Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson on FA Spending: From Indy Star.....

NewColtsFan

I'm going to cut and paste a section of a story in the last few days from the Indy Star....

Some of this is the writer....   but you'll be able to spot the Grigson quotes....    I think you'll find them interesting and revealing....

Unlike last offseason, Grigson has the resources to do some serious shopping. He'll have about $46 million in cap space when the new league year begins in two months, although that figure doesn't take into account signing draft picks or re-signing his veterans such as punter Pat McAfee, cornerback Jerraud Powers and defensive end Fili Moala.

Just because he has financial flexibility, though, doesn't mean Grigson will go on a buying binge.

"I'm not going to make a splash signing somebody or try to blow money over here just because we might have it," he said during the season. "I've never been raised that way.

"Everyone keeps saying you're going to have all this money ... and it's going to be nice because I barely had any to work with this year. Part of my strength as a general manager is my background in the scouting department, and the staff I have is excellent. If I watch film on 10 guys and really like one guy, then I have to go get him."

Grigs is just blowing smoke. He HAS to spend the money. He HAS no choice per new CBA rules, he has to spend 89% of that 46 million which comes out to just under 41 million dollars. It's going to be extremely difficult to spend that much money without making a couple major signings. Unless he way overpays to keep some of our own guys or overpays for average FA's. 

Grigs is just blowing smoke. He HAS to spend the money. He HAS no choice per new CBA rules, he has to spend 89% of that 46 million which comes out to just under 41 million dollars. It's going to be extremely difficult to spend that much money without making a couple major signings. Unless he way overpays to keep some of our own guys or overpays for average FA's. 

Absolutely. Just a normal 'presser' type of double speak. What else can he say really....

Is that 89% over a set period of years or every year?

I thought it was 90% of the entire cap not just available cap.

Not 89% of the $46M, 89% of the total cap of ~$120M, or ~$106.8M.

In theory, we'd only need to spend around $33M to get there.

Not 89% of the $46M, 89% of the total cap of ~$120M, or ~$106.8M.

In theory, we'd only need to spend around $33M to get there.

Thanks. I wasn't clear on that part. I guess they need to spend less than I thought, but still thats a lot of money that has to be spent.

Sure, by rule he has to spend the money, but as it said in the article, he still has to sign some of our guys.  He may want to extend current contracts too.

I think what he's saying, actually I hope what he's saying, is that he's not going to go out and do an Albert Haynesworth.  He's going to study the available players like he's always done and pick what's best for the team.

I've said it before, if next season Shipley, Satele, Reitz, Justice, and Link are backups, and other than Castonzo, the rest are gone, we're going to the SB.  (don't take that too literal, I may have missed someone)

Sure, by rule he has to spend the money, but as it said in the article, he still has to sign some of our guys.  He may want to extend current contracts too.

I think what he's saying, actually I hope what he's saying, is that he's not going to go out and do an Albert Haynesworth.  He's going to study the available players like he's always done and pick what's best for the team.

I've said it before, if next season Shipley, Satele, Reitz, Justice, and Link are backups, and other than Castonzo, the rest are gone, we're going to the SB.  (don't take that too literal, I may have missed someone)

I agree, but I think the guys we'll resign are only minimal contracts. I don't see a future for Freeney in Indy and that would really be the only guy we have that would command a bigger salary. I hope there is no Haynesworth type contract in our future either, but I think there are some nice O-line pieces available that won't break the bank but still provide nice upgrades for us.

My free agent wish list:

DBs - Dashon Goldson, S, 49ers; Cary Williams, CB, Ravens; Keenan lewis, CB, Steelers;

OL - Jake Long, OT; Andy Levitre, OG; Matt Slauson, OG; Louis Vasquez, OG

DL - Richard Seymour, DT/DE

OLB - Anthony Spencer; Paul Kruger; Antwan Barnes

If we can get Dashon Goldson, Cary Williams, Andy Levitre, Jake Long/Richard Seymour and Paul Kruger out of this list, I would call those key additions that would take us to division title contenders right away, IMO.

I actually like the sound of that. I mean, the money is going to get spent. I thought his quotes were more geared towards how he intends to spend it. Like we shouldn't expect him to go out and sign 2-3 flashy signs, when he could upgrade a significant amount of the roster with the funds. He's going to do what he thinks is in our best interests, and boy do I trust his instincts for talent.

