Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shipley, Lefeged and Carter

TheJACKCOLT

Bruce Arians please start Shipley and Lefeged and give Carter more carries. I have been calling for Shipley and Lefeged to be starters. I believe Shipley has earned the chance to start by playing so well when called upon. The game Shipley played against the packers was much better (he really stood out) than ant thing Satele has done this season, much better. We need to know if he can play like this at a consistent level, not just for this season but, for the future, because I don't see Satele as the answer. I heard good things about Satele when we signed him but, I just have not seen it,We need to know if center is a need for the future, to go along with our QB. Give Shipley a chance and lets see if he is the answer, if he's not, we need to go get a center for next year.Satele is not it. Same thing with Zibs, he has been awful, always late arriving to the play, gets juke in th open field like nobody I've ever seen and no threat to force a turnover. Lefeged is more atheletic and has much better speed. He has been huge on special teams. He was a rookie last year and had his rookie moments but, I remember thinking this guy could end up being pretty good. He has a knack for turnovers and is a hitter, with speed. We know what Zibs can do and it hasn't been very good. Lets see if Lefeged can develop into a starting caliber player. I believe Lefeged will be a starting saftey in the NFL and I hope its with the Colts. He just needs to be given a chance. Like Shipley it benefits the Colts to find out if this guy is the saftey of the future or do we need to bring one in. Now is the time to see what this two guys can do, we have nothing to lose. I also would like to see Carter get more carries, the Colts were really high on this guy last year before the fumbles and he played good other than the fumbles. He did not have a fumble problem in college and if I remember right, he set some kind of school record for carries without a fumble. This guy has a rare size speed ratio 5'9" 238lbs with decent speed, he runs very hard and can move the pile.I'am still as high on this guy as I was last year and believe with more carries he will show what he can do.

I've been screaming this same thing (minus the Carter part) for weeks.

Start Shipley, not Satele.

Start Lefeged, not Zibs.

But give Ballard and Carter equal playing time since Brown is down. See what both of them have. Now's the chance. And keep the pass/run play selection even.

Also, instead of waiting for the pocket to collapse trying to make the big play down the field, Luck need to use his legs on those 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4 downs when nobody is open. He is deceivingly fast and covers a lot of ground quickly.

My one concern about Lefeged is he's small.

I think he's listed at 5'10" and 185. That would be OK for a corner. But for a safety? Very, very small.

Perhaps the staff is concerned he couldn't hold up play safety play after play, series after series, as well as also play special teams. Dunno? I'm just thinking out loud on that.... But #35 does appear to be most everywhere.....

My one concern about Lefeged is he's small.

I think he's listed at 5'10" and 185. That would be OK for a corner. But for a safety? Very, very small.

Perhaps the staff is concerned he couldn't hold up play safety play after play, series after series, as well as also play special teams. Dunno? I'm just thinking out loud on that.... But #35 does appear to be most everywhere.....

actually Lefeged is 6'0 205lbs..just to be accuarate which is normal size for a safety

I say start all 3. Satele lacks the power but he has the knowledge and passive blocker, Shipley is more of an attack blocker. Zbikowski can't tackle he has to have the most missed tackles on the team and takes poor angles and I liked Lefeged aggressiveness last year and made plays. and he continued his aggressive play on special teams this year i think its time to make that switch at SS. As for Carter im a believer, I like his style and how he ran last year, only had 4 carries last game but had a nice size carry load last year. And Ballard has shown no signs of being an effective back with sub par vision. So I'm all for the change of scenery at those 3 positions

But Will playing Joe hurt his ST prowess

not really because Jerry Hughes still takes on his special teams duties and he played well at both. Hey if you want more playing time you just have to make it happen at whatever the coaches want you to do. but if he does start to play safety full time they would probably put somebody like Butler out as the gunner on punt

actually Lefeged is 6'0 205lbs..just to be accuarate which is normal size for a safety

Thanks, Htown....

I just double-check (should have done that first!) and you're absolutely correct!

Don't know who I was mistaking him for? Brain cramp on my part.

6'0" and 205 is just fine....

I think I'm going to have to give myself a Big Fat.... :slaphead: :facepalm:

I went back and a couple of games from Sateles days in Oakland and watched the Denver vs Broncos game(2011) and noticed alot of the same things about Satele as I do here in Indy

1.Satele gets caught off balance on the snap of the ball sometimes when a Nose Tackle is playing right over him (tends to drop his head)

2.Satele has trouble changing directions when blocking (if a defender moves to one direction and then immediately to another Satele has trouble adjusting to that second move)

3.Satele lets his hands go outside the shoulder pads quite often

I think I mistook Satele always looking for someone to hit for someone with actual raw power because Satele does not have that raw power I thought he had

Going forward I dont think he is the long term answer not because of lack of technique down after down but more so because lack of raw power

How was the denver vs broncos game? Just joking with you I am sure you meant to type Oakland somewhere.

