Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN fires Rob Parker.

Balzer40

I still laugh at him actually saying cornball brother.

ESPN probably knew full well what he was going to say because that is the kind of crap they encourage from the show First Take. Skip Bayless has made a career out of what ESPN wants him to do and that is say crazy things just to rile up the base. It reminds me of some political talk show hosts that just says crap because it knows it will get ratings and make a ton of money.

What this guy said was ignorant and stereotypes his race, but ESPN acting uptight about it is laughable.

Yet Stephen A gets to keep his job .... amazing populairty firing.

If anyone needs to lose his job on that show it's not him.  He is somewhat grounded.  Its just his reactions that are over the top.  My son and I were watching it yesterday morning and he said "hey dad!  Thats the voice for Foghorn Leghorn"  I almost lost it when he said that. 

Like everyone has said Bayless is about as far away from reality as the aforementioned Foghorn Leghorn.  I know he can't possibly believe half the stuff he says.  I can't believe this guy actually writes.

Rob Parker wanted his 15 seconds of fame, he got hits (which is what he wanted) and the unexpected result for him was that he now looks like the cornball without a job!

As an African-American, I didn't find what he said offensive at all and actually...funny because most of the black population feels the same way he does about RG3.  Should he have said it on ESPN?  Ehh, no.  On BET, yes!  Nothing against RG3.

By cornball brother did he me like Carlton Banks from fresh prince?

or Steve Urkel, just trying to get a point of reference? 

As an African-American, I didn't find what he said offensive at all and actually...funny because most of the black population feels the same way he does about RG3. Should he have said it on ESPN? Ehh, no. On BET, yes! Nothing against RG3.

Can you really say most agree w Parker? The opinions, articles and comments from others I heard disagreed.

Probably the truth lies somewhere in between but saying "most" agree Is more likely very inaccurate.

I just don't understand Rob Parker's line of thinking. Are all African-Americans supposed to be from the inner city, marry with in the race, and what ever stereotype RP can think of? Why does he think all black people should be the same? ( I'm sure he would deny he thinks this way but his comments say the contrary ) I'm not sure how to say this but it's like he's racist about his own race, in a way.

Can you really say most agree w Parker? The opinions, articles and comments from others I heard disagreed. Probably the truth lies somewhere in between but saying "most" agree Is more likely very inaccurate.

I mean of course an article or comment is not going to agree with what was said because they are not in black community hearing what people are saying.  But if you were to go to an inner-city community and ask them if RG3 is a cornball brother, you would get 9 yes's out of 10.  And I am using the predominantly black inner-city that I reside in.  

This is a conversation that will come down to race which can get touchy, but I will tell you, RG3 is a cornball brother. LOL Nothing wrong with it, but he is.  If it helps you, he is in the same boat as Wayne Brady and Carlton Banks.  

I just don't understand Rob Parker's line of thinking. Are all African-Americans supposed to be from the inner city, marry with in the race, and what ever stereotype RP can think of? Why does he think all black people should be the same? ( I'm sure he would deny he thinks this way but his comments say the contrary ) I'm not sure how to say this but it's like he's racist about his own race, in a way.

I know, right? Is it a bad thing for people to seek different directions and not adhere to stereotypes? Not getting this guy's line of thinking, either. Or anyone who uses that term.

Wow....

This is a weird thread....

First...    I don't think ESPN had a choice about firing him.   It was bad enough he said the remarks he said,  what made it worse was that he then went on his twitter account and defended the comments and belittled everyone who disagreed with him.  

The only thing worse than being stupid, is doubling-down on being stupid.    ESPN had to drop the hammer.

And, as someone who spent 25 years working in TV, most of it in sports, I can say confidently the producers had no idea that was coming.    I think the ESPN people were pretty horrified.    It's one thing to have Skip and Stephen A say crazy things, or things just to stir things up,  but Parker's comments were so far over the line it was ridiculous...    they were too far gone to be walked back.     He was Dead Man Walking.

Finally...   ESPN didn't make Musbuger apologize.   They apologized for him and said his comments went too far and were inappropriate.   There's a big difference.    If Brent himself has personally apologized,  I sure haven't seen it anywhere.    I would have noticed that.   I've worked with Brent.  (sorry for the name dropping)   I like him.   That would have caught my eye.   But as rebukes go,  this was very mild.   I suspect Brent knows he went too far...   but I suspect he got a laugh out of it.   At least, a little....

Late Add to my post directly above......

NOTE:   I just clicked the link that said producers did indeed know what was coming.  OMG!   I am stunned.  If I had been the producer (and that's what I was for 30 years)  I would have told him he was about to commit career suicide!    It took ESPN days to figure this out?   Perhaps they're more screwed up then I ever realized!    Holy Crap!   Whatever became of my once proud profession....   Sometimes it feels like it's a World Gone Mad!!   (sigh....)   

I mean of course an article or comment is not going to agree with what was said because they are not in black community hearing what people are saying.  But if you were to go to an inner-city community and ask them if RG3 is a cornball brother, you would get 9 yes's out of 10.  And I am using the predominantly black inner-city that I reside in.  

This is a conversation that will come down to race which can get touchy, but I will tell you, RG3 is a cornball brother. LOL Nothing wrong with it, but he is.  If it helps you, he is in the same boat as Wayne Brady and Carlton Banks.  

