Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you feel about the roster as a whole?

StewieG

An excellent summary Sups. I'd drop the Dline down to a D, and the QB up to an A. The Manning reference was uncalled for, as we are rating our current roster. You need to let him go. Easier said than done, as I still bleat about week 16 occasionally, but I am trying!

But that shouldn't take away anything from a great post.

Every time I bring up Manning, it's not a way of holding on to him. I'm at peace with the decision. I'm just saying that while I feel great about Luck, I would feel better if our proven MVP level quarterback were still here and healthy. So I'm grading on a curve, which I think is fair given the fact that Luck is a rookie who still hasn't played a real game yet.

With the available talent, I hope we throw, throw, throw and make what little rushing game we have more effective by doing so. Would love to see a lot of short passes to negate the blitzes and protect the franchise quarterback. The OL should get better if pass blocking is what they practice most. Thinking Luck can get in good FG range 3 times a game and score at least two TD in the air most games. 23 points average is solid mid-pack and the defense will be better when Freeney and Mathis are turned loose down the road. Protect the line by throwing a lot of quick passes and running when least expected. My 2 cents... which is not worth a penny.

OL=D DL=C ILB=B- OLB=B- CB=B S=B- RB=C TE=B- WR=B QB will start at B- and progress to A-

So, if C is a league average and this is anywhere close to accurate, maybe 6-9 wins with outside chance of 2 more due to the schedule.

QB -- B+ (the only way I could fee better about our quarterback situation would be if we kept Manning and there were zero concerns that he'd be able to play at an MVP level again)

RB -- C+ (I like our stable, but we don't have a real gamebreaker, and it's hard to be excited about the backs when the line has so many question marks)

WR -- B- (it's big that Reggie stayed, but the rest of the corps is a question mark, either due to injury or inexperience, but there's tons of potential here)

OL -- D+ (until proven otherwise; big issues with protection and run blocking in the preseason, especially on the right side; I do think we're better than the past two seasons, but that's not saying much)

DL -- C+ (mostly due to lack of depth at nose tackle and a change of scheme for the ends, and the most experienced end has been injured twice this preseason)

OLB -- B+ (I like our guys, and I think they'll be okay in the new scheme, plus we suddenly have a ton of depth with Hughes and Addison)

ILB -- C (Angerer hurt, but the other guys have been active and physical, but the tackling still needs to improve)

CB -- B- (this grade improved drastically about a week ago, and now we have a decent group, but still lacking in depth)

S -- C+ (Bethea is great, but everyone else is decidedly average; again, we're better now than we were the past two seasons)

Returners -- B- (I think we have very capable guys, but I don't think they'll get very many opportunities due to the new kickoff rules and how good punters are these days)

K/P -- A (veteran, clutch kicker, who still has plenty of leg left, and Pat "Boomstick" McAfee; no better tandem in the league, IMO)

That works out to a C+ grade overall.

Superman, I agree with most of your analyst.

I would change QB grade to B depending on Luck not throwing to coverage and the answering of which team(s) in NFL are going to own him as the Oregon Ducks did in College.

CB would have an asterix by it. Your grade is, IMO based on Powers staying healthy and Davis playing and acting like a pro player and not a high school player.

In terms of rank taking into consideration talent and depth

1.Quarterback

2.ILB (We appear good top to bottom here)

3.WR (we have speed, veteran leadership, athleticism and a little size with many of our receivers having decent to good hands)

4.Tight Ends (We have depth and plenty of untapped talent in our young Tight Ends Fleener and Allen

5.OLB's (I see alot of potential here as well it just has to come together, if it does then lookout)

6.Running Backs (We have depth here and all have shown flashes of very good)

7.Defensive Tackles (I like how Mookie has played well but we dont know what we will get out of Tevaseu and we have a lack of depth there (currently 2) I think when and if we get Chapman back that will potentially improve the rotation

8. Defensive Ends(I like how Moala has played so far and with Redding back I think we will get better but I am hoping Nevis and Matthews step up)

9.Corner (We added Vontae which on the surface and paper is a drastic improvement but if he was to go down with an injury then we would be right back to square 1

10.Safeties (We have Bethea an excellent safety also Tom Z is a decent not great. We have a lack of quality depth at the position)

Good assessment. I might flip DT and DE, but both are rough. Safety has no depth, but at least the starters are good. I feel better about that than either of the DL.

Im Not going to give a full break down positin by position becuase I agree for the most part with what has already been posted by others. One thing I do want to say Is I think people are underestimating our O line a little to quickly. Remember this group is still in the beginning stages of getting their communication, timing and chemisrty down as well as knowledge of the playbook. Overall considering those factors they have actually done reasonably well this pre season. Im not the only one saying this either, Ive seen some NFL anylyst recently saying the same thing for what thats worth. Now they have not been perfect by any means and have alot to work on but alot of those things could and should improve with TIME (Keyword). An almost completely new unit is not going to come together and be a great unit in about a game and halfs playing time, Its highly unlikley at least. I do think we defiantley can upgrade next off season with getting a solid guard and tackle but I think this unit we have now can be solid as long as they dont get flooded with Injuries.

Every time I bring up Manning, it's not a way of holding on to him. I'm at peace with the decision. I'm just saying that while I feel great about Luck, I would feel better if our proven MVP level quarterback were still here and healthy. So I'm grading on a curve, which I think is fair given the fact that Luck is a rookie who still hasn't played a real game yet.

The question was 'rate the current roster', not compare it to what it could have been, should have been or what it may well be in the future. It's like me saying it would be way worse if we had have kept the Polian cartel. Pointless.

Im Not going to give a full break down positin by position becuase I agree for the most part with what has already been posted by others. One thing I do want to say Is I think people are underestimating our O line a little to quickly. Remember this group is still in the beginning stages of getting their communication, timing and chemisrty down as well as knowledge of the playbook. Overall considering those factors they have actually done reasonably well this pre season. Im not the only one saying this either, Ive seen some NFL anylyst recently saying the same thing for what thats worth. Now they have not been perfect by any means and have alot to work on but alot of those things could and should improve with TIME (Keyword). An almost completely new unit is not going to come together and be a great unit in about a game and halfs playing time, Its highly unlikley at least. I do think we defiantley can upgrade next off season with getting a solid guard and tackle but I think this unit we have now can be solid as long as they dont get flooded with Injuries.

If you notice the Mcglynn injury made the O Line better for the most part

The question was 'rate the current roster', not compare it to what it could have been, should have been or what it may well be in the future. It's like me saying it would be way worse if we had have kept the Polian cartel. Pointless.

I was actually saying that I feel really good about the quarterback position. But I reserved an A grade because I could feel better. Would it be better if I said having Tom Brady would make me feel more confident? The comment is not about Manning. It's about having a rookie quarterback.

I was actually saying that I feel really good about the quarterback position. But I reserved an A grade because I could feel better. Would it be better if I said having Tom Brady would make me feel more confident? The comment is not about Manning. It's about having a rookie quarterback.

Saying it was an inexperienced Rookie would have done it. No need to mention, Manning, or Brady, or Brees, or Painter. No sweat though. I still liked your post.

Saying it was an inexperienced Rookie would have done it. No need to mention, Manning, or Brady, or Brees, or Painter. No sweat though. I still liked your post.

Thanks. I know you're just nitpicking. I just wanted to clarify that I'm not intending to bring up Manning every time we talk about Luck. My point was that I want to give Luck an A grade, but him being a rookie keeps me from doing that.

Thanks. I know you're just nitpicking. I just wanted to clarify that I'm not intending to bring up Manning every time we talk about Luck. My point was that I want to give Luck an A grade, but him being a rookie keeps me from doing that.

Not nitpicking, just tired of Manning being dropped into posts at the drop of a hat (or a pass if you are a WR named Garcon). Your last sentence is a perfect example of what I mean. That would have rounded off your grading nicely. But you never said that. You pulled in #18 to make your point. Unnecessary in my opinion. Tiresome in fact

Not nitpicking, just tired of Manning being dropped into posts at the drop of a hat (or a pass if you are a WR named Garcon). Your last sentence is a perfect example of what I mean. That would have rounded off your grading nicely. But you never said that. You pulled in #18 to make your point. Unnecessary in my opinion. Tiresome in fact

I think you'll notice that I don't pull Manning in at the drop of a hat. His past on this team is significant. Just making mention of him doesn't mean one can't let go of him. At this point I don't need to say anything more about it. I get you; I think you get me.

I'm going to do game grades every week. I might mention Manning anecdotally from time to time. Others are going to bring him up frequently. If I could offer a nickel's worth of free advice: make your peace with it.

I think you'll notice that I don't pull Manning in at the drop of a hat. His past on this team is significant. Just making mention of him doesn't mean one can't let go of him. At this point I don't need to say anything more about it. I get you; I think you get me.

I'm going to do game grades every week. I might mention Manning anecdotally from time to time. Others are going to bring him up frequently. If I could offer a nickel's worth of free advice: make your peace with it.

Advice acknowledged......

Why are some people so determined to switch Costanzo to RT ... I think he did well in the pre-season (the left side of the OL looked pretty good) ... I know he is no Jake Long, but i think he has the potential to be an elite LT.

He gets beat alot by lbs running around him, little slow footed and dosent react fast enough for a lt, could be great at rt, we can live with him only because luck can move.