Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian Just Said...

HarassedOffTheSite

McAfee has said he wants to do it and I believe it would make him the first player in NFL history to do punts, kickoffs, field goals, and extra points.  I certainly think he has the leg strength for it.  To me, it becomes an issue of wearing the leg out because of him taking too many kicks.  How will his leg hold up when you get to week 15, 16, 17, and the playoffs?

McAfee has said he wants to do it and I believe it would make him the first player in NFL history to do punts, kickoffs, field goals, and extra points.  I certainly think he has the leg strength for it.  To me, it becomes an issue of wearing the leg out because of him taking too many kicks.  How will his leg hold up when you get to week 15, 16, 17, and the playoffs?

Okay cool. Hmgh. I had no idea.

I do not see merit in the argument that this would be too much of a strain on his leg. There are a lot of sports that require constant kicking over a long period of time, with a heavier ball. Try being a goalkeeper in Gaelic Football.  

If there are issues with McAfee being the kicker, that shouldn't be one of them.

A coach could not allow one player to do it all today in my observation.  You get a high scoring game where that leg will be sore.

We know Pat would love to do it, and is a Youtube legend with his 70 yarders.....just not practical in the NFL....

Well maybe Pat can do it all but plan B would be to have a back up in case he should get hurt. :)

I think having a back up would not work because you would need a back up kicker and punter, no thanks. Just keep him as the punter and let someone else handle the field goals and PAT's 

McAfee has said he wants to do it and I believe it would make him the first player in NFL history to do punts, kickoffs, field goals, and extra points. I certainly think he has the leg strength for it. To me, it becomes an issue of wearing the leg out because of him taking too many kicks. How will his leg hold up when you get to week 15, 16, 17, and the playoffs?

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think that it's too much of a concern. Even if he averaged an additional 5 place kicking attempts a game, which would be an excessive number of field goals, that is still not even a blip on the radar considering the amount of field goals you know Patty Mac is kicking on his own in practice. When it comes to a repetitive motion like that I don't worry too much given that he could counterbalance it with a slightly lighter practice load. Just my opinion.

I guess I took it for granted that he meant when the time comes for A.V. to retire, MacAfee would take over FG duties and we'll draft a guy to eventually take over punting duties.

Thinking Pat better stick to what he does best because I have read numerous times he's is not that accurate in the FG duties. :) 

(just posting what I have read)

McAfee has said he wants to do it and I believe it would make him the first player in NFL history to do punts, kickoffs, field goals, and extra points. I certainly think he has the leg strength for it. To me, it becomes an issue of wearing the leg out because of him taking too many kicks. How will his leg hold up when you get to week 15, 16, 17, and the playoffs?

The Falcons tried this with Michael Koenen one year a few years ago.

It ended badly.

Punter, kicker, kick-offs and holder!  I really think it could be done but I wouldn't do it!

I think having a back up would not work because you would need a back up kicker and punter, no thanks. Just keep him as the punter and let someone else handle the field goals and PAT's 

Yes and if injured you would need a back-up as posted. Let the punter and kicker be the "emergency" back-up for each other. A lot of the kickers and punters are great athletes -  Ray Guy, Hunter Smith and Rohn Stark to name a few that were not only using their legs but were "emergency" positional players as well.

My question is all about his accuracy, 73.4 percent made field goals coming out of college does not exactly leave me with warm fuzzy feelings if he becomes Vinny's replacement, He can kick it 80 yards for all I care, if he is not hitting at 82.6 percent of his field goal attempts then Ill pass. (Vinny's career make percentage)

Punter, kicker, kick-offs and holder!  I really think it could be done but I wouldn't do it!

Yes and if injured you would need a back-up as posted. Let the punter and kicker be the "emergency" back-up for each other. A lot of the kickers and punters are great athletes -  Ray Guy, Hunter Smith and Rohn Stark to name a few that were not only using their legs but were "emergency" positional players as well.

