Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not seeing much from Zbikowski so far...

bluephantom87

Was a big fan of Tom at Notre Dame but it seems like his safety play in the NFL has not elevated. Seemed to be hesitant and late on plays in preseason which carried over to the opener.Thought Z-man would bring a physical presence to the secondary to go along with Bethea but I'm just not seeing it. Don't get me wrong he's still an upgrade over what the Colts had I just expected more. With the addition of Davis to go along with Powers the secondary could be a bright spot by mid season IF they can stay healthy (depth a problem) and get some help from the front seven in the form of pressure on the opposing qb. Right now I would say our lb's are the strength of the defense (even with Angerer out) and the d-line needing the most work. Thoughts?

Was a big fan of Tom at Notre Dame but it seems like his safety play in the NFL has not elevated. Seemed to be hesitant and late on plays in preseason which carried over to the opener.Thought Z-man would bring a physical presence to the secondary to go along with Bethea but I'm just not seeing it. Don't get me wrong he's still an upgrade over what the Colts had I just expected more. With the addition of Davis to go along with Powers the secondary could be a bright spot by mid season IF they can stay healthy (depth a problem) and get some help from the front seven in the form of pressure on the opposing qb. Right now I would say our lb's are the strength of the defense (even with Angerer out) and the d-line needing the most work. Thoughts?

I agree and if we dont see improvent out of Powers or Zbikowski we may have to look at SS Eric Reid or CB Xavier Rhodes in the draft.

I have been thinking this as well. but its so early still. if he has two ints next week. what will the tone be around here? I think he was brought in to contribute but we shall see there are 11 guys on the field. there are probably two safeties in the league that seem to be everywhere. but he does seem hesitant, he should be the most knowledgeable player in the secondary can only wait to see if there is improvement.

We are one game into the season, and the guy had 4 tackles. If he has two picks with as many tackles next week... are we going to see a thread saying omg, Zbikowski is teh best ever?!?

No... not one to go to the extremes. I didn't say omg he's the worst ever. Tom has been in the league about 4 or 5yrs and was in Chucks system in Baltimore. The observation came from preseason and the opener. My point was I thought Tom would bring a PHYSICAL presence to the secondary but has been hesitant in his play. At the end of the day this is a forum for Colts fans to chat football so if he does have two picks and as many tackles next week that just means he had a good game..... :facepalm:

It's not just that, he was barely noticable in the pre-season too. He looked bad more often than he looked decent.

Did you even watch the game? He made all the plays he had the opportunity to, including a one on one tackle on a screen in space. He drew the pass interference in the end zone against Hester.

He did really well yesterday, not pro bowl but then again he is not a pro bowler so i am not sure what was expected.

I myself, felt he played better than expected.

No... not one to go to the extremes. I didn't say omg he's the worst ever. Tom has been in the league about 4 or 5yrs and was in Chucks system in Baltimore. The observation came from preseason and the opener. My point was I thought Tom would bring a PHYSICAL presence to the secondary but has been hesitant in his play. At the end of the day this is a forum for Colts fans to chat football so if he does have two picks and as many tackles next week that just means he had a good game..... :facepalm:

Go watch the game again, he hit hard when he had the chance, the one play he hesitated on that i can remember was on a pass to Marshall on the right in front of his zone and he more stayed in front if him and made him run sideways and let the line backers catch up, but in context i thought that was the smart play not many nfl safeties are winning a one on one battle with Brandon Marshall.

Go watch the game again, he hit hard when he had the chance, the one play he hesitated on that i can remember was on a pass to Marshall on the right in front of his zone and he more stayed in front if him and made him run sideways and let the line backers catch up, but in context i thought that was the smart play not many nfl safeties are winning a one on one battle with Brandon Marshall.

Yeah, he's playing okay. Definitely not one of our problem areas right now. Especially considering we had hardly any pass rush after the first couple series and Cutler had so much time to throw.

To be honest though, I haven't re-watched the game. Too frustrating.

Did you even watch the game? He made all the plays he had the opportunity to, including a one on one tackle on a screen in space. He drew the pass interference in the end zone against Hester.

He did really well yesterday, not pro bowl but then again he is not a pro bowler so i am not sure what was expected.

I agree with you!

Yeah, he's playing okay. Definitely not one of our problem areas right now. Especially considering we had hardly any pass rush after the first couple series and Cutler had so much time to throw.

To be honest though, I haven't re-watched the game. Too frustrating.

Go watch it again, so much less frustrating when you rewatch. You see so many things that point to brighter days than during first viewing.

I don't normally watch games again but on a whim saw it on demand and said why not, much different game.

No one really goes all out during the preseason except for those trying to make the team... Look it is one thing if a guy sucked, but to disappear entirely is a bit different story. There were a lot of other problems.

Yes I did watch it. And he drew the PI because because he was in the right spot at the right time. Not because of his all world skill set. What tackle on a screen in space? I'm pretty sure that was Davis. On the other hand, I saw him repeatedly wait for the ball carrier to come to him after he caught the ball, and then make a poor tackle attempt. The dude is below average. He's a stop-gap player. At best.

we all should just relax, especially knowing next year is when we will really be an upset threat. that and the fact that we have only played one game in the new system and he is switching safety positions which isnt always the easiest of tasks. but anyway at least wait til past midseason to make judgements on these players.

Yes I did watch it. And he drew the PI because because he was in the right spot at the right time. Not because of his all world skill set. What tackle on a screen in space? I'm pretty sure that was Davis. On the other hand, I saw him repeatedly wait for the ball carrier to come to him after he caught the ball, and then make a poor tackle attempt. The dude is below average. He's a stop-gap player. At best.

I just reached the game it was zibs, also part of being a good football player is being in the right place at the right time.

No one is saying he will be a pro bowler but I don't think anyone but you was expecting that. He is a solid player who shines on special teams.

Zbikowski is just a stop gap until we can address that position in the draft next season. He was brought in because what we had was just flat out terrible and he knew the system that was being brought in. He is there to help the other guys learn the new system, and hold down the fort for a year.

We just got to remember a lot of these guys are just here for a year or two until Grigson can get another draft and offseason under his belt.

I just reached the game it was zibs, also part of being a good football player is being in the right place at the right time.

No one is saying he will be a pro bowler but I don't think anyone but you was expecting that. He is a solid player who shines on special teams.

I never EVER expected him to be a pro bowler. The only thing I expected him to be was a decent player, which he partially is. imo

I agree and if we dont see improvent out of Powers or Zbikowski we may have to look at SS Eric Reid or CB Xavier Rhodes in the draft.

Am I the only one that thought Powers played pretty well? I saw him make quite a few plays. I mean you can't expect ANY cornerback in the league to guard a guy perfectly when the D isn't getting any pressure giving the QB all day to through. Lets put things in persepective here. If we can find a way to get pressure, you will see we have a pretty talented secondary. Wait, did I use "talented" and "secondary" positively in the same sentence when referring to the Colts? Thats a first....

Lets wait until midseason.........really we simply have not seen much of anyone yet...

Pre-season quarters were limited and you cant tell much by the oener with a new defense.

Check back to this after 2 more games