Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Woods Visits Colts

WR Robert Woods visits Vikings, Colts, Jets, Eagles, but NFC West teams should be particularly interested in him http://wp.me/p14QSB-8g9J 

I like Woods a lot. He's not worth making a reach pick for, but he could maybe be worth a trade back. He's very talented, and was the best WR at the combine. 

Thoughts on him and how he fits with the Colts?

Gimmie a sec - imma do some research.

He's a very good WR.  Solid route running and good hands.  He compares to Reggie Wayne.  Many had him going in the top 5 this year before the season started.  But Marquise Lee balled all season and gained lots of attention, taking some attention away from Woods.  I would love if we got him, but he is likely to go in the 2nd (I could see the Pats taking him at the end of the first) and we don't have a 2nd rounder as of now

WR Robert Woods visits Vikings, Colts, Jets, Eagles, but NFC West teams should be particularly interested in him http://wp.me/p14QSB-8g9J 

I like Woods a lot. He's not worth making a reach pick for, but he could maybe be worth a trade back. He's very talented, and was the best WR at the combine. 

Thoughts on him and how he fits with the Colts?

I like Woods A Lot..   

I really like him...     I would be happy at 24 if Indy Bit..

Are we stockpiling WRs now? Pass rushers I get & I crave & covet in abundance from a rotation standpoint; multiple WR's, on the other hand, not so much..

Defense not offense stops crucial drives & wins Lombardi trophies; I will always believe that NFL testament pedigree. Make the opposition sweat, bleed, & fear you...

my only question is how would he ever see the field with guys like wayne hilton and DHB ahead of him

Because he's nice thats how. Not every WR runs every route well. R Moss - top 5 WR all-time maybe - terrible route runner. But R Woods was catching pure WCO routes all over the highlight film I just watched. The best part was it wasnt a film full of just TD's. It showcased alot of Y.A.C plays. Exactly what the WCO is designed to dominate with.

Its late & I dont wanna get too excited talking schemes - but Ill chop it up with you a little bit.

Say we come out in our base set - 3WR - 1RB - 1TE. The DEF will counter with a NICKLE usually - D Clark would make some teams come out in Dime if they had a slow Safety. Thats when we would line D Clark up as the SLOT with J Tamme at TE and do work running the ball. (I digress) -

Our base set has R Wayne in the SLOT - with DBH & T.Y outside - (eventually C Fleenor) but just as good D Allen at TE & V Ballard at RB. The WCO will work like this - The speed we have outside will keep Safeties over the top & out of the box. Without Safeties in the box - the DEF has 6 in the box - we have 5 OL 1 TE in the box- we run & throw underneath the Safeties & between the LB's all day.

Eventually - the DEF is going to have to make a decision. Either come up - or die a slow 15-play-death all game with Andrew completing about 72% of his passes. When they come up - play-action go-routes kills them.

The Offense we couldnt run consistantly with Peyton after Edge left & Addai couldnt stay health. (i digress)

R Woods gets on the field because every NFL player studies film for tendencies. We have to mix formations & personell to be successful over an 18 week season. R Woods gives us a player thats comfortable doing many things we need him to do already. Bubble screens - streak - fade - slant - slot - block - big red-zone target & most important show up in big games. Add that with the fact R Wayne can personally accelerate a WRs developement by about a year means big things - real fast.     

Because he's nice thats how. Not every WR runs every route well. R Moss - top 5 WR all-time maybe - terrible route runner. But R Woods was catching pure WCO routes all over the highlight film I just watched. The best part was it wasnt a film full of just TD's. It showcased alot of Y.A.C plays. Exactly what the WCO is designed to dominate with.

Its late & I dont wanna get too excited talking schemes - but Ill chop it up with you a little bit.

Say we come out in our base set - 3WR - 1RB - 1TE. The DEF will counter with a NICKLE usually - D Clark would make some teams come out in Dime if they had a slow Safety. Thats when we would line D Clark up as the SLOT with J Tamme at TE and do work running the ball. (I digress) -

Our base set has R Wayne in the SLOT - with DBH & T.Y outside - (eventually C Fleenor) but just as good D Allen at TE & V Ballard at RB. The WCO will work like this - The speed we have outside will keep Safeties over the top & out of the box. Without Safeties in the box - the DEF has 6 in the box - we have 5 OL 1 TE in the box- we run & throw underneath the Safeties & between the LB's all day.

Eventually - the DEF is going to have to make a decision. Either come up - or die a slow 15-play-death all game with Andrew completing about 72% of his passes. When they come up - play-action go-routes kills them.

The Offense we couldnt run consistantly with Peyton after Edge left & Addai couldnt stay health. (i digress)

R Woods gets on the field because every NFL player studies film for tendencies. We have to mix formations & personell to be successful over an 18 week season. R Woods gives us a player thats comfortable doing many things we need him to do already. Bubble screens - streak - fade - slant - slot - block - big red-zone target & most important show up in big games. Add that with the fact R Wayne can personally accelerate a WRs developement by about a year means big things - real fast.     

