Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cruz supposedly spotted at Eagle Creek Airport per JMV

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cruz makes sense from Irsay's twitter posts, but not as an actual member of the Colts. I would rather keep the 1st rd. pick and see what we can get. Cruz IMO is an above average receiver, but that's about it. He's average sized with average speed, I don't see the appeal, especially for our 1st rder..

*cough* Marvin Harrison *cough*

Marvin's ability to catch the ball is uncanny though. There is a reason Marvin was taken in the 1st round of the draft and Cruz was undrafted. Not that Cruz is a bad player, but he doesnt have the talent Marvin did in his prime.

Cruz is a game changer and would immediately impact our offense. He can play in the slot or outside. That said, I don’t know if any of these rumors have any validity. I do know he will cost a lot of money whether it is coming from the Colts, Giants, or any other team’s checkbook.

I can understand why a fan would not want the Colts to spend the money, but I can also understand why the Colts should. I believe Cruz would be a huge asset to the Colts offense. Giant’s fans do not want to lose him, because they know how talented he is.

We dont need another slot WR. We have Hilton! This would be a mistake in my opinion giving up a 1st rounder when that could be used on a pass rusher to replace Mathis or a big WR like Keenan Allen round 1.

Marvin's ability to catch the ball is uncanny though. There is a reason Marvin was taken in the 1st round of the draft and Cruz was undrafted. Not that Cruz is a bad player, but he doesnt have the talent Marvin did in his prime.

Draft position means nothing. See Arians Foster as opposed to Cadillac Williams for example.

He's never been a #1 WR though. And his size limits him to be one at only 5-11 200 pounds or so.

Um #2 WR *cough* and WRs move around all the time. Why would you want the smallest guy taking the biggest hits at slot?

I get it, but what Marvin lacked in size he made up with insane ability.

Cruz doesn't.

Route running.. Cruz's route running is good, not Marvin good, and I'm not sure there is ANYONE in the league with Marvin's route running ability, but you don't have a 1500 yard season without decent ability. Besides, as long as Reggie is here he will hold that #1 until he's gone.

Regardless all of this is speculation anyways...