My free agent wish list:

DBs - Dashon Goldson, S, 49ers; Cary Williams, CB, Ravens; Keenan lewis, CB, Steelers;

If we can get Dashon Goldson, Cary Williams, Andy Levitre, Jake Long/Richard Seymour and Paul Kruger out of this list, I would call those key additions that would take us to division title contenders right away, IMO.

I don't want anything at all to do with Long. I would much rather get Bushrod or Loadholt. Long is so over rated it's ridiculous. I have posted it in other threads so I won't go into great detail, but there is a reason why Miami don't want this guy and its not because they don't have the money, because they have plenty of it. 

I'll pass on Seymour too. Getting too old IMO plus I don't think D-line is in that bad of shape. The others are fine and I'd happily take.

Grigson is telling the truth. Bottom line, the colts will need to get mosly better on their own without outside help. not much coming from the outside. don't believe all that garbage people are spewwing about must spend this must spend that, yea, do you realize how many loopholes are in that ??

Grigson is telling the truth. Bottom line, the colts will need to get mosly better on their own without outside help. not much coming from the outside. don't believe all that garbage people are spewwing about must spend this must spend that, yea, do you realize how many loopholes are in that ??

Ok Mr. Goodell, Please explain the loopholes and nobody is accusing Grigson of Lying. Simply saying he is not coming out and saying, "Hey, were gonna sign this guy and that guy and everybody else we can talk into coming here". BTW, there are no loopholes to the 89% rule. It's pretty clear cut.

My free agent wish list:

Seymour is the kind of guy that might not be able to play 100% all year long, but in a playoff game, he is savvy and talented enough to take over a game.

I haven't seen enough of Jake Long.  Is he not trying (lack of motor), bad attitude, or is he physically unable to be great?  There's a difference.  If it's physical, then we don't want him.  If it's mental, then there's a chance for greatness on our line.

Ok Mr. Goodell, Please explain the loopholes and nobody is accusing Grigson of Lying. Simply saying he is not coming out and saying, "Hey, were gonna sign this guy and that guy and everybody else we can talk into coming here". BTW, there are no loopholes to the 89% rule. It's pretty clear cut.
No you're right, he cannot do that. It's not sound GM mechanics. It's like playing cards but there is always ways around the language, just ask the NO Saints.

Sincerely,

Mr. Goodell

Don't think we will get Levitre or Bryd.. Bills have enough cap room to sign their probowlers..

Cary Williams is expecting 8-10mil/ year.. No thanks..

I like Slauson and Vasquez... Justice ranked higher than Long this year...

Goldson.. yes.. one draft site I saw had the niners grabbing Phillip Thomas from Fresno State a Safety and letting Goldson go..

love the Spenser pick...

Chargers may have enough to keep Barnes..

Ravens will keep Kruger and Jones is a RFA

Can't wait to see what Grigs does

Go Colts

Don't think we will get Levitre or Bryd.. Bills have enough cap room to sign their probowlers..Cary Williams is expecting 8-10mil/ year.. No thanks..I like Slauson and Vasquez... Justice ranked higher than Long this year...Goldson.. yes.. one draft site I saw had the niners grabbing Phillip Thomas from Fresno State a Safety and letting Goldson go..love the Spenser pick...Chargers may have enough to keep Barnes..Ravens will keep Kruger and Jones is a RFACan't wait to see what Grigs doesGo Colts

Cary Williams wants 8-10 per? As the late great rick james said "cocaine is a heckuva drug"

A very, very rare disagreement with my friend, Balzer....

We all know Grigson has to spend the money,  at least 89%.    I think all he's saying is for fans who are targeting the popular Big Name Targets...     Long, Wallace,  Bowe....    the guys who will want $10+ Mill a year....   those guys he's most likely not going to be interested in.    He's interested in the guy's he can buy for $5-$8 Mill per year.   He can buy a fair number of those guys...  4-5 of them.

I don't think this is smoke at all.   He knows there's a part of the base that when he signs a certain player, the fan will say.... "Who's that guy?   Never heard of him!   I want some big name that I know"    I think Grigson is trying to prepare some fans for a different approach to Free Agency.

That's my read of it....

A very, very rare disagreement with my friend, Balzer....

