Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Calling it now....With the 24th pick Colts select Giovani Bernard..

With the 24th pick the Colts select Giovani  Bernard...I'm sure this will not receive much support, but I'm calling this as the Colts pick and will not say another thing about RB's until after the draft and I'm proven right..Now time to admit I was wrong which is a novel concept to some...I was wrong about Eddie Lacy, I was basing my opinion strictly off of what I saw of him last year and while his play on the field was impressive after watching his Pro Day workout for the first time and seeing how flabby he looked and nonchalant he seemed about the whole process I've completely changed my mind...He has all the talent in the world, but I just don't think he wants it after hearing him interviewed for the first time....I have made no secret about my desire for a running back at the dismay of many EXPERT long-time posters here, and for all my fascination with Lacy it blinded me to Bernard who is the answer. I admit because of his height I never really paid attention to Bernard, and then I decided to watch the tape and I saw the truth...I encourage you to do the same!!! Can you say the next Maurice Jones-Drew?? This pick will come out of left field and shock many fans on draft day, but this will be the PICK, JUST WAIT..I believe Grigson signed a starting RT and Guard in free agency so he could draft the player with the WOW factor and impact in the 1st...He will address the line in the 3rd and add a Guard who can compete for a starting spot this year or down the road....Watch the tape and give opinions please..I'm sure I know what to expect, but maybe some will see the TRUTH..This guy is the true HOME-RUN HITTER not only out of the backfield, but in the return game as well ,that we haven't had since FAULK. He is also, an outstanding receiver which is KEY in the West Coast. The addition of this 1 piece will make our Offense the scariest and best in the NFL.    www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTpmzcGPupm       Direct link below

Here's a question for you......

Since it was you, yourself who said you can find a good RB in the 2nd round (and I strongly agree)  why aren't you advocating trading back and taking a RB in the 2nd??

Because if you take Bernard with the 24th overall pick,  you'll have taken a 2nd, or maybe even a 3rd round RB in the first round just to prove a point.

But, then again,  you wouldn't be you unless you did something like that....

I look forward to your answer.....

Here's a question for you......

Since it was you, yourself who said you can find a good RB in the 2nd round (and I strongly agree)  why aren't you advocating trading back and taking a RB in the 2nd??

Because if you take Bernard with the 24th overall pick,  you'll have taken a 2nd, or maybe even a 3rd round RB in the first round just to prove a point.

But, then again,  you wouldn't be you unless you did something like that....

I look forward to your answer.....

If we can get him in the 2nd and we have a willing trade partner I'm all for it....I haven't had a lot of time to really look at some prospects until last week and I completely missed the boat on Bernard...I just think we need that home run hitter in the backfield and Bernard actually has the HIGHEST  draft grade of any running back, not to mention he is adept at receiving out of the backfield...Whats with the need to insult??? Everyone has their own opinion...My view is we addressed offensive and defensive line in free agency and brought in 2 Olb's and before we act like their is a major need maybe we should see them perform??? Grigson did this so he can have the freedom to pick the impact player he wants and I believe he will go RB or WR in the first unless Cooper falls or he trades back into the 2nd..If he trades back into the 2nd I can see him taking Warford too...I think Bernard will be the pick and I'll stick with that until the draft..Some stuff on here I'm not serious about, but this I am.

24th pick in the third round maybe.

He won't get out of the 1st which is why trading into the 2nd is not an option...We could trade back in the first if we have any takers, maybe to 30th. BrentMc is right about Cincy...He won't get past them. 

Makes more sense to me than a Front-7 player on defense. Makes more sense than a WR or CB to me too.  However, I'll never agree, since I'm firmly in the OG camp and I think the best way to improve the running game is to get a true road-grader of a RG (probably Warford)...

I believe you want Rhodes...If your right and you may be I'll be the first to acknowledge it...All we can do is wait.

