Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keenan Allen timed a 4.71 and 4.75 at pro day.

That's a shockingly slow time for him.....     I'd guess he's not close to 100%.

The problem for him is,  there's no accurate time on him.   Teams will have to guesstimate for him based on tape....

My guess would be 4.55-4.60.     And I'm not sure most teams won't bump him to the top of the 2nd round.....

Feel bad for the kid....    he put it off as long as he could....    and now this?     

Allen's loss is going to be some team's gain....  he's good....

I would still take him at 24. He was never a burner, but he's amazing at getting YAC and running routes, which is why he fits perfectly in Pep's offense. Depending on who else is on the board at 24, we should consider taking him there.

One bad 40 time isn't going to drop a 1st round talent out of the 1st round. There will be teams who will invite him to a private workout and i'm sure they'll have all their questions answered then if they have any doubts. 

It is not just 1 run and hes not a burner.Hes a playmaker with great hands,you do not have to be a burner to stretch the field.But i still want an OLBr at 24 just my thought and a G in 3rd.

It is not just 1 run and hes not a burner.Hes a playmaker with great hands,you do not have to be a burner to stretch the field.But i still want an OLBr at 24 just my thought and a G in 3rd.

Agreed. Reggie is certainly no barn burner, yet he can get separation when needed and uses his soft hands to consistently and reliably reel it in. Speed isn't everything, and I think Allen possesses the requisite skills to excel in the league. With that being said, I would be very happy with a solid OLB in the 1st with a guard coming in the 3rd. Next year is our year to trade up if needed and draft our future number 1 wide out. 

I agree with Mayock and don't think it will affect his game:

"Let me preface the whole 40-yard conversation with this," Mayock told NFL Network's "Path to the Draft."

"Three months ago, I said -- if you watch this kid on tape -- if you like him, he's Anquan Boldin. If you don't like him, he's speed-deficient. So I don't really care what he runs in the 40. On tape, to me, he's a 4.55 guy all day long."

Mayock called Allen's 40 results "not a good time," but scouts and coaches told him they expect Allen to be faster down the road. What he gives you, according to Mayock, is "a big, powerful, wide receiver" who might go anywhere from No. 25 to No. 45 in the 2013 NFL Draft.

"I believe in his toughness and his hands," Mayock said, confirming that he would, indeed, "bang the table" for Allen (and in Mayock's universe, that's a compliment of the highest order).

I'd still take him at 24.  Game tape means a lot more to me then a 40 time.

And the 40 time is overrated.  A lot of the greatest receivers that have ever played in the NFL didn't have great 40 times or burning speed.  Instead they ran great routes and had great hands.  

It's useful to have a burner on your team to keep safeties occupied covering deep routes, and our burner is TY Hilton.

I like Allen as a guy to catch the short and medium routes.

No need to trade down, I'd take the guy straight up at 24.  Cause I don't think he will stay on the board for long if we trade down.  Heck he might not even make it to 24.  

My Q&A with Mel Kiper on SportsNation, here it is, pasted below:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/47612/nfl-draft-with-mel-kiper

Chad (Brownsburg, IN)

What do you make of Keenan Allen's bad 40 time at his Pro Day?

Mel Kiper

(2:20 PM)

He's coming off the knee injury. That's the thing. He's not a fast WR, you knew that going in. Just like Jarvis Jones. You knew he wasn't going to run a 4.5 40. But in Allen's guy, I thought he would be a 4.55 guy. He ran slower than expected. He's a tough physical receiver. He's a former safety. He's a tough kid. Aggressive. He's a possession WR. Not a vertical stretch guy.

Chad (Brownsburg, IN)

Mel Kiper

He's coming off the knee injury. That's the thing. He's not a fast WR, you knew that going in. Just like Jarvis Jones. You knew he wasn't going to run a 4.5 40. But in Allen's guy, I thought he would be a 4.55 guy. He ran slower than expected. He's a tough physical receiver. He's a former safety. He's a tough kid. Aggressive. He's a possession WR. Not a vertical stretch guy.

Nicely done Chad.    Props to you!

And I like Allen.    Would be happy if we take him.    But I'd be much happier if we take him at the top of the 2nd and not at 24.

He's not good value at 24...

Chad (Brownsburg, IN)

Mel Kiper

Just getting ready to post this....so you were the Chad in Brownsburg I was making fun of...my apologies.  :)  Nice job!!

Good question, and really the kind of 'fall' Grigson likes.

I was hoping to learn a little more in that chat with Mel, but only a half hour....:)

I think this probably hurts the Colts more than it helps them.. unless they want to draft Allen. It probably pushes him past the 24 slot that we have , so one more quality guy comes off the board before we're up. If there is little value difference between 24 and 30 , it probably doesn't mean much. In my estimation , I thought there were 24-25 picks that were of really good value and that was figuring 3 WR's and 1 QB in the first 24. I'm no expert but that's the way I see it.

Yeah, WR is not my first choice for our pick, i'm just speaking to the point. He's a great WR and maybe he's not a burner, but maybe he's the next Anquan Bolden. He's noted to be a 4.55 player on tape and he could develop into a #1 WR especially in a WC offense that doesn't require burners as much as big physical WR's such as Allen. 

@StampedeBlue: Per @James_Dator, the Colts were heavily repped at Keenan Allen's Pro Day. WR coach asked him to run various routes. Showed high interest.

I did not feel it until he ran the slow 40.....I have been feeling bigs at 24.....I hope we stay DT, OLB OG BPA.....but all of this quiet is making me wonder aloud.....Allen...Woods.

Kiper said today Woods will help right now. I do not disagree.

This guy has 4 videos of Keenan Allen running a route at his pro day. Just click on the video and go to his page and look through his videos for the other 3, they should be at the top.

I think he looked very slow in the workouts...loved the one handed grab though....like a rebounder.   :)

I looked at the UCLA film.  Looked very quick in pads.  That knee is troublesome Htown.  Loved the underneath routes in that game.....

I did not feel it until he ran the slow 40.....I have been feeling bigs at 24.....I hope we stay DT, OLB OG BPA.....but all of this quiet is making me wonder aloud.....Allen...Woods.

Kiper said today Woods will help right now. I do not disagree.

I am sensing E.J.Manuel might be 2nd QB to come off the board late round 1. Someone will fall in love with him and move up. Every fan and their mother of a team picking late round 1 wants to trade down but only 1 or 2 will end up doing so.

Here is to hoping the Colts are one of those teams!!! :) Now, all we root for is all those top of round 2 QBs to have outstanding Pro Days. Hey, Locker went No.8 and Ponder went No.12, enough said!!! :)

Well, Grigson was part of staff that drafted DJax from Cal.

I am sensing E.J.Manuel might be 2nd QB to come off the board late round 1. Someone will fall in love with him and move up. Every fan and their mother of a team picking late round 1 wants to trade down but only 1 or 2 will end up doing so.

Here is to hoping the Colts are one of those teams!!! :) Now, all we root for is all those top of round 2 QBs to have outstanding Pro Days. Hey, Locker went No.8 and Ponder went No.12, enough said!!! :)

Well, Grigson was part of staff that drafted DJax from Cal.

Who are you thinking????  Allen?  So many ways this thing could go...so fun!

His 40 didn't matter. Every scout new coming in that he doesn't have elite speed. Like Mayock and countless others said, Allen's knee is 100% but he doesn't have but 80% of his explosiveness. That comes last with the injury he sustained. Allen excels at making tough catches over the middle and in the slot. He excels at making people miss. Just like Reggie Wayne, he excels at running great routes in order to get open. I will bet anything that he's a 4.5 guy when completely healthy.