Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we sign RJF, our D will be top 10 in points allowed and 3rd down D

chad72

Potentially, but from what I've heard, only 4 mil is guaranteed. Who knows, I'm just trying to see logic in it. That's why I'm not a GM, or Owner I suppose. :sigh:

Its a contract where the Colts' side has outs should things not work out, that is how I see it. So, I am with you there :). But I do believe their expectation is Walden playing starter minutes, not backup minutes for that money, that is what I was getting it. If he is playing starter minutes, he was not an insurance plan to begin with, that is what I am getting at.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot I am supposed to blindly be a homer and drool at every little player Grigs signs because he is the GM and never makes a bad decision...Thank you for showing me the error of my own free will thinking ways of judging what I see with my own eyes

ok. no ones asking you to fall in love with every player we bring in, but its like every single player that gets brought up in this forum you always have something negative to say or some reason why we should stay away from player X. ive never even talked to you before and i kno this becuase i check this forum everyday and constantly see u dumping on everyones optimistic opinions. but you sure do love that okafor guy right? please.

I think by far Landry is the best signing so far and will have the biggest impact on our defense.  Zibi was a big disappointment last year getting beat deep and not getting over the top of coverage like a safety should.  Zibi also chose some bad angles trying to presue rbs on off tackle plays, something I thought he would have done better.   Landry is fast strong and likes to hit, combine Landry with Bethea we have two REALLY good safeties who are great tacklers and support the run def better then most in the league.

As for top 10 def.. I think that will depend a lot on how our new Off cord runs the offense.  If we run the ball more like some experts are suggesting that will limit offense possessions for the other team and keep scores down.. limit defense time on field and make our defense ranking higher.

Excited for the season and love the signings so far.. esp Landry.

He actually started 3 games last yr. San Fran is loaded with defensive talent and DE's and NT's(both positions he played) do not rack up stats. I am so sick of the negative nellie's posting nothing but negative remarks constantly. Nobody has claimed that RJF was the answer to all our problems. He's a nice piece to the puzzle and an upgrade to what we have now. 

And I'm getting sick of all the positive posts coming from Mr. Positive Petey!

Jk :kitty:

Its a contract where the Colts' side has outs should things not work out, that is how I see it. So, I am with you there :). But I do believe their expectation is Walden playing starter minutes, not backup minutes for that money, that is what I was getting it. If he is playing starter minutes, he was not an insurance plan to begin with, that is what I am getting at.

I completely understand, and honestly, I don't disagree. It just concerns me that A. we spent so much for someone who has proven so very little, and B. we aren't giving Hughes a chance, even though in my opinion, he played better than Mathis. Just trying to see things through my perverted rose colored glasses lol.

Yes, I believe our defense will be a top 10 defense. Guys who fit better into our scheme and are upgrades at their respective positions.

And we really just lost Freeney and Powers who were bad fits in our scheme and didn't produce a whole lot, statistically speaking.

I am liking the defensive moves, even if I don't agree with all of them. I trust Grigson and his decision making process because I didn't agree with everything last year, and we had a 9 game swing of wins. 

I'm not sure Colts fans here realize how low our defense was ranked last year.    We were in the bottom of most categories.

So, despite all the good signings that we made,  I do not see this is a top-10 defense,  at least not yet.  

Not in points allow, or especially in areas likes sacks and turnovers forced....   those are critical and we were among the worst teams in the NFL last year.

So,  we can revisit this after the draft, but I'm not expecting a huge bump from that either.

I'm hopeful we can be in the top half.   I'll be very happy if we're top 12-16.  

From there,  next year's FA and Draft will hopefully bump us up another level.    But that's a year away.

The top 5 defenses in 2012-2013 were: 1.Forty Niners, 2.Ravens, 3.Oilers, 4 .Bills, 5. Bengals.

The Forty Niners had 38 sacks and the Ravens had 37.

