Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most Exciting Offseason!

unitaswestand

It sucked losing today.  But I must say that I am looking forward to this offseason probably more than any offseason I can remember.  If the Colts can win 11 games with so many holes, I can only imagine what they can do bringing in some free agents and another strong draft class.  I cannot WAIT for the draft and free agency to start.   My wishlist for the offseason is:

1) Four offensive lineman. Castonzo can be very good.  Reitz is servicable and could be a solid backup or maybe even a right tackle.  But the rest are not NFL starting material

2) Another cornerback.  Cassius Vaughn is just horrible and has been all season.  Seems everytime there is a big play against us, it was to the guy Vaughn was supposed to be covering.  Davis can be very good.  I haven't given up on Powers and I hope he is resigned.  But we need help.

3) Another disruptive OLB.  I love Dwight Freeney. One of my all time favorites.  But he had an off year.  I really hope he will take a pay cut and come back, but whether he does or not we need more help there. If he leaves I would like to see what Jerry Hughes could do playing fulltime. We had almost no pressure from the outside linebackers today.

4) Another D Lineman.  I think Redding, Chapman, and Moala could be pretty solid. Mookie and Revis are good backups.  But someone to push or replace Moala would be good.

5) Replace Bruce Arians.  I know I will catch flack for that.  But having watched the Steelers a great deal over the last 5 years and then the Colts this year, I am concerned his 60s Raider offense is going to do good, but never good enough.  I know the Steelers won a Super Bowl with him as OC.  But I think that had more to do with their talent.  After all, we were a couple plays away from winning a Super Bowl with Jim Caldwell and Clyde Christenson, but I don't think anyone would rate them as good.  I still would like to see more of a west coast and/or Patriot type offense.  What I am afraid of is 4-5 years of the Colts getting to the dance and then losing because it is too hot and cold.

6) Cut Cassius Vaughn, Melwelde Moore, Seth Olsen, and Mike McGlynn.

Last year will be hard to top in terms of exciting.  With that said this off-season should be fun too. 

Hey this year might not be over.  Wayne and Mathis have the Pro-Bowl and if any team but the Ravens goes to the Super Bowl from the AFC Luck will as well.  I know it's the Pro-Bowl but I would look forward to watching it with Luck there. 

Bring in Greg Jennings(or I would be cool with Danny Amendola, the guy is a Wes Welker clone) and sign at least two quality O-lineman..we need someone other than Reggie that can make the tough catches..

the drops by the wide receivers today was absolutely nerve-wracking.. having Avery on this team is kind of redundant imo because him and TY has basically the same skillset but TY is better and is a long-term answer..as for the defense I would like if they can use the draft to address the D since the draft is deeper on that side of the ball and I don't think we need anymore rookies on offense at the moment..

Bring in Greg Jennings and sign at least two quality O-lineman..we need someone other than Reggie that can make the tough catches..

the drops by the wide receivers today was absolutely nerve-wracking.. having Avery on this team is kind of redundant imo because him and TY has basically the same skillset but TY is better and is a long-term answer..as for the defense I would like if they can use the draft to address the D since the draft is deeper on that side of the ball and I don't think we need anymore rookies on offense at the moment..

I really doubt the Packers let Jennings get out of Green Bay.  I see a franchise tag in his future if they can't get a long term deal done. 

I really doubt the Packers let Jennings get out of Green Bay.  I see a franchise tag in his future if they can't get a long term deal done. 

The Packers already have a good stable of young receivers and I don't see them paying extra money to keep Jennings since they were doing great without him the whole season..their complete focus will be on the O-line..as it should..also I get the feeling that Jennings know his time is up in GB..

We need an upgrade at SS. Zibs just looked lost out there all season. I thought the 40 yard Ray Rice catch and run today showed Zibs taking the wrong angle, and not really hustling, which seemed about typical for him. I was amazed by the tenacity Fokuo showed to blow past Zibs and make the tackle before Rice could get into the endzone.

We need an upgrade at SS. Zibs just looked lost out there all season. I thought the 40 yard Ray Rice catch and run today showed Zibs taking the wrong angle, and not really hustling, which seemed about typical for him. I was amazed by the tenacity Fokuo showed to blow past Zibs and make the tackle before Rice could get into the endzone.

I like Lefeged over Zibs.. Neither are long term solutions. But Zibs seems lost constantly

Dude had some serious jets.

Agreed, we need a legitimate SS. Give me Goldson, William Moore, or Vaccaro in the draft.

I think Green Bay made it clear that they weren't looking to retain Jennings or Finley (the TE) after this season.

