Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano Speech

Rybono

Wow! I'm ready to strap on a helmet! That was a great example of how to get someone pumped up without having to yell or scream...of course, the music and the footage added to it. On its own, it would have been a good speech. But with the music and everything, it's a wicked pump up speech. My favourite part of the video was seeing Bethea smash into MJD and beat him at around the 0:55 mark

I'm really liking the guy. Not to bash the previous regime, but this is what they were missing. Absolutely no fire, nor intensity. Pagano brings it. Yes, these guys are all grown men, but it was so obvious in how complacent they were getting. There was no accountability whatsoever, and I think the whole Dungy-esque approach went in one ear and out the other towards the end(the last couple of years).

I don't think Irsay could have picked a better guy for this team.

Well Pagano is going to be compared to Caldwell quite a bit. Better get used to it.

I can understand what your saying but that's wasting time in my opinion because there is no comparing what so ever. Pagano is the better coach. ( we hope ) He's definitely headed in the right direction. :thmup:

It's a great speech. And to be honest, while I haven't watched most of the new 'Hard Knocks'.... in the roughly 1/3 of what I have seen I have not heard a single coach give a speech like that. That Dolphins staff seems awful to me.

That said....

There is one sentence toward the end of Pagano's speech that is, quite frankly, a poor choice of words.

The part where he says.... "do you want to be the best of all-time at your position?" Pagano can get away with that with a new young team and so many are just trying to make a roster. But, in time, once those young kids turn to vets, they will roll their eyes if he says something like that again.

Most players don't even think in terms of being the best of all-time at their position. They know it's not possible. Not even close. They want their coaches to make them the best they can possibly be. (apologies for the Marine's commercial!) They know there is no chance to be the best at their position of all-time. It just rarely happens.

So, 95% of the speech I can really get into. And it's part of what I really love about Pagano. But just those few words made me do a double-take. That kind of talk will get old pretty fast. Maybe not this year. Maybe not next year. But someday, and that day is coming sooner than anyone thinks.

Just my two cents....

It's a great speech. And to be honest, while I haven't watched most of the new 'Hard Knocks'.... in the roughly 1/3 of what I have seen I have not heard a single coach give a speech like that. That Dolphins staff seems awful to me.

That said....

There is one sentence toward the end of Pagano's speech that is, quite frankly, a poor choice of words.

The part where he says.... "do you want to be the best of all-time at your position?" Pagano can get away with that with a new young team and so many are just trying to make a roster. But, in time, once those young kids turn to vets, they will roll their eyes if he says something like that again.

Most players don't even think in terms of being the best of all-time at their position. They know it's not possible. Not even close. They want their coaches to make them the best they can possibly be. (apologies for the Marine's commercial!) They know there is no chance to be the best at their position of all-time. It just rarely happens.

So, 95% of the speech I can really get into. And it's part of what I really love about Pagano. But just those few words made me do a double-take. That kind of talk will get old pretty fast. Maybe not this year. Maybe not next year. But someday, and that day is coming sooner than anyone thinks.

Just my two cents....

I'm refunding your 2 cents lol

I couldn't find if this was posted, but I'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AZaQ0q8Hxo

WOW!!!! I got goosbumps. That was a great speech spoken like it was from a legend. That says alot about Pagono and the type of man he is the coach he is. he is definatley setting the right mindset with this team. Now we gotta go out and execute on nightly basis for 17 weeks. Awsome!!!

That said....

Just my two cents....

I want the type of players that strive to be the best of all time on my team... and that is what he is motivating the team to do. Great motivational speech and video. Just my :2c:

That said....

Just my two cents....

How do you know its not possible for a player to be the best at his positon one day? Your going to tell players that do want that and strive for that, that it's not possible. Is that motivationg or even close to encouraging? The point about how hard or seemingly impossible it may seem to be the best does not matter, its about the effort, dedication, heart and Commitment your willing to give to get to that point. It wont be easy but what are you willing to do to get there? Thats what he's trying to get accross to the players. You know that saying " You can achieve anything you set your mind to" well it holds true today. Your looking at this phrase very pessimisticly and missing the the true point.

That said....

Just my two cents....

have to disagree, i felt like the whole speech was leading up to that one sentance. and i bet guys like reggie wayne are looking at jerry rice and striving to be better than him every day he puts on the horseshoe.

That said....

Just my two cents....

I do believe that was from the first rookie mini-camp.

Well Pagano is going to be compared to Caldwell quite a bit. Better get used to it.

Making that comparison does not make sense. The starters the Colts use are different, a lot of the coaching staff is different, the GM is different, the player composition opponents that the Colts will play will be different.

People like don't hate on Dungy because he was quiet. They hate on Caldwell because he was quiet. I feel the biggest reason people don't like Caldwell is because he isn't charismatic.

That said....

Just my two cents....

