Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have lost 3 big targets

Andy

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just saying that if he was that decent, on a line that horrible, wouldn't they have wanted to resign him?

By this theory that would mean that there were no good free agents. You realize everyone getting picked up today used to play for a team that didn't want them or couldn't afford a new contract for them, right?

We signed DB Greg Toler anyone know anything about him?

I know everything about him!

Good sized corner with good speed and solid instincts. Most likely the #2 CB for the Colts. Could easily play the nickel spot. 

Erm... what was wrong with the Lions offensive line?  They gave up 29 sacks compared to 740 pass attempts.  That was the 4th best sack:attempt ratio in the NFL last year, over 25 attempts per sack.

Stop with all your fancy facts and such

The Colts are getting killed in the early part of Free Agency:

- Louis Vasquez is going to Denver, probably to replace Chris Kuper.

- Paul Kruger is going to Cleveland

- Andy Levitre is going to Tennessee.

The Colts still have plenty of targets left, but the ones that generated a lot of buzz on this board are gone. 

It is my opinion that only the fans are getting "killed" with todays activity by the team. The targets didn't generate the buzz, fans did. Just sayin....

I love it!  They are doing exactly as I hoped and predicted they are doing.  They are bringing in mid-level young veterans that are under the radar but good players.  I would take this bunch over signing a big name any day.

I got that Curtis Dickey card somewhere, what is it 82 Topps,lol.

It is my opinion that only the fans are getting "killed" with todays activity by the team. The targets didn't generate the buzz, fans did. Just sayin....

I agree but Vasquez and Levitre would've been great signings.  Isn't that Erik guy (who I've never heard of) getting something like 4 million/yr and Packers fans/organization thought he was disposable?  Could've definitely saved some of that $ and brought in a proven like Vasquez.  It's not like that would be blown up over the media. 

I think they wanted vasquez just grigson made a boo boo, letting the broncos get him that cheap was a mess up on grigsons part. 

But he made a boo boo hes a rookie GM hes not gonna be perfect.

If we had wanted Vasquez we would have gotten him ... we had the money and the connections.  Grigson definitely is not afraid to pull the trigger if he wants someone; see V. Davis & TY!

He's the highest rated right tackle in free agency. He wasn't released; his contract expired. And Cherilus gave up five sacks last season on a team that threw the ball more than any team in NFL history. He's a good addition.

Or would you rather have Winston Justice for another year?

You forgot about Andre Smith... right ? However I'm reading that Cherlius , although not great at opening holes in the running game , is an exceptional pass blocker. 

Willie McGinest said on ESPN  Avril is the fastest player around the corner he's ever seen.

That's why I think he needs to stay in a 4-3. Even explosive players have to slow down a little bit in our hybrid defense, because you have run containment responsibilities as either a Sam or a Rush backer. Suggs plays significantly slower than Freeney or Mathis did in our 4-3 defense. Can't just shoot up the field every down, or you'll run yourself out of the play and leave your teammates hanging.

I like Avril, and I think he could fit the hybrid, but some of his best attributes are going to be bridled as a backer in our defense.

You forgot about Andre Smith... right ? However I'm reading that Cherlius , although not great at opening holes in the running game , is an exceptional pass blocker. 

Yeah, I forgot about Andre Smith.

But some have Cherilus ranked ahead of Smith as a pass blocker. And for the money, Cherilus is a better value.

Yeah, I forgot about Andre Smith.

But some have Cherilus ranked ahead of Smith as a pass blocker. And for the money, Cherilus is a better value.

Do you know what we signed him for ? I know Smith was looking for 9 mill per ... but hard to talk value when we don't know all the numbers. I also like the signing as Sowel almost ended Luck's career.

That's why I think he needs to stay in a 4-3. Even explosive players have to slow down a little bit in our hybrid defense, because you have run containment responsibilities as either a Sam or a Rush backer. Suggs plays significantly slower than Freeney or Mathis did in our 4-3 defense. Can't just shoot up the field every down, or you'll run yourself out of the play and leave your teammates hanging.

I like Avril, and I think he could fit the hybrid, but some of his best attributes are going to be bridled as a backer in our defense.