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• It's not accurate in several ways. First, you're conflating unspent cap/rollover with actual spending, and while they're related, they are not the same thing, nor do they mean what you're suggesting they mean. A team can roll over the most unspent cap space (like the Colts in 2019) while still being a significant spender -- they had the 6th highest cap number, the 19th highest cash number, and the 2nd highest prior year rollover. So, no, what you posted doesn't support the idea that the Colts were near the lowest spending team in that four year period.   It was also an arbitrary four year period to pick. If you were talking about the most recent four year period for the salary floor, it would be 2017-2020.   There's nothing mysterious about the salary floor requirement, but it's obviously misunderstood by many. Most of the noise from talking heads was inaccurate/incomplete. I'm not sure of your understanding of it, but it seems like you're talking about several different things at once.   I wasn't unwilling to look it up. I was unable to find the relevant historical figures, and didn't substitute irrelevant numbers in their place.   So here are the Colts relevant numbers and rankings for 2017-2020, from Spotrac Premium. This also coincides with Ballard's tenure, and includes a coaching change and roster tear down. 2017: cap $156.2m (27th), cash $155.8m (25th), prior year rollover $8.1m (14th) 2018:  cap $144.2m (32nd), cash $147.2m (31st), prior year rollover $18.3m (7th) 2019: cap $196.1m (6th), cash $192.8m (19th), prior year rollover $49.8m (2nd) 2020: cap $231.3m (1st), cash $221.6m (17th), prior year rollover $41.7m (1st) 2021: prior year rollover $8.5m (12th) -- cap and cash figures TBD   Whether they were "near" the most unspent isn't really relevant. They weren't "near" the least spent cash, which is what matters for the 89% rule.   Cowboys, for comparison: 2017: cap $159.8 (21st), cash $148.6m (30th), prior year rollover $6.5m (17th) 2018: cap $174.0m (22nd), cash $150.5m (30th), prior year rollover $9.1m (15th) 2019: cap $182.4m (23rd), cash $193.6m (17th), prior year rollover $11.0m (8th) 2020: cap $191.3m (29th), cash $249.8m (3rd), prior year rollover $18.3m (9th) 2021: prior year rollover $26.4m (2nd) -- cap and cash figures TBD   No one ever suggests the Cowboys have cash flow problems. Their spending tracks pretty closely to the Colts over that four year period. Before 2020, the Colts had spent $3.1m more in cash than the Cowboys.   As for the Colts letting Luck keep his bonus, or paying JB, it just doesn't make sense. First, in 2017 and 2018, the Colts spent $303m cash, which is 88% of the cap for those two years, so the idea that they weren't on track to spend cash to 89% of the four year threshold doesn't hold up. They weren't 'wayyyyyy under,' and they weren't well below the pace.   Second, the penalty for not spending 89% of cash over the four year period would be a cash payment to NFLPA to cure the shortage, which would be distributed to the players that were on the roster over that period. Not punitive, certainly not to the degree that you'd pay a retired player and overpay a backup just to avoid that penalty. By the start of 2020, the Colts were at 92% of the threshold, and did not need to keep JB to stay on track for 89%.    The reason the Colts didn't recoup Luck's bonus -- apparently -- is that they wanted to retain his rights, and they were being nice (unlike the Lions with Calvin Johnson). They overpaid JB because they overshot. Why pay and overpay players, rather than giving a moderate contract to a different veteran for a similar amount of money? They could have "overpaid" position players, rather than QBs who wouldn't play, and the cash flow situation would have been the same. In fact, recouping Luck's bonus would have improved their cash flow situation, as would not paying JB $16m in 2020 to ride the bench.    This idea is a stretch, and doesn't make sense. They made decisions that they thought worked for the franchise and the team; coming back two years later and claiming that they made those decisions to meet the spending floor is revisionist. Especially when there's no real penalty for not meeting the spending floor.    What makes much more sense is that the Colts had a regime change, went super young on the roster due to a focus on the draft, they committed to a 'pay as you go' contract structure for almost every veteran signing, and they stuck to their guns on contract value for free agents. The merits of their strategies and decisions is debatable. But the idea that their strategies were based on cash flow issues is a stretch.    And again, I'm not claiming to have proof that they don't have cash flow limitations. I'm saying that their cap strategy shouldn't be presented as evidence of cash flow limitations.