I'll join the list of those that disagree. Guys that make it to this level do so in part because they are driven to be the best of all-time. The streets are littered with guys of equal or greater talent that are driven by the quest to be the best. It hits all of these guys right on the mark - for most it is there nature and at the core of how they think. Just because they are rational enough to know it may not happen doesn't mean they aren't inspired by keeping it in the forefront.

Making that comparison does not make sense. The starters the Colts use are different, a lot of the coaching staff is different, the GM is different, the player composition opponents that the Colts will play will be different.

People like don't hate on Dungy because he was quiet. They hate on Caldwell because he was quiet. I feel the biggest reason people don't like Caldwell is because he isn't charismatic.

i think a lot of people don't like him cause dungy handed him over a fine tuned machine and he crapped on that. getting a little worse every year. not to mention not going for the perfect season rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. i have no ill will for the guy, however i am (so far) pretty pleased with pagano being our head coach.

i think a lot of people don't like him cause dungy handed him over a fine tuned machine and he crapped on that. getting a little worse every year. not to mention not going for the perfect season rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. i have no ill will for the guy, however i am (so far) pretty pleased with pagano being our head coach.

I dont think he crapped on it, he made some mistakes but he wasnt the biggest reason of our 2-14 Caldwell was the coach after all when we got back to the SB, we didnt have Peyton and Polians emergency plan just wasn't going to work out that was the biggest reason of our 2-14

I dont think he crapped on it, he made some mistakes but he wasnt the biggest reason of our 2-14 Caldwell was the coach after all when we got back to the SB, we didnt have Peyton and Polians emergency plan just wasn't going to work out that was the biggest reason of our 2-14

He wasn't the reason for the lack of a 10 win season, but he had a lot to do with having 2 wins as opposed to 6. He wasn't a good coach at 14-2 and he wasn't a good coach at 2-14.

He wasn't the reason for the lack of a 10 win season, but he had a lot to do with having 2 wins as opposed to 6. He wasn't a good coach at 14-2 and he wasn't a good coach at 2-14.

No I dont believe he was either but with Manning down I dont think Dungy himself could have prevented the debacle, maybe not 2-14 maybe more like 5-11 but they wouldn't have been nowhere near a playoff caliber team

How do you know its not possible for a player to be the best at his positon one day? Your going to tell players that do want that and strive for that, that it's not possible. Is that motivationg or even close to encouraging? The point about how hard or seemingly impossible it may seem to be the best does not matter, its about the effort, dedication, heart and Commitment your willing to give to get to that point. It wont be easy but what are you willing to do to get there? Thats what he's trying to get accross to the players. You know that saying " You can achieve anything you set your mind to" well it holds true today. Your looking at this phrase very pessimisticly and missing the the true point.

I'm responding to Weslo... but really, I'm replying to everyone who responded to my first post, and an unpopular post it is!

But, look at my whole post. I said young guys will buy into this. Older veterans, not as much. That this will work for a while, but at some point, it will have much less effect.

Pagano didn't say 'best at his position'.... he said 'best at his position for all-time'.... again, young players might buy in. But veterans, not so much. And the Jerry Rice's of the world are incredibly rare. That's what made Rice, Rice.

Players quickly realize this is a business and the "Rudy" type speeches don't work nearly as well. They want to be treated as men. They don't want to have sunshine blown up their.... well, you know.

And the players will give all that great effort for guys like Pagano, if they feel they are being coached to be the best they can be. The best of all-time just won't resonate with players who have been around for any length of time.

I covered sports for roughly 30 years. I've interviewed hundreds, if not thousands of athletes over the years. I've followed sports for roughly 50 years. I think I've got a pretty good idea about this stuff. I know what I wrote and I knew it wouldn't be received well.

And I'm one of the biggest Pagano fans here. Been one since before I arrived at this website.

As FJC noted, he thinks the comments were made at a rookie mini-camp. That's a great place for them. He can make them at rookie mini-camps likely from now until the day he stops coaching. But, when he's dealing with veterans, speeches like that won't be nearly as effective.

This is hardly a big knock or slam on Pagano.... these are just my observations.... Not a big deal.

I'm wrong plenty. I think I've established that around here! :thmup: But I don't post recklessly or lightly. I'm comfortable with what I wrote.

And if someone wants to refund my two cents (great line, btw!) that's OK too...

i am not just talking about last year. i felt over the course of the last couple of years the team was less and less dominant, still good but not really great. if that makes sense. i know he took us to a sb which i feel we should not have lost, if he would have had a better game plan and it was a team dungy had built, coached, and handed over to him. he was given a sb winning team.

I'm really liking the guy. Not to bash the previous regime, but this is what they were missing. Absolutely no fire, nor intensity. Pagano brings it. Yes, these guys are all grown men, but it was so obvious in how complacent they were getting. There was no accountability whatsoever, and I think the whole Dungy-esque approach went in one ear and out the other towards the end(the last couple of years).

I don't think Irsay could have picked a better guy for this team.

The Dungy-esque approach went out when Dungy retired..............Caldwell was a puppet............nothing more!