Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Hughes last chance?

Playoffs2013

I agree with the OP in the sense that players always yearn for opportunities. When they come along, they need to take advantage of them. With Mathis down, Hughes needs to show he's developed and capitalize on the opportunity.

To whom much is given, much is expected!

With Mathis out, Hughes better get at least 2 sacks in 3 weeks, or this is his last year in Indy

What do you want from hughes he is basically a rookie has not gotten a lot of playing time he is sitting behind to of the all time best pass rushers, learning a new system he has improved so that means he's getting better give him a break

What about 3 in 4 weeks? How about if he gets none. What if he gets 6 as a backup? What if he gets 4 sacks on Brady and no one else?

High production obviously can help him keep a roster spot, but coaches can see if he's progressing without a lot of big plays. If he's progressing in a new system they will keep him. There's no one behind him or even opposite of him that will take his job right now. Even if they draft a top OlB prospect they will still keep Hughes for depth and competition.

Manusky said Justin Hickman would rotate in with Hughes in the Mathis role

which wont give either of them a great shot to establish themselves in the game if they are being taken out every other play or so, if we are ever going to figure out what we have in Hughes he needs to start

Jerry Hughes can't play. As long as Freeney or Mathis keep getting dinged, he'll keep getting chances this year. But it's obvious now at this point I think. When Freeney was out, Hughes got a ton of playing time and he's been invisible. I don't see it changing with Mathis out.

When Angerer comes back they should try Freeman on the outside. Mathis should still be out by then I think.

1.2 starts is a ton of playing time?

2.8 tackles and a sack in 2 starts is invisible?

OMG a Jerry Hughes fan?? It's like finding a unicorn.

I'm not rooting against Hughes. I hope he figures it out. It'll make not re-signing Freeney easier to take if Hughes shows he can play. The bottom-line is though that Jerry Hughes can't play. He was a badbutt on a really good TCU team but his skills haven't translated to the NFL...AT ALL! He's a bust who has done nothing to prove otherwise.

Also, starts are irrelevant if you get to play a lot. When Freeney went down, Hughes played a lot and he was completely invisible. He's been invisible ever since. I want the Jerry Hughes who played lights out in the preseason!

Jerry Hughes can't play. As long as Freeney or Mathis keep getting dinged, he'll keep getting chances this year. But it's obvious now at this point I think. When Freeney was out, Hughes got a ton of playing time and he's been invisible. I don't see it changing with Mathis out.

When Angerer comes back they should try Freeman on the outside. Mathis should still be out by then I think.

Did you see the game Hughes got pressure on rodgers several time forcing him to step up leading to on of Cory reddings sacks Give him a break

Did you see the game Hughes got pressure on rodgers several time forcing him to step up leading to on of Cory reddings sacks Give him a break

I know I saw it which is why I want to see Hughes play with Freeney and maybe see if he benefits from playing on the other side of Freeney more than he did playing on the other side of Mathis. I will say this one thing I have noticed about our defense unlike in years past is that when Freeney and Hughes or Mathis for that matter comes off the edge and gets some heat and the QB goes to step up in the pocket to avoid it there is someone there to get the sack. That's how that is supposed to work and it's something that has been missing in years past from our defense. It was the most noticeable in the second half of the Packers game and I hope we see it a lot more!

Hughes will prosper in these next 2-3 weeks i have noticed that he is much more effective when he lines up on the left side, and with Freeny and Redding getting double teamed this will allow him to free up and get to the QB. Im looking forward to Hughes having some multiple sack games in these next few weeks.

I'm not rooting against Hughes. I hope he figures it out. It'll make not re-signing Freeney easier to take if Hughes shows he can play. The bottom-line is though that Jerry Hughes can't play. He was a badbutt on a really good TCU team but his skills haven't translated to the NFL...AT ALL! He's a bust who has done nothing to prove otherwise.

Also, starts are irrelevant if you get to play a lot. When Freeney went down, Hughes played a lot and he was completely invisible. He's been invisible ever since. I want the Jerry Hughes who played lights out in the preseason!

He did not play lights out in preseason, and some of his better series' were against the 2nd stringers. I don't even rate him as a servicable backup.

I know I saw it which is why I want to see Hughes play with Freeney and maybe see if he benefits from playing on the other side of Freeney more than he did playing on the other side of Mathis. I will say this one thing I have noticed about our defense unlike in years past is that when Freeney and Hughes or Mathis for that matter comes off the edge and gets some heat and the QB goes to step up in the pocket to avoid it there is someone there to get the sack. That's how that is supposed to work and it's something that has been missing in years past from our defense. It was the most noticeable in the second half of the Packers game and I hope we see it a lot more!

That's how it's suppose to be outside force the qb to step up and the middle collapse the pocket leading to sacks hurries, an unaccurate balls, but in years past we had 265 lb dt which could not get push up the middle thus allowing qb to step up an elude freeney and Mathis but not we have 300+ pounders who have the str an girth to get push

He's already got one foot out the door. Doesn't have a big enough upper body to hang in the NFL. His trunk is ok but nothing else is. He is as good as river-bait, mark my words. If he has ANYTHING even close to a good game, come back to these comments and make me eat some nasty Wisconsin cheese flavored with your favorite crow recipe.

He did not play lights out in preseason, and some of his better series' were against the 2nd stringers. I don't even rate him as a servicable backup.

in other words your discounting the fact that we are in a new scheme and that he has 8 tackles(7 of those have been Solo Tackles and not assisted) and 1 sack in only 2 two starts and that its hard to get into the flow of the game being rotated in and out. by that thought process we might as well label Ballard a bum because he has awful stats 21 carries for 42 for a pathetic 2.0 ypc through 4 games

in other words your discounting the fact that we are in a new scheme and that he has 8 tackles(7 of those have been Solo Tackles and not assisted) and 1 sack in only 2 two starts and that its hard to get into the flow of the game being rotated in and out. by that thought process we might as well label Ballard a bum because he has awful stats 21 carries for 42 for a pathetic 2.0 ypc through 4 games

He is in his 3rd year, and done nothing of note. What has this got to do with Ballard? Yet again you create a worthless diversion. I don't think Hughes is worth a roster spot. Others do. Nothing wrong with that.

Hughes isn't going anywhere, this is freeneys last year and the colts don't even have depth st that position. Hughes is still better than half of the OLBs on the team.

There are 5 OLBs on the team, and two of them are largely untested in the NFL. It's pretty faint praise.

That's madness, Hughes can play.. the colts basically drafted Hughes and put him on a shelf.. Freeman is like ten pounds lighter and two inches shorter than Mathis... as an OLB? No thank you

I am surprised people still wanna bash him even though he got his first sack of the year, before Freeney got his.

Granted it is no measuring tool but nobody wants to give him the benefit of the doubt because he has been behind 2 HOFs and hasn't gotten opportunities like this.

I hope Hughes makes us all eat our words and actually becomes a worthy first round pick

He's not a Jerry Hughes fan, persay.

Unlike the Hughes bashers in this thread who probably haven't even taken any time whatsoever to actually watch Jerry Hughes play, Gavin is just utilizing a novel concept of looking at the situation objectively, and using tangible statistics to back up his assertion.

He's not a Jerry Hughes fan, persay.

Unlike the Hughes bashers in this thread who probably haven't even taken any time whatsoever to actually watch Jerry Hughes play, Gavin is just utilizing a novel concept of looking at the situation objectively, and using tangible statistics to back up his assertion.

So because people don't like him as a player, they haven't watched him? Or on the other hand, maybe they have and don't like him. Thought about that? Posters on here are good enough to speak for themselves.