Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Mewhort

Andrew Luck fan club

Bone on Bone knee reminds me of Cherilus. However I would like to see an article proving such with his knee. Chrondral defect is a cartilage injury. Not career ending injury. Again I would like to see something proving he has a bone on bone knee joint. 

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

Bone on Bone knee reminds me of Cherilus. However I would like to see an article proving such with his knee. Chrondral defect is a cartilage injury. Not career ending injury. Again I would like to see something proving he has a bone on bone knee joint. 

Agreed.  I don’t know where that came from.  Still, if he comes back his contract has to be incentive laden based on the number of games.  

15 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Agreed.  I don’t know where that came from.  Still, if he comes back his contract has to be incentive laden based on the number of games.  

If the injury was osteochrondral then I’d be very worried. That’s bone on bone. From what the OP said however it isn’t. So that’s just a cartilage fix and the recovery time is 8 weeks. 

22 minutes ago, a06cc said:

If the injury was osteochrondral then I’d be very worried. That’s bone on bone. From what the OP said however it isn’t. So that’s just a cartilage fix and the recovery time is 8 weeks. 

I don’t know what’s true, or where people are getting their info.  He thought he was fine at the start of the season, saying he was back to his old self.  That obviously wasn’t true, so you can’t even believe what he says. 

We’ll just have to wait and see if they re-sign him. Ballard isn’t taking on charity cases, so if he signs, he must be good.  No one is going to pay him unless he goes through extensive medical exams.  

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Poor guy!

It seems kind of weird that it wasn't diagnosed before now. 

Definitely need to be looking into guards in FA: Andrew Norwell, James Hurst and Zach Fulton. We have the money...spend it on protecting the QB!!! 

Are Husrt and Fulton that much of upgrades?  I assume you’d have Hurst play G.  

I really dont know, I’m just asking.  It would be great to get Norwell, it doesn’t look like the Panthers can keep him.  

I don't know about his injury as far as if he's gonna be able to play, or 100% by training camp, but like I've been saying... Sign Norwell and another good G like Josh Kline. Then if Mewhort is healthy. Give him an incentive laden deal based on number of games played, and let him fight it out with Haeg, Clark, and Good for the RT spot. He's played well at G when healthy, but I think he'd be even better at RT personally.

I'm hoping for a healthy Mewhort and this OL.

Castanzo - Norwell - Kelly - Kline - Mewhort

Backups - Haeg, Good, Clark, Person. Then I don't know what we'd do with Bond. But I think Person would beat him out if it came to that.

14 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Are Husrt and Fulton that much of upgrades?  I assume you’d have Hurst play G.  

I really dont know, I’m just asking.  It would be great to get Norwell, it doesn’t look like the Panthers can keep him.  

Norwell for sure. The other two don't have knee issues either. 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/6/16858544/fixing-the-colts-offensive-line-3-guards-to-look-at-in-free-agency

On 1/16/2018 at 7:14 PM, a06cc said:

Sally reminds me of Jonathan Bender

21 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I don't know about his injury as far as if he's gonna be able to play, or 100% by training camp, but like I've been saying... Sign Norwell and another good G like Josh Kline. Then if Mewhort is healthy. Give him an incentive laden deal based on number of games played, and let him fight it out with Haeg, Clark, and Good for the RT spot. He's played well at G when healthy, but I think he'd be even better at RT personally.

Backups - Haeg, Good, Clark, Person. Then I don't know what we'd do with Bond. But I think Person would beat him out if it came to that.

If clark doesn't show something this coming training camp I wouldn't be upset if he gets cut.

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

If clark doesn't show something this coming training camp I wouldn't be upset if he gets cut.

Well. Me either. But he's showed a few flashes at times. Not much as he was pretty terrible overall this year, but I think he'll make the 53 baring injury. That's assuming he's improved. But even if we bring Mewhort back for 1 year. IMO the safe bet is to draft a T in the mid RD's, 5th-6th for depth to go with Haeg, Good, and Clark. I wouldn't be worried with Haeg at RT ASSUMING we sign Norwell and a guy like Josh Kline. Haeg IMO has a lot of upside. He wasn't that bad this year. He wasn't good, but he wasn't really terrible. LOL. Definition of mediocrity ? He's young. He's talented too. Lets just hope he's gotten stronger, and comes out and balls in his 3rd year. Then we have Good to throw in there too. He wasn't that good either, but has shown some flashes. Way more so than Clark. So like I said. I think assuming we sign a couple good G's like I mentioned above we'll be fine if we end up in training camp with a battle going on for the RT spot. But like I said. My preference is to bring Mewhort back if he's healthy. Let him play RT.

On 1/17/2018 at 7:12 PM, COLTS449 said:

Lol he can’t play RT.... they tried that the first two games of his second year and he got eaten alive...

16 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Lol he can’t play RT.... they tried that the first two games of his second year and he got eaten alive...

I knew he's played a game or 2 at RT, but then again.. This will be his 5th season. He's more experienced and better overall....IF he's healthy, and we do bring in Norwell and a guy like Kline, don't you think he'd be better at RT than Haeg, Good, Clark, or a mid RD pick ?

