Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you feel about the roster as a whole?

StewieG

I figured I'd ask since we are probably done with the roster (outside of maybe 1 or 2 moves we MIGHT end up doing)

For the most part I like it. Yes we have some weaknesses on the OL and the CB (although better with Davis) positions.

I like what Grigson has done so far. It will be exciting to see what he can do next year with all the money we have.

Also I LOVE how stacked we are at WR. This may end up being the best WR core we have had in a long time within a few years (I remember hearing Reggie Wayne saying something like this too)

In terms of rank taking into consideration talent and depth

1.Quarterback

2.ILB (We appear good top to bottom here)

3.WR (we have speed, veteran leadership, athleticism and a little size with many of our receivers having decent to good hands)

4.Tight Ends (We have depth and plenty of untapped talent in our young Tight Ends Fleener and Allen

5.OLB's (I see alot of potential here as well it just has to come together, if it does then lookout)

6.Running Backs (We have depth here and all have shown flashes of very good)

7.Defensive Tackles (I like how Mookie has played well but we dont know what we will get out of Tevaseu and we have a lack of depth there (currently 2) I think when and if we get Chapman back that will potentially improve the rotation

8. Defensive Ends(I like how Moala has played so far and with Redding back I think we will get better but I am hoping Nevis and Matthews step up)

9.Corner (We added Vontae which on the surface and paper is a drastic improvement but if he was to go down with an injury then we would be right back to square 1

10.Safeties (We have Bethea an excellent safety also Tom Z is a decent not great. We have a lack of quality depth at the position)

I'm still worried about the lines.

The O line looked alright against the Rams and Steelers, and then it was like someone turned a light switch off, and the blocking stopped.

I dunno what to think about the D line. I mean, the ends are alright, noting special, unfortunately, but I'm afraid the NT position is going to be a huge hole in our boat. And playing 3-4 with bad NT's is kinda like trying to run a marathon with a broken ankle...

Other than that, I think we've done well.

I figured I'd ask since we are probably done with the roster (outside of maybe 1 or 2 moves we MIGHT end up doing)

For the most part I like it. Yes we have some weaknesses on the OL and the CB (although better with Davis) positions.

I like what Grigson has done so far. It will be exciting to see what he can do next year with all the money we have.

Also I LOVE how stacked we are at WR. This may end up being the best WR core we have had in a long time within a few years (I remember hearing Reggie Wayne saying something like this too)

QB -- B+ (the only way I could fee better about our quarterback situation would be if we kept Manning and there were zero concerns that he'd be able to play at an MVP level again)

RB -- C+ (I like our stable, but we don't have a real gamebreaker, and it's hard to be excited about the backs when the line has so many question marks)

WR -- B- (it's big that Reggie stayed, but the rest of the corps is a question mark, either due to injury or inexperience, but there's tons of potential here)

OL -- D+ (until proven otherwise; big issues with protection and run blocking in the preseason, especially on the right side; I do think we're better than the past two seasons, but that's not saying much)

DL -- C+ (mostly due to lack of depth at nose tackle and a change of scheme for the ends, and the most experienced end has been injured twice this preseason)

OLB -- B+ (I like our guys, and I think they'll be okay in the new scheme, plus we suddenly have a ton of depth with Hughes and Addison)

ILB -- C (Angerer hurt, but the other guys have been active and physical, but the tackling still needs to improve)

CB -- B- (this grade improved drastically about a week ago, and now we have a decent group, but still lacking in depth)

S -- C+ (Bethea is great, but everyone else is decidedly average; again, we're better now than we were the past two seasons)

Returners -- B- (I think we have very capable guys, but I don't think they'll get very many opportunities due to the new kickoff rules and how good punters are these days)

K/P -- A (veteran, clutch kicker, who still has plenty of leg left, and Pat "Boomstick" McAfee; no better tandem in the league, IMO)

That works out to a C+ grade overall.

1.Quarterback

3.WR (we have speed, veteran leadership, athleticism and a little size with many of our receivers having decent to good hands)

4.Tight Ends (We have depth and plenty of untapped talent in our young Tight Ends Fleener and Allen

5.OLB's (I see alot of potential here as well it just has to come together, if it does then lookout)

7.Defensive Tackles (I like how Mookie has played well but we dont know what we will get out of Tevaseu and we have a lack of depth there (currently 2) I think when and if we get Chapman back that will potentially improve the rotation

8. Defensive Ends(I like how Moala has played so far and with Redding back I think we will get better but I am hoping Nevis and Matthews step up)

9.Corner (We added Vontae which on the surface and paper is a drastic improvement but if he was to go down with an injury then we would be right back to square 1

10.Safeties (We have Bethea an excellent safety also Tom Z is a decent not great. We have a lack of quality depth at the position)

I couldn't help but notice that there is no mention of the Oline here

The O line looked alright against the Rams and Steelers, and then it was like someone turned a light switch off, and the blocking stopped.