I agree this is going to be an eventful offseason for us colts fans.  Especially because we will have cap space and will be able to make some moves.  I was just over in the Draft/FA section and seeing the names people were slinging made me giddy with excitement. 

Here's hoping that this offseason is the most exciting in recent colts history.

I agree this is going to be an eventful offseason for us colts fans. Especially because we will have cap space and will be able to make some moves. I was just over in the Draft/FA section and seeing the names people were slinging made me giddy with excitement.

Here's hoping that this offseason is the most exciting in recent colts history.colts only have 3 draft picks this year. Rounds 1,3 & 4. IMO a WR as Wayne has 1 maybe 2 more yrs then possibly a G/T then someone for Freeny & Matthis to train

I'm super excited for this offseason as well.

I think that we have done a good job of showing Indy as a team on the rise, where players know that there are plenty of opportunities up for grabs. FA's for struggling teams will have a good long look at coming here.

The fact that FA's know that there is money to work with sure does help as well.

I'm pretty excited to see what Grigson does as well.

Zibs has been punched in the head one too many times. I cringed everytime he was on the field. Then when Ray Rice blew past him and he was barely jogging, I think I blew a blood vessel screaming at the TV. lol. Goodbye Zibs.

I wonder how Grigs will handle the Freeney project. I personally wouldn't bring him back (love him, but OLB is not his game)

Collie - probably gone.

Cassius Vaughn should be changing the oil on the bus, or bagging equipment for the team. He is horrendous and has no idea where the ball is. Ever. 

Super pumped for this offseason. Grigs will probably start it off with re-signing McAfee and any other player we need to retain. Then, he will probably start looking at some O-Line guys and a SS. All the while he will be preparing for the draft. I just hope we stay away from Mike Wallace. We should only look at WR if we want a big guy to work the middle of the field other than that I think we are set. We need to get another CB unless Pags thinks he can coach Butler up to his potential. I also wouldn't mind a little more depth at RB since we have no idea if Brown or Carter will be here next season. 

Maybe vaughn can be taught with Pagano on an offseason but for now, I would look for an alternate starter. It's amazing how a player at that position does not look back for the ball ever. That seems like a teachable item but maybe not, maybe that is an instinct thing.

If this team doesn't get at least 3 new starters on the offensive line for next year, they have failed their jobs as a front office. If Chapman can come in and anchor, you have fixed the dline by leaps and bounds. Can moala come back and be better cause he was showing ability but still nothing elite and we know that Redding is aging. Nevis is not an end and too small for NT. Need 2 olb's and a starting CB as well as serious upgrade at SS. you can't get all that in the draft or FA in one year.

Concentrate on the oline, keep luck upright and upgrade a couple spots on defense and Luck will give this team every chance to stay in games next season.

As for Avery, keep him unless he wants $$$. He is too I consistent to warrant big or moderate level money and TY is equal and quite he upside.

It sucked losing today.  But I must say that I am looking forward to this offseason probably more than any offseason I can remember.  If the Colts can win 11 games with so many holes, I can only imagine what they can do bringing in some free agents and another strong draft class.  I cannot WAIT for the draft and free agency to start.   My wishlist for the offseason is:

1) Four offensive lineman. Castonzo can be very good.  Reitz is servicable and could be a solid backup or maybe even a right tackle.  But the rest are not NFL starting material

2) Another cornerback.  Cassius Vaughn is just horrible and has been all season.  Seems everytime there is a big play against us, it was to the guy Vaughn was supposed to be covering.  Davis can be very good.  I haven't given up on Powers and I hope he is resigned.  But we need help.

3) Another disruptive OLB.  I love Dwight Freeney. One of my all time favorites.  But he had an off year.  I really hope he will take a pay cut and come back, but whether he does or not we need more help there. If he leaves I would like to see what Jerry Hughes could do playing fulltime. We had almost no pressure from the outside linebackers today.

4) Another D Lineman.  I think Redding, Chapman, and Moala could be pretty solid. Mookie and Revis are good backups.  But someone to push or replace Moala would be good.

5) Replace Bruce Arians.  I know I will catch flack for that.  But having watched the Steelers a great deal over the last 5 years and then the Colts this year, I am concerned his 60s Raider offense is going to do good, but never good enough.  I know the Steelers won a Super Bowl with him as OC.  But I think that had more to do with their talent.  After all, we were a couple plays away from winning a Super Bowl with Jim Caldwell and Clyde Christenson, but I don't think anyone would rate them as good.  I still would like to see more of a west coast and/or Patriot type offense.  What I am afraid of is 4-5 years of the Colts getting to the dance and then losing because it is too hot and cold.

