible

The reason the Colts will be getting the most calls is because we are the only ones in the 24-32 range that does not have a second round pick. Teams will feel they will get a fair deal from us as opposed to anyone else that might fleece them, like the Ravens or Patriots :).

If there's someone the niners want at our spot, though, could work out for us, we trade down from 24 to 31 (and the niners have plenty of picks to offer), then we trade down again with a team early in the second so they can get dibs on a QB at the end of the first.

Ugg a double trade up like that would cost them a lot.  I can't see them doing that.  

And I'm not saying they would, but I don't think it'd cost them all that much.

We'd trade back 7 spots, which would probably net us an additional mid to late rounder.

The trade further up would be what costs the 9ers, but that'd happen anyway.

2, 3 and a 5 at best in the current draft (OR) 2, 3 and a future 3rd is possible

The reason the Colts will be getting the most calls is because we are the only ones in the 24-32 range that does not have a second round pick. Teams will feel they will get a fair deal from us as opposed to anyone else that might fleece them, like the Ravens or Patriots :).

Also because we are sandwiched between the Vikings who may be targeting two players that a lot of teams may have interest in. That said I would think that would make our chances of negotiating very difficult because the Vikings have mentioned trading back several times and have twice the ammo at where we are at to do it.

You already know it. And I'll be ordering my wings around 7:15ish

Great Guy, Great Guy  :D

Whilst I have the draft on record and will have to watch it tomorrow ( with me having school tomorrow and me being in the UK). But what I have done is been following this forum and listen to Invincible by MGK, Hall of fame by The Script and Almost Famous by Eminem to pump me up for the draft. :td:

Also because we are sandwiched between the Vikings who may be targeting two players that a lot of teams may have interest in. That said I would think that would make our chances of negotiating very difficult because the Vikings have mentioned trading back several times and have twice the ammo at where we are at to do it.

I have a feeling the 49ers, who have these gazillion picks, will package their No.31 and No.34 to move into the middle of round 1 because they can't find roster spots for everyone they pick if they stand pat, without question.

That might force the Vikes to do the same thing, IMO, to move up to the Saints spot giving up their No.23 and No.25 for the Saints No.15 and 3rd rounder since the Saints do not have a 2nd rounder. You never know. Once a few teams start moving up, the guys at the back of round 1 with more needs than us like the Vikes will start making moves, IMO

Warford I like, but Datone Jones is overrated IMO.

Negative.  Dantone Jones is a guy who consistenly puts pressure on the pocket.  He is a terrrific D-lineman and we would be smart to pick him up.  I'm for trading back though.  This draft has starters in rounds 2 and 3.  I'd much rather have 3 guys than 2.

@AlbertBreer: One factor with teams looking to deal into the bottom of Round 1 for a QB ... The finances. Fifth-year option cheaper than franchise tag.

@AlbertBreer: For picks 11-32, fifth-year option price is average of 3rd-25th highest salaries at a player's position. Much cheaper than franchise tag.

Another reason why drafting a QB in the mid to late 1st is a good option for QB needy teams

Negative.  Dantone Jones is a guy who consistenly puts pressure on the pocket.  He is a terrrific D-lineman and we would be smart to pick him up.  I'm for trading back though.  This draft has starters in rounds 2 and 3.  I'd much rather have 3 guys than 2.

Exactly. He was also pretty much the only player to give the latest no.1 draft pick, Eric Fisher, fits at the senior bowl. He has a lot of upside, has the frame to bulk up if need be and is a dynamic pass rusher from the inside, be it as a DE in our 3-4 or as a DT in nickel. My man crush deepens...  ;)

Last time I offered you guys ignored me like y'all didn't hear me offering lol

o no way!  I so took you up on that.  I actually ordered some honey BBQ wings from Pizza Hut the next night after you were talking about them last time LOL

if Rhodes falls to us at 24, i dont see us trading down. honestly i dont see us even letting cyrpien go if he falls to us. but if neither fall to us i wouldnt mind a early 2nd and 3rd round pick for our first rounder. Alex Okafor and Baccari Rambo or Poyer (if he falls to us) with our 2nd and 3rd pick we traded down for would be nice. 

I have a feeling the 49ers, who have these gazillion picks, will package their No.31 and No.34 to move into the middle of round 1 because they can't find roster spots for everyone they pick if they stand pat, without question.

That might force the Vikes to do the same thing, IMO, to move up to the Saints spot giving up their No.23 and No.25 for the Saints No.15 and 3rd rounder since the Saints do not have a 2nd rounder. You never know. Once a few teams start moving up, the guys at the back of round 1 with more needs than us like the Vikes will start making moves, IMO

i wouldnt mind taking the niners 31 and 34 but i dont see that happening. they may end up trading that for like one of the jets either their top 10 pick or their # 13 overall pick (they aquired for revis) but who knows, crazier things have happened. 

Since I've been banging the drum longest and loudest for trading back, it feels appropriate to chime in with some late thoughts before the draft starts....

History says a trade back from roughly 24 into the low to mid 40's should get the Colts at least a 2/3/5.    More if you can manage to do it in two separate trades....

But two things have happened in the last year that appears to have dramatically changed/lower compensation...

First, last year was the first year of the new CBA, and with rookie contracts now so cheap, it appears teams are much less willing to give proper compensation (according to the draft pick points chart)  and that took full effect last year.   Teams took less to trade back.

Second,  this year,  with the draft having great depth, seems most every team wants to trade back and add picks.   That appears especially the case for teams right around our pick at 24.    Reportedly, the Rams with two picks, the 2nd one at 22, and the Vikings with two picks on either side of us, 23 and 25 are also interested in trading back with their 2nd pick. 

By law of supply and demand,  with so many teams around the Colts wanting to trade back that's going to under-cut our ability to get full price to trade back.   In short,  not good for the Colts.   So, I'm now pessimistic of getting 2/3/5 to trade back.   We may only get 2/4/6 to trade back.    My view would be to still do it,  and then do it a 2nd time and get another 4 and likely a 7 to go with it.

Still....   it's a deep discount.   And that's disappointing.

My hope is that Grigson, with his relationship with Philly, can interest the Eagles in trading back into the 1st to get QB EJ Manuel.     Then,  trade back another time to approx 40-42.    Then,  we're in perfect shape to take the guard we want....

At least,  that my hope.....

Sorry this went so long....

Agreed with the trade back plans. I just don't see the consistency that I like to see from players in Datone Jones. I like him as a prospect but I would take him in the mid 2nd round not #24 overall.

@KBowenColts: Grigson: "You would always like to get more picks but until you know who falls to 24 than who knows."

@KBowenColts: Grigson: "We have our targets. The board is set and the hay is in the barn. We feel good about it."

@KBowenColts: Grigson on the draft's depth: "It's going to be really thick from rounds 3-5. There's going to be a lot of good players there, starters."

Grigson quotes on the Radio show with bob lamey like 20min ago

@KBowenColts: Grigson: "You would always like to get more picks but until you know who falls to 24 than who knows."

@KBowenColts: Grigson: "We have our targets. The board is set and the hay is in the barn. We feel good about it."

@KBowenColts: Grigson on the draft's depth: "It's going to be really thick from rounds 3-5. There's going to be a lot of good players there, starters."

Grigson quotes on the Radio show with bob lamey like 20min ago

For me this is the Hot Quote.....    that tells me we're trading back if someone we absolutely don't love falls to us at 24...

If that stud isn't there,  we're taking any and all calls to trade back......

My heart is beginning to pound.....