We all know Grigson has to spend the money,  at least 89%.    I think all he's saying is for fans who are targeting the popular Big Name Targets...     Long, Wallace,  Bowe....    the guys who will want $10+ Mill a year....   those guys he's most likely not going to be interested in.    He's interested in the guy's he can buy for $5-$8 Mill per year.   He can buy a fair number of those guys...  4-5 of them.

I don't think this is smoke at all.   He knows there's a part of the base that when he signs a certain player, the fan will say.... "Who's that guy?   Never heard of him!   I want some big name that I know"    I think Grigson is trying to prepare some fans for a different approach to Free Agency.

That's my read of it....

No no, we agree! I was just saying that Grigson isn't telling people what they want to hear. He's not saying that he's going to go out and sign every big name free agent on the market. He is just what I call media speaking. I have told people repeatably that we are not gonna go out sign Wallace/Bowe/ or whatever big name receiver to a 50 or 60 million dollar contract because we just don't need to.

I think the O-lineman in the 5 or 6 million dollar range are going to be on our radar and will be the focus. Then he will add to some key defensive area's we need to upgrade but won't be breaking the bank on any of them. So I think we agree on what were saying.

From that section I am reading a couple things.

Grigson is going to rely on his scouting department and grab players from every league and scout players from every college.

Grigson isn't going to go all Dan Snyder on everyone and start throwing money around stupidly. He is probably going to sign some low key players, and take chance on some injury prone players. Low risk, high reward type guys.

I like his formula, I am certainly glad that he is managing my team.

Nice i think Butler/Powers will both come cheaper than everyone thinks... with some bigger names possibly hitting the market Powers' injury history will not allow him to command much. Butler was on the street to start the year he made some plays but commanding anything mid to top dollar though... no way.

I say wait a few days after FA starts and throw an offer at Freeney let him decide. 

I would write a blank check for Levitre. he wants to test the market

If Polian was here he would just give it to Powers and then release a statement saying we need to pay our own.

I'm going to cut and paste a section of a story in the last few days from the Indy Star....

Some of this is the writer....   but you'll be able to spot the Grigson quotes....    I think you'll find them interesting and revealing....

Unlike last offseason, Grigson has the resources to do some serious shopping. He'll have about $46 million in cap space when the new league year begins in two months, although that figure doesn't take into account signing draft picks or re-signing his veterans such as punter Pat McAfee, cornerback Jerraud Powers and defensive end Fili Moala.

Just because he has financial flexibility, though, doesn't mean Grigson will go on a buying binge.

"I'm not going to make a splash signing somebody or try to blow money over here just because we might have it," he said during the season. "I've never been raised that way.

"Everyone keeps saying you're going to have all this money ... and it's going to be nice because I barely had any to work with this year. Part of my strength as a general manager is my background in the scouting department, and the staff I have is excellent. If I watch film on 10 guys and really like one guy, then I have to go get him."

I think Grigson has it right.

You go after the one or two or three guys you really want but you don't need to force the issue and overpay long-term for someone who isn't worth it.  Worse case scenario if you strike out is that you re-sign some of your key cogs (Patty Mac, Moala, etc.) to front-loaded deals and free up a bunch of space next year.  Keep the guaranteed money on those early so you can cut-and-run later if you need to with no penalty.

I hope we don't do what the Pacers did this year with their cap space; they gave a bunch of contract extensions over 4-5 years and, barring trades, are 'stuck' with the same lineup for the next couple years (guaranteed contracts change the dynamic some, but the point remains).  They have no flexibility if it doesn't pan out.

And LOL at Polian being the master of the cap.

On the topic of the cap and how much we will spend this year, you may want to even think one more year ahead, as I am sure Grigson is. He can go out and spend money comfortably if he finds players he wants and not worry too much about cap room next year in 2014. Why, because next year the cap is going to be going up for the first time since the new CBA due to new television deals which will be signed. Do not know how much it will rise, projections are all over the place, but if you look at how much ESPN paid for College Football rights, and then take that to the most popular sport in the US, the NFL, and I think the colts will again have some nice cap room even after this year. I still prefer a smart approach to it. I can't count a team that has gotten better due to free agency only. Redskins and Eagles are perfect examples. What I can say is teams who use FA wisely and have cap room to use each year if situations arise always due well.

I think Grigson works on the trenches for us, as least this is my hope. Regardless, just thought it may be important to just think about what is possibly already going through his mind. When he makes this year's decisions, you have to always be looking ahead. Like chess!