I dunno what to think about the D line. I mean, the ends are alright, noting special, unfortunately, but I'm afraid the NT position is going to be a huge hole in our boat. And playing 3-4 with bad NT's is kinda like trying to run a marathon with a broken ankle...

Jay Ratliff is better than anyone we have at tackle, but he's not a prototypical nose tackle. Neither is Shaun Cody. They both worked really well in Wade Phillips system, mostly because of the 1-gap principles, but also because of how good the ends and pass rushers are. I guess I'm holding out hope that some of our non-traditional nose tackles on the roster can play the role sufficiently well as a stopgap until we're able to seriously upgrade the position. Brandon McKinney is nothing special, but losing him really hurt.

Yes the lines are suspect ... but so are NE's and GB's.. a QB that "thinks" can mask that.

the DL... We just have not seen them at full bore yet?

1.Quarterback

10.Safeties (We have Bethea an excellent safety also Tom Z is a decent not great. We have a lack of quality depth at the position

11.O Line (I think we have a decent Center and excellent potential at Left Tackle, I still think 1 or two players are playing out of position but overall as a whole this is the most concerning spot on the team in my opinion

Jay Ratliff is better than anyone we have at tackle, but he's not a prototypical nose tackle. Neither is Shaun Cody. They both worked really well in Wade Phillips system, mostly because of the 1-gap principles, but also because of how good the ends and pass rushers are. I guess I'm holding out hope that some of our non-traditional nose tackles on the roster can play the role sufficiently well as a stopgap until we're able to seriously upgrade the position. Brandon McKinney is nothing special, but losing him really hurt.

I felt like Mookie outplayed him especially in the washington game, I remember on 1 play in particular Mckinneys body was at angle and he was given driven back, his feet werent underneath him. Mckinney did draw a couple more double teams, not alot but Mookie constantly beat his man

I felt like Mookie outplayed him especially in the washington game, I remember on 1 play in particular hi body was at angle and he was given drive back, his feet werent underneath him. Mckinney did draw a couple more double teams, not alot but Mookie constantly beat his man

I'm okay with Mookie as a part of the rotation. I'm nervous about Mookie as the only nose tackle on the roster. Now we've added the guy from the Jets, which helps. But the Mookie/McKinney tandem would have made me feel a little better.

Superman I think Indy has in Ballard and Carter a couple very good "hit the hole hard" backs.. Which is what a bad run blocking OL needs.

I don't know that it matters if there's no hole to hit. I'm a huge Vick Ballard fan, but the offensive line has been consistently underwhelming so far.

I think our biggest area of weakness is obvious in the OL.

As for areas of strength, our LB core is looking pretty good. We have good depth at DE/OLB with Hughes and Addison as good backups and potential starters. (If we could get something for Freeney we wouldnt be hurting with the depth we have.)

DB is better with the Vontae Davis signing, but still a good SS is needed opposite Bethea. Zbikowski needs to show more than what he has in the preseason.

WRs core is somewhat deep but young other than Wayne, so dont expect a ton out of them this year. Possibly in the coming years they will turn out to be very good players for us.

Still wish we see plenty of 2 TE sets with both Allen and Fleener on the field, provided Fleener can get his hands up to par.

Overall, I think this team has potential to be great 2 or 3 years down the road or so. This year, I see us going 7-9.

I'm okay with Mookie as a part of the rotation. I'm nervous about Mookie as the only nose tackle on the roster. Now we've added the guy from the Jets, which helps. But the Mookie/McKinney tandem would have made me feel a little better.

My thoughts exactly

I don't know that it matters if there's no hole to hit. I'm a huge Vick Ballard fan, but the offensive line has been consistently underwhelming so far.

that is my point .. "if" there is little or NO hole Indy or any team is best served to have a back who can or WILL "hit the hole hard"...

Joe Addai's just don't do well with a bad line.

Regardless if Luck is good enough he will create "holes" just by his presence in the game.

1.Quarterback

I agree with pretty much all of this. Good break down Gavin.

that is my point .. "if" there is little or NO hole Indy or any team is best served to have a back who can or WILL "hit the hole hard"...

Joe Addai's just don't do well with a bad line.

Regardless if Luck is good enough he will create "holes" just by his presence in the game.

I hear you. Guys like Ballard and Carter might be able to turn a two yard loss into a 1 yard gain. And they deserve credit for that. But you still only rushed for 1 yard. So if the line continues to let defenders leak past and disrupt the run game, our hard-running backs still aren't contributing to a productive run game.

I hear you. Guys like Ballard and Carter might be able to turn a two yard loss into a 1 yard gain. And they deserve credit for that. But you still only rushed for 1 yard. So if the line continues to let defenders leak past and disrupt the run game, our hard-running backs still aren't contributing to a productive run game.

C'mon now ... Ballard and Carter are "break tackle backs" ... they turn the negative into a "big" plus sometimes.

Arians will get creative and set the running game up for success. The same way Manning did if the last 5 years.

IF Indy can throw the ball.... Indy will run "when they NEED to" ...

QB -- B+ (the only way I could fee better about our quarterback situation would be if we kept Manning and there were zero concerns that he'd be able to play at an MVP level again)

RB -- C+ (I like our stable, but we don't have a real gamebreaker, and it's hard to be excited about the backs when the line has so many question marks)

WR -- B- (it's big that Reggie stayed, but the rest of the corps is a question mark, either due to injury or inexperience, but there's tons of potential here)

OL -- D+ (until proven otherwise; big issues with protection and run blocking in the preseason, especially on the right side; I do think we're better than the past two seasons, but that's not saying much)

DL -- C+ (mostly due to lack of depth at nose tackle and a change of scheme for the ends, and the most experienced end has been injured twice this preseason)

OLB -- B+ (I like our guys, and I think they'll be okay in the new scheme, plus we suddenly have a ton of depth with Hughes and Addison)

ILB -- C (Angerer hurt, but the other guys have been active and physical, but the tackling still needs to improve)

CB -- B- (this grade improved drastically about a week ago, and now we have a decent group, but still lacking in depth)

S -- C+ (Bethea is great, but everyone else is decidedly average; again, we're better now than we were the past two seasons)

Returners -- B- (I think we have very capable guys, but I don't think they'll get very many opportunities due to the new kickoff rules and how good punters are these days)

K/P -- A (veteran, clutch kicker, who still has plenty of leg left, and Pat "Boomstick" McAfee; no better tandem in the league, IMO)

Wow..... I think that's a ridiculous fair and good analysis position by position.

I'd say the few I'd respectfully disagree with is cornerback where I think C+ is the highest I'd go, and would feel better with a C until we see otherwise. Same with running back, where I wouldn't go higher than a C and maybe C-. But that's not much to speak of all things considered.

Nicely done. Props to you! :thmup:

Fans are gonna be surprised i know that for sure.. some of the weaknesses ppl think the colts have are actually their strengths. one example is CB... josh gordy had a great season for the rams in 2011he has more INT's than King has had in his whole career in just his one season of starting 9 games.

The Oline will definitely get better in the run, when teams start paying attention to the passing game those lanes will open up, i am excited.

Understanding we have yet to play a game, I believe the FO and coaching staff have done a very good job in acquiring talent. I hesitate to assign a grade but I suppose I would give the staff a C+ or maybe a B-.

Not bad for year one of the rebuild but still very much a work in progress. We will struggle to run the ball and to stop the run. That's Colts football...the more things change this always seems to remain the same...unfortunately.

Oline and Dline need attention next offseason. Got to get more stout in the trenches. Wide Receiver depth is good so long as healthy. Running back stable is adequate but will only go as far as the Oline takes them. Luck looks to be the real deal. Secondary looking more promising with the addition of Vontae. Backers have potential...should get better when Angerer gets back. Special teams coverage is improving. Return game has big play potential but showed little in the preseason. Mcaffee and Viniateri remain rock solid.

i agree so Jake Long come on down. Costonzo move to rt and Jake Long at LT we will be set at O-line. With all the cap room we have i will be really dissappointed if we do not get him.

Why are some people so determined to switch Costanzo to RT ... I think he did well in the pre-season (the left side of the OL looked pretty good) ... I know he is no Jake Long, but i think he has the potential to be an elite LT.

Why are some people so determined to switch Costanzo to RT ... I think he did well in the pre-season (the left side of the OL looked pretty good) ... I know he is no Jake Long, but i think he has the potential to be an elite LT.

