Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Top 10 Quarterbacks in the NFL Entering 2013

shakedownstreet

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a number of ascending skill players surrounding him, Luck will be even better in year two, and there's a strong chance that his ranking on this list next year will be even higher.

Thats a pretty exclusive club .  Luck  8  he did the most with the least IMO with all the upgrades this 2013 season just can't come soon enough ..

Go Colts

I'm not sure that I fully agree with the article. It's projecting who the best QBs will be next year, and a lot of it has to do with the team that the QB is on, not just based on the effectiveness of the QB.

For example, Russel Wilson is a very good QB, but not better than Luck. He's placed ahead of Luck becuase he plays for the Seahaws who have positioned themselves to be one of the deepest teams in all of the NFL. You can site statistics all you want in comparison of the two, but we've discussed ad nausium the differences in the offenses, especially the Colt's deep threat offense and it's inverse relationship to completion percentage, and positive relationship to INTs.

I would move Flacco down and I think Kaepernick is a better QB, but Flacco did win the biggest game in the head to head matchup between the two.  I don't get if the list is best QBs or best QBs on best teams.  Luck is better than Wilson and I would take Luck over Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, but those guys are on better teams.

I'm also surprised people are so shocked by Peyton's numbers.  This is Peyton Manning.  He has been making it look easy for the last 13 years.  I didn't think there would be any question that he would be back to his normal self.  I do understand how the injury had so many questions around it, but still...it's Peyton!

Bleacher Report at it again... :bored:

Folks can call oput BR all they want.  They are right often enough when fans no better than themselves/myself  'get the floor' for an Op Ed.  But some have true sportswriting skill and credentials, while others some decent skill, connections, and insight.  This guy is a Giants fan, and placed Luck ahead of Eli.  He also-

"Graduated from Fordham University in 2005, where he served as the Sports Manager at WFUV, 90.7 FM in NYC. Began working at SiriusXM NFL Radio in September 2005, and now serves as the Executive Producer of the SiriusXM Blitz, hosted by Adam Schein & Rich Gannon. He's worked with myriad NFL talent, from Jerry Rice to Bill Polian, and has personal relationships with many players and every NFL organization."

So when folks decide to call out this guy, please make sure you post your credentials and your alternative opinion that sways me and clearly shows you know more than he.  Otherwise I think folks might have sour grape syndrome because they can't/aren't published; even in Bleacher Report. ;)

Folks can call oput BR all they want.  They are right often enough when fans no better than themselves/myself  'get the floor' for an Op Ed.  But some have true sportswriting skill and credentials, while others some decent skill, connections, and insight.  This guy is a Giants fan, and placed Luck ahead of Eli.  He also-

"Graduated from Fordham University in 2005, where he served as the Sports Manager at WFUV, 90.7 FM in NYC. Began working at SiriusXM NFL Radio in September 2005, and now serves as the Executive Producer of the SiriusXM Blitz, hosted by Adam Schein & Rich Gannon. He's worked with myriad NFL talent, from Jerry Rice to Bill Polian, and has personal relationships with many players and every NFL organization."

So when folks decide to call out this guy, please make sure you post your credentials and your alternative opinion that sways me and clearly shows you know more than he.  Otherwise I think folks might have sour grape syndrome because they can't/aren't published; even in Bleacher Report. ;)

Manning and 12 are both listed and there are Colts fans on this thread saying that BR sucks. And it does. Heck, BR knows that BR sucks. I don't care where he graduated, this website is known for horrible articles and viewpoints on things. Sour grapes...ha.

Manning and 12 are both listed and there are Colts fans on this thread saying that BR sucks. And it does. Heck, BR knows that BR sucks. I don't care where he graduated, this website is known for horrible articles and viewpoints on things. Sour grapes...ha.

But he's hung out with Jerry Rice and Bill Polian. That means it's totally impossible for him to make crappy lists.  :sarcasm:

Well his education, work, and connections do give him substantially more credibility than any poster here, until they show/prove otherwise.  And maybe his list is crappy, but debate on those terms, not only because BR published it.

I trust some articles on BR ( depending on writer) much more than a good many posters here. Yes, I said it.

(not a majority, but more than a couple...  I like those that research and show why they feel the way they do, as I try to do)

Lets go back 12 months..

In my mind..Manning's injury is the most serious that I have ever seen a QB return from....

Many suggested that he simply retire/.....and many said Indy wouild be foolish to keep him.

Terms like 'rag arm' were throw around...

