Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

10 Question Marks @ Starting Positions for 2013

ztboiler

Disclaimer: For those that don't like forward looking threads or any talk of projections about future roster composition, please stop reading now and/or I'll look for your usual responses below about just letting this year play out first. Now, back to our story....

I am overwhelmingly optimistic about the progress of building the Monster so far. However, roughly half of our current starters are question marks going into 2013. I am defining a question mark as a free agent for 2013 or unproven as a starter - either precipitate potential change. In as much, I am reminded, amidst my optimism, of how far we have to go.

Most of these are pretty obvious, but some opinions will vary I'm sure, and I'm very curious about those:

Offense:

LG - Reitz is RFA. Looks like a long term piece, but totally up in the air right now. Would expect a 2nd round tender if he plays well and stays healthy the rest of the year.

RG - McGlynn is under contract for 2013 but is not the answer for 2013 and beyond - nice versatile back up so far.

RT - Justice is a Free Agent and uncertain performer. Early returns suggest he may be worthy of a multi-year deal to me. Either way, there is a chance he won't be on the team next year.

WR 2 - Avery is a Free Agent. Looks worthy of being brought back, but at what price? Will a WR hungry team want him more?

RB - All under contract, but we don't have a starting caliber RB on the team yet. Donald Brown is talented, and I expect him to be on the team in 2013 for sure, but I expect proactive moves at the RB position now that we have an off season to address it. I don't think DB hits holes the way they'd like an inside runner to hit them.

Defense:

DE/DT - Fili Moala is a Free Agent. He probably looks a lot like other available 5 techs that are Free Agents. I really like Moala this year, but this is a key decision for 2013 and beyond.

OLB - Freeney....everyone expects a new starter and they're probably right

CB - Powers decision. I hope he is back, but other teams are sure to like him too.

ILB - we need a starter not yet on the team, based on what we see so far. Freeman/Conner/Angerer under contract, but like RB I expect starting caliber moves to be made for competition given a full off season to do so.

SS - We don't have one yet. I liked the Zibi move at the time, and still do all things considered, but he can't be a starter in 2013.

Throw in nickel CB, and we really have 11 starting caliber personnel decisions to make (Davis is the only CB under contract for next year). 2-3 of them will be filled by draft picks.

Off season is going to be a lot of fun with key long term decisions, and I'm looking forward to it as much as I am the balance of 2012.

I wouldn't disagree with you on this. I think ER r going to be good enough at ILB though to be able to just leave it alone. Only one guy on the oline should be safe that's playing this year, the rest can and should be upgraded. Keep reitz if it's a financially good deal. Going to really need to know what we have for true 3-4 personnel on the dline in order to make a decision there as we have some possibilities but haven't seen them play yet.

As for the corners, can Powers stay healthy enough all year to get a nice contract, we surely can afford him with our cap space but if he stays healthy all year (contract year) it will make you wonder enough.

IMO, we truly need a strong experienced guard to replace on the rt side and a franchise RT for next year. We need to solve the NT spot, although that may reside on the team now already. We will have to address the SS spot and get a better nickel CB. If the NT is already on the team, a OLB will be 2nd priority to the RG.

We should be players in FA this next offseason so expect a better product next year. Never expected a whole lot this year. Would be nice to have more but it is hard to find quality starters for all spots in the competitive world of the NFL

I suppose a lot will depend on whose available as FAs, how high we are drafting but for the now I'd like to see Avery, Powers and Justice back. We need to address the o line and find at least a SS, CB and more than likely OLB. Don't think we can afford to spend a pick on a RB, and a FA could be expensive. I'd like to see how the running gage changed with better blocking up front.

We have plenty of cap space with which to re-sign our own guys and grab a couple-few free agents as well. So, yeah, I expect our team to look a little different next season. We don't have a lot of draft picks, pending any compensatories we might get, and I don't really expect us to get more than 1, if that (caveat being that, if we finish with a bad enough record, we could get an extra pick at the end of the 7th round). So we should be pretty active in free agency, not just for big name guys, but for secondary acquisitions as well.

As to the list above, based on the information we have right now in Week 4, which isn't a whole lot, I'd assume that Moala, Freeney, Justice and Avery all walk. Reitz will likely be tendered and stay here, at least for one year, unless he suffers another injury this season or just plain stinks. McGlynn will probably be back, but not as a starter. Powers is a priority re-signing, and I would actually like to see him have a new deal before the bye week is over.

