Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marcell Dareus traded to Jacksonville

RockThatBlue

And,  to make this even better.....     (please note the sarcasm...)

The cost is a 6th round pick which could go as high as a 5th round pick.     And Dareus still has a number of years left on his big contract.

So,  we can PLEASE end the idea that we're getting a 3rd round pick for Vonte Davis who will be a free agent this coming January.      Odds are,  we won't even be getting a 4th.

A little reality often helps the perspective............

SB Nation reported in an earlier article that the Bills had two players they are expected to make available in trade talks before the deadline.  Dareus and OL Cordy Glenn who they almost moved to the Seahawks before talks broke down.  I would bet Glenn is still available and he's only 28.  Wonder what it would take?  A player and a pick?

This is great for them in the short term, but Dareus has a gigantic contract, and I think that will come back to hurt them in the next few years.  Plus, the NFL today is still a QB-driven league.  Bortles is completing less than 60% of his passes and has a passer rating of less than 90, so they are by no means solid contenders.

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

This is great for them in the short term, but Dareus has a gigantic contract, and I think that will come back to hurt them in the next few years.  Plus, the NFL today is still a QB-driven league.  Bortles is completing less than 60% of his passes and has a passer rating of less than 90, so they are by no means solid contenders.

They will get a QB this off-season they will go all out for one 

7 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Apparently nothing in his contract is guaranteed past next year I read. 

If that's true it's not the worst move in the world.

The Jags are definitely trying to win finally. I'll give them credit for at least trying. They were a joke for years.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The cost is a 6th round pick which could go as high as a 5th round pick.     And Dareus still has a number of years left on his big contract.

So,  we can PLEASE end the idea that we're getting a 3rd round pick for Vonte Davis who will be a free agent this coming January.      Odds are,  we won't even be getting a 4th.

Not a chance in hades will we trade Davis. He becomes a free agent at the end of this season. If someone wanted him all they got to do is wait.  Maybe you hadn't thought that far ahead?

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not a chance in hades will we trade Davis. He becomes a free agent at the end of this season. If someone wanted him all they got to do is wait.  Maybe you hadn't thought that far ahead?

A team focused on this year might have interest...    but all we'd get is a 7...   maybe a 6...

Some team might be willing to do that to rent a player for half a season...

This discussion has been going on for a month or so...   with some posters thinking we'd get a 4 and maybe even a 3...    

I'm hoping the Darius trade brings them back to planet earth..

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

A team focused on this year might have interest...    but all we'd get is a 7...   maybe a 6...

Some team might be willing to do that to rent a player for half a season...

This discussion has been going on for a month or so...   with some posters thinking we'd get a 4 and maybe even a 3...    

I'm hoping the Darius trade brings them back to planet earth..

I just don't think he has shown enough to get a trade. What he has looked like this season I highly doubt he has many suitors.

7 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

This is a big draft next year for QBs. Even if they don't get a top 5-10 pick like usual, there are plenty of choices in the first round this year that they can draft at the QB position. All they need is a QB now to be competitive, they are where the Texans were a couple years ago.

12 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is a big draft next year for QBs. Even if they don't get a top 5-10 pick like usual, there are plenty of choices in the first round this year that they can draft at the QB position. All they need is a QB now to be competitive, they are where the Texans were a couple years ago.

They could go all-out next year and try to sign Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins.  That could make them very dangerous in 2018.  I don't think they should draft a QB.  With all these moves, they're nearing win-now mode, so I don't think it would be in their best interests to draft a QB and wait a few years for him to develop.  If they can somehow sign Brees, and still maintain their top-10 defense, that's a scary team.

19 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

They could go all-out next year and try to sign Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins.  That could make them very dangerous in 2018.  I don't think they should draft a QB.  With all these moves, they're nearing win-now mode, so I don't think it would be in their best interests to draft a QB and wait a few years for him to develop.  If they can somehow sign Brees, and still maintain their top-10 defense, that's a scary team.

I think they will be going after Cousins and that won't be good he's still young and is just now entering his prime plus they will be getting Allen Robinson back from IR

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

i doubt we get anything for him, hes not playing well this year

edit- sorry i just saw crazycolts comment, didnt need to be said twice

16 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

They are getting one in the draft, considering their financial commitments, IMO.

