Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not seeing much from Zbikowski so far...

bluephantom87

Am I the only one that thought Powers played pretty well? I saw him make quite a few plays. I mean you can't expect ANY cornerback in the league to guard a guy perfectly when the D isn't getting any pressure giving the QB all day to through. Lets put things in persepective here. If we can find a way to get pressure, you will see we have a pretty talented secondary. Wait, did I use "talented" and "secondary" positively in the same sentence when referring to the Colts? Thats a first....

I thought Powers played well he can play better but he played well Anyone who doesn't think so hasn't played DB or doesn't know how!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is not, nor will he ever be an All-Pro..........however, in a gmae where you need solid play from all members of your team he is just fine! Compared to Bethea he is an average player so he will always be over-shadowed by Bethea's usuallly spectacular play. Additionally, for those that were hoping for Bob Sanders to show up in the form of Tom.........that just ain't gonna happen!

Again, he will be a solid 'contributor' to the defense, and thruthfully, thats all you can hope for out of all players on the roster!

Zib has not looked good to me in pre season or Sunday he looks smal,l tentative, unwilling to hit, takes bad angles, & late most of the time! The job of a SS is to be pysicial in the run game And passing game across the middle he is not & is usually no where to be found. People complained about Bullet all the time I liked Bullet at this point what I have seen of Zeb Bullet was like an ALL PRO which he wasn't compared to him. heck Caldwell played better last year. Hopfully he gets better, it seems clear to me that our coach likes him. I will give it more time, but hum no sure on this guy.

Was a big fan of Tom at Notre Dame but it seems like his safety play in the NFL has not elevated. Seemed to be hesitant and late on plays in preseason which carried over to the opener.Thought Z-man would bring a physical presence to the secondary to go along with Bethea but I'm just not seeing it. Don't get me wrong he's still an upgrade over what the Colts had I just expected more. With the addition of Davis to go along with Powers the secondary could be a bright spot by mid season IF they can stay healthy (depth a problem) and get some help from the front seven in the form of pressure on the opposing qb. Right now I would say our lb's are the strength of the defense (even with Angerer out) and the d-line needing the most work. Thoughts?

I agree he always seemed to be playing alot slower than the offense.Even when helping out on tackles he was late.Just seemed to be playing slow

I understand its only been one game plus preseason with the Colts so far, but Tom has been in the league for 4 or 5yrs as a backup with a few starts. Like I stated before was a big fan of Tom at Notre Dame because he was their playmaker in the secondary playing fast and aggressive with some big hits not to mention his skills as a punt returner. Many thought he could be a star in the league coming out of college (3rd rd pick) and felt that being drafted by the Ravens was perfect for him but some guys just don't elevate at the next level while others shine. Tom is serviceable but not a difference maker. Look at Bethea who came from a small college in football terms (competition wise also) and elevated to a pro bowler at the next level. Coming from a 3-4 scheme and having a fresh start I just thought that Zibs would come in with a chip on his shoulder as the starter and set at least a physical tone from day 1 of training camp for the secondary. So far I'm seeing that same hesitant "safe" guy who's been in the league 5yrs that's serviceable to plug in.

I just rewatched the game and I am not sure where all this negativity is coming from about Zibs. If you watch the game you will see that he was in on a lot of plays, had several broken up passes, and was pretty much the only person that could tackle the Bears running backs! He has very sound tackling and almost intercepted 2 passes that I saw.

He may not be all pro but he is a very solid safety. Don't make him a whipping boy.

I agree with CptHooligan up there. I don't have all the play by play details, but from watching the game. I saw Zbikowski make a solid tackle one-on-one in the middle where it was a score if he didn't make the tackle. The line and linebackers all missed the tackle on the runner. I also recall one on the sideline that stopped a touchdown after a big catch. Both solid tackles. I myself feel he is a decent tackler. I'm not saying he is stellar, but I don't see stellar on our D right now at any position. I think they are all trying to get this thing figured out and settled into. I'm not gonna throw him under the bus. I think he is doing what he is being asked to do. I believe some of the reason he is there is just to make tackles. Chicago doesn't have a receiving type TE, so you gotta figure his use in this game was primarily to stop anything from getting behind him. I feel like he did that. Until we are able to slam pressure on the QB with regularity, I'm fine with him staying back and keeping some of the big plays from happening.