Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we sign RJF, our D will be top 10 in points allowed and 3rd down D

chad72

Anyone else think our D will be top 10 if we sign Ricky Jean Francois?

Bethea and Landry for a safety tandem, 3 solid CBs in Davis, Toler and Butler, solid LB core led by Freeman and Mathis, and a DL with RJF, Redding and Moala gives us ample ammunition to stay in games.

Plus, if our coaching could get out of our D what they did last year, I believe we can do better with better talent.

Top 10 D in points allowed and 3rd down D, what do you say? :)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a pass rusher in the draft and maybe... I'm still not sold on Whalen.  I would also like an upgrade at corner Toler is to consistent for me. especially with the injuries.

I'm not sold on Whalen being our pass rusher either considering he's a 5'10" 185 lb. slot receiver.  :D j/k, I know you meant Walden.

BTW, Mathis is going to be our pass rusher and Walden is going to the strong side LBer.

I'm not sold on Whalen being our pass rusher either considering he's a 5'10" 185 lb. slot receiver.  :D j/k, I know you meant Walden.

BTW, Mathis is going to be our pass rusher and Walden is going to the strong side LBer.

Yeah I did mean Walden.  I get that and I understand he sets the edge more and drops back in coverage more but I'd still like a guy thats a little more effective at rushing the passer!!

You are in the very small minority, including those who actually know how to evaluate talent. Just saying.

I get that but his injuries worry me.  He didn't play full time last year and did very well.  Better than Powers.  However,  playing full time especially on a surgically repaired knee scares me.. I don't want to be in a position where we have Butler starting and Vaughn playing the Nickel.  Hence why i would be a huge fan if we drafted someone.

You are in the very small minority, including those who actually know how to evaluate talent. Just saying.

I dont see or hear any people raving about him on NFL.com, maybe I missed something on the NFL Network in regards to him but I doubt it

I dont consider Toler an upgrade at least yet, I think Toler and Powers are close to the same talent wise 

Maybe they are the same talent-wise. But Toler's skillset is more suited to our system, Powers was suited to the system of the regime before.

I wonder if I say I write it many times, will people start to pay attention....

SCHEME FIT

SCHEME FIT

SCHEME FIT

I get that but his injuries worry me.  He didn't play full time last year and did very well.  Better than Powers.  However,  playing full time especially on a surgically repaired knee scares me.. I don't want to be in a position where we have Butler starting and Vaughn playing the Nickel.  Hence why i would be a huge fan if we drafted someone.

I get that.

I dont see or hear any people raving about him on NFL.com, maybe I missed something on the NFL Network in regards to him but I doubt it

Gavin, I have just come to realize that you are going to hate any move we make simply because you think your evaluations are for some reason more credible that the experts. So I will just leave you alone to wallow in you hate.

Like I've said before, I like RJF, but I don't see why everyone thinks he's the answer to all our problems.

He is not the answer no more than Walden is there pieces in a puzzle that Ryan Grigson is putting together , IMO people want a quick fix & are ready to talk smack based on moves made by our GM . Who is a very good judge of talent  & what it will take to be a winner long term based on his first year I'm convinced he has the knowledge & skill to build a Championship team  .

I'm a Bricklayer not a player personnel dude & my opinion is simple with all the talk about FA it is clear some here have forgotten 1 simple thing . No one here has the skill to build & assemble the pieces that it'll take to be a elite team .

So I personally think people should relax & not take there selves to serious . Although I must admit reading posts by self proclaimed genius's on a message board ,talking smack about the moves a GM makes as he makes them is hysterical ,

How these players fit in & play here as Colts remains to be seen .

I disagree in regards to top 10, top half in the league maybe.

Hard to know until we get out and play but I think it's safe to say we will be better than last year.

I think Anton has it right.   Top half of the league -- maybe.   But not top-10.

Our new guys need to prove they can be difference makers.    And we still need some quality defenders from this draft.

By the way,  the strength of this upcoming draft?    Defense.

People keep saying we don't need to draft CB number one and maybe we don't.  But, if there is a guy like Rhodes or Trufant there who can anchor that side for years to come.  I think you have to draft him and make Toler the nickel and Butler the dime.

I love Rhodes. Not so big on Trufant.

Maybe they are the same talent-wise. But Toler's skillset is more suited to our system, Powers was suited to the system of the regime before.

I wonder if I say I write it many times, will people start to pay attention....

SCHEME FIT

SCHEME FIT

SCHEME FIT

Perhaps, Im just not sold on Toler coming in being our #2. Im open to it but Xavier Rhodes would be a much better option to me if we have that chance

Like I've said before, I like RJF, but I don't see why everyone thinks he's the answer to all our problems.

I agree 100% - what has he done?  He didnt start ever for San Fran, played 2 snaps in Superbowl, was let go after making only $616,000. If he was serviceable the 9ers would have offered him a little skin to stay. We have 3 other players just like him. He is not a difference maker. Last time he was noticed in a game, was the 2007 LSU championship game. 

Bethea and Landry for a safety tandem, 3 solid CBs in Davis, Toler and Butler, solid LB core led by Freeman and Mathis, and a DL with RJF, Redding and Moala gives us ample ammunition to stay in games.