Priority positions in free agency will likely be offensive line and safety, and sadly, that's been the case for two years now. But with a lot of freedom under the cap, and some cash savings this season due to the dead cap space, we should be able to make some acquisitions. I'd look for a guard in free agency, maybe a tackle as well, and a versatile safety to go alongside Bethea. Safety might not be as big an issue if Lefeged gets in the lineup and plays well. I've been a fan of his since last preseason, and maybe with Zbikowski not being anything special, Joe will get a chance to play in a real defense for a change.

I think we're fine at running back and inside linebacker. The backs we have need better line play, but we have a good complimentary setup with Brown and Ballard. Freeman and Conner have played well, and when Angerer gets back, he should cure some ills in coverage. I could see us signing a complimentary nickel backer, but it's not a real priority, I don't think.

Grigson will stick to his draft board, I'm sure, especially at the top of the draft. A stud right tackle or a playmaker at receiver won't get passed on, even for a player a position we need more help at. But in the third and fourth rounds, I'd expect us to purposely lean toward defense: tackle, corner, safety, linebacker.

There are also unanswered questions pertaining to Josh Chapman, Ben Ijalana, and other players who are injured or haven't gotten a real chance to perform yet.

Disclaimer: For those that don't like forward looking threads or any talk of projections about future roster composition, please stop reading now and/or I'll look for your usual responses below about just letting this year play out first. Now, back to our story....

I am overwhelmingly optimistic about the progress of building the Monster so far. However, roughly half of our current starters are question marks going into 2013. I am defining a question mark as a free agent for 2013 or unproven as a starter - either precipitate potential change. In as much, I am reminded, amidst my optimism, of how far we have to go.

Most of these are pretty obvious, but some opinions will vary I'm sure, and I'm very curious about those:

Offense:

LG - Reitz is RFA. Looks like a long term piece, but totally up in the air right now. Would expect a 2nd round tender if he plays well and stays healthy the rest of the year.

RG - McGlynn is under contract for 2013 but is not the answer for 2013 and beyond - nice versatile back up so far.

RT - Justice is a Free Agent and uncertain performer. Early returns suggest he may be worthy of a multi-year deal to me. Either way, there is a chance he won't be on the team next year.

WR 2 - Avery is a Free Agent. Looks worthy of being brought back, but at what price? Will a WR hungry team want him more?

RB - All under contract, but we don't have a starting caliber RB on the team yet. Donald Brown is talented, and I expect him to be on the team in 2013 for sure, but I expect proactive moves at the RB position now that we have an off season to address it. I don't think DB hits holes the way they'd like an inside runner to hit them.

Defense:

DE/DT - Fili Moala is a Free Agent. He probably looks a lot like other available 5 techs that are Free Agents. I really like Moala this year, but this is a key decision for 2013 and beyond.

CB - Powers decision. I hope he is back, but other teams are sure to like him too.

ILB - we need a starter not yet on the team, based on what we see so far. Freeman/Conner/Angerer under contract, but like RB I expect starting caliber moves to be made for competition given a full off season to do so.

SS - We don't have one yet. I liked the Zibi move at the time, and still do all things considered, but he can't be a starter in 2013.

Throw in nickel CB, and we really have 11 starting caliber personnel decisions to make (Davis is the only CB under contract for next year). 2-3 of them will be filled by draft picks.

Off season is going to be a lot of fun with key long term decisions, and I'm looking forward to it as much as I am the balance of 2012.

GREAT THREAD ZT!!! :)

LG - Reitz - his value can only be established with 2 good years, IMO. I would say a 3rd round tender should lock him up.

RG - McGlynn - he will be like a Mike Pollak, not great at anything but good at a few things and like Linkenbach, his versatility will keep him a roster spot at least till 2013.

LG/RG - There will definitely be one signing in free agency for the OG position

RT - Justice - he wont be on the team next year. Team will give Ben Ijalana one last shot and draft an RT in the draft.

WR2 - Avery - he is definitely worth a 3 year deal since the mileage on him is little if he stays healthy all year. However, the equation does change if we land a guy like Mike Wallace. I'd say a Jordy Nelson type of deal with 3 yrs. $13-14 mil. should seal the deal.

RB - We will draft another RB to replace Donald Brown. Grigson's allegiance to Vick Ballard will get strengthened, IMO

Defense:

DE/DT - Fili Moala - He will probably get Cory Redding money, IMO as a 3-4 DE and that is what we should give him.

OLB - Freeney....he goes back to a 4-3 base team and this is the last year he is a Colt, IMO

CB - Powers - He should be our No.1 priority in the offseason

ILB - Freeman - Freeman gets a 3 or 4 year deal like the Colts did with Brackett who was an UDFA to sign him up for the long term health of the D. He is the No.2 priority after Powers to me

SS - Zbikowski is gone, we are drafting a new strong safety or signing a new one.

My priorities for Colts players to be re-signed, in order:

1. Jerraud Powers 2. Jerrell Freeman 3. Donnie Avery 4. Joe Reitz 5. Fili Moala

Nickel CB or another starting CB - I think the Colts go after Cary Williams of Ravens or Keenan Lewis of Steelers

We have plenty of cap space with which to re-sign our own guys and grab a couple-few free agents as well. So, yeah, I expect our team to look a little different next season. We don't have a lot of draft picks, pending any compensatories we might get, and I don't really expect us to get more than 1, if that (caveat being that, if we finish with a bad enough record, we could get an extra pick at the end of the 7th round). So we should be pretty active in free agency, not just for big name guys, but for secondary acquisitions as well.

As to the list above, based on the information we have right now in Week 4, which isn't a whole lot, I'd assume that Moala, Freeney, Justice and Avery all walk. Reitz will likely be tendered and stay here, at least for one year, unless he suffers another injury this season or just plain stinks. McGlynn will probably be back, but not as a starter. Powers is a priority re-signing, and I would actually like to see him have a new deal before the bye week is over.

Priority positions in free agency will likely be offensive line and safety, and sadly, that's been the case for two years now. But with a lot of freedom under the cap, and some cash savings this season due to the dead cap space, we should be able to make some acquisitions. I'd look for a guard in free agency, maybe a tackle as well, and a versatile safety to go alongside Bethea. Safety might not be as big an issue if Lefeged gets in the lineup and plays well. I've been a fan of his since last preseason, and maybe with Zbikowski not being anything special, Joe will get a chance to play in a real defense for a change.

I think we're fine at running back and inside linebacker. The backs we have need better line play, but we have a good complimentary setup with Brown and Ballard. Freeman and Conner have played well, and when Angerer gets back, he should cure some ills in coverage. I could see us signing a complimentary nickel backer, but it's not a real priority, I don't think.

Grigson will stick to his draft board, I'm sure, especially at the top of the draft. A stud right tackle or a playmaker at receiver won't get passed on, even for a player a position we need more help at. But in the third and fourth rounds, I'd expect us to purposely lean toward defense: tackle, corner, safety, linebacker.

There are also unanswered questions pertaining to Josh Chapman, Ben Ijalana, and other players who are injured or haven't gotten a real chance to perform yet.

Lots will change, pending results over the next 13 weeks. I think you are underestimating how proactive we'll be at the RB and ILB spots. Not saying it will be with big-time FA signings, nor do I expect to draft a RB (unless it fits the board), but I don't think this staff will like Donald Brown as a feature back well enough to stand pat with he and Ballard as the 1-2. I think an ILB like Ellerbe, someone with more reps in this type of system, will be on the team next year.

I completely disagree with your ILB comment. How do we need MORE competition at ILB??

Hmmm....who do you see as so very established from the ILB group? I like their potential, and 2 of them may emerge as really good 3-4 backers, but ILB is one of the few position groups on the team where everyone seems to like the raw material, but none of them have a foothold until they gain or lose their positions as the year unfolds.

Lots will change, pending results over the next 13 weeks. I think you are underestimating how proactive we'll be at the RB and ILB spots. Not saying it will be with big-time FA signings, nor do I expect to draft a RB (unless it fits the board), but I don't think this staff will like Donald Brown as a feature back well enough to stand pat with he and Ballard as the 1-2. I think an ILB like Ellerbe, someone with more reps in this type of system, will be on the team next year.

I don't think Donald Brown is a feature back. I thin he and Ballard can form a really good tandem with good line play. And I don't think having a feature back is a necessity or even a priority for a team that's trying to contend. If you have one, good. If you don't, it's not really that big of a deal. Like you said, considering that all our backs are still under contract next season, I don't see it as a position of need. I don't think we or anyone else are going to spend any money on a free agent back next offseason, especially not from another team. And even if the board falls in a way that puts a back as BPA, it would make more sense to trade down and get an extra pick than it would to draft a back. And the backs that might be available in secondary free agency aren't really going to be upgrades over what we have now. I would assume any acquisitions would be of the Mewelde Moore variety, not impacting our 1-2 rotation.

At ILB, I'm sold on the rotation we have, assuming Angerer is what we expect him to be when he comes back. If a stud is available in the third round, I could see him becoming a part of the rotation. But I think our weakness at linebacker is strictly in pass coverage. Freeman is a stud; he's all over the field and he's a sound tackler. Conner is a little slower to the ball, but he also packs a punch. Angerer is better in coverage, and he gets around the ball. Fokou is a good reserve backer, and so is Harvey. You can get an inside backer in the middle of the draft; I wouldn't be opposed to that. I just don't see it as a position of need, assuming health. I felt differently two months ago, by the way. But the move for Fokou and Freeman's emergence have changed a lot.

Here's Kenny Vaccaro (Guy who I posted the Pic of Above) in Action. Enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScLY4PTo83I

Not trying to be negative because I like the hilights, but does anybody ever have lowlight videos on guys? Everybody make s few good plays, but what is equally important is how many bad plays a guy has.

Just asking in general. Not just on this guy.

Hmmm....who do you see as so very established from the ILB group? I like their potential, and 2 of them may emerge as really good 3-4 backers, but ILB is one of the few position groups on the team where everyone seems to like the raw material, but none of them have a foothold until they gain or lose their positions as the year unfolds.

Freeman, Conner, Angerer, and Fokou is a pretty decent foursome for the ILB position. There are a lot of other positions that we don't have nearly the depth at. ILB, IMO, isn't going to be a big issue.

I don't think Donald Brown is a feature back. I thin he and Ballard can form a really good tandem with good line play. And I don't think having a feature back is a necessity or even a priority for a team that's trying to contend. If you have one, good. If you don't, it's not really that big of a deal. Like you said, considering that all our backs are still under contract next season, I don't see it as a position of need. I don't think we or anyone else are going to spend any money on a free agent back next offseason, especially not from another team. And even if the board falls in a way that puts a back as BPA, it would make more sense to trade down and get an extra pick than it would to draft a back. And the backs that might be available in secondary free agency aren't really going to be upgrades over what we have now. I would assume any acquisitions would be of the Mewelde Moore variety, not impacting our 1-2 rotation.

At ILB, I'm sold on the rotation we have, assuming Angerer is what we expect him to be when he comes back. If a stud is available in the third round, I could see him becoming a part of the rotation. But I think our weakness at linebacker is strictly in pass coverage. Freeman is a stud; he's all over the field and he's a sound tackler. Conner is a little slower to the ball, but he also packs a punch. Angerer is better in coverage, and he gets around the ball. Fokou is a good reserve backer, and so is Harvey. You can get an inside backer in the middle of the draft; I wouldn't be opposed to that. I just don't see it as a position of need, assuming health. I felt differently two months ago, by the way. But the move for Fokou and Freeman's emergence have changed a lot.

Completely agree.

I also agree with this. Given the limited number of picks we have next year, it will be increasingly hard to justify picking yet another RB, particularly since both of our backs are more than serviceable.

And as Superman was eluding to, it's not like any of the recent SB champions have been sporting elite running backs. If GB can win with Brandon freakin' Jackson, we can surely win with DB and Ballard.

I'd love to have a back like Marshawn Lynch, or Willis Mcgahee to go along with Donald Brown. That would be a good tandem, we'll have to see as the 2012 season plays out but I don't feel like Ballard will pan out.

Not trying to be negative because I like the hilights, but does anybody ever have lowlight videos on guys? Everybody make s few good plays, but what is equally important is how many bad plays a guy has.

All I can tell you is watch a Texas game. All his plays are Highlights, dude is a BEAST

All I can tell you is watch a Texas game. All his plays are Highlights, dude is a BEAST

TK....

I think the problem with your man-crush on Vaccaro is not that it's not well placed.... it's that his stock is soaring. I don't see us taking a Safety in the first round, and if we pick another position, we likely won't have another pick until the 3rd round and he won't be available there.

Even on the chance that we trade down and get a 2nd round pick, the likelihood of him being there when our 2nd round pick comes around is also small.... So, I just don't see Vaccarro in our future. Seems like a very good player, but I'm not sure he's the player for the Colts...

Just my hunch....

Colts UFA List (According to Spotrac.com) in no particular order

1.Donnie Avery(resign, has speed, can find holes to get open, has shown decent hands to this point, dont expect big #'s consistently but he can be a threat going forward)

2.Darius Butler(hasn't even played a game for us so no opinion on him through three games

3.Moise Fokou(resign) right now outside of Harvey and Conner we dont have a heavy hitting run stuffer at Linebacker

4.Dwight Freeney(release, Freeney could potentially learn this new system and be a force in a couple years but he is going to be 33 at the end of the regular season)

5.Antonio Johnson(resign he isn't great but he is serviceable, does not demand alot of double teams but he does beat his man consistently, willing to part with him if Baptiste shows well in a rotation)

6.Winston Justice(he played a little better last week and may warrant consideration going forward but is very inconsistent especially against speed rushers, Id like to see him be more physical although same can be said for everyone else on the O Line when it comes to physicality

7.Justin King(not a long term solution, offers alot of speed which makes him intriguing but little to no cover instincts)

8.Fili Moala(resign)Has showed well so far and is a true 3-4 DE who could prove to be more impressive as he gets more and more comfortable learning the system, Im releasing Matthews and drafting Margus Hunt

9.Mewelde Moore(not going to be a big on field factor in our offense this year and in my opinion was brought in to help our RB's learn this system as well as other players on offense)

10.Jerraud Powers(resign)not great but he is serviceable

11.Drew Stanton(resign)depth

12.Martin Tevasue(release, Johnson has been better overall in my opinion and I am drafting Kwame Geathers anyway to be in a rotation with Chapman and Johnson and Baptiste at this point)

RFA (According to Spotrac)

1.Kris Adams(has the physical skills to be a serious factor in this offense but quit on a route where a ball was dabateably catchable, needs to show he will be there at all times when called upon to make a play, right now resign)

2.Austin Collie (has been great for us almost since day 1 but has had concussion on top of concussion, release)

3.Josh Gordy(has shown well in flashes in St Louis but has yet to do so in Indy and at times has looked bad)resign unless something better comes along

4.Mario Harvey(shown well when has had the oppurtunity but with the emergence of Freeman and Fokou it , will be hard for him to get on the field barring multiple injuries, release

5.Justin Hickman, has shown well when given the oppurtunity and could be retained to go behind Mathis and Addison

6.Jeff Linkenbach-has shown some good sometimes but far to much bad, release and sign Ebon Britton or Brandon Albert if they are released

7.Pat Mcafee-resign, not much really needs to be said here, ya need a Punter and he is a dang good one

8.Seth Olsen-was brought in as a low budget stop gap move who has played awful, release and bring up Hicks from PS

9.Matt Overton-resign

10.Cassius Vaughn-resign for depth purposes at this point

I don't think Donald Brown is a feature back. I thin he and Ballard can form a really good tandem with good line play.

At ILB, I'm sold on the rotation we have, assuming Angerer is what we expect him to be when he comes back.

I misused the term feature back earlier, I realize there are only a handful of those in the league. I don't think Grigson is going to try to find a feature back in any of his off season work, nor will there be one available. However, every year low dollar quality ball carriers get shuffled around - the likes of Willis McGahee. I'm not super negative on Donald Brown, but no other NFL back hits a hole like he does - and that is not a good thing. Yes, it is as much about the line as it is him, but I don't expect him to be high volume ball carrier moving forward. Either Ballard/Carter will emerge or they'll find another solution that can run between the tackles until we can develop a better solution. It is too early to evaluate our running game in general, but it is fair to say that Donald Brown doesn't run like a back with impact that gets tough yards. He belongs on the roster, just in a supplemental role.

As for the ILB's, I share the generally positive feelings about them that most have, but all of their potential still comes with tons of questions to answer, and Fokou is a free agent. The likelihood that all of the questions are answered positively and Fokou re-signed seems low given that there are good young LB's like Ellerbe in the market....and we are in the market. I do not expect any big money spent on ILB's. Our young LB's are too good for that. I guess all of this is more of a prediction of Grigson's behavior than it is a reflection on the qualiy of our young LB's. So much of the optimism about this group is due to Freeman's early performance. In reality, we just don't know enough about him yet to project him as more than a quality back up. By the end of the year, we may know him as much more than that, but he'll need to show a lot more pop stopping the run than he did against the Jags.

GREAT THREAD ZT!!! :)

LG - Reitz - his value can only be established with 2 good years, IMO. I would say a 3rd round tender should lock him up.

RG - McGlynn - he will be like a Mike Pollak, not great at anything but good at a few things and like Linkenbach, his versatility will keep him a roster spot at least till 2013.

LG/RG - There will definitely be one signing in free agency for the OG position

RT - Justice - he wont be on the team next year. Team will give Ben Ijalana one last shot and draft an RT in the draft.

WR2 - Avery - he is definitely worth a 3 year deal since the mileage on him is little if he stays healthy all year. However, the equation does change if we land a guy like Mike Wallace. I'd say a Jordy Nelson type of deal with 3 yrs. $13-14 mil. should seal the deal.

RB - We will draft another RB to replace Donald Brown. Grigson's allegiance to Vick Ballard will get strengthened, IMO

Defense:

DE/DT - Fili Moala - He will probably get Cory Redding money, IMO as a 3-4 DE and that is what we should give him.

OLB - Freeney....he goes back to a 4-3 base team and this is the last year he is a Colt, IMO

CB - Powers - He should be our No.1 priority in the offseason

ILB - Freeman - Freeman gets a 3 or 4 year deal like the Colts did with Brackett who was an UDFA to sign him up for the long term health of the D. He is the No.2 priority after Powers to me

SS - Zbikowski is gone, we are drafting a new strong safety or signing a new one.

My priorities for Colts players to be re-signed, in order:

1. Jerraud Powers 2. Jerrell Freeman 3. Donnie Avery 4. Joe Reitz 5. Fili Moala

Nickel CB or another starting CB - I think the Colts go after Cary Williams of Ravens or Keenan Lewis of Steelers

Good stuff here....like you, I love the forward looking stuff.

Freeman is signed through 14, RFA in 15. Reitz was undrafted, so I don't think we'll have the option to tender him at less than a 2nd round level.

I really like your prioritization of Avery, because I think we'll need to buy another year in case the play making WR we'd like to draft isn't in the cards this year given all the needs on our board and BPA approach. As of today, he looks like a great solution, and it will be interesting to see how the market for him develops if he has a strong year.

I'd bump Reitz to the top priority for in-house free agents because I expect him to play well and the line is our top priority. I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see Justice back, even if we might draft a RT, and he isn't going to bring a big number. He and McGlynn look like solid back ups, and I think Justice will prove by the end of the year that he might even make a worthy starter. Might not too.

I misused the term feature back earlier, I realize there are only a handful of those in the league. I don't think Grigson is going to try to find a feature back in any of his off season work, nor will there be one available. However, every year low dollar quality ball carriers get shuffled around - the likes of Willis McGahee.

Players of that caliber aren't going to improve our run game, IMO. I'm more positive about Ballard than you are, and I think he's the guy you're looking for there. But the low dollar backs wouldn't make a difference, I don't think. Only a premiere back, that handful of them, would make any difference, and I think the difference would be negligible. I'd much rather fix the offensive line, and then, if we're still not excited about our prospects at running back, Brown will be a free agent, we'll have a better read on Ballard, and we can either draft a back in 2014 or get a low dollar free agent that can run behind a decent line. I just don't think it's worth spending resources on.

I'm not super negative on Donald Brown, but no other NFL back hits a hole like he does - and that is not a good thing. Yes, it is as much about the line as it is him, but I don't expect him to be high volume ball carrier moving forward. Either Ballard/Carter will emerge or they'll find another solution that can run between the tackles until we can develop a better solution. It is too early to evaluate our running game in general, but it is fair to say that Donald Brown doesn't run like a back with impact that gets tough yards. He belongs on the roster, just in a supplemental role.

Brown sometimes looks indecisive, but we've also seen him carry the load when he got good blocking. The late season Jags game two years ago was the best game of his career, and it's mostly because we did a good job blocking. I think he's capable of it, and for as much criticism as he gets from Colts fans, I think the rest of the league, and scouts and game analysts, feel a lot better about his ability than the majority of us do. Not that that means anything, but sometimes we get so caught up in how disappointing he's been as a first rounder that we don't give him credit for what he actually can and has done.

Like you said, I think he has a role with a good offense, and it's not a 25 carry, between the tackles runner. At least, he hasn't shown that at this level, but that's exactly what he was in college. Perhaps a power blocking scheme would help him to emerge as that. I do think that he's been finishing runs a lot better this season, running through arm tackles, falling forward for the extra yardage, etc. Once he gets moving forward, he's doing a good job.

But honestly, my opinion on our need at running back has little to do with Donald Brown. Whether it's him or someone else, I don't think running back is a priority for us as we develop our identity on offense, or any team, really. As long as you have serviceable backs who can gain yardage, and who can catch, and who can pass block, I think your offense can be productive, even dangerous. The effectiveness and cohesion of the offensive line is much more important.

As for the ILB's, I share the generally positive feelings about them that most have, but all of their potential still comes with tons of questions to answer, and Fokou is a free agent. The likelihood that all of the questions are answered positively and Fokou re-signed seems low given that there are good young LB's like Ellerbe in the market....and we are in the market. I do not expect any big money spent on ILB's. Our young LB's are too good for that. I guess all of this is more of a prediction of Grigson's behavior than it is a reflection on the qualiy of our young LB's. So much of the optimism about this group is due to Freeman's early performance. In reality, we just don't know enough about him yet to project him as more than a quality back up. By the end of the year, we may know him as much more than that, but he'll need to show a lot more pop stopping the run than he did against the Jags.

Fokou is a free agent. Forgot about that. Take him out of the discussion then.

But your original questions were about starters, wasn't it. I don't think anything about our young linebackers suggests that we'll be looking for a starting caliber ILB this offseason, not barring injury or dramatic dropoffs in play or production. A guy like Ellerbe would make a good addition to our corps, but not as a starter.

And that's the thing: I think we'll make a lot of changes to our roster and our rotation at certain spots, including RB and ILB. But I don't think we have a pressing need to improve the starters at either of those positions, based on what we see so far. Let's say we can improve our starters at three positions, my priority would be RG, RT, and SS. The need for a starter next season might also be significant at DE, depending on how Nevis and Mathews come along, since Moala will be a free agent and I think is unlikely to be re-signed. Given the resources it will take to actually improve the starters at RB or ILB, and given the fact that our current starters will still be under contract, I just don't see it being a priority or even worth the investment.

Occasionally you'll see videos where a single player is highlighted for every touch they had throughout a game. I remember seeing one for Ballard and one for Allen.

For instance: Allen plays really well here, but also whiffs a block once or twice.

We need to number one get revis he a free agent an jets our 19m over cap next year might be a Namdi type of move an then go after top g we need interior help then draft as in 1st round or another c or g

Sorry,

I strongly disagree on this one. I think Revis has been great, but I think over the past 2 years he has been prone to injury. With the hamstring last year and now the ACL, I don't think Revis is going to be worth his money for a few more years if ever. I think we are looking for the next Ed Reed, or Derrel Revis, not the worn out ones. Good thought though, the idea is right, the personnel is damaged goods though. LOL

Eric

Players of that caliber aren't going to improve our run game, IMO. I'm more positive about Ballard than you are, and I think he's the guy you're looking for there. But the low dollar backs wouldn't make a difference, I don't think. Only a premiere back, that handful of them, would make any difference, and I think the difference would be negligible. I'd much rather fix the offensive line, and then, if we're still not excited about our prospects at running back, Brown will be a free agent, we'll have a better read on Ballard, and we can either draft a back in 2014 or get a low dollar free agent that can run behind a decent line. I just don't think it's worth spending resources on.

Per usual, I track with you on concept very closely. I'm not one that sees a future in trying to draft or acquire a big time back unless Terrell Davis shows up in the 6th Rd. Ballard has a shot. I don't pretend to know when his role should be increased or why we haven't checked out Carter thus far (assuming he is healthy). Coaches have a vested interest in positive outcomes, and I'm confident they make their selections accordingly. Including RB as a position where we have uncertainty, for me, is a reflection of this staff's willingness to make their roster better when talent is available - and I think they'll be weary of watching DB pick his way softly through narrow creases. Your logic for why they'll stand pat is sound to me as well.

Fokou is a free agent. Forgot about that. Take him out of the discussion then.

But your original questions were about starters, wasn't it. I don't think anything about our young linebackers suggests that we'll be looking for a starting caliber ILB this offseason, not barring injury or dramatic dropoffs in play or production. A guy like Ellerbe would make a good addition to our corps, but not as a starter.

And that's the thing: I think we'll make a lot of changes to our roster and our rotation at certain spots, including RB and ILB. But I don't think we have a pressing need to improve the starters at either of those positions, based on what we see so far. Let's say we can improve our starters at three positions, my priority would be RG, RT, and SS. The need for a starter next season might also be significant at DE, depending on how Nevis and Mathews come along, since Moala will be a free agent and I think is unlikely to be re-signed. Given the resources it will take to actually improve the starters at RB or ILB, and given the fact that our current starters will still be under contract, I just don't see it being a priority or even worth the investment.

Yes, the original premise is about starters and uncertainty. Fokou relates because if you are going to sign a free agent backer different than him, it might as well be someone that can compete for a starting role and that has experience in a comparable system. Freeman and Conner don't have anything locked down, so all that adds up to the potential for 1 new starter at ILB to emerge through free agency (low dollar) or the draft.

I say start Lefeged a couple games before we go out hunting for a new starting safety. Zibs is definitely not the answer, and Lefeged has been playing his tail off on special teams.

I think next year when we have all the cap money, and we don't have to pay Freeney's huge salary (he will be released), we will shore up Powers', Freeman's and assuming Avery doesn't get hurt, his contract, and get a couple O-Linemen and maybe a safety and/or receiver in FA. I think our LB, and RB situation is just fine.

Sorry,

I strongly disagree on this one. I think Revis has been great, but I think over the past 2 years he has been prone to injury. With the hamstring last year and now the ACL, I don't think Revis is going to be worth his money for a few more years if ever. I think we are looking for the next Ed Reed, or Derrel Revis, not the worn out ones. Good thought though, the idea is right, the personnel is damaged goods though. LOL

Eric

My thinking is we can get him cheaper with the injury as leverage, plus he just turn 27 a few months ago so he has another 4 to 5 years of being elite , Eric look at the bright side revis reputation is enough he take away the best wr an can shut a side down meaning focus on stoping run an other side of field

Offense:

Has Reitz been healthy enough to really show what he's capable of? I'm asking, I don't know. But if pushed, I'd guess he hasn't shown enough -- at least, not yet. But, we may still tender him, but my guess is not at a 2nd round level. Again, just a guess.

I know McGlynn is not popular around here (not sure why?)... but I've been modestly impressed with him at back-up center. My concern for Satele is that he's small -- very small, smaller than he's listed -- and I think he gets pushed back into the backfield and is an ineffective blocker. I think McGlynn has done surprisingly OK at center. For now, I think I'd like him to stay though I do't know if he'd be a starter

Again, with Justice, has he been healthy enough to show what he can and can't do? Hope he pans out and in part of our future, though I don't necessarily want him to start. I think there's enough talent so that he should remain part of our 8/9 OL group.

So far, so good for Avery. Hope he stays. Hope we find a way to keep him.

Wouldn't mind an upgrade over Moore (I know he's an Arian favorite)... but think Brown, Ballard and Carter (if he can stay healthy) can combine with a 4th RB to be a decent group.

Defense:

All in all, I've been pleased with Moala. Though I personally wouldn't mind if both dropped 5-10 pounds to be a little lighter. But I hope he stays.

OK, here's the Big Chip. If he can stay healthy the rest of the way, and show that he's got tread on his tires and gas in his tank, then I'd want to bring him back, but only on a contract similar to what Wayne stayed for. Not necessarily the same numbers, but a hometown discount that is more cap friendly. Otherwise I'm OK to say goodbye....

Powers I like, though would prefer him to be our 3rd corner. He's fierce and competitive. But his position demands that he be paid. I'd like to make that happen. If we let him go, I suspect we will regret it. Corner is a premium position in today's NFL. Pay the man!

I'm OK with our ILB group so far. Perhaps a FA pick-up on the cheap? But I think other positions are higher priority in the draft.

We've got to get a Safety in the draft. I think this is a very important position. Zib has been MIA and his back-up is small for an every down player. We need someone to a presence on the field. A priority this off-season.

Apologies as I'm late to this party.... but mad props to my man, ZtBoiler.... great effort......

With a post like yours, I think I'm going to attempt to respond inside a copy of your post, with my answers in a different color...

Hope that will be easier for everyone to read that way....