Nicely described.

As i see it there has been 3 receivers in this draft that have been compared to Wayne. Hopkins, Woods, Patton. I would like either of them

Im a big fan of R Wayne - he's my guy - but he was not & is not the WR of the future. I see alot of ppl say they want a WR "like" R Wayne - what - good? R Wayne is too short & too slow. R Wayne is the product of a rare combination of skills you wont see in any of these WRs for about another 3-5 years. The drive, work ethic & professionalism to bust his butt to be better than what his physical limitations tell us. 

Megatron might just be C Johnson Jr if he was 6'1 200 lbs & ran a 4'6 40 like R Wayne. We didnt know R eggie was Reggie when we got him - know why - we were looking for M Harrison. (my bad if thats before your time)

My point is simply R Wayne is not a WR you can shoot for - he is someone he has to inspire. None of the WR we have brought in recently are like R Wayne. All are faster - and now they are about to get bigger & faster.

I've said before Woods would be a solid target and that I wouldn't be supprised to see the Colts get him. I've mentioned him multiple times on here and advocated him. If he can stay healthy which he was able to last season he could be huge. This guy is one of if not the most polished receivers in this draft. He's very underated in my opinion.

In January and February and even into March I thought we might be able to steal Woods if we traded back into the top of the 2nd round.

And maybe we still can.

But I'm not nearly as confident of that.    My sense is his stock is rising and there's so much talk of New England and Houston and even San Francisco taking a WR early that we may have to stick at 24 rather than trade back.

I guess it all depends on just how much we love him....

I won't say he'll be the next Reggie Wayne because I'm not a fan of creating those kinds of expectations for rookies, but there really are a number of parallels to Reggie when he came out and Robert coming out this year. Reggie was more athletic and a little thicker, but both were very sound fundamentally, productive, yet overshadowed in college despite being quality talents themselves (Reggie by Santana Moss, Robert by Marquise Lee). 

I like Woods, maybe a little better than Patton, in USC he had some big games against good competition.. both really compare to Reggie, similar speed, maybe reggie was faster, but in that low 4'5, high 4'4, great hands, good routes, no fear going in the middle, remember that Wayne was the #30 pick, Woods should be around that area.. 28-40. He's solid.. but the other WRs in that range too..

As i see it there has been 3 receivers in this draft that have been compared to Wayne. Hopkins, Woods, Patton. I would like either of them

I agree, I have seen about 4 or 5 receiver comparisons to Reggie Wayne in this draft. Apparently, if you run good routes, catch the ball with your hands, and lack elite speed, you are Reggie Wayne. I just saw an article on Yahoo that compares Keenan Allen to Reggie Wayne.

I like hopkins and woods, but the price has to be right. Don't really like any of them at 24, but he draft will dictate that i suppose and you just have to trust grigson...he knows who he wants at this point...even if its considered a "reach".

I don't know, having all these wideouts visit us could mean one of three things in my mind:

1. Enough of a smoke signal to get the Vikes and Rams that are WR needy to go WR thus sending an OLB or DB further down
  2. Trading back and evaluating those that could be around at the bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd
  3. Drafting one of those at No.24

To me, 1. and 2. seem more likely than 3. based on the WRs we are trying out.

Woods is a solid WR with great hands who runs good routes and consistently gets separation from defenders.

If we reach and take him I have no problem...he is going to be Reggie Wayne II and we NEED to start planning for 'life after Reggie'.

He can phase into the system this year and spell off Reggie so that Reggie can get a breather...we need Reggie to last for the season and be fresh for the playoffs.

We can't take him at 24 and if we trade down there are many different players that would be better picks that fill needs than taking him.

Needs are most likley not really gonna have an effect on who we pick, except QB. tehy will have that effect.Thats about the only position you can gurantee we wont use an early pick on. Everything else will be fair game according to who the best player is thats will be available and who is highest rated player left on Grigs board. It could be someone we may not think much of but Grigs and the staff do. We dont know that person will be. Now that player may fill a position of need by some chance or he may not. It just depends.

I agree, I have seen about 4 or 5 receiver comparisons to Reggie Wayne in this draft. Apparently, if you run good routes, catch the ball with your hands, and lack elite speed, you are Reggie Wayne. I just saw an article on Yahoo that compares Keenan Allen to Reggie Wayne.

The Keenan Allen comparison was promoted -- if not originated -- by Bill Polian, of all people. But Reggie tested way faster than Allen. I'm often guilty of misremembering Reggie as being more polished and ready to play as a rookie than he actually was. Truth is that he wasn't this great route runner and hands catcher like we often say he was. He was actually pretty bad as a rookie, took some lumps his second year also, and finally started making it happen toward the end of his second season.

