Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OT Available?

GoDeep

If we signed him, it would likely shift our entire line. He'd be put in at LT, sliding Costanzo over to RT, moving Justice to RG. I would be ok with this if we were truly contending this year, but if Costanzo is supposed to be our anchor going forward, I don't like the idea of bringing in an aging vet for a year. It would just stunt Costanzo's growth at the position, and for what? Just to push for a .500 record? I'll pass

If we signed him, it would likely shift our entire line. He'd be put in at LT, sliding Costanzo over to RT, moving Justice to RG. I would be ok with this if we were truly contending this year, but if Costanzo is supposed to be our anchor going forward, I don't like the idea of bringing in an aging vet for a year. It would just stunt Costanzo's growth at the position, and for what? Just to push for a .500 record? I'll pass

Who says we are pushing for .500?

What kind of contract dispute could that have been? Did they want him to agree to a reduced base salary? He would have been making $3.2 million this season, with a cap hit of $4.2 million. I'm pretty sure we could handle the contract if we thought he was a good fit.

I'm not sure what kind of impact he'd make on our offensive line. Would he fit at right tackle, or would he have to play on the left side, requiring Castonzo to move to right tackle after taking zero snaps there over the past two years? Just like any other 33 year old player, do you want to commit money to him when you're not sure he's going to help? This kind of move could backfire and even set AC's development back.

Imma pass on ahf321's opinion....He is aging which means he could stay at RT...but if the dispute was over money or lack thereof we won't be in contention....

Mckinney has played LT, exclusively , to my knowledge. Just because he's a tackle doesn't mean he's interchangeable between the left and right side. Not every o-linemen is capable of making such a shift.

Who says we are pushing for .500?

We're not contending this year, was my point. Why invest significant money into an aging player when we're in the middle of trying to get younger? Just stunts our overall growth.

What kind of contract dispute could that have been? Did they want him to agree to a reduced base salary? He would have been making $3.2 million this season, with a cap hit of $4.2 million. I'm pretty sure we could handle the contract if we thought he was a good fit.

I'm not sure what kind of impact he'd make on our offensive line. Would he fit at right tackle, or would he have to play on the left side, requiring Castonzo to move to right tackle after taking zero snaps there over the past two years? Just like any other 33 year old player, do you want to commit money to him when you're not sure he's going to help? This kind of move could backfire and even set AC's development back.

Apparently they wanted to cut his salary in half.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-bryant-mckinnie-in-contract-squabble-with-ravens-could-lead-to-his-release-20120904,0,725030.story

I'm not understanding how people think more than 4 Wins can't be accomplished with this Current Roster. If Grigson wants to bring anyone else in, he will. If not, then either 2 things have happened.

1. He's content with the Current Roster

2. He doesn't see anyone out there that grabs his attention

I'm not too sold on Mt Mckinney as a Tackle anymore. The dude gets hammered when he faces good pass rushers.

Do you remember what Freeney did to that guy? Freeney beat that guy down like Osi did Winston Justice! And I'm

sure that want' the last time in his career that happened. I would pass on that guy as a tackle for this team if you are

talking about keeping Luck from getting hammered by look out blocks. I'd keep Justice over Mckinney at this point.

If I took him at all I would think about transitioning him to guard maybe. I know he hasn't played guard though.

I'm not too sold on Mt Mckinney as a Tackle anymore. The dude gets hammered when he faces good pass rushers.

Do you remember what Freeney did to that guy? Freeney beat that guy down like Osi did Winston Justice! And I'm

sure that want' the last time in his career that happened. I would pass on that guy as a tackle for this team if you are

talking about keeping Luck from getting hammered by look out blocks. I'd keep Justice over Mckinney at this point.

If I took him at all I would think about transitioning him to guard maybe. I know he hasn't played guard though.

Freeney made a reputation out of making good tackles look like turnstiles.

I in 'agree with Krunk mode' today! McKinnie has battled being terribly out of shape according to the current ESPN article. My computer is slow down here so I did not post it.

He is enormous, but I will stay with the evolution of young Anthony Castonzo!!

I in 'agree with Krunk mode' today! McKinnie has battled being terribly out of shape according to the current ESPN article. My computer is slow down here so I did not post it.

Looks like your pc is out of shape, just like McKinnie. AC is our LT. I'd pass, even if he was cut..

1. Ravens LT McKinnie says he's been releas... (Rotoworld) LT Bryant McKinnie says he has been released following a contract squabble with the Ravens. 9 minutes

So, I don't know contract implications etc...

But per our sorry OL situation - could we do something here?

AND HE IS A RAVEN - PAGANO CONNECTION?!?!?!?

Well... I wont out right dismiss it because of the Ravens connection. I think that Grigson and Pagano would be willing to take a chance on an older guy if they know him. With that said I am still going to guess we wont do it because of his age and salary demands. I am guessing the Ravens asked him to take a pay cut as well because he wasn't preforming as well as he had in the past and with older players they don't tend to have a down year and then get better that is normally the signal that the time decline has started. I am also going to guess that since he wouldn't take a pay cut to stay in Baltimore he's not going to go some place else for cheap. With that said if Pagano liked him when he was with the Ravens (and remember Pagano coached defense so who knows how much if any interaction they had) and he thinks he's better than Justice the Colts might very well take a look at him.

The story behind the story is.....how do you get yourself $4.5 million upside down with what amounts to a payday advance and end up getting your wages garnished? If this doesn't summarize why most pro athletes are broke soon after leaving the field of battle....wait, maybe it is for a good cause.....

I am pretty sure you are thinking Jonathan Ogden.

No I'm thinking Mckinnie. I take it you didn't get to see the Colts vs Vikings matchup(s) when he was with the Vikings? http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1918927

I think they had another matchup or two where freeney beat him again as well, but that Monday night game was one of Freeneys best performances. He should have had about 6 sacks to be honest.

Freeney dogged Mckinnie while he was with the Vikings, and he dogged Ogden as well.

No I'm thinking Mckinnie. I take it you didn't get to see the Colts vs Vikings matchup(s) when he was with the Vikings?

Freeney dogged Mckinnie while he was with the Vikings, and he dogged Ogden as well.

I see all the Colts games, multiple times. Indy would have matched up with the Vikes in 2004 and 2008 in McKinnie's career. So you have a memory of their one on one match up from the 2004 game?

I see all the Colts games, multiple times. Indy would have matched up with the Vikes in 2004 and 2008 in McKinnie's career. So you have a memory of their one on one match up from the 2004 game?

No that was the worst game, but Freeney beat him as well in the 2008 game as well. Just not as bad as the 2004 game.

You might be right in saying he dogged Ogden worse though.

I cited Freeney as an example, but there have been others who have done that to Mckinnie.

Mckinney gave up 8.5 sacks last year. I don't know if that was over the 16 game regular season or if that includes the playoffs as well. If it is just the regular season then that means that in a little over 50 percent of the games you can expect him to get Luck creamed.

http://espn.go.com/b...bryant-mckinnie

That doesn't seem out of line for facing the other teams best pass rusher every week.

That doesn't seem out of line for facing the other teams best pass rusher every week.

Did you ever see Tarik Glen giving up 8.5 sacks?

Good tackles give up around 0 to 5 maybe 6 and I think I'm stretching at 6 for the whole regular season. Andre Smith who was a rookie for the Bengals I believe last year gave up 3. Michael Roos for the Titans gave up 1 sack in 2011. 8.5 is too high especially for Mckinnie who is an established veteran, and when you get around 10 then you are pretty much in trouble.