I think Grigson has it right.

You go after the one or two or three guys you really want but you don't need to force the issue and overpay long-term for someone who isn't worth it.  Worse case scenario if you strike out is that you re-sign some of your key cogs (Patty Mac, Moala, etc.) to front-loaded deals and free up a bunch of space next year.  Keep the guaranteed money on those early so you can cut-and-run later if you need to with no penalty.

I hope we don't do what the Pacers did this year with their cap space; they gave a bunch of contract extensions over 4-5 years and, barring trades, are 'stuck' with the same lineup for the next couple years (guaranteed contracts change the dynamic some, but the point remains).  They have no flexibility if it doesn't pan out.

And LOL at Polian being the master of the cap.

You can LOL at it all you want but he was.  He knew how to mange the cap to make the moves he wanted to make and didn't get caught in Salary Cap heck and unable to re-sign someone he wanted or had to release someone because they were out of money. 

People can disagree with who he gave the money too or how much money he gave to some players but that isn't what I was talking about. 

As for the top part I agree.  Like you said though it is very hard to compare NBA contracts to NFL contracts because one is guaranteed but one isn't.  I don't think Grigson is going to rush out and sign a bunch of players because he has money to spend he's going to sign guys that he likes and if he can't get them for what he thinks they are worth he'll go in another direction.  He proved that last year when he didn't over pay for Garcon and re-signed Reggie Wayne. 

My free agent wish list:

I'm not a fan of Cary Williams... he got smoked early and often against Denver and he committed some dumb penalties. PFF has him rated very low, but they don't have Lewis rated very high either and I do like him... I would target Greg Toler or Chris Houston at corner...

I love the idea of adding Kruger and Goldson to our Defense!

I would like to get Beatty or Vollmer at T

There are a ton of really good guards in FA I think we have to get two of them.... I would like to target Vasquez and either Levitre or Thomas from NE, but there are like 7 or 8 younger talented guards who might leave their teams this year (lucky for us)

Unless Pagano knows something about Kruger which would stop him from wanting Paul on our team, he'll be a Colt.

Even with his value increasing, he's coming much cheaper than Freeney. He's just now hitting his prime. And, he's familiar with Pagano and the system so there's no issues with schematic fit. He also fills a crucial need for us.

I don't think Baltimore can afford him, as they don't have much room and must resign Ellerbe (or else they'd be losing both of their inside 'backers next year). Oh yeah, and Flacco's up for a long term deal. He might've earned himself an extra dollar or two this postseason ;)

Unless Pagano knows something about Kruger which would stop him from wanting Paul on our team, he'll be a Colt.

Even with his value increasing, he's coming much cheaper than Freeney. He's just now hitting his prime. And, he's familiar with Pagano and the system so there's no issues with schematic fit. He also fills a crucial need for us.

I don't think Baltimore can afford him, as they don't have much room and must resign Ellerbe (or else they'd be losing both of their inside 'backers next year). Oh yeah, and Flacco's up for a long term deal. He might've earned himself an extra dollar or two this postseason ;)

That's the thing about any Ravens we might want to bring in Pagano is going to know if they are worth it or not or at the very least hat we can probably expect from them.  Same goes for Grigson and any Eagles that might interest us. 

I think Kruger is a guy to watch.  He clearly fits a need the Colts have and Pagano should know if this season was the next step in his progression or just a one time type of season. 

I also agree with that I don't think the Ravens are going to be able to keep him.  It's going to take most of the money they have just to keep Flacco and unless he just like throws 10 picks next week there is no way they can let him leave. 

Cap is a figure. So is the percent that is required to be spent on the roster. What is flexible is how the front office writes the paper.

In any season, there are new contracts, final years, FA, RFA, and contracts in the middle of their time line. Teams can push their spending towards a "fiscal cliff" (Redskins, and the Colts were heading there...), or they can pay the min....aka the Cards.

Point is that Ryan can choose to pass on big name FA's this season if he sees better opportunities next year and spend it on extending contracts a year early to some of our players that proved themselves this season. He basically spent very little last off season and we won 11 games. To think that he is suddenly going to spend all that savings this offseason on FA's doesn't hold water for me. I say he spends some wisely, adjusts some contracts and barely gets over the required expenditure line, and waits for the right player to come available early in the season. Just a guess, however.