George Blanda?  QB...kicker, danced with the cheerleaders....sold peanuts and Ice Cold Beer???   :spit:  :funny:

My question is all about his accuracy, 73.4 percent made field goals coming out of college does not exactly leave me with warm fuzzy feelings if he becomes Vinny's replacement, He can kick it 80 yards for all I care, if he is not hitting at 82.6 percent of his field goal attempts then Ill pass. (Vinny's career make percentage)

P Mac is not capable of being Mr. acuracy.  You are correct.  I said last year we could use him situationally.....big leg does not equal accuracy...and there will never be a kicker/punter in the league without reliable back-up.  Especially Pat...who likes to pretend to be a linebacker on kick returns  :spit:

82559e_edel_1120120.jpg

Sorry can't hear you over the winning-est decade in NFL history.

Don't pretend you don't know exactly what I was saying.

One ring in a dozen years ending in 2-14 might satisfy you, but not me.  I'm not one of those fans who is satisfied with gaudy regular season stats followed by post-season collapses.  But that's the way the team was built.

I love Patty Mac, but I don't want to wear his leg out. I don't know if it would or not, but there's a reason nobody else is punting, kickoffs, and FG's already. I know he can kick 70 yard FG's, but if accuracy is an issue, then who cares how long you can kick it?

That said, we do need to start planning for AV's replacement.

I was at LOS last summer when they did practice there the one day.  Watched Pat putting them through the uprights at 45 yds,  50 yeds, and 60 yds.   Of course no pressure of guys charging at you,  but he has the leg and aim.  Has been working with Vinateri on regular basis

Sure we seen Pat can boom it, but how accurate is he? The Boomers are punters, and the accurate guys are kickers.

He still knows the plan for the players he drafted.

I was at LOS last summer when they did practice there the one day.  Watched Pat putting them through the uprights at 45 yds,  50 yeds, and 60 yds.   Of course no pressure of guys charging at you,  but he has the leg and aim.  Has been working with Vinateri on regular basis

I know he can kick them Coltman51.  On the long ones, how is his trajectory?  The ones on youtube would be blocked they are so low to the line of scrimmage to start.

I know he can kick them Coltman51.  On the long ones, how is his trajectory?  The ones on youtube would be blocked they are so low to the line of scrimmage to start.

???????  can't say for sure,  was sitting up by 50 yd line so not a good angle to see that.  My bad

It's probably a moot point because kickers can play a long time and AV still seems to like doing it.  That being said, I think if Pat was asked to do it as a starter, that he would become very accurate.  You can't go by his college accuracy.  He has kicked the ball 1,000 times since then as a professional and would be decidedly better I would think.

Two years ago I said in a thread that they ought to have Pat Mac do both and thereby save money by having 2 for the price of 1.5.

From 1975 to 1979 the Winnipeg Blue Bombers had one of the CFL's best, Bernie Ruoff, pulling double duty. Ruoff played in the league from 1975 to 1988 doing both and excelled at both. Also realize, it was the CFL, which means more kicks and punts than an NFLer is likely going to have to make, so I think this talk of wearing out the leg is WAY over stated. Fact of the matter is, for the few times a guy has to punt or kick, if his leg wears out, he's in pretty fragile of a condition.

Bernie Ruoff (born October 12, 1951 in West Germany) is a former punter and placekicker for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers from 1975–1979 and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats from 1980-1987 of the Canadian Football League.[1][2] He finished his CFL career in 1988, playing 5 games for the British Columbia Lions. Ruoff scored 1,772 points in 14 seasons in the CFL and is one of the leading scorers in league history. He also holds CFL records for the longest field goal (56 yards in 1984), most punts in one game (22 in 1984), and most punting yards in one game (1,054 in 1984).[3] He attended college at Syracuse University,[4] where he played for Hall of Fame coach Ben Schwartzwalder. He attended Cameron Heights Collegiate School.

Mac potentially doing it all has been discussed a lot locally and nearly everyone who has witnessed his kicking agree that he is not the answer post AV.     Just too erratic, he is not consistent enough.    Perhaps if he really worked on it maybe???    Who kows....

I don't see it happening.    But if he could do it all that would be great having the extra roster spot.

I think if Pat was asked to do it as a starter, that he would become very accurate.  You can't go by his college accuracy.  He has kicked the ball 1,000 times since then as a professional and would be decidedly better I would think.

just like vandershank got better???