Yes absolutely...we should take the best CB still on the board..either Rhodes, Trufant, or Banks hopefully.  

ps. I kid...I would be happy with Jarvis Jones, Barkevious Mingo, Warmack, Cooper, Bjoern Werner, Sylvester Williams etc....but NO running back in round 1 though.

He won't get out of the 1st which is why trading into the 2nd is not an option...We could trade back in the first if we have any takers, maybe to 30th. BrentMc is right about Cincy...He won't get past them. 

He has a 2nd round grade, He dont have alot of breakaway speed, weak in pass protection (uses cut block quite a bit)and missed 2 games last year do to a knee injury, he is a pick for some team that is one or maybe two pieces away from being complete

Yes absolutely...we should take the best CB still on the board..either Rhodes, Trufant, or Banks hopefully.  

ps. I kid...I would be happy with Jarvis Jones, Barkevious Mingo, Warmack, Cooper, Bjoern Werner, Sylvester Williams etc....but NO running back in round 1 though.

Here is the thing with the whole CB issue....It would be great to have 4 good CBs , but if we go CB and he turns out good and isn't a bust, 1 of 2 things will happen..We will let Vontae Davis walk at the end of the season or once lets say Rhodes develops we won't be able to pay him in 4 years and he will walk...Another poster on here talked about us having 38 million in cap room next year as if that's a lot...You have to think about the future and not this year...Davis will be an 8-10 million$$ guy if he performs this year, as will DHB if he breaks out like I think he will... Costanzo is gonna need to be paid shortly..Bethea will need paid also..Luck is gonna be a 25 million dollar guy and his contract will be up at the same time or a year after Ballard, Hilton, Allen, Fleenor and all these guys will not be cheap to keep if we keep them assuming they continue to improve...Most of the free agents we signed were 3 or 4 year deals and if they perform as hoped they will need raises as well..Donald Brown will be gone next year for sure. That leaves us with Ballard, and it is crucial in this league to have 2 good backs...We are much more in need of depth at running back than CB IMO...It will be a wasted pick because we won't be able to pay 4 CB's starter $$$$...No matter what your gonna have shortcomings somewhere..WE got 2 starters for the O-line and D-line already and we will take a guard in the 3rd, not to mention 1 or 2 of the guys that were young a had trial by fire on the o-line will come back this year improved and much better and more determined this year, and if Iljalana is healthy that's just a bonus..Bernard is a home run guy who will make BIG plays in the running and passing game, and he actually is the highest graded running back in the draft and if you can't see it on the video Idk what to tell you??? He reminds me of MJD and would be a lethal combo with Ballard..We have good talent and speed at receiver already and now adding a big play guy in the backfield I don't know how teams could stop us...I've said in other threads the next 4 years will be our best chance to put the talent around Luck to be dominant and win the Super Bowl because after that we are gonna have to make tough decisions about who we can afford to keep...We will always be in the conversation for Super Bowls as long as Luck is our QB, but right now we have the luxury of adding the playmakers to give us the edge and inpredictability...

Go from Eddie Lacy to Giovanni Bernard...Next couple of days it will be Montee Ball

Never...It's Bernard and only Bernard after I saw the Lacy workout and interview....Can't make a guy want it , and I just don't think he wants it despite having rare physical skills. I like Ball in later rounds true, but Bernard is the only RB I'd take in the 1st...

He has a 2nd round grade, He dont have alot of breakaway speed, weak in pass protection (uses cut block quite a bit)and missed 2 games last year do to a knee injury, he is a pick for some team that is one or maybe two pieces away from being complete

No breakaway speed??? What tape did you see that on??? He has speed, shake,power and is the BEST receiver by far...I can deal with cut-blocking if it gets the job done..He will get better in pass protection...

No breakaway speed??? What tape did you see that on??? He has speed, shake,power and is the BEST receiver by far...I can deal with cut-blocking if it gets the job done..He will get better in pass protection...

