Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some thoughts to wake-up to.....

NewColtsFan

Good morning....

My gut feeling (and I've got quite the gut!) tells me we will not hear a whole lot of compliments from many in the media.

Face it,  not only do most of us not know who most of the players are that we signed,  neither do the so-called media experts.

They are not GM's.   They are not scouts.   They are not talent evaluators.   

Some might give Grigson the benefit of the doubt based on his terrific first year.   But I don't expect anyone to lavish praise on him either.

I'm more expecting to hear we over-paid for Walden or Toler, or someone else, than I'm expecting to hear how brave Grigson is and that he has the courage to avoid the names in favor of no-name, plain wrap, who's he type of players.   

It's not sexy.   It gets no headlines.   The only time we'll get praise is if we have another good year.

Then, these same people will start saying....   "looks like Ryan Grigson knew what he was doing all along!"

As a one-time member of the media,  that's what I'm expecting.    Hope I'm wrong.   Hope we get some praise.    But I'll be a bit surprised if we do....

Just hoping we can pick up a quality LT--we have a star QB and he MUST get protection

LT is one of our smallest holes. We need a safety now waaaaayayyyyyyyyayayayayayayayayayayaayay more than a LT. AC was still basically a rookie last year missing half of 2011 and I am expecting him to flourish with more talent around him this year.

Just hoping we can pick up a quality LT--we have a star QB and he MUST get protection

He is already on the team his name is Anthony Castonzo...

Assuming you mean Guard...

think there are a few guards left on the FA market even though half the board should be on suicide watch since Levitre & Vasquez signed elsewhere...

Maybe Matt Slauson or Geoff Schwartz???

LT is one of our smallest holes. We need a safety now waaaaayayyyyyyyyayayayayayayayayayayaayay more than a LT. AC was still basically a rookie last year missing half of 2011 and I am expecting him to flourish with more talent around him this year.

Yeah if Grigs lands a safety & another guard this FA campaign should be be looked at as a success at least in my eyes,

at least all major areas of concern will have have been addressed to some extent, and the draft can be opened up to BPA...

Are we allowed to point out that a lot of Grigson's FA signings weren't very good..? McGlynn, Satele, Zbikowski, Mewelde Moore, Justin King, Vaughn, Gordy, Brown, Tevaseu, Sowell etc etc. His draft was brilliant, I won't deny that, but all of this "have some faith in Grigson!" stuff is a bit misplaced because... well, that list isn't full of studs. Sure, Freeman was a brilliant signing, Redding was good when fit, Justice was... okay, McKinney wasn't horrendous before he got hurt, but for the most part... 

Are we allowed to point out that a lot of Grigson's FA signings weren't very good..? McGlynn, Satele, Zbikowski, Mewelde Moore, Justin King, Vaughn, Gordy, Brown, Tevaseu, Sowell etc etc. His draft was brilliant, I won't deny that, but all of this "have some faith in Grigson!" stuff is a bit misplaced because... well, that list isn't full of studs. Sure, Freeman was a brilliant signing, Redding was good when fit, Justice was... okay, McKinney wasn't horrendous before he got hurt, but for the most part... 

Think for a min, grigson is a new GM he is very new to this thing hes gonna make a lot of mistakes, but out of those 5 mistakes each time he will make 1 improvement and 2 and so on. until he gets better and learns how to pick better talent ect.

hes gonna take a lot of chances and eventually get better and better, it takes time this is his 1st GM job, every new GM goes through this sort of thing.

You can say that, but dont forget to also say, that he only had 38 cents and a 10 dollar off coupon from the pro shop to sign them with last year too.

That's true - but Sidbury and Walden have roughly the same market value as them.

Well Ross Tucker of Serious XM Morning Kickoff says that we have a strategy of picking up upper middle tier players. And is thinking we came out very strong in day one and thought we did an awesome job. Unsure about the money spent, but an awesome job nonetheless. Says to wait and see the structure if our contracts before people freak out. Like Walden being 16 mil for 4 years. Maybe it's the min for the first 2 years and then like 14 mil on the back end.

Cliff avril is still available and thinks the colts will make a run on him.

Here's a good read from stampede blue on a recap of day one. http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/3/13/4097550/recapping-the-first-day-of-free-agency-for-the-colts

(I'm still beating this dead horse) If we don't sign Landry I really want Michael Huff. He is a safety (and a pretty good safety) that Oakland decided to make a CB (shocker). Wouldn't mind bringing in another WR since we lost (if you consider it a loss) Avery. I still would like another guard signing (Geoff Schwartz maybe?).

Hopefuly some better moves today and upcoming then having to settle for benchwarmers u can get in 7th round of a draft and injury risk players. Talk about penny pinching except for overpaying Walden, is he Huges II?

You have a warped outlook on our signings and not accurate either. I have said a dozen times that we would not have given Walden 4 mil. per unless somebody else was also bidding for him which would mean that we weren't the only team that wanted him. Toler, Cherilous, and Thomas were all very good signings and Sidbury has potential. You obviously do not know enough about these players to make an accurate assessment on their skills.

Het Balzer 40, been a fan since early 70's can have my own view too, instaed of company line agreeing with everything. Why don't u check their NFL background too, injury history and one being waived from several teams; hope they all worK out too 

Het Balzer 40, been a fan since early 70's can have my own view too, instaed of company line agreeing with everything. Why don't u check their NFL background too, injury history and one being waived from several teams; hope they all worK out too 

Not giving the company line, but I'm also sick of seeing all the complaining about our signings.  We didn't go out and blow all our money on 2 or 3 guys. That was the smart move to make. We upgraded our O-line, our secondary, and added good depth to our Lbers yesterday and we still have a lot of cap space left for other guys. Instead of improving 1 area on our team, we are improving the entire team with better players. The problem is with a lot of people is, they are not star players. History tells us, that teams that blow their cap space on 2 or 3 stars are the teams that fail, and are in cap heck for yrs.. Let the rest of free agency play out and see where were at come training camp. That goes to everybody thats whining about what we've done so far.