They just want a Great line. And if Long missed a game or two, look what you could slide over. ;- )

QB- I feel good about the QB position. Way better than last year or any year in a long time. Lucks the real deal, Stanton is as good as any backup we've had in many years, Harnish has tons of potential. Could be a starter for some team in the future, thats why Pagano didn't want to risk putting him on the practice squad. Some team would have picked him up to develop for the future. B to an A by the end of the season

RB-Once again as a whole, feel its the best four we have had in many years if not the best.- Donald Brown has speed, home run ability running and receiving.ever year he has been here he has had a handful of 40+ yd plays. With more attempts will come more big plays.his pass blocking has improved leaps and bounds. good receiver too.-Ballard -brings a little of everything into the mix, pass blocking, power, vision, decent receiver and can take it to the house with deceiving speed. Brown-Ballard is a good mix. Brown will have to produce or Ballard will become the feature back.-Delone Carter-has power and speed and at 238lbs he can move the pile. Don't understand why everyone is so down on Carter.(the fumbles I know) but he was not a fumbler in college and before he started funbling last year (and this can be corrected) he was considered our back of the future. he showed flashes last year, he runs with tremendous power, very hard to bring down. has been hurt, but there is a reason the colts kept him even though he missed most of the preseason.-Mewelde Moore-good all around back-up running back. Third down specialist, team player who has always produced when called upon. Maybe the (four best) we've ever had. I'll give this group a B could go higher.

WR- Injury and youth will determine this group. If Collie and Avery can stay healthy (Reggie Wayne said it himself) this could be our most talented group ever.- Reggie Wayne- is steal a very good WR and a leader.Collie (if he could stay healthy)would be one of the league leaders in receptions. Lets hope he stays healthy.-Avery- brings speed and expeirence. The sky is the limit with the young guys.-Hilton like Avery brings speed, speed and more speed. Big play ability like we haven't had since Marvin.-Brazil brings alot of the same ability as hilton and I got a feeling one of these two will be playing alot.-Adams is more raw than the other two young guys but, you can't teach 6'3" and fast just needs time to develop and should get that time with the guys that are ahead of him. B to a possible A very talented group.

TE-No experience, but tons of talent. Fleener and Allen are future stars.-Fleener is a match-up nightmare, you can line him up outside or put him in the slot Should be a huge weapon down around the goal line, with his height and leaping ability. Needs a lot of work on his blocking.-Allen- great blocker and route runner, has a real feel for the holes in zone coverage.Great burst once he catches the ball and hard to bring down. before his career is over he could be the best all around TE in the game." A BEAST".-Jones has been a real suprise. good blocker and has shown potential as a receiver too. Good run after the catch against the Bengals. All three are rookies (thats a little scary) but the talent is unlimited.Still like this group better than last years as Clark had really dropped off and Fleener or Allen can do anything Tamme could do. I'll give them a B- but could be an A by the end of the season. Just need experience.

OL-This is the group that really worries me and could have an adverse effect on the rest of the offense. How well they play will determine if any B'S make it to A'S. this is our only weakness on offense. Unfortunately this will have a big effect on the rest of the offense.-Castonzo- is solid, great technician and will be the cornerstone of our offense for years to come.Unlike some on this board I think the left side of the line is set.-Reitz and Castonzo compliment each other well, Reitz moves well and is a very good downfield blocker. I think the left side is set. Its the rest of the line that worries me.-Satele is very inconsistent. He will dominate on one play and get dominated on the next. Very up and down with any consistance at all he could be a very good center. Now the really bad. Mcglynn has shown me nothing. I really expected more out of him but, now have lost all hope.-Olsen- even though he looks better than Mcglynn he does not look good. I was hoping we could pick up a veteran OG but, that doesn't look like thats gonna happen. I think Hayworth Hicks could be the answer down the road but, thats not gonna help us this season.-Justice-(see Satele) very inconsistent. He has all the physical ability I just don't know if he has the heart.-Linkenbach- Has the heart just doesn't have the footwork or ability. Hope Baker or Neskhe can be signed to the practice squad because they have potential, just not gonna help us this season. I give this group an D+

maybe with time playing together they can reach a C+ anything beyond that would be icing on the cake.Its unfortunate that we have all these weapons and such a weak O-line.With decent O-line this offense could be very,very good. I wish Grigson could pull off one more trade for a veteran O-lineman but, don't see that it will happen. I guess we will go with what we have and hope for the best "GO COLTS" I will give my opinion on the defense Sunday goodnight.

An excellent summary Sups. I'd drop the Dline down to a D, and the QB up to an A. The Manning reference was uncalled for, as we are rating our current roster. You need to let him go. Easier said than done, as I still bleat about week 16 occasionally, but I am trying!

But that shouldn't take away anything from a great post.