    • There are 3 main categories to judge a WR on.  They are receptions, receiving yards and receiving TDs.  Then there are things which aren't really measurable like blocking, impact on the game, etc... and other things like catch rate, yards per reception (and yards per attempt), etc.    In the main 3 categories, TY is not elite (not really close) in 2 of the 3 - those being TDs and receptions.  TY has been at or near the elite level of receiving yards in 4 or 5 of his 9 years (between 44-55%).  I think 1000 yards is very good (62.5 ypg) and over 1100 (really 1120) is elite with 70 ypg.  Four times TY has been >1100 and another time he was close with 1083.  Marv had over 1100 yards 9 of his 13 seasons (>69%) and did it 9 years in a row.   TY has had a catch rate >60% in 4 of his 9 seasons (44%)... Marv did it 10 of his 13 season (>76%).     The only areas where TY beats Marvin statistically are yards per receptions (15.4 to 13.2) and yards per target (9 to 8.2 - this is smaller because TY catches less balls thrown his way than Marv).     TY is definitely a team leader and a good guy.  He is a speedster and earlier in his career had some terrific deep catches.  He's definitely had some memorable moments.     That said, in Marv's first 9 years he had 11,185 yards (almost 2k more than TY).  In his first 9 years, Marv had 845 receptions (237 more than TY over the same span).  In his first 9 years, Marv had 98 TDs (48 more than TYs 50 in the same span).     Going by @EastStreet's YPG metric of >70 yards per game being elite... TY has done that 4 times in his 9 year career (44.4%).  Marv did that 8 years in a row between 1999-2006.     Really, TY had one very good year (91 receptions for 1448 yards and 6 TDs), which is significantly better than all his other years and borderline elite.  He had 3 good years (82/1083/7, 82/1145/5, 76/1270/6), an average (or slightly above average) year (69/1124/5), and 4 mediocre or well below (for a #1 WR) average years... this means if you're judging him as a #1 WR, he's been better than average about half the time.  Marv had 5 years which are clearly better than TYs best year, and at least one or two more that you could argue were on par with TYs best year.     I don't care about TY wearing a clown mask to a division game, or his fun TD dance, etc. in this argument.  I care about numbers and facts... and the fact is -- TY is not an elite WR in the NFL.  By elite, I'm talking HOF caliber guy.  For about 50% of TY's career he may be in the Hall of Good-to-Very-Good, otherwise he's been pretty average.     Sure, some moments of TY remind me of Marv... but when any WR on the team makes a good catch or gets in the endzone you can argue that it also reminds me of Marv.   They're not on the same page, and it's not close.     I disagree.  You're looking over the course of both their careers.  TY's averages for his career are highly skewed to 4 very good years in terms of his yards.  His TD numbers and reception numbers have never been close to Marv.  Marv's last two years were by far his worst and that was directly related to a blown out knee -- Marv stayed very healthy the rest of his career.  If we put Marv's best year vs TY's best year, it's not close... if we put Marv's best two years vs. TY's best two years, it's not even close... so on and so forth over 9 years.     Yes, obviously Marv had the fortune of playing with Peyton... but I think there's a strong argument that Luck had a stronger arm than Peyton and that TY is more of a one-trick pony than Marv (i.e., most of TY's damage throughout his career has been long-ball damage which is reflected in him having higher yards per catch than Marv).   Both guys had other HOF caliber WRs in the league when they played.  Overlap with Reggie, Larry Fitz, Andre Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith and maybe a few more.  Marv had TO, Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Torry Holt and maybe a few more borderline guys.  TY has had Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, AB, Megatron and a few others.   I have never heard anyone say TY is the best WR in the NFL at any point during his career.  No announcer, no Colts' fans I know, and most importantly no players.  Multiple CBs in the NFL (including Champ Bailey, Peanut Tillman, Shawn Springs - three of the better DBs in Marv's era) said Marv was the best and the hardest guy to guard.   Not saying TY's numbers may not have been slightly better if he had Peyton.. but I don't think he ever would have been better than Marv.  If TY and Marv were on the same team, TY would be the #2 guy.  If Marv, Reggie and TY were all on the same team in their prime, TY would be the #3 guy.     If you took all the players in NFL history and you had to pick two teams, I have a hard time believing Marv wouldn't be picked to be on the first team (saying 5-6 WRs per team), and no way would he be left off the second team.  I don't think TY gets listed as an alternate for either team, in fact I don't think he'd make it on the 3rd team, 4th team or 5th team.
    • Wentz was trending on twitter I was like what now. It was just Philadelphia fans comparing Wentz to Ben Simmons man is that fanbase weird. 
    • Because that’s where he wants to live?  I don’t know I think that’s a question only Carson could answer.
    • You pay state taxes for the state you work in, not where you have your residence.  There are some exceptions, but that’s generally the rule.     I doubt that had anything to do with his decision.     Maybe he thought there was going to be a job opening in Houston…
  • Members

• Archer

Archer 727

• Indycrazy1287

Indycrazy1287 36

• Lucky Colts Fan

Lucky Colts Fan 5,687

• Superman

Superman 9,706

Moderators
    • cdgacoltsfan

cdgacoltsfan 768