Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

is there a starter in the nfl that throws a worse deep ball than Luck

GoodLuck

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of quick points... neither is too big a deal... but wanted them on the record...

In his first year in college, Luck completed 56% of his passes, not 50%... he jumped to 70+% in both his 2nd and 3rd years.

Big jumps. I expect a good jump next year. And another good jump his 3rd year.

The other point is this.... while we're now picking apart Luck's flaws -- and he's got them -- let's not forget that a week ago some here were saying they wouldn't trade Luck for any other QB.

Welcome to the world of being a fan, where we are all Prisoners of the Moment. (Props to Jules, who I think first used this phrase after the loss to J'Ville)

We do good, and some here are talking playoffs. We do poorly and we're down in the dumps.

I've tried to preach patience and to not get too high with the wins or too low with the losses.

With such a young, inexperienced, and frankly, not very talented team, there are going to be some wild swings of performance.

I think someone on one thread today referred to it as the roller coaster ride.

Yup! That's it. So, buckle up, because it's going to be that way for the entire year....

Oh.... and suddenly, there's no more Bruce Arians will get a Head Coaching job next year talk.....

Just sayin.... :cool:

What I don't get is ppl trying to use he's a rookie phrase on this issue... being a rookie has nothing to do with throwing the ball deep accurately.

If you have trouble throwing the ball deep you will always have it... Luck is a hard nosed football player whose athletic... his best comparison is Alex smith

these threads drive me :nutz:

last week some of you were ready to name him League MVP....

now this... :sigh:

Clearly the Andrew Luck experiment has failed. He's had 5 games now to produce a SB win and...... nothing. Time to cut our losses and trade him for a pick or two, if we can even get that.

What I don't get is ppl trying to use he's a rookie phrase on this issue... being a rookie has nothing to do with throwing the ball deep accurately.

If you have trouble throwing the ball deep you will always have it... Luck is a hard nosed football player whose athletic... his best comparison is Alex smith

oh jesus.......

I seem to remember a very deep, beautiful spiral he threw last week to Avery, only to have Avery let it go between his hands. Maybe...maybe Luck overthrew that by a few inches.

Point being, anyone wishing to pass-on the idea that Luck cannot pass deep just simply isn't seeing the big picture. There are many reasons why our deep ball isn't working, and none of it has to do with an incapability for Luck to get it there.

Clearly the Andrew Luck experiment has failed. He's had 5 games now to produce a SB win and...... nothing. Time to cut our losses and trade him for a pick or two, if we can even get that.

It's not even today. He is failing despite all the talent around him. Look at our pro bowl o line and defense. Jesus, any QB could win with this team and just hand the ball off too.

/sarcasm

Yeah this is why Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees quit trying to improve after the questions about their ability to throw the deep ball coming out of college. There is simply nothing they could do about it. :facepalm:

Yeah this is why Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees quit trying to improve after the questions about their ability to throw the deep ball coming out of college. There is simply nothing they could do about it. :facepalm:

All three of those qbs you mentioned there was no wide critism of their arm... especially Rodgers. Luck is different in college he was widely known to have trouble hitting his receivers deep in stride and that's still the case here.

No ones saying he outright can't throw it cause he can sling a 40yder but anything above that and his accuracy takes a hit.

All three of those qbs you mentioned there was no wide critism of their arm... especially Rodgers. Luck is different in college he was widely known to have trouble hitting his receivers deep in stride and that's still the case here.

No ones saying he outright can't throw it cause he can sling a 40yder but anything above that and his accuracy takes a hit.

Can't speak for Brady or Rodgers but I know the knock on Manning coming out of college was questions about his arm strength especially when compared to Leaf that was the area Leaf had a "huge" advantage on him according to scouts.

Rodgers actually had terrible mechanics coming out of Cal coached by Jeff Tedford. He reworked his entire throwing motion while he was on the bench behind Favre. I watched every game Brees played in college in person and followed his entire draft process and his arm strength was a major concern. Manning also had arm strength questions which was why some thought Leaf would be better long term.