1) I agree for the most part. Castanzo is a keeper and Reitz could be ok. We need at least 2 very good starters and preferably 3.

2) Vaughn is not very good and we need another good starter. Don't agree though on Powers. He may be an ok nickle corner, but thats it. Probably won't be back.

3) Time for Freeney to go. He is plain and simple, a liability. Not to mention at 33 next yr. he is not worth a new contract, even if it is at a low cap hit. It don't matter if he takes less money if he can't perform in the system.......and he can't.

4) I think were good on the D-line, but if you have the opportunity to make an upgrade or to add good depth, then you do it.

5) Im fine with replacing Arians if he leaves on his own for a HC job, but I would hope they don't promote CC. 

6) I think Vaughn is fine to keep as a backup, but thats it. I would cut Moore, and Olsen in a second. In fact, they both would have been cut long ago if it were up to me. McGlynn is fine to keep as a backup. He can play every spot on the line and even though he may not be real good at any of them, those guys are hard to find and should be kept. Much like Link.

I for one am definitely looking forward to this off-season. I hope we let go of Avery and Sign Dwayne Bowe so we can get some Height on this Team. I'm looking forward to discussing all the news/moves we make as this is my 1st FULL off-season on this Forum

It is going to be one very exiting offseason. Hoping we make Andy Levitre-g-Buffalo priority #1-a solid OT and cb next and draft Barrett Jones-Alabama

1-I too like Reitz, if he could just stay healthy, he could be a good player, but we can't count on that, keep him as back-up and see above
2-Vaughn and powers I would keep as back ups, but don't want to see either starting.Vaughn made some strides from where he was at in the begining of the season and just when he started coming around he had the Ravens game(burnt toast) but showed improvement. Keep as back up. Powers has been good up until this season, but can't stay healthy, still wouldn't mind given him another try as a back up.
3-Freeney is one of my all-time favorite Colts, but the only way he comes back is if he takes a huge pay-cut, and I still don't know if he is a fit in this system. Hughes just doesn't seem to get it, he's had his chances, just doesn't take advantage of the opportunity.
4-Moala was really starting to play good when he got hurt, Nevis too was playing good, Redding is solid, I like Tevaseau as a back-up, who knows what we've got with Chapman and Mckinney, but Mckinney is at least a decent back-up, if Chapman can be anywhere near what Grigson and Pagano think he can be, I too think we can be solid on the D-line. We will take anything extra we can get.
5- If Arians gets a head coaching offer, you can't blame him for taking it. Norv Turner sucks as a head coach, but has been a really good OC in the past, along with Wisinhunt and a few others available, but I'm afraid they may give it to Clyde Christenson by default.
6- I would keep Vaughn as a back-up, as well as Reitz. Start Shipley over Satele hands down or bring in someone else, but Satele is not the answer.I would have cut Olsen in training, camp as well as Moore. and Mcglynn. Shipley and Justice are the only two other than Castanzo, that I would even consider keeping from the O-line and Justice would be a back-up. Draft Barrett Jones sign Andy Levitre and get a solid OT.

okay so with all this money for cap space in the offseason i think we should deffinatly focus on some holes in the line and try for long to move costanzo over to rt and also go after the g from houston who really powered their run game. and then sign some front 7 players so were not just strictly focused on that in the draft. anthoney spencer is a name thrown around out there that would be a pick up for freeney which i really like. then we can go for avril or kruger. kruger rather than avril because he played in baltimore under pagano so he knows the system a little better and wouldnt have to adapt to the system. maybe go pick up welker and move hilton up to #2 so then we have all the weapons for andrew luck to run wild next year. 

draft wise with pick 1. jordan if he doesnt climb up the board and if he does draft since there is a potential steal in day three (which will be a sleeper) take marcus lattimore in the first since we dont have a 2nd because we have a rb in ballard who is good in 3rd situations and lattimore could be that 1000 yard rusher that takes pressure off of luck and it would add so much depth to rb slot. with the 3rd round pick that we get go for a&m lb or trade up to the second and draft a nice big physical nose tackle. 4th if we dont trade up get a lineman to add more depth and sit behind some big maulers we went and grabbed the offseason. and in the 6th not many people will agree with this but tyran mathieu who is very phisical and explosive on the ball and not to mention his special team skillset that he could bring and take some pressure off of hilton could be moved from cb to fs where his skill sets will employ the best of him and the colts would help him with his off the field problems with all the leaders they have on the field in the staff and office. 

any comments on it let me know because if this would happen i think we would have a legit shot at running the table next year

We need a OT,OG and a RB on offense and maybe a WR. On D we need a SS,CB two OLB and a NT or DE. Our biggest needs are O-line and CB they must be upgraded but I have to say that I haven't changed from my first opinion before the season started and thats the need of a 1- 2 punch from the running back position and I think we found the 2 punch in Ballard, now we just need to find the 1 punch. Steven Jackson is a FA and we could just keep Brown.

Girgs will have to find a big bunch of players. Fixing O-line is a must,  we also need some defensive players, and depth. A physical WR would be also nice.

Fortunately we're having a big pot full of dollars for new players. After this season Indianapolis is a very attractive destination for FAs. FO must use draft picks smart!

O-line then 'pass rush', and after that, I don't care. If we can get a decent pass rush, then perhaps our Corners will be good enough.

I can't even see Vaughan being good enough, Butler maybe but he's most certainly a Pagano Project. 

I agree though I'd like to see Oline as the priority, then look at CB/SS/OLB. Depends a lot on how much bang for buck we can get in FA. 

If the Colts can make a dominate Oline they could just run up the score and forced the opponents to try and catch up, just like old times. Especially if they use a similar passing attack as before.

And that same Plan is how Freeney's Famous "Sack Fumble" to seal the Victory for us came along :D

Just a thought about Vaughn. Would you agree he has the speed to stay with a top receiver? I think he does.

Seems like they do get him to turn his hips with a move but he seems to recover well but NEVER turns to defend the ball.

He didn`t turn when Boldins momentum was taking him out of bounds right by the sideline.

Why in the world would you try but fail to reach around Boldin for the ball rather than jump and turn and extend your arm.

The point is, Coach can get it thru his head I would bet. Study his opponents better, improve his techniques... we will see if they think he has hope.

We have the chance to add at least 3-4 Really good players thru FA and the draft, and a few other solid ones.

With a tougher schedule it will be a tough fight to make the playoffs, but we sure have high expectations.

I think Dwayne Bowe should be a top target for us. Avery was a great signing, but he just cannot hang on to the ball enough. I think Bowe would be a great signing, we need a big physical guy for the RZ. Move Avery to the 4th WR spot.

Do you guys see us letting Collie go? It makes me sad. He could be great.

I think Dwayne Bowe should be a top target for us. Avery was a great signing, but he just cannot hang on to the ball enough. I think Bowe would be a great signing, we need a big physical guy for the RZ. Move Avery to the 4th WR spot.

Do you guys see us letting Collie go? It makes me sad. He could be great.

Thing is I know Avery did drop a couple big plays this year but if SI.com is to be believed then he only dropped 7 balls this year, Hilton dropped 6 and Bowe dropped 5 through 13 games, What separates Bowe from Avery to me is height, I think yardage wise Avery can match anything Bowe can put up now RZ wise I dont think Avery will ever be the kind of target Bowe can be

If the Colts can make a dominate Oline they could just run up the score and forced the opponents to try and catch up, just like old times. Especially if they use a similar passing attack as before.

Spot on sir. Give yourself a big...er.....yourself clap!

A good O-line gets us the points on the board, and a decent pass rush finishes the games off.

Just a thought about Vaughn. Would you agree he has the speed to stay with a top receiver? I think he does.

Seems like they do get him to turn his hips with a move but he seems to recover well but NEVER turns to defend the ball.

He didn`t turn when Boldins momentum was taking him out of bounds right by the sideline.

Why in the world would you try but fail to reach around Boldin for the ball rather than jump and turn and extend your arm.

The point is, Coach can get it thru his head I would bet. Study his opponents better, improve his techniques... we will see if they think he has hope.

We have the chance to add at least 3-4 Really good players thru FA and the draft, and a few other solid ones.

With a tougher schedule it will be a tough fight to make the playoffs, but we sure have high expectations.

Good points, although I'm not sure the sched is much tougher. Maybe by a game, but we got Den and Sea at home?

Thing about Vaughn in myopinion is he has very little if any awareness of where he is at on the field the majority of times he never even made plays on the ball whether to bat it down or otherwise, he had a pick this year which was nice but I almost want to chalk it up to just dumb luck(But I wont because it was a nice pick 6 for sure) because of how bad he looked otherwise, he looked completely outmatched  the majority of the time and the only thing he could do to compensate for his lack of field awareness was draw the most penalties on the team AND the second most in the entire league with 13(5 of which were defensive pass interference), Dont get me wrong his is physically gifted in terms of speed but he looked like most of the year that he would not even make for respectable depth at Corner

http://www.nflpenalties.com/all-players.php?year=2012

If thats to be believed