At this point, I think Robert Woods is better than Reggie was as a prospect, and if he were drafted to be a #2 receiver on a team with a good quarterback, his rookie season would probably triple up on Reggie's. He's basically what Reggie turned into in 2003, right now as a prospect. And I think he has a similar ceiling as Reggie, potential to be a 90 catch guy every year.

If you can't tell, I really like Woods. But I wouldn't take him at 24. No way. I'd be ecstatic if we traded down into the second round and still got him, plus another third rounder. But I don't get the sense Grigson is a trade down kind of guy.

The Keenan Allen comparison was promoted -- if not originated -- by Bill Polian, of all people. But Reggie tested way faster than Allen. I'm often guilty of misremembering Reggie as being more polished and ready to play as a rookie than he actually was. Truth is that he wasn't this great route runner and hands catcher like we often say he was. He was actually pretty bad as a rookie, took some lumps his second year also, and finally started making it happen toward the end of his second season.

At this point, I think Robert Woods is better than Reggie was as a prospect, and if he were drafted to be a #2 receiver on a team with a good quarterback, his rookie season would probably triple up on Reggie's. He's basically what Reggie turned into in 2003, right now as a prospect. And I think he has a similar ceiling as Reggie, potential to be a 90 catch guy every year.

If you can't tell, I really like Woods. But I wouldn't take him at 24. No way. I'd be ecstatic if we traded down into the second round and still got him, plus another third rounder. But I don't get the sense Grigson is a trade down kind of guy.

Yeah, Woods seems like the best fit to replace Reggie. 

He is rising up most draft boards and could go as high as late 1st.

NFLdraftscout has him rated as the 3rd best WR with a projected round of 1-2.

Maybe we can swap some picks with the 49ers and still get him.

Yeah, Woods seems like the best fit to replace Reggie. 

He is rising up most draft boards and could go as high as late 1st.

NFLdraftscout has him rated as the 3rd best WR with a projected round of 1-2.

Maybe we can swap some picks with the 49ers and still get him.

I'm seeing more and more boards that don't have him in the top 40. It's weird to me, I think he's the most pro ready receiver in the draft. Others measure better, or are bigger, or faster, or maybe even had more production. But I think Woods is going to be a hit right out of the gate. I'd love to have him.

I totally agree, I think he walks into someones training camp and produces right away.  

I would not mind Indy snagging him at 24 ..... 

I'm seeing more and more boards that don't have him in the top 40. It's weird to me, I think he's the most pro ready receiver in the draft. Others measure better, or are bigger, or faster, or maybe even had more production. But I think Woods is going to be a hit right out of the gate. I'd love to have him.

It's not about what round someone is drafted as much as how well that player can fit in your schemes and how productive you think the player can be. Generally if the 1st round pick can be a playmaker in year 1, I'd say its a successful pick.

Sure you can try to get more by passing on the player for another in round 1 and try to get him in the next, but that's a gamble. Is it worth the gamble or not? Remember that teams with late picks are likely treat it like the 2nd round and " reach" for the player that you really wanted but didn't want to reach.

So the colts are interested in 2 players that are projected to go in the 2nd in Hunt and Woods. How do we get both without a 2nd round pick?

Snag Woods in 1st a hope Hunt is in the 3rd?

Trade back for a 2nd and 3rd and hope either player is available?

It's not about what round someone is drafted as much as how well that player can fit in your schemes and how productive you think the player can be. Generally if the 1st round pick can be a playmaker in year 1, I'd say its a successful pick.

Sure you can try to get more by passing on the player for another in round 1 and try to get him in the next, but that's a gamble. Is it worth the gamble or not? Remember that teams with late picks are likely treat it like the 2nd round and " reach" for the player that you really wanted but didn't want to reach.

I don't think Woods will be the best player on the board or the player with the most potential to improve our roster at #24. I like him, and I would like if we drafted him, but I think it would be a mistake to take him that high.

I don't know anything, and my opinion doesn't matter, but there it is.

I don't think Woods will be the best player on the board or the player with the most potential to improve our roster at #24. I like him, and I would like if we drafted him, but I think it would be a mistake to take him that high.

I don't know anything, and my opinion doesn't matter, but there it is.

Either does my opinion, really. Who do you think would hold the best value for the Colts?

Either does my opinion, really. Who do you think would hold the best value for the Colts?

There's not a lot of consensus among the so-called experts boards, especially once you get into the high teens, low twenties and beyond. So I don't know who might be there or not. But if Okafor, Fluker, Warford, J. Williams, are available, I think they'd be better for us at #24.

I like him, and I would like if we drafted him, but I think it would be a mistake to take him that high.

I'm starting to feel we might be able to say that about whoever they end up taking at 24.

The Colts may have to reach a little for a player they like if nobody unexpectedly falls or they can't find a suitable trade partner to move down a bit. Or I guess they could trade up, but I would be surprised if they did.