Luck also never had the opportunity to throw deep passes in college because his receiving corps was downright terrible at times. Anything can be corrected with time and effort.

Rodgers actually had terrible mechanics coming out of Cal coached by Jeff Tedford. He reworked his entire throwing motion while he was on the bench behind Favre. I watched every game Brees played in college in person and followed his entire draft process and his arm strength was a major concern. Manning also had arm strength questions which was why some thought Leaf would be better long term.

Luck also never had the opportunity to throw deep passes in college because his receiving corps was downright terrible at times. Anything can be corrected with time and effort.

Yep.

I might be wrong but I think when Rodgers was a rookie he was so shaky at times early in camp/pre-season that he was in early danger of falling to third on the depth chart.

I seem to remember a very deep, beautiful spiral he threw last week to Avery, only to have Avery let it go between his hands. Maybe...maybe Luck overthrew that by a few inches.

Point being, anyone wishing to pass-on the idea that Luck cannot pass deep just simply isn't seeing the big picture. There are many reasons why our deep ball isn't working, and none of it has to do with an incapability for Luck to get it there.

That's true there are many reasons but the biggest one is because luck is not very accurate with his deep balls.. I'm not sure how he can work on that.

Bad mechanics doesn't mean bad arm strength, I think the main issue is lucks accuracy throwing the deep ball and some of that does have to do with his arm strength... maybe he can lift some weights to improve that but only time will tell... as for now they should try and stick with the intermediate passes which is his strength.

This is like trying to remodel a home from the ground up and someone points out that the porch light is hanging crooked.

Ever watch "Holmes on Homes". He'd look up at that porch light, sigh resignedly, and say "it's all gotta come down". :P

Bad mechanics doesn't mean bad arm strength, I think the main issue is lucks accuracy throwing the deep ball and some of that does have to do with his arm strength... maybe he can lift some weights to improve that but only time will tell... as for now they should try and stick with the intermediate passes which is his strength.

You don't throw a 74 yard bomb against the wind on your pro day with bad arm strength. Look at the zip he puts on the ball when rolling to his left sometimes, pure strength. I think someone broke it down some time ago saying that he's not getting proper leg drive and he is lifting up his back foot when throwing deep, which causes under-throws. Which is a correctable mechanical issue. When he has time to set his feet and drive through his hips, he has been rifling it.

haha honestly I have no idea what the heck it's from. I would be very cautious about coming into contact with that guy though.

I don't know, I've always said if a man engulfed in flames attempted to shake my hand, I'd have to offer mine out of pure respect. Hopefully we're both wearing suits when said event occurs.

wish-you-were-here%25255B1%25255D.jpg

You don't throw a 74 yard bomb against the wind on your pro day with bad arm strength. Look at the zip he puts on the ball when rolling to his left sometimes, pure strength. I think someone broke it down some time ago saying that he's not getting proper leg drive and he is lifting up his back foot when throwing deep, which causes under-throws. Which is a correctable mechanical issue. When he has time to set his feet and drive through his hips, he has been rifling it.

Any qb can throw a 70yd bomb when he has no one in front of him or ppl blanketing the wr... you can go back to his college plays and see there were many plays where the receivers had to come back to the ball to make the catch.

Maybe it is mechanics but it looked a lot like arm strength in college and it has looked like that in the NFL as well

Any qb can throw a 70yd bomb when he has no one in front of him or ppl blanketing the wr... you can go back to his college plays and see there were many plays where the receivers had to come back to the ball to make the catch.

Maybe it is mechanics but it looked a lot like arm strength in college and it has looked like that in the NFL as well

Then why don't all QB's throw 70 yard bombs on their pro days?

Luck is one strong dude and he showed it today. Phil Simms is right comparing his physicality to Big Ben. Arians is right too though. Luck needs to dump some of those passes off and avoid some of those hits.

I don't worry about the long ball and I don't worry about Luck. I worry about our horrible run game and ability to stop the run. Those are the 2 things Pagano said we would do and we are nowhere near doing it.