I'll throw this out. I'm continually frurstrated when well-meaning folks say that a QB 'won the Super Bowl' 

or that Manning (or Ryan or Romo) have lost so many playoff games... 

In the 4th quarter of the Denver-Baltimore game  Peyton Manning led his team on an 80-yard drive and threw a TD pass to break a 28-28 tie.

Yet that game goes down as a game 'he lost' 

Does anybody think thet Terry Bradshaw (4 Super Bowls) was better than Dan Marino (none)?

I would move Flacco down and I think Kaepernick is a better QB, but Flacco did win the biggest game in the head to head matchup between the two.  I don't get if the list is best QBs or best QBs on best teams.  Luck is better than Wilson and I would take Luck over Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, but those guys are on better teams.

I'm also surprised people are so shocked by Peyton's numbers.  This is Peyton Manning.  He has been making it look easy for the last 13 years.  I didn't think there would be any question that he would be back to his normal self.  I do understand how the injury had so many questions around it, but still...it's Peyton!

Lets go back 12 months..

In my mind..Manning's injury is the most serious that I have ever seen a QB return from....

Many suggested that he simply retire/.....and many said Indy wouild be foolish to keep him.

I'll throw this out. I'm continually frurstrated when well-meaning folks say that a QB 'won the Super Bowl' 

In the 4th quarter of the Denver-Baltimore game  Peyton Manning led his team on an 80-yard drive and threw a TD pass to break a 28-28 tie.

Does anybody think thet Terry Bradshaw (4 Super Bowls) was better than Dan Marino (none)?

Yeah, people just say whatever is convenient.  Peyton chokes in the playoffs, but the defense allowed like 35 points.  Or his coach calls a timeout and lets the opponent get better field position.  It's a team game.  QBs get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses.

Yeah, people just say whatever is convenient.  Peyton chokes in the playoffs, but the defense allowed like 35 points.  Or his coach calls a timeout and lets the opponent get better field position.  It's a team game.  QBs get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses.

True. Actually, I think that is the elephant in the room too.  QB's and coaches know it and it comes with the territory.

Lets go back 12 months..

While I agree that QBs tend to get too much credit for wins and losses, they do control 33 percent of the game which is more than any other player.

But your point on the playoff game is a bit hypocritical. First, you say it is not Manning's fault that they lost because he led the game winning drive when the score was 28-28 but 14 points were given to him by his special teams and he gave the Ravens 7 of their 28 on a pick six early in the game.

I said this before but when you pay a QB $19 mil and he has a MVP caliber year and then he has three TOs that lead to 17 points including the pick to end the game in OT than the loss is on him. It was one of his worse games of the season. I think he would even admit that.

And I would take Bradshaw over Marino every day of the week and twice on Super Bowl Sunday. There is big difference between being a great passer and a great QB that performs in the clutch when the lights are the brightest.

If great quarterbacking consists of handing the ball off to the #2 rusher in the NFL a lot and letting a great defense keep the score manageable.  Then yes Russel Wilson is a great QB.  

He did more than that but I wouldn't consider him or any of the other rookies for that matter great. Waaaaaay too early for talk like that.

While I agree that QBs tend to get too much credit for wins and losses, they do control 33 percent of the game which is more than any other player.

But your point on the playoff game is a bit hypocritical. First, you say it is not Manning's fault that they lost because he led the game winning drive when the score was 28-28 but 14 points were given to him by his special teams and he gave the Ravens 7 of their 28 on a pick six early in the game.

I said this before but when you pay a QB $19 mil and he has a MVP caliber year and then he has three TOs that lead to 17 points including the pick to end the game in OT than the loss is on him. It was one of his worse games of the season. I think he would even admit that.

And I would take Bradshaw over Marino every day of the week and twice on Super Bowl Sunday. There is big difference between being a great passer and a great QB that performs in the clutch when the lights are the brightest.

But that Hail Mary from Average Joe to tie up the game that Moore missed... ya, thats all on Manning. Kinda like when Welker, Hernandez and Gronk drop catchable balls in the SB.. ya, thats on Brady. Brady lost the SB both times to the Giants. See how asinine that sounds.

But that Hail Mary from Average Joe to tie up the game that Moore missed... ya, thats all on Manning. Kinda like when Welker, Hernandez and Gronk drop catchable balls in the SB.. ya, thats on Brady. Brady lost the SB both times to the Giants. See how asinine that sounds.

Yes that is asinine to compare dropped balls to turnovers. Manning would tell you the same thing. If you want to win, you can't have three turnovers in a playoff game that give the opponent 17 points. He was only in the game at the end because his special teams gave him 14 points.

He did more than that but I wouldn't consider him or any of the other rookies for that matter great. Waaaaaay too early for talk like that.

Sure he did more then that.  But he got a ton of credit because he ended up playing for a loaded team that was missing a QB and he filled in and the team did well.

For the most part he was a game manager, he didn't take the team on his shoulders and do just about everything to keep them in or win a game.  

Andrew Luck did that in just about every game he won.  

Well his education, work, and connections do give him substantially more credibility than any poster here, until they show/prove otherwise.  And maybe his list is crappy, but debate on those terms, not only because BR published it.

I trust some articles on BR ( depending on writer) much more than a good many posters here. Yes, I said it.

(not a majority, but more than a couple...  I like those that research and show why they feel the way they do, as I try to do)

Everything on BR isn't awful, but the majority of their pieces strain credulity. And even pieces that might have some merit, or are written by someone with credentials, are often posted in this click-driven slideshow format. Unless it comes highly recommended, I don't read anything on BR that's in that format, simply out of protest.

That said, some of the best analysis, especially play breakdowns and scheme analysis, has been on BR. And not all of it from credentialed writers, some from lowly fans like us.

If I graduated from Harvard with a degree in astronomy, would you believe me if I told you the moon was made of cheese, based simply on my credentials?

Point being; We have some very smart football mavens here. Many I would not be bothered to argue with lest I look like a fool. A person shouldn't be judged by their paper credentials. They should be judged by the quality of their actions.

TL;DR To heck with the Bleacher Report and the wanna-be's that spew within it's realm. 

Yes that is asinine to compare dropped balls to turnovers. Manning would tell you the same thing. If you want to win, you can't have three turnovers in a playoff game that give the opponent 17 points. He was only in the game at the end because his special teams gave him 14 points.

cool, you wanna talk turn overs? how about the turnovers due to ball bobbling, incorrect routes, and simple pee poor playing. thats on QB's as well? see, your more than happy to dish out what suits you how you want it. you dont blame Brady for those losses, yet put the blame on Manning for the loss to the Ravens.. Yes AM.. its always Peytons fault. in that respect, I guess its all bradys fault as well. he should have scored in the first half of the 9'ers game.. i however wont fail to mention the fact the Pats defense allowed the 9'ers to score. but, but... Brady almost led a comeback.. almost.

cool, you wanna talk turn overs? how about the turnovers due to ball bobbling, incorrect routes, and simple pee poor playing. thats on QB's as well? see, your more than happy to dish out what suits you how you want it. you dont blame Brady for those losses, yet put the blame on Manning for the loss to the Ravens.. Yes AM.. its always Peytons fault. in that respect, I guess its all bradys fault as well. he should have scored in the first half of the 9'ers game.. i however wont fail to mention the fact the Pats defense allowed the 9'ers to score. but, but... Brady almost led a comeback.. almost.

The pick six and the throw across his body were the receivers' fault? I must have watched a different game. It is not all Peyton's fault but like I said when you are getting paid $19mil and having an MVP caliber year and have three TO's that lead to 17 points and your team loses by three points than the lion's share of the blame is on you. He is the best player on the field and he didn't play close to it.

Same goes for Brady is this year's AFCCG. 13 points is not good enough. Shut out in the second half is an embarrassment than I am sure bothers Brady more than me. He is the best player of his generation and he didn't get it done. Period.

Now, why can't you admit that about Peyton?

Everything on BR isn't awful, but the majority of their pieces strain credulity. And even pieces that might have some merit, or are written by someone with credentials, are often posted in this click-driven slideshow format. Unless it comes highly recommended, I don't read anything on BR that's in that format, simply out of protest.

That said, some of the best analysis, especially play breakdowns and scheme analysis, has been on BR. And not all of it from credentialed writers, some from lowly fans like us.

Agreed, especially the bolded.  But I can understand the majority of lowly fan like us that really don't have the contacts, extensive knowledge, or performed exhaustive research on a subject matter that put up articles for BR do beg to be called out here by the folks.  And it does bring down the brand. But I don't like every writer swept under that rug just because a poster doesn't agree with the merits of the article. Even e-stinko companies usually have some stars working for them, even under a tarnished brand.  Some credentialed and others just talented up and comers from the company basement mail room { lowly fans like us, ;)  }.

If I graduated from Harvard with a degree in astronomy, would you believe me if I told you the moon was made of cheese, based simply on my credentials?