For the Forty Niners the leaders were: Smith-19.5, Brooks-6.5, Smith-3 and several with 2.5 to 1.

For the Ravens it was: Kruger-9, Ngata-5, Ellerbe-4.5, Jones-4.5 and several others with 2 or 1.

Will a team be top ten defense with at least 2 super star pass rushers or several people comming from many different positions?

Maybe Pagano is right in that we stop the run first and then blitz from all over the place with his scheme. I for one agree with the poster in that since we have Francois and Walden we will have a top ten defense in 2013-2014.

The top 5 defenses in 2012-2013 were: 1.Forty Niners, 2.Ravens, 3.Oilers, 4 .Bills, 5. Bengals.

For the Forty Niners the leaders were: Smith-19.5, Brooks-6.5, Smith-3 and several with 2.5 to 1.

For the Ravens it was: Kruger-9, Ngata-5, Ellerbe-4.5, Jones-4.5 and several others with 2 or 1.

Will a team be top ten defense with at least 2 super star pass rushers or several people comming from many different positions?

Maybe Pagano is right in that we stop the run first and then blitz from all over the place with his scheme. I for one agree with the poster in that since we have Francois and Walden we will have a top ten defense in 2013-2014.

That's what I kept saying when people kept talking about a pure pass rusher. I think that's more 4-3 talk and less of what pagano likes to do. Have a stout run d and different looking packages that when can blitz from all over the place. Why line up in a 4-3 every down knowing who's doing what and where they're coming from. I saw a little of that last year. I expect a ton more this year!

The top 5 defenses in 2012-2013 were: 1.Forty Niners, 2.Ravens, 3.Oilers, 4 .Bills, 5. Bengals.

Woah! Flashback! They've brought back the Oilers? Or were the old Oilers just so good that they ranked 3rd 15 years after they changed their name?

....unfortunately, those eyes told you Mike McGlynn should be moved to tackle.

fortunately my eyes also told me from the start what a mistake bringing Mcglynn here was and Satele oh and Justice....yet most did not believe me till it was to late

fortunately my eyes also told me from the start what a mistake bringing Mcglynn here was and Satele oh and Justice....yet most did not believe me till it was to late

HMMMM.....most huh?  :)  You like your CBs, let us stick to the OL  :) I think a lot of us were skeptical on Satele since he had been on two different teams and had just come off a 'dust up' with police....we knew McGlynn was a perennial back-up, and Justice was under-achieving in Philly....

I do admit I expected more out of Satele.....for that I was WRONG!!!

1. Dear God...

2. You are practicing revionist history

3. Most still don't believe you

This O Line was actually "serviceable" when every one was healthy ....   problem was most everyone was NOT healthy for most of the season.   And Justice actually played pretty well most of the season when he played.

But NO OL can look good when the OC is constantly mixing and matching just to field a starting unit.  It was simply a cluster fluff for most of the season.

But considering Indy's cap situation what did you really expect this team to do?   They signed the type player they could afford.   Simple as that.   The OL is getting addressed this season.     And I am sure Indy is not done.    In fact I would love to see Cooper or Jones picked with 24.   Or and OLB...       Even more so if DHB signs which is what many locally are "predicting" 

As far as the D it is right now very much improved.    Esp the front 7, they are deeper and STOUTER.   I expect teams to have a really hard time running on Indy.     And that is where it all starts.

JMV, Patty Mac, and D Allen were discussing Chapman on the show last Friday ( I think) and Allen said "aint nobody moving him"   and  "dude is REPING 450 lbs on the bench"    Mac said he is a sparkplug.   Bigger and stronger than last season.   And he is healthy.   

Since its year 2 for the colts in there new defense and with the personnel we have gotten in free agency, I see us ranked somewhere between 20th and 13th total defense. Assuming we stay healthy enough. If its one thing I'm certain of, we should def be better against the run, especially after signing Franklin,Francois , and Landry. Getting McKinney and chapman back will def help us achieve a greater rank in run defense