Plus, if our coaching could get out of our D what they did last year, I believe we can do better with better talent.

My fear is that with Mathis as being the only tried and true pass rusher on the field.  We could seeing opposing QB's standing in the pocket all day trying to figure out which QB they want to rack up their stats with.  

while the stats wont say so, we did have a good defense last year. they kept us in games and made stops when we needed it. so all the extra talent we have now yea we can be a top 10 defense.

Good defense I dont know about that. We were pretty bad against the run. Was our D better than our Jim Caldwell era D, sure was.  But i think we are a few signings off from a Descent D.  One of our biggest problems were players playing out of position.  Freeney playing OLB aka terrible gap integrity against the run, Mookie Johnson  Playing NT hes a DT in a 4-3 scheme at best imo, amoung a few other things.  I do like some of the signings thus far.  I just dont think RJF would be a good fit, if hes the player im thinking of hes a pass rusher and in this scheme would be a DE playing OLB.  I need to review his stats and a few videos.

Perhaps, Im just not sold on Toler coming in being our #2. Im open to it but Xavier Rhodes would be a much better option to me if we have that chance

Agreed!  I would love a defensive backfield that had Davis and Rhodes starting, Toler in the NIckel and Butler in the dime.  I'm also a fan of Trufant and if we don't draft a cb with the first pick i hope Jonathan Banks continues his slide.  He is faster than his 40 shows.

I think RJF would be a nice addition for depth/rotation, but I don't think he's the piece that will put us over the top.  I already think we'll have a very good defense but I am still a bit concerned about the pass rush.  I'm sure on passing downs we'll see both Hughes and Mathis on the field and Redding, Nevis and Moala can get a good interior pass rush, but if we sustain injuries to the DL like we did last year, or either Mathis or Hughes gets hurt then we're in serious trouble.  I think/hope that a pass rushing OLB will be drafted in either the 1st-4th rounds and the earlier the better.  My hope for our first 3 picks are some combination of OG, CB, OLB or a DE/DT who can provide an interior pass rush, with order simply dependent on who is available at the time. 

I dont consider Toler an upgrade at least yet, I think Toler and Powers are close to the same talent wise 

So if you have one guy who plays 10 games a year and one who plays 16, both with equal talent, who would you rather have?

By default, Toler is an upgrade over a guy on IR.

I agree 100% - what has he done?  He didnt start ever for San Fran, played 2 snaps in Superbowl, was let go after making only $616,000. If he was serviceable the 9ers would have offered him a little skin to stay. We have 3 other players just like him. He is not a difference maker. Last time he was noticed in a game, was the 2007 LSU championship game. 

He actually started 3 games last yr. San Fran is loaded with defensive talent and DE's and NT's(both positions he played) do not rack up stats. I am so sick of the negative nellie's posting nothing but negative remarks constantly. Nobody has claimed that RJF was the answer to all our problems. He's a nice piece to the puzzle and an upgrade to what we have now. 

I think if you go by the trend from the last Q of the season where the D gave up one TD per game, then add the new components... Yeah, I'm not sure if we're top 10, but it sure looks like things are looking up.

So if you have one guy who plays 10 games a year and one who plays 16, both with equal talent, who would you rather have?

By default, Toler is an upgrade over a guy on IR.

Toler has yet to play a full 16 games in any of his years in the league, highest he played in was 14 in 2011. Oh Im not saying he is not an upgrade over Powers, Im saying watching him play I think he is a nickel corner (which is what Powers is at best in my opinion). 

He hurt the knee in 2011....knees do heal

He actually started 3 games last yr. San Fran is loaded with defensive talent and DE's and NT's(both positions he played) do not rack up stats. I am so sick of the negative nellie's posting nothing but negative remarks constantly. Nobody has claimed that RJF was the answer to all our problems. He's a nice piece to the puzzle and an upgrade to what we have now. 

And in those 3 games, what we learned was how much Justin Smith really means to that defense. As soon as he got injured, their D played horrible football. It wasn't because RJF was horrible, it's just that the 49ers are used to having an All-Pro playing at a Hall of Fame caliber manning the spot, and they had to replace him with an average player. 

For where we are, average is still enough to get in the rotation and contribute. 

And in those 3 games, what we learned was how much Justin Smith really means to that defense. As soon as he got injured, their D played horrible football. It wasn't because RJF was horrible, it's just that the 49ers are used to having an All-Pro playing at a Hall of Fame caliber manning the spot, and they had to replace him with an average player. 

For where we are, average is still enough to get in the rotation and contribute. 

I think that's all what people are saying. Is RJF a future star? I highly doubt it, but can he come in and bring a stronger presence to our D-line and play anywhere on the line? Absolutely, those are the type of guy's I want as does Grigson and Pagano. But there are people acting like this would just be another waste of money because he don't have the stats of J.J. Watt. some people really need to understand that building a TEAM isn't buying a few superstars and then having to fill out the rest of the roster with nobodies.

RJF's an average talent. He can help us, but he's not the kind of piece that puts anyone over the top into being top 10.

No, given all the pieces we have signed, I think RJF will add more to the talent level that has already been assembled and will fit nicely. The talent we have will vault us to the top 10 in those categories I mentioned, IMO, once RJF is part of our squad.