All this talk about Carlton Banks just made me have too

Late Add to my post directly above......

NOTE: I just clicked the link that said producers did indeed know what was coming. OMG! I am stunned. If I had been the producer (and that's what I was for 30 years) I would have told him he was about to commit career suicide! It took ESPN days to figure this out? Perhaps they're more screwed up then I ever realized! Holy Crap! Whatever became of my once proud profession.... Sometimes it feels like it's a World Gone Mad!! (sigh....)

Not just the producers. The network re aired the piece in the best of first take at some point. Someone above the producers had to ok that going on the air again

They also made Brent Musburger apologize for calling a beauty queen good looking.....job well done espn

She might look good (havent seen her before) but when they were showing here as Brent was drooling I thought she looked like she was 40 and horrible!  He must have been having a free for all moment!

She might look good (havent seen her before) but when they were showing here as Brent was drooling I thought she looked like she was 40 and horrible!  He must have been having a free for all moment!

40 and horrible??.....may I suggest a new TV or perhaps some eye surgery?....

katherine-webb-dee-dee-bonner-530x312_zp

Nope, my 70" plasma works just fine ;)   That particular angle isn't bad other than it shows the inch of makeup shes wearing, but there were a few shots/angles where she looked horrible IMO!   And the photoshopped / airbrushed photos dont equaly beauty.

Nope, my 70" plasma works just fine ;)   That particular angle isn't bad other than it shows the inch of makeup shes wearing, but there were a few shots/angles where she looked horrible IMO!   And the photoshopped / airbrushed photos dont equaly beauty.

Okay you win....she should be a centerfold for Field and Stream. :rollseyes:

Someone explain to me the following: ESPN fires Parker yet it is OK to watch sickos chanting "God hates fags" on the news as religious freaks taunt military fuinderals for our fallen troops? Anyone have an answer??????? For those that are not familiar with  the inner workings of ESPN any employee that does not follow the rules there to the dotted I and crossed T is fired on the spot. They are a bunch of eleteist jerks. 

I know, right? Is it a bad thing for people to seek different directions and not adhere to stereotypes? Not getting this guy's line of thinking, either. Or anyone who uses that term.

One of best friends has been called an Oreo on multiple occasions by friends and family because he does not fall into the stereotype. The question he always asks is how dose one act white or black.

Someone explain to me the following: ESPN fires Parker yet it is OK to watch sickos chanting "God hates fags" on the news as religious freaks taunt military fuinderals for our fallen troops? Anyone have an answer??????? For those that are not familiar with the inner workings of ESPN any employee that does not follow the rules there to the dotted I and crossed T is fired on the spot. They are a bunch of eleteist jerks.

It is different when dealing with a company and groups picketing funerals and using words like that. When you are hired onto a company you agree to certain terms and conditions and your employeement there is dependent on meeting those terms and conditions. Yes, first amendement gives Parker the right to cal RG3 that because he feels he is acting white, but that does not mean that if the company feels what he said breaks those terms and conditions that they cannot fire him over what he said.<br /><br />

The first amendment gives you the right to say things, but does not mean that there will be no ramifications for what you say. ESPN has every right to fire him if they feel what he said goes against company policy.

When it comes to hate groups like Westboro or the KKK their speech is protected and they can spew their hate and they should be continued to be allowed to do that. Now if they work for a company and that company finds out they spew that hate then they have every right to fire them for what they say too.

For comparison sake please post pic of wife/partner

Someone explain to me the following: ESPN fires Parker yet it is OK to watch sickos chanting "God hates fags" on the news as religious freaks taunt military fuinderals for our fallen troops? Anyone have an answer??????? For those that are not familiar with the inner workings of ESPN any employee that does not follow the rules there to the dotted I and crossed T is fired on the spot. They are a bunch of eleteist jerks.

Not sure what your talking about? News covering religious extremist who boycott military Funerals does not in anyway mean that news channel agrees with the religious extremist, they cover it because it is crazy. How are the 2 the same in any way? Does FOX or CNN have people chanting the same craziness? Of course not.

This is a conversation that will come down to race which can get touchy, but I will tell you, RG3 is a talented, athletic, rich, intelligent, and likable cornball brother.

Fixed it for 'ya... ;)

LOL Nothing wrong with it, but he is.  If it helps you, he is in the same boat as Wayne Brady and Carlton Banks.  

:( I happen to like the W. Brady c. Banks boat. :(

She might look good (havent seen her before) but when they were showing here as Brent was drooling I thought she looked like she was 40 and horrible! He must have been having a free for all moment!

These folks happen to disagree with that position, as well they should!

http://www.examiner.com/article/katherine-webb-is-miss-alabama-usa-2012

And Miss alabama is completely fine with B. Musberger's commentary-

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20662850,00.html

Don't trust strange articles, they said the same thing about Don Imus after his *ic comment on the Rutgers women's basketball team as "That's some nappy-headed hos" and he wasn't going to be back the radio and he was going to retire to his ranch, but a year later he was right back on the radio...He'll be back on ESPN later this year after the forgetful Americans forget all about it, Liberals don't throw out their own. And he'd be down with the cause...