The only Jags' D weakness was run D and this gets fortified with Marcell Dareus. Now, the Buffalo Bills are not as attractive an option as a fantasy defense, IMO. 

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Kirk Cousins is on a re-uniting course with Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers, IMO. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They are getting one in the draft, considering their financial commitments, IMO.

The only Jags' D weakness was run D and this gets fortified with Marcell Dareus. Now, the Buffalo Bills are not as attractive an option as a fantasy defense, IMO. 

Either that or captain kirk he's still young and in his prime 

26 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

That would be a bad idea lol Eli kinda sucks now 

Wait till the season finishes out, he will be just fine. His OL is inferior to that of the Jags and we know how much OL can make a QB and/or running game.

Plus Ben McAdoo finally realized he had to hand over offensive play calling duties to an OC and just be head coach.

On 10/27/2017 at 7:40 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Damn this isn't fair they get a QB and they will be legit contenders 

The Jaguars are legitimate contenders without a good QB. Remember the 2000 Ravens, 2002 Buccaneers, and 2015 Broncos? They all had below average QBs when they won the Super Bowl. Jacksonville probably will not reach the SB with Blake Bortles, but winning the division is very likely to happen.

On 10/27/2017 at 7:43 PM, bananabucket said:

He hasn't been the same for the past couple seasons.

He has not been used properly for the past couple years. Rex Ryan switched 4-3 players to a 3-4 scheme. This trade, which was strictly made to improve Sacksonville's run defense, reunites Marcell Dareus and Doug Marrone, so he can go back to playing at a Pro Bowl level if it was simply a case of having the wrong coach for two years.

On 10/27/2017 at 8:57 PM, 21isSuperman said:

This is great for them in the short term, but Dareus has a gigantic contract, and I think that will come back to hurt them in the next few years. Plus, the NFL today is still a QB-driven league. Bortles is completing less than 60% of his passes and has a passer rating of less than 90, so they are by no means solid contenders.

Dareus has a front-loaded contract. None of his money is guaranteed after 2018, from what I understand.

1 hour ago, JaguarsWoman said:

The Jaguars are legitimate contenders without a good QB. Remember the 2000 Ravens, 2002 Buccaneers, and 2015 Broncos? They all had below average QBs when they won the Super Bowl. Jacksonville probably will not reach the SB with Blake Bortles, but winning the division is very likely to happen.

I am talking about SB contenders I'm pretty sure they win the division this year 

10 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Dareus has a front-loaded contract. None of his money is guaranteed after 2018, from what I understand.

So I've heard.  In that case, this move is even better for the Jags.  With that said, you still need a QB.  I always appreciate having fans from opposing teams on our boards because they bring new perspectives.  What do you think the Jags do about their QB situation?

On 10/27/2017 at 8:57 PM, 21isSuperman said:

NFL contracts typically don't have guarantees past yr 3

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:04 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Tom Coughlin doesn't strike me as the patient type. Maybe he gets Manning out of NY? If it was anywhere but Jacksonville I might say he would waive his no trade clause for Tom..but I doubt he does it to go to Jacksonville....but that team is built for a win now qb.

On 10/29/2017 at 10:10 AM, 21isSuperman said:

So I've heard. In that case, this move is even better for the Jags. With that said, you still need a QB. I always appreciate having fans from opposing teams on our boards because they bring new perspectives. What do you think the Jags do about their QB situation?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I see no way the Jaguars don't draft a QB next year. Picking up the fifth year option makes it obvious the Jaguars want to keep him around while seasoning a rookie IMO. There are currently only two QBs on the roster, so that doesn't rule out the possibility of signing a free agent. I would be shocked if we trade for a QB.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Tom Coughlin doesn't strike me as the patient type. Maybe he gets Manning out of NY? If it was anywhere but Jacksonville I might say he would waive his no trade clause for Tom..but I doubt he does it to go to Jacksonville....but that team is built for a win now qb.

They will try for cousins or draft a QB I wouldn't trust manning