I went back and a couple of games from Sateles days in Oakland and watched the Denver vs Broncos game(2011) and noticed alot of the same things about Satele as I do here in Indy

1.Satele gets caught off balance on the snap of the ball sometimes when a Nose Tackle is playing right over him (tends to drop his head)

2.Satele has trouble changing directions when blocking (if a defender moves to one direction and then immediately to another Satele has trouble adjusting to that second move)

3.Satele lets his hands go outside the shoulder pads quite often

I think I mistook Satele always looking for someone to hit for someone with actual raw power because Satele does not have that raw power I thought he had

Going forward I dont think he is the long term answer not because of lack of technique down after down but more so because lack of raw power

I agree about Shipley and Lefeged but not for carter. Shipley needs to start at center or guard period

I'm not quite sure. I was excited to see what Ballard could do to start the season, but I think a lot of it was curiosity as something new - you know hoping we found our version of Terrell Davis ha....Although Ballard has only had limited touches, I've noticed he goes down pretty easy. Seeing Carter against the Jets, as limited as it was, kind of jolted my memory. Carter runs hard and gets that extra yard. That might be what we need right now. I still think Donald is our best RB and I love how he's been burning people on the outside, but I would like to see Carter get more carries while DB is out.

Iagree mjsimans Brown is our best back and all things considered I think he's playing as good as can be expected, his bouncing it to the outside has been our biggest run play this season and I do like Ballard but I feel like Carter gives us our best chance while Brown is out, I still believe Carter is our 2nd best back (nothing against Ballard) Carter has a unique skill set of more power and speed than Ballard. Before the fumbles started last season he looked real good, runs very hard and does not go down easy and can really move the pile and with this O-line that is what we need, if he gets his chances it will be Brown and Carter as our primary backs, not Brown and Ballard. I don't know if its because he was a Ploian draft choice or what but, the Colts were really high on this guy last year and his play was justifying that praise then, the fumbles started and he was a forgotten man but, he was not a fumble guy in college and he is like a lot of other guys, he just needs an opportunity to show what he can do. In the four carries he got Sunday he was dragging guys and moving the pile. he just needed more carries, if he doesn't get his chance while Brown is out I feel like the colts will just forget about him again, Carter like Shiplry and Lefeged will be starters somewhere in this league and I would hate to see that happen somewhere else.

Ballard is the best RB on this team,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,although he has not shown it behind this line.

which is saying something because Brown has put up some decent numbers when you factor in the line. You can't say that about Ballard. I like Ballard but Brown is still the best running back on this team and if we can ever put a line in front of him I think the chance to be pretty special and will show us why Polian used a first round pick on him. I do think Ballard is the perfect second back to Brown and if we can ever get our line fixed we could have a very good one two punch at running back.

Zib= 5'11" 200lbs

He ate at Bob Evans this morning...the biscuits and gravy helped....but not on Sunday...:) I ate a pizza and gained 4 pounds...of pure Free Safety muscle. :):strong: So strong now...ready for some...... :cake:

To topic: I loved Shipley's play, Lefeged has been dominant on special teams.....and with Brown out Ballard and Carter get carries....and Mewelde Moore needs to see some catches....he is a good 3rd down back....use em ALL! If Satele is not healty...Shipley....Zibby gets skilled again Lefeged...change is GOOD! :coltslogo: :coltslogo: :coltslogo:

I for one think the line is more solid with Shipley at center,think he solidifys the line much better to the point it helps his counterparts on either side of him,the running game then becomes much better.Ballard is going to be a very good back,very quick to the hole,Carter can be a monster short yardage.Bottom line develop the running game,doesnt bode well for apposing secondarys,because Luck will then pick them apart ,when they have to respect the run as well IMO :thmup:

Shipley starting is the most likely scenario of the 3. I think the coaching staff is just trying to give Satele a chance to heal up and keep his job. If he keeps performing the way he has all regular season, I can't see how they'd stick with him too much longer, especially the way Shipley played against Greenbay.

I think at this point, our defense is toast. Really doesn't matter who starts at safety if we keep losing 2-3 players to injury every game. No mathis, no freeney, no davis, no redding, no moala = no chance. Our best bet at winning any games is letting the offense loose and win a few shootouts. I think I've just accepted the fact that we're not deep enough to be competitive this year, without a fully healthy roster. Just sit back and enjoy watching this young team grow, is all we can do

Shipley starting is the most likely scenario of the 3. I think the coaching staff is just trying to give Satele a chance to heal up and keep his job. If he keeps performing the way he has all regular season, I can't see how they'd stick with him too much longer, especially the way Shipley played against Greenbay.

I think at this point, our defense is toast. Really doesn't matter who starts at safety if we keep losing 2-3 players to injury every game. No mathis, no freeney, no davis, no redding, no moala = no chance. Our best bet at winning any games is letting the offense loose and win a few shootouts. I think I've just accepted the fact that we're not deep enough to be competitive this year, without a fully healthy roster. Just sit back and enjoy watching this young team grow, is all we can do

Good post.

I would feel a lot better with a healthy Chuck Pagano too. Manusky has always been too conservative, and with this many players hurt....it is a 'big play' waiting to happen. We miss you Chuck! :thmup: Get better EVERY day Sir!!!

I said last year when we picked Shipley up....all he needed was a Saturday-esque chance. I hope for a healthy Satele, but I love Shipley's mean streak :rawr: ....Play back the Penn State tapes....

Maybe with Davis back we can hold them with the 12th Man......and the spirit of ChuckStrong!!!!!! :coltshelmet::coltshorse::coltsfb: