Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oncee we decide its no sin to throw 40 times, we'll be fine.

oldunclemark

Final 2 minutes of the half and game..we move the ball like its high speed rail

....our coach may have overreacted to criticism of Luck throwing so much in Chicago....

Andrew L. can escape the rush and get rid of the ball when he needs to....

We need to throw on 1st down

We can pass to set up the run.....use our strengths to scover up our weakness..

I'm still VERY encouraged...When we asked Luck and his boys to score quickly, they did

...even without 3 regular lineman....

the fans were great and if we win next week and Denver beats Houston in Denver, we're tied for 1st place!

And I hear Denver's got this hot new quarterback....an older gentleman.

I Think each game our young team will get better and better in this scheme on Offense and Defense especially for the rookies as they adjust to the NFL speed of the game. I thought the defense played well. Just need to be more aggressive towards the end of the game.

Some of those penalties were because of the colts being as disciplined as they were so lets not give it all to the Vikes.. especially on that pass interference call on harvin....

I dont think throwing the ball 40 times solves anything though... the colts determination to run the ball i think helped alot today.

Some of those penalties were because of the colts being as disciplined as they were so lets not give it all to the Vikes.. especially on that pass interference call on harvin....

I dont think throwing the ball 40 times solves anything though... the colts determination to run the ball i think helped alot today.

We run on 1st down between the tackles..end everybody knows it...

we did last year and we do now.......we rarely throw to the running backs...a pass which is like a run....

We ran the ball too much today...I thouhgt that was obvious..

we can smoke Jacksonville like a cheap cigar..but not with the run......they're good against the run

We run on 1st down between the tackles..end everybody knows it...

we did last year and we do now.......we rarely throw to the running backs...a pass which is like a run....

We ran the ball too much today...I thouhgt that was obvious..

we can smoke Jacksonville like a cheap cigar..but not with the run......they're good against the run

I dont care who the colts have at QB i rather run the ball and get 1yd an attempt than throw the ball 40 times with a rookie QB... that just screams turnovers right there.

This is a different team... i think once the colts settle down with their chanigng of the guards and get their starters back they should be much better in both phases especially the run.

....our coach may have overreacted to criticism of Luck throwing so much in Chicago....

I'm still VERY encouraged...When we asked Luck and his boys to score quickly, they did

the fans were great and if we win next week and Denver beats Houston in Denver, we're tied for 1st place!

I love you, Uncle Mark....

But we seriously disagree. It an absolute mortal sin to throw the ball 40+ times every week.

Now, we may not have much choice..... two games in and this is one of the worst run blocking OL's I've ever seen. And it's only moderately better at pass blocking. But the more we throw, the more we expose Andrew. You are tempting fate and the Football Gods and just begging for trouble....

You saw what Andrew could do today.... and that's only a fraction of what he's capable. Imagine him with a year or two of experience and a much better OL? You're going to love him. But we've got to keep him healthy. Throwing 40+ times week after week is a recipe to get him killed....

Keep Andrew Alive!!

I dont care who the colts have at QB i rather run the ball and get 1yd an attempt than throw the ball 40 times with a rookie QB... that just screams turnovers right there.

This is a different team... i think once the colts settle down with their chanigng of the guards and get their starters back they should be much better in both phases especially the run.

I 100% disagree...we ran into 9-man fronts on the last 2 series where we had the lead...

We didnt ruyrn the bal;l over but we handed it over

..we just need to do what we do well...which is throw the ball....Roll Luck out away from the rush and give himthe pass-run option late.

It is insane to run into a 9-man front with 3 backup O-linemen in the game..

That road goes nowhere..

I 100% disagree...we ran into 9-man fronts on the last 2 series where we had the lead...

..we just need to do what we do well...which is throw the ball....Roll Luck out away from the rush and give himthe pass-run option late.

That road goes nowhere..

Even if it goes nowhere, it's way better than passing and stopping the clock. We were using the clock to our advantage, not necessarily the run.

That road goes nowhere..

I suspect we'll be seeing that same D from a lot of teams in that situation. Arians better have an outlet pass alternative for Luck to call at the line.

I'm not one of those "Manning would have..." people. But Manning would have audibled out of those runs if he saw 9 in the box.

Arians played the second half - not to lose. We got Lucky.

When you have a 2 TD lead and a rookie QB, what you're trying to accomplish is keeping the ball out of the opponents hands and run time off the clock. You do not accomplish that if you're out there slinging the ball around 40+ times a game. It would have killed us if Luck would have thrown an interception or had a 3 and out and barely running anytime off the clock. They done the right thing by trying to continue to run the ball, even though they were not successful. It still took time off the clock.

Even if it goes nowhere, it's way better than passing and stopping the clock. We were using the clock to our advantage, not necessarily the run.

Finally, I see a post from somebody that actually understands what we were doing. Too bad others still haven't figured this out.

Finally, I see a post from somebody that actually understands what we were doing. Too bad others still haven't figured this out.

:) The run game isn't always about gaining yards, a lot of it is clock control or keeping the ball away from the opposing team's offense. I remember during the Peyton era the only time teams would typically come close to beating us in the regular season was when they kept Peyton off of the field by running the ball.

"Andrew L. can escape the rush and get rid of the ball when he needs to....

We can pass to set up the run.....use our strengths to scover up our weakness.."

Throw short, throw to backs, screens...mix in runs and occasional shots down the field. The line is not good enough to run consistently. I think you have it right.

The quarterbacks appeared to be afraid to move around until this game. Looks like the coaches took off the shackles...pocket pass protection is very poor so moving pockets and bootlegs mixed with short stuff will be the best plan... until the line comes around.

As for the last few minutes, taking time off the clock was primary and Vikes would likely have NOT scored if the the 22 yard sack had been avoided. He is a quick study, bet that does not happen again.

I agree put the ball in Luck's hands because he is their best option NOW. Maybe next year they can become that power running team with upgrades on the o-line and a bruising back. It won't be the first time a qb carried a subpar o-line with hardly no run game in Indy. Focus on the no huddle with some runs sprinkled in off tackle and they will be fine for now. Don't give up on the run but don't force it either if you can't. Luck is a playmaker so unleash.

Without a run game, we won't win a playoff game.

If we keep trying to force a run game that doesn't exist, we won't even make the playoffs.

Air it out as best you can. You'll have to throw it away frequently thanks to no pass protection, but at least you'll get drives going forward instead of backwards when your RB is hit 6 yards behind the LOS for a loss. Or maybe makes it back to the LOS with no hole to hit if you're lucky.

I agree with Uncle Mark. We should have pulled away and blown out the Vikings and likely would have if we kept passing, but we took the ball out of Luck's hands, which played into the hands of the Vikings. We let them beck into the game. If we kept passing, I'm sure Luck would have continued to shred that defense. We shouldn't be scared to win big!

I can't believe anyone could have have watched last week's game, saw the result, then watched this week's victory, and would have a problem with the play calling. IMO the shift in play calling is the #1 reason we won today. For this team, with a putrid O-line, rookie QB and rookie skilled players, the play calling was nearly flawless. The play calling put them in a position to win.

I can't believe anyone could have have watched last week's game, saw the result, then watched this week's victory, and would have a problem with the play calling. IMO the shift in play calling is the #1 reason we won today. For this team, with a putrid O-line, rookie QB and rookie skilled players, the play calling was nearly flawless. The play calling put them in a position to win.

Penalties. 105 yards worth.

That road goes nowhere..

I agree when we were up 20-6 it really felt with the play calling they were just conceding the punt in order to avoid the "mistake". That's playing not to lose. I really felt like they should have at least mixed in a pass here or there on first or second down. It didn't have to be a play action pass or a shot down the field. A screen passes would have been fine. Just something to take them out of 9 in the box and keep them honest.

Agreed. Thought the playcalling went too conservative. We went aggressive right before half and got the Td, went aggressive again late in the game to get the winning field goal. But in between they were too conservative. I "think" Arians was concerned with the O line's ability to pass protect which is why we got a lot of those short throws that are basically long handoffs and a lot of run plays that went nowhere when we had that nice lead. But, the line is just as bad at run blocking as they are pass blocking and Luck was the number 1 choice for a reason, so i'd rather they let the kid loose more then they did today in the 2nd half. I think the playcalling would have been fine in that situation if you had the right personnel to run it, we don't. It's a bad situation either way but i think the odds are better with Luck making a play then the running game.

I don't want to see the Colts resort to throwing the ball 40+ times a game. It would be nice to have a more balanced offense to cut down on mistakes. I think the o-line has settled down, and expect things to get better as the season goes on.

I don't want to see the Colts resort to throwing the ball 40+ times a game. It would be nice to have a more balanced offense to cut down on mistakes. I think the o-line has settled down, and expect things to get better as the season goes on.

that 1990s thinking...

We ran into 9-man lines today all the 4th quarter

..and we run on 1st down most of the time. If we wanted to have a power runing game...why did we

draft a top passing QB and four receivers (including 2 TEs)

We have to trust Luck...not to make mistakes...He's not a dummy

Look at all the NFL box scores and look at how many times teams threw the ball today..

..and we ran into brick walls in the 2nd half until the game was tied and then we threw the ball like we invented it..

trust Luck

Andy's awareness is unreal. There were a number of times someone would be get loose and chase him from behind, I was like 'NOOOO,' and he just steps up, escapes, and throws down the field.

I very strongly agree Mark. This is a passing league, and we have a pretty good QB, let him stretch his wings. No reason to run into a brick wall. Ground and pound is dead. You gotta throw to set up the run.

That road goes nowhere..

I agree. Why try to do something that were not good at.

Thats why we handed the playoff game to the Jets. We tried to do something(run) we are not good at and we abandoned what we are good at(passing).

Ok, I am with you. So, we should build the team around Luck, and throw the ball all over the place. Hmm... I like, but isnt that the same reason everyone was complaining about our team before? Either you wanted to keep Peyton or you wanted a more balanced team. Which one is it? I guess its easier to blame the coaching staff that way. Lets do it !

If Arians calls a running play and Luck sees they are stacking the box, he should have the authority to change the play. That's why Luck was the number one draft pick because he could do that better than anybody else. I understand wanting to run the play clock down with a big lead, but running doesn't do that...successful 3rd down plays do that. And the way to have successful 3rd down plays is by reading the defense and putting our offense in the right play.