So is that what he did?  Hmmm. So, what am I to make of someone's post that takes hyperbole and creates the greatest strawman ever constructed? Store it with all of the other Bleacher Report spew, I guess.

******************************************************************************************************************************

A person shouldn't be judged by their paper credentials. They should be judged by the quality of their actions.

And debated on them, not for what it was written in.  But in the end, it could well be the credentials that  separate the wheat from the chaff.

Oh, and I never said that we didn't have a lot of amrt folks here.  But I see them challenge with facts, and insights. not by ridicule.

So is that what he did?  Hmmm. So, what am I to make of someone's post that takes hyperbole and creates the greatest strawman ever constructed? Store it with all of the other Bleacher Report spew, I guess.

It was just an example meant to show that some of the most educated people I've ever met are among the the stupidest people I've ever met. They feel their qualifications via their education makes their point for them, when, in reality, this isn't true. 

And debated on them, not for what it was written in.  But in the end, it could well be the credentials that  separate the wheat from the chaff.

Oh, and I never said that we didn't have a lot of smart folks here.  But I see them challenge with facts, and insights. not by ridicule.

Let's not forget what we're discussing. An *arbitrary list of "Top Ten QB's". 

Again.... credentials DO NOT make the argument here. Jason Whitlock has tons of sterling credentials within the media realm. His words are so horridly constructed, always from a biased perspective, there aren't enough credentials in the known world to lend credence to his words. 

It was just an example meant to show that some of the most educated people I've ever met are among the the stupidest people I've ever met. They feel their qualifications via their education makes their point for them, when, in reality, this isn't true. 

Again.... credentials DO NOT make the argument here. Jason Whitlock has tons of sterling credentials within the media realm. His words are so horridly constructed, always from a biased perspective, there aren't enough credentials in the known world to lend credence to his words. 

And yet Bob Costas thought to quote him of all people when that KC player killed his girlfriend. Wonders never cease. He has to be one of the worst "journalists" ever.

Which makes defeating a credentialed person in a meaningful debate so much better!  Or dispelling their position with logic and reason. That makes good reading, and many smart folks here do that.  Other times there is great back and forth and you can see the angles from both sides.  IMHO, that's riveting reading right there. Ridicule of the delivery medium, or one line put downs without any backing  of substance just doesn't cut it with me though.  The good folks here really are at a minimum a cut above that, I believe.  And much better, i hope.

Which makes defeating a credentialed person in a meaningful debate so much better!  Or dispelling their position with logic and reason. That makes good reading, and many smart folks here do that.  Other times there is great back and forth and you can see the angles from both sides.  IMHO, that's riveting reading right there. Ridicule of the delivery medium, or one line put downs without any backing  of substance just doesn't cut it with me though.  The good folks here really are at a minimum a cut above that, I believe.  And much better, i hope.

I'll give this point to you. Good post. 

The pick six and the throw across his body were the receivers' fault? I must have watched a different game. It is not all Peyton's fault but like I said when you are getting paid $19mil and having an MVP caliber year and have three TO's that lead to 17 points and your team loses by three points than the lion's share of the blame is on you. He is the best player on the field and he didn't play close to it.

Same goes for Brady is this year's AFCCG. 13 points is not good enough. Shut out in the second half is an embarrassment than I am sure bothers Brady more than me. He is the best player of his generation and he didn't get it done. Period.

Now, why can't you admit that about Peyton?

PEYTON is the best player of his generation.. sure. I can admit that.

Decent Article, I would have had Luck a little higher on the list.

I would not have had Luck on that list at all. He had the next worst QB rating of any QB in the NFL and please, don't bother making a ton of excuses for that and all of his turnovers..... :dancing:

I would not have had Luck on that list at all. He had the next worst QB rating of any QB in the NFL and please, don't bother making a ton of excuses for that and all of his turnovers..... :dancing:

Oh, you were saying about turnovers?

peyton-picked-OT.gif

You're picking on Luck at times gets old. Peyton has a knack at ending big games himself in Favre-esque manners but he is apparently flawless to many. Luck has not even gotten his feet wet enough in this league and you already have said you think he has bust potential in other threads.

It is really strange to have to stick up for Andrew Luck a lot after last years memorable season on A COLTS FORUM. Sigh.

If great quarterbacking consists of handing the ball off to the #2 rusher in the NFL a lot and letting a great defense keep the score manageable.  Then yes Russel Wilson is a great QB.  

Russel Wilson is a great QB and a great game manager....... :dancing: