Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dumerville or Kruger ?

I found this off of rotoworld.

Elvis Dumervil - DL - Broncos

The Denver Post reports contract restructuring talks between the Broncos and RE Elvis Dumervil appear to have reached an impasse.

The exact same term -- "impasse" -- was used in Pittsburgh to describe James Harrison's negotiations before the Steelers cut him. Agent Marty Magid sent the Broncos a contract proposal on Friday, and the two sides have had "no communication" since. Denver may be preparing Dumervil's walking papers. "Elvis has been working out, he’s healthy, he feels great," Magid said. "He wants to stay with the Broncos. Right now, we’re waiting to hear back from them."

if you were going to choose .. who would you choose?

People in Denver are all * about all of this.. I told a friend of mine they can have Freeney, Collie and we would give them Vaughn back for Dumerville... they were not happy..

I know it is not official, but the feeling out here is the fans are very upset with Elway and the FO with the Broncos.

Kruger over dumervill is nuts. Elvis dominates as a 3-4 rush LB kruger does nothing for me

Not nuts when you consider Kruger is younger, has only started 7 games and has 15.5 sacks, played in 51 games, 15.5 sacks is pretty good for a guy thats only started 7 games, Now I do have questions about if he can play the Freeney role consistently, dont have those questions with Dumervil, 29 though

den ran the 3/4 with elvis he has his best years as the rush backer

Learn something new everyday! I seriously did not know that. I don't even recall Denver running a 3/4. I don't pay much attention to other players or teams besides the Colts ;) my bad!

I seriously hope we don't sign Kruger to a ridiculous contract. That will come back and bite us in the you know what if you know what I mean. Fortify the lines and if we don't land a stud pass rusher we could always attempt to trade up a bit to grab one in a deep OLB draft (not ideal or probable though).

Dum said he could LEARN to play in the 3-4. Zero chance Griggs wants him.

what? he already played on mike nolans Defense as a OLB when Mcdaniels was HC...he als played on the Allen's hybrid defense...his best 2 years i might add

Wen has Dumerville ever played in a 3/4? None to my knowledge. So how can he be better? He is a good de sure, but to claim he is better than Kruger is just silly

He played 3-4 OLB in Mike Nolan's defense and had one of his best seasons to date.

Oddly enough, Denver drafted Dumerville after Shanahan fell in love with Freeney when he coached him at the Pro-Bowl.

As long as he's not commanding a crazy contract, I'd take Dumerville. He's had proven success over a number of years, not one like Kruger.

Depends on price... I'd take Dumerville for 7 before Kruger for 10... at the same price I'd have to lean toward the younger Kruger even though Dumerville is a proven talent and isn't all that old... I think Kruger is a better fit... not that I'm a huge fan...

In all actuality, I'd pass on Kruger if he demands more than 8mil and I'm not crazy about him at that price... he definitely shouldn't make more than Mathis IMO..

Not nuts when you consider Kruger is younger, has only started 7 games and has 15.5 sacks, played in 51 games, 15.5 sacks is pretty good for a guy thats only started 7 games, Now I do have questions about if he can play the Freeney role consistently, dont have those questions with Dumervil, 29 though

I'm going to like this, not because I agree with what you're saying (because I don't), but because you're the only person who has spelled his name right so far.

I'm going to like this, not because I agree with what you're saying (because I don't), but because you're the only person who has spelled his name right so far.

I felt so weird spelling his name as OP did, and realized just a few minutes ago why...lol

Considering Dumervil is apparently unwilling to move off these numbers.... http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/elvis-dumervil/ ...and Kruger is rumored be asking in the $9-10M+ per year range....I'd pass on both of them and move on to Butler, Barnes or another mid-level veteran 3-4 OLB and then look to draft and develop another.

Again I would take the rumors of what they are asking for with a grain of salt.  Even if he's out there saying he wants 9 to 10 million that doesn't mean.  A. That any team will actually give that to him.  B. That he even expects to get that.  

It's probably a negotiation tactic.  Start on the extreme end of what is sane and then work your way down to a number where you and the team meet in the middle.  In the end he probably gets 6 or 7 million.  

Again I would take the rumors of what they are asking for with a grain of salt.  Even if he's out there saying he wants 9 to 10 million that doesn't mean.  A. That any team will actually give that to him.  B. That he even expects to get that.  

It's probably a negotiation tactic.  Start on the extreme end of what is sane and then work your way down to a number where you and the team meet in the middle.  In the end he probably gets 6 or 7 million.  

I agree.

In the $6-7M range I'm okay with Kruger.....and if the "bidding war with Cleveland" rumors prove to be false too, then $6-7M per year might be realistic.

I'm pretty confident that Irsay, Grigson and Pagano have a set number in mind and they'll stick to that or take another option.

" entering the 2009 season, defensive coordinator Mike Nolan moved Dumervil around as an outside linebacker in his 3-4 defensive scheme, but keeping him as a defensive end on 4-3 passing down situations. Dumervil led the league in sacks with 17. At the conclusion of the season, Dumervil was a near unanimous selection for the All-Pro Team, receiving 46 out of the 50 total votes. He also finished third in voting for Defensive Player of the Year."

Dumervil, w/o hesitation! He is exactly the kind of hybrid OLB/DE that we need. Even if we took his current contract (13.6/11.6/9.8 ). The salary cap for the league goes up next year anyway to $134 million, so we would have plenty of room.

latest update from rotoworld

Elvis Dumervil - DL - Broncos

Broncos RE Elvis Dumervil has requested his release after the sides got "no closer" to a resolution in their contract impasse on Monday.

"We're at an impasse," Dumervil's agent confirmed. "(Elvis) loves the Broncos. ... But if we can't reach common ground and you know as an organization that you're going to release him, then we'd like for them to release him by (Tuesday) and not wait another four days." The "another four days" is in reference to Dumervil's $12 million salary becoming fully guaranteed on Saturday. The Broncos are insisting on a pay-cut, while Dumervil is only willing to restructure. He's likely played his final down in Denver.

sorry about the spelling..