I said he dont have alot of breakaway speed(he does not have elite speed, he can be caught from behind), yeah he can jump cut (I said nothing about that in my original post) nor did I say anything about his receiving ability, which I know he has

Here is the thing with the whole CB issue....It would be great to have 4 good CBs , but if we go CB and he turns out good and isn't a bust, 1 of 2 things will happen..We will let Vontae Davis walk at the end of the season or once lets say Rhodes develops we won't be able to pay him in 4 years and he will walk...Another poster on here talked about us having 38 million in cap room next year as if that's a lot...You have to think about the future and not this year...Davis will be an 8-10 million$$ guy if he performs this year, as will DHB if he breaks out like I think he will... Costanzo is gonna need to be paid shortly..Bethea will need paid also..Luck is gonna be a 25 million dollar guy and his contract will be up at the same time or a year after Ballard, Hilton, Allen, Fleenor and all these guys will not be cheap to keep if we keep them assuming they continue to improve...Most of the free agents we signed were 3 or 4 year deals and if they perform as hoped they will need raises as well..Donald Brown will be gone next year for sure. That leaves us with Ballard, and it is crucial in this league to have 2 good backs...We are much more in need of depth at running back than CB IMO...It will be a wasted pick because we won't be able to pay 4 CB's starter $$$$...No matter what your gonna have shortcomings somewhere..WE got 2 starters for the O-line and D-line already and we will take a guard in the 3rd, not to mention 1 or 2 of the guys that were young a had trial by fire on the o-line will come back this year improved and much better and more determined this year, and if Iljalana is healthy that's just a bonus..Bernard is a home run guy who will make BIG plays in the running and passing game, and he actually is the highest graded running back in the draft and if you can't see it on the video Idk what to tell you??? He reminds me of MJD and would be a lethal combo with Ballard..We have good talent and speed at receiver already and now adding a big play guy in the backfield I don't know how teams could stop us...I've said in other threads the next 4 years will be our best chance to put the talent around Luck to be dominant and win the Super Bowl because after that we are gonna have to make tough decisions about who we can afford to keep...We will always be in the conversation for Super Bowls as long as Luck is our QB, but right now we have the luxury of adding the playmakers to give us the edge and inpredictability...

Just 1 thing I believe Bethea won't be here after his contract is up

I said he dont have alot of breakaway speed(he does not have elite speed, he can be caught from behind), yeah he can jump cut (I said nothing about that in my original post) nor did I say anything about his receiving ability, which I know he has

He has good speed, but more important he gets up to top speed very fast..The only back with ELITE speed is McCaleb and I wouldn't mind us getting him in the 7th or as a UDA. Don't be surprised if we get 2 backs or a back and a Denard Robinson hybrid.

He has good speed, but more important he gets up to top speed very fast..The only back with ELITE speed is McCaleb and I wouldn't mind us getting him in the 7th or as a UDA. Don't be surprised if we get 2 backs or a back and a Denard Robinson hybrid.

He does have good speed, But I disagree that getting up to speed very fast is more important, 60 miles an hour is still 60 miles an hour no matter if you can get up there in 5 seconds or 10 seconds, that 120 miles an hour even though it takes longer to build up to I'll take, I like him but there will be better players available

Bored again??? Must be for that rant. That entire post is Dear God worthy.

DHB will not be a $8-10 million annual guy. No chance.

Most, if not all of the free agents signed this year will never see a 2nd contract with the Colts.

Bethea days as a Colts are numbered. If he does sign again with Indy, it will be a team-friendly deal.

Again I ask, why get so tied into a player or position? Grigson is going to draft the BPA and that could be any position.

One thing I would bet my house on - it will not be your Giovanni guy.

I do agree that the next 4 years is the best chance to build a dominant team...but that's about it.  I am not on the "we must draft a CB in the first round" wagon...just said that to "rile you up" ;).  If Rhodes is there though and we do take him I'm certainly not going to complain.  We can still re-sign Davis to a reasonable contract and let Rhodes develop.  If anything, in a couple of years we have a valuable trade piece if it looks like we won't be able to pay everyone.  