17 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Just for fun. I'm gonna ask you this bro. Pick OL number 1, 2 or 3. Number 1 is assuming Mewhort is healthy and we bring him back for a year on an incentive laden contract to prove himself. Number 2 is assuming we let Mewhort go, and sign an under the radar free agent, who played pretty well as a part time starter. A kid who has strong ties to McDaniels......Cameron Fleming. Cant believe I haven't seen his name mentioned on here. He could potentially be a big time steal in FA. He only started 6 games this year, but played very well. He's young, only 25 and seems to be an ascending player. He could be a beast on this coming contract. And I'm not 100, but he went to Stanford. He's 2 years behind Luck, so I'm thinking they were teammates out there. Again not 100% sure, though. Number 3 is also assuming we let Mewhort go, but only bring in the 2 G's. Personally I'd want number 1 or 2. 1 if Jack is 100%. But I'd be more than happy with number 2 if there's and ?'s. With those 2 G's, though. Any of the 3 would be top 3-5 OL in the NFL IMO. Also. All 3 is assuming we draft a T in the 4th-5th to battle it out with Clark. I cant see us not drafting an O-Lineman somewhere in this draft. Bring in a T to groom. We have Haeg and Good who can play all over the line, and re-signing Person gives us our backup C, and another backup G. Lets draft a true T for depth. Even if we bring in those 2 stud G's, we still need better depth IMO.

1) Castanzo - Norwell - Kelly - Kline - Mewhort   (Reserves - Haeg, Good, Person, Clark / mid RD pick)

2) Castanzo - Norwell - Kelly - Kline - Fleming   ( Reserves - Haeg, Good, Person, Clark / 4th-5th RD pick

3) Castanzo - Norwell - Kelly - Kline - Haeg   (Good, Pasztor, Person, Clark / 4th-5th RD pick

All this may be moot as we don't even know the extent of Mewhort's injury, but its assuming he's healthy. I've not seen anything to truly make me think he's done. I'd say its 50/50 cause we don't have facts but yeah. I really hope he can recover even if its with another team. He's young. He's a heck of a player when healthy, and he's also a really good kid. He deserves a break. I really hope he don't have to hang it up early.

I am afraid that Mewhort's playing days are over if it truly is osteochrondral. Without something like adult stem cell as someone mentioned (Cartilage regeneration ) the cartilage will not grow back. This procedure seems more common but for a 300#+ athlete I don't like the odds. May have already tried it but we don't know.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

I knew he's played a game or 2 at RT, but then again.. This will be his 5th season. He's more experienced and better overall....IF he's healthy, and we do bring in Norwell and a guy like Kline, don't you think he'd be better at RT than Haeg, Good, Clark, or a mid RD pick ?

Mewhort is way to slow footed to be a RT in the NFL. He got worked every single time when he was out there. He's just not a good enough athlete.

25 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Mewhort is way to slow footed to be a RT in the NFL. He got worked every single time when he was out there. He's just not a good enough athlete.

Yeah. I mean you may be right. We'd have to see. I'm just throwing out the possibility. But when he played RT... That was when he was what ? A rookie and his 2nd season ? I know experience isn't going to make him a better athlete lol, but if Mewhort is 100%, and we can bring him back on a cheap 1year deal, and we don't sign a starting RT, you hadn't rather have him at RT than Haeg, Good, Clark, or a mid RD pick ? Or at least let him battle it out with Haeg and Good ? I mean personally I'd love to see Haeg step up and become our RT for the next 6-7 years, but IDK. He's got the skillset. He's just gotta get stronger for one thing. We'll have to see how he looks in year 3. Hopefully a breakout year. But back to Jack, like I said. I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility. But really the more I think about it the more I want us to sign Cameron Fleming. He shouldn't cost that much as he's never been a full time starter. I say just make Norwell the highest paid G in the NFL. Sign Kline to a decent amount of money, and Fleming shouldn't cost that much. Love Kline as our RG as he's a very good pass blocker.

Andrew Norwell - 5 years, 70 Million

Josh Kline - 4 years, 28 Million

Cameron Fleming - 4 years, 28 Million

Just now, COLTS449 said:

Yeah. That was also when he was what ? A rookie and his 2nd season ? So if Mewhort is 100%, and we don't sign a good RT, you hadn't rather have him at RT than Haeg, Good, Clark, or a mid RD pick ? Or at least let him battle it out with Haeg and Good ? I mean personally I'd love to see Haeg step up and become our RT for the next 6-7 years, but IDK. He's got the skillset. He's just gotta get stronger for one thing. But with Mewhort. I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.

People don't get faster as they get older, especially with bad knees. But to answer your question, no, Haeg and Good both aren't good but they are better than Mewhort at RT. He's strictly a guard, he can't hold up on the edge. The others at least have better athleticism to handle the position. 

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

This line of thinking doesn't make sense. He was horrible at tackle and never played it again. He presumably should be better now than he was before, but only for the guard position. Guards and tackles to very different things.

11 minutes ago, Calmack said:

This line of thinking doesn't make sense. He was horrible at tackle and never played it again. He presumably should be better now than he was before, but only for the guard position. Guards and tackles to very different things.

Like I said. I'm throwing it out there as a possibility. If we can bring him back on a cheap 1 year deal he'd probably be a better option than a mid RD pick or Haeg and Good. But if he's healthy I think he could at least be average at RT. But again. This may all be moot as we don't know if he's even gonna be able to play again. Hopefully Haeg steps up. That would be ideal. It would be one less hole to fill, and another young player who's still on his rookie contract starting. Which is always a good thing.