I have a feeling I might have been wrong about Avirl to the Colts. Paying 16 mill for the Packer guy makes me think we might have moved on.

Do you know what we signed him for ? I know Smith was looking for 9 mill per ... but hard to talk value when we don't know all the numbers. I also like the signing as Sowel almost ended Luck's career.

I saw a report that it's a five year deal, but haven't seen anything about the money yet. Can't imagine it's anywhere near what Smith wants, and I'd be surprised if it's more than $5m/year.

I have a feeling I might have been wrong about Avirl to the Colts. Paying 16 mill for the Packer guy makes me think we might have moved on.

I hope so. I can deal with overpaying at $4m/year for Warden. It's a horse of a different color to pay Avril $12m/year (or more), with a ton of guaranteed money.

I say the Colts go Jerry Jones on this situation and grab Heyward-Bay and Revis.

I actually don't think I'm kidding (I'm not sure though).

Talk some sense into me

Giving up all the draft picks for revis would be crazy, not to mention the money he is going to want to resign..

Im only angry about Vasquez. I believed with everything i had that we had he locked up, all he needed to do was sign, but apparently, we just couldn't make a connection. I didn't expect to get levitre, but i didn't expect these signgings either. Ill wait and see what else Grigson will do, before i empty out my magazine of hollow tipped (verbal) bullets on the Colts staff......

Giving up all the draft picks for revis would be crazy, not to mention the money he is going to want to resign..

I'll bet someone gives up a 4th to rent him for a year. No team will go long term right now, and the Jets don't want the distraction. I'd be down for capitalizing on their self inflicted crisis. (I realize most wouldn't be)

I'll bet someone gives up a 4th to rent him for a year. No team will go long term right now, and the Jets don't want the distraction. I'd be down for capitalizing on their self inflicted crisis. (I realize most wouldn't be)

I would be surprised if the jets let him go for a fourth

Im only angry about Vasquez. I believed with everything i had that we had he locked up, all he needed to do was sign, but apparently, we just couldn't make a connection. I didn't expect to get levitre, but i didn't expect these signgings either. Ill wait and see what else Grigson will do, before i empty out my magazine of hollow tipped (verbal) bullets on the Colts staff......

I wanted Vasquez, I was probably the first guy to mention him several months ago, but at this point people are vastly overrating him IMO. Hell, Donald Thomas is probably 95% the player Vasquez is at half the price.

I saw a report that it's a five year deal, but haven't seen anything about the money yet. Can't imagine it's anywhere near what Smith wants, and I'd be surprised if it's more than $5m/year.

Ouch. It's looking like five years, $34m, with $10m bonus. https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/311633241977270273

Still better than Smith at $9m/year, but that's more debatable. Also need to see structure and guaranteed money.

2 out of 3 of those weren't coming to begin with. So we only lost ONE. And that's Vasquez

So the cheapest of the three was someone that the coaching staff had intended to take. . . based on the fact that you personally wanted him. You people are amazing sometimes.

So the cheapest of the three was someone that the coaching staff had intended to take. . . based on the fact that you personally wanted him. You people are amazing sometimes.

Umm, I didn't want any of the 3 simply because

1. Kruger is overrated

2. I haven't the SLIGHTEST clue about offensive linemen. I actually voted Avril as the 1st signing. So, yeah......

Umm, I didn't want any of the 3 simply because

1. Kruger is overrated

2. I haven't the SLIGHTEST clue about offensive linemen. I actually voted Avril as the 1st signing. So, yeah......

You blatantly said Vasquez in the post I quoted, but ok.

You blatantly said Vasquez in the post I quoted, but ok.

Yes, Vasquez as in he's the only one we truly "lost". Kruger wanted too much (notice the $40 million) & Levitre doesn't fit a man scheme as he does zone blocking. So Vasquez was the only serious guy we could've brought in.

Ouch. It's looking like five years, $34m, with $10m bonus. https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/311633241977270273

Still better than Smith at $9m/year, but that's more debatable. Also need to see structure and guaranteed money.

I don't think its that bad considering Vasquez got $23.5 mil/4 years - $13 million guaranteed (and most here thought that was a great deal) ... and one would assume a top rated T would command more than a guard.