Yeah if Grigs lands a safety & another guard this FA campaign should be be looked at as a success at least in my eyes,

at least all major areas of concern will have have been addressed to some extent, and the draft can be opened up to BPA...

that is exactly what i thought yesterday. they are in a gret position for the draft1

You have a warped outlook on our signings and not accurate either. I have said a dozen times that we would not have given Walden 4 mil. per unless somebody else was also bidding for him which would mean that we weren't the only team that wanted him. Toler, Cherilous, and Thomas were all very good signings and Sidbury has potential. You obviously do not know enough about these players to make an accurate assessment on their skills.

That's one bidding war that I wish we had lost......

Good morning....

My gut feeling (and I've got quite the gut!) tells me we will not hear a whole lot of compliments from many in the media.

Face it,  not only do most of us not know who most of the players are that we signed,  neither do the so-called media experts.

They are not GM's.   They are not scouts.   They are not talent evaluators.   

Some might give Grigson the benefit of the doubt based on his terrific first year.   But I don't expect anyone to lavish praise on him either.

I'm more expecting to hear we over-paid for Walden or Toler, or someone else, than I'm expecting to hear how brave Grigson is and that he has the courage to avoid the names in favor of no-name, plain wrap, who's he type of players.   

It's not sexy.   It gets no headlines.   The only time we'll get praise is if we have another good year.

Then, these same people will start saying....   "looks like Ryan Grigson knew what he was doing all along!"

As a one-time member of the media,  that's what I'm expecting.    Hope I'm wrong.   Hope we get some praise.    But I'll be a bit surprised if we do....

Guess Cowherd raved about the Colts FA moves & said Grigson crushed it... Guess he went on to say he thought Colts made the best moves of all the teams...

Lets see you do anywhere near as good as he did given the cap crap he was put into.

Lets see you do anywhere near as good as he did given the cap crap he was put into.

I was just going to state this. He's acting like he had some more to go out and get players last year. Some people don't think about the whole situation he had to deal with. 

Guess Cowherd raved about the Colts FA moves & said Grigson crushed it... Guess he went on to say he thought Colts made the best moves of all the teams...

I was initially upset that we didn't get Vasquez, but after I seen what we finally done, I think we done a great job, and the best part is, we still have plenty of money to continue our shopping spree. I'm super excited to see where we go from here and how much we've improved by the time the season rolls around.

This logic again? Seriously? 

Yes THIS logic. Sorry if I'm coming off a bit *baggy, but it's simple. We had thrift store money to shop with so we had to go to the thrift store to buy instead of Sears/Lowes/HD/Best Buy you get my drift. The fact that we found even one quality player much less 3 with that money plus the trade for VD which is looking to be a hit is nothing less than outstanding.

Oh, for the Love of God!!    It's March 2013 and you're STILL dealing with last year's stuff?    Yeah, last year really sucked.   Can't believe fans put up with an 11-5 season.    

There's a reason Grigson signed those guys.    We couldn't spend $40 Million dollars!   It was called Dead Cap Money.   We talked about it constantly last year.    We only had an $80 Million dollar roster.   When you can't spend a lot of money to sign FA's,  then that's who you sign.  

Have you not read ANY THREADS here the last 6 months?!?    Sure seems that way.  

We had NO MONEY TO SPEND!!!!!     Hello!?!?!    Where have you been?!?     No!!!!    Money!!!!

That's why Grigson signed the guys he signed last year.   Not because he thought they were All-Pro's!

:facepalm:      :slaphead:      :loco:      :panic:      :bored:

p.s. --  can't believe you actually suckered three colts fans into 'liking' your post.    I'd be ashamed.

Oh, for the Love of God!!    It's March 2013 and you're STILL dealing with last year's stuff?    Yeah, last year really sucked.   Can't believe fans put up with an 11-5 season.    

There's a reason Grigson signed those guys.    We couldn't spend $40 Million dollars!   It was called Dead Cap Money.   We talked about it constantly last year.    We only had an $80 Million dollar roster.   When you can't spend a lot of money to sign FA's,  then that's who you sign.  

Have you not read ANY THREADS here the last 6 months?!?    Sure seems that way.  

We had NO MONEY TO SPEND!!!!!     Hello!?!?!    Where have you been?!?     No!!!!    Money!!!!

That's why Grigson signed the guys he signed last year.   Not because he thought they were All-Pro's!

:facepalm:      :slaphead:      :loco:      :panic:      :bored:

p.s. --  can't believe you actually suckered three colts fans into 'liking' your post.    I'd be ashamed.

This is needlessly emotional and missing the point entirely. I'm aware there was very little money and I'm aware that the season was a remarkable improvement. I was also an advocate of Grigson for executive of the year, and I stand by that - however, not because of his free agency pickups. Outside of the three I mentioned, they were terrible - the draft and coaching hires were Grigson's best work. 

I'm not using it as an example to say Grigson is terrible or that he had a terrible year etc and to assume that is desperate and faulty. I'm making the simple comparison - the logic of "have faith in Grigson" is COMPLETELY irrelevant because this is his first FA opportunity with money, so there's no precedent to say "It'll be fine", and the closest thing we have to a comparison is a budget FA, where he didn't impress. If you see me complaining about his draft picks, THEN you can use the "have faith in Grigson" line.