I'm not positive that bethea gets re-signed.  This will be a telling year.  He had a pretty off year last year so we'll see this year how he does with improved play at the CB and SS positions.  Hopefully last year was just a fluke due to having very little talent around him.  Either way, this is also a very deep safety class.  I wouldn't be upset taking TJ McDonald and grooming him to take over next year and let Bethea walk, unless Bethea really impresses this year.

If DHB wants 8-10 mill next year then I doubt he remains with the colts.  He'd have to have a pro bowl year this year for that to happen.  I think it's more likely we take a WR early in the draft next year...maybe even this year.

Honestly, my preference for our first round pick this year is either a pass rusher or OG.  I know you keep saying that there won't be an elite pass rusher available when we pick but that's not necessarily true.  Though I would rather take a guy like Damontre Moore who has a few question marks and work on developing him rather than take a RB in round 1.  The only positions I'd want to take less than RB in the first round would be QB, TE, P or K.  There will be plenty of quality backs in rounds 3-5 (I know we don't have a 5th round pick but acquiring one via trade is not out of the question).

I want this guy, hopefully 4th, but even in the 3rd.-

He ran a 4.6 at combine (as fast a Lacy did at his pro day, which are always a touch optimistic) and finished all drills s  Big and strong running back.

I didn't think Lacy to be a first rounder, let alone Bernard.

I want this guy, hopefully 4th, but even in the 3rd.-

He ran a 4.6 at combine (as fast a Lacy did at his pro day, which are always a touch optimistic) and finished all drills s Big and strong running back.

I didn't think Lacy to be a first rounder, let alone Bernard.

That's who I want to get need some of my Spartans on the Colts!!

Holy lack of paragraphs Batman!

I don't think Bernard is better than Christine Michael. Michael is bigger than Edgerrin James weight wise, fast as the dickens, and is a weapon in the passing and running game. Michaels profile fits a power running game better than what Bernard does in my opinion. I don't see why we would be picking Bernard in the 1st round when he has a 3rd round draft projection. That would be a huge reach.

I don't think Bernard is better than Christine Michael. Michael is bigger than Edgerrin James weight wise, fast as the dickens, and is a weapon in the passing and running game. Michaels profile fits a power running game better than what Bernard does in my opinion. I don't see why we would be picking Bernard in the 1st round when he has a 3rd round draft projection. That would be a huge reach.

According to NFL.com he is a projected 2nd rounder(84.0 draft grade) but I get your point and agree

His draft grade is 13 points higher, he is the highest ranked RB, and has been linked to more than 1 team as a first round pick and Lacy is falling...I like Michael, he reminds me of Thomas Jones more than anything and Thomas Jones ain't no "baby'...I'd be happy with Michael for sure, but Bernard is MJD with better receiving skills so he is my pick if Cooper and Warmack are gone, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they go Margus Hunt in the first and that wouldn't make me sad either, the age doesn't bother me as much as some.

According to NFL.com he is a projected 2nd rounder(84.0 draft grade) but I get your point and agree

He has been linked to the Bengals and Cowboys in the 1st...I'm gonna stick by him as my pick..I think we like him, and I could see us trading back a few spots and getting him before Cincy...

He has been linked to the Bengals and Cowboys in the 1st...I'm gonna stick by him as my pick..I think we like him, and I could see us trading back a few spots and getting him before Cincy...

I have read a couple places we like him, and Cincy did re-sign injury ridden Bernard Scott for insurance...I will stay with what I said earlier he goes 32 to the Bengals.

I personally like Michael better, but as the forum has discussed....Lacy, Michael, Bernard....and here I am with that old Stanford connection Taylor too  :)  I still say no RB in 1st....only if a trade back makes sense....and I am on board with Ballard. :colts:  :colts:  :colts: