Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Jenkins

NDcolt

This is a big year for Grigson. He did a fantastic job of getting the team into the position it is in this year. Meaning we're 40+ million under the cap and we don't have any dead weight. He brought in a number of lower priced free agents who produced well. Now that he has some $ to spend he needs to land a few top end free agents who will be difference makers and be around 4 to 5 years. This years free agents are going to have to be the glue that puts together a super bowl run. I realize the draft is important but FA is where you spend most of your money and if you spend it foolishly you put yourself in a bad position. I hope he does as well this year as he did last.

lol excuse my lack of research but size wise and physicality i still like that about Williams... And without looking it up i wouldn't b shocked if lacey had a better year than Vaughn

I like Williams size too, but I wouldn't give him the 8-10 million he reportedly wants. I would rather have him over some of the other FA CB's on the market but not for a big contract. I would still take Jenkins over anybody else we have on the roster except Davis.

He graded out really well in his first two years and then has been hampered by his shoulder the last two years. I don't think attitude is a huge concern, he seemed to be more miffed that he went from the Cowboys #1 to #3 in a matter of a month. I for one, would hope he would be upset as a competitor, otherwise he has no business being in the league. 

If his shoulder is solid after surgery, I would love to see Grigson make a play on him. He should command less than some of the other FA CBs because of the injury, and has as much or more upside than most of them. We could also front load his contract so if he doesn't perform, he won't kill the cap in future year. On paper, Davis, Jenkins, Butler, and Powers would be a nice top 4 that wouldn't break the bank. Yes, I do think Powers would be a good nickle or dime corner and we could sign him for a pretty low amount.

It seems to me that there is a decent chance Grigson will sign him based on his interest last year and the probability that he won't command top dollar. I'm not really sure why no one but Brad Wells has talked about it...

I think Jenkins has huge upside & is only 27yrs old coming off his rookie contract as a 1ST RD pick.  I agree he should not demand as high a salary as others & would be a good compliment to Davis.  Lets not forget he missed all of 2012 off season due to rehabbing.  Go get em Grigs!

We will sign at least 2 veteran cornbacks.

Butler is on our wish list as the slot guy/maybe starter opp. Davis.

If they don`t get Butler, Jenkins might be considered.

I don`t think Jenkins would be chosen over many of the FA`s that will be available as our #2 corner.

Considering his ability to Press cover, tackle, and with his shoulder. Better options.

We will sign at least 2 veteran cornbacks.

Butler is on our wish list as the slot guy/maybe starter opp. Davis.

If they don`t get Butler, Jenkins might be considered.

I don`t think Jenkins would be chosen over many of the FA`s that will be available as our #2 corner.

Considering his ability to Press cover, tackle, and with his shoulder. Better options.

No way Butler is a #2 corner. He's a solid nickle guy and that's about it.

I wouldn't touch Mike Jenkins, I remember we wanted him last year but he is a average CB. But he has some attitude issues that I feel could harm the team chemistry.

Remember Vontae's last year in Miami? he didnt do well at all. Some were saying he wasnt worth the 1st pick that Miami used on him, and i know he missed games with injury, but to come back and get 4 ints in 3 games, and dont forget the last game against Texans where he made Andre Johnson look STOOPID by running his route for him and catching Johnsons touchdown pass and turning it into an INT while Johnson was trying to catch up 5 YRD back (i love that play!!!), goes to show that its hard, even for millionaire players to put all effort when no one around you is. He came to indy and returned to form. And i believe this is Jake Long's problem, too. If we acquired Mike Jenkins, he would be cast among a Colts team of Playmakers and he will shine. IMO

I hope so... I don't think Dallas was using him right this year... He was their #1 corner coming into the season and then ran his mouth and ended up their nickel guy. I know he didn't rate highly on PFF this year, but Williams is a clown, IMO, Shields is a RFA, DRC has been discussed ad nauseum, Smith is not very good...

I'd say Lewis is a decent candidate, along with Jenkins, Houston, Toler, and Grimes/Owens from ATL. Pacman and Talib are interesting options, but have off the field and work ethic concerns.

We should resign Butler.

I'd be happy with Rhodes or Banks in the draft, as well.

Remember Vontae's last year in Miami? he didnt do well at all. Some were saying he wasnt worth the 1st pick that Miami used on him, and i know he missed games with injury, but to come back and get 4 ints in 3 games, and dont forget the last game against Texans where he made Andre Johnson look STOOPID by running his route for him and catching Johnsons touchdown pass and turning it into an INT while Johnson was trying to catch up 5 YRD back (i love that play!!!), goes to show that its hard, even for millionaire players to put all effort when no one around you is. He came to indy and returned to form. And i believe this is Jake Long's problem, too. If we acquired Mike Jenkins, he would be cast among a Colts team of Playmakers and he will shine. IMO

I certainly would hope that a guy could just come here and turn his career around, given the right situation, and the right coaching.

I personally just don't think Mike Jenkins is a guy that can change. But that is just my opinion, Grigson might think Jenkins is a player who could turn it around under Pagano. I will trust Grigson to make that decision, whatever it may be.

I hope so... I don't think Dallas was using him right this year... He was their #1 corner coming into the season and then ran his mouth and ended up their nickel guy. I know he didn't rate highly on PFF this year, but Williams is a clown, IMO, Shields is a RFA, DRC has been discussed ad nauseum, Smith is not very good...

I'd say Lewis is a decent candidate, along with Jenkins, Houston, Toler, and Grimes/Owens from ATL. Pacman and Talib are interesting options, but have off the field and work ethic concerns.

We should resign Butler.

I'd be happy with Rhodes or Banks in the draft, as well.

Jenkins, I don't believe, lost his spot due to his mouth, but because he had shoulder surgery before the draft and the Cowboys didn't have much of a choice but to go after Claiborne. They had just signed Carr to go with Jenkins, but again the injury to Jenkins caused him to miss all of camp and the preseason. Claiborne and Carr were ready to go. Jenkins got moved to the nickel and never really made it back outside. I don't think his mouth was his cause to be dropped in the depth chart.

Im gonna jumpin here and say that Butler was Killer last year. He was Definantly better than Powers. Butler is a nickel Grandslam, seriously. As a #2 im not sure but as a nickel, absolutely. Look y'all, you know that the NFL is a Passing league more than ever until a few years when Defense catches up, so the Nickel pot is Just as important, if not more , as the #1 or #2 position. because the way the passing records are falling every year, we cant count on MLB's to cover the Welkers and Collies, and Roberts, anymore. Putting it simply, the Slot reciever has evolved and the only way to counter that is the Nickel corner. so, you'll see, in two years, the nickel corner willbe the most important DB on the roster. And Butler is a Perfect Fit!!