Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft pick 2018?

If we are as high as you predict (which I don't think we would be) I would say need to look for an elite pass rusher.  Those are in high demand where you can pick up a solid O-lineman or ILB in the 2nd round or later. 

What is interesting to consider is whether we can get another first rounder (maybe even more?) from a potential trade of Brissett based on how well he has played and us having Andrew back.

With the talent of OL in this year's draft. I would look to trade down and snag and extra pick or 2 and get a OT. There is not one worthy in the top 10 this year. One thing I love about Ballard is he goes BPA and focus on the OL and defensive front 7. It's true what they say. Come playoffs, it's a battle of the trenches.

12 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

If we are as high as you predict (which I don't think we would be) I would say need to look for an elite pass rusher.  Those are in high demand where you can pick up a solid O-lineman or ILB in the 2nd round or later. 

What is interesting to consider is whether we can get another first rounder (maybe even more?) from a potential trade of Brissett based on how well he has played and us having Andrew back.

You'd be lucky if you get a second rounder. You are talking like he has lit the world on fire. 

7 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

With the talent of OL in this year's draft. I would look to trade down and snag and extra pick or 2 and get a OT. There is not one worthy in the top 10 this year. One thing I love about Ballard is he goes BPA and focus on the OL and defensive front 7. It's true what they say. Come playoffs, it's a battle of the trenches.

I agree wholeheartedly it's the OL and front 7 (especially ILBs) where the focus should be and where we become a team capable of a title shot. But as to no OTs being top 10 worthy - I'd say there were two, but then Trey Adams (who was actually my favorite of the class) just tore his ACL and will stay in school. But I still think Connor Williams of Texas (if he declares) is a top 10 worthy prospect at OT. Quenton Nelson is a guard who is actually good enough that you might have to at least consider if you were picking around 10th as well, although that's super high for a guard. 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You'd be lucky if you get a second rounder. You are talking like he has lit the world on fire. 

He is a 23 year old quarterback who had shown himself to be a quality nfl starter within 6 weeks of joining a new team and a born leader.

Who wouldn't pay a first round pick for that?

3 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

He is a 23 year old quarterback who had shown himself to be a quality nfl starter within 6 weeks of joining a new team and a born leader.

I too think he would fetch a 1st rounder from someone. The question is if Ballard wants to trade a quality backup before Luck is back fully healthy with a quality OL protecting him first. My guess is no. 

13 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Proved to be a starter?

i like him as our back up, i'm glad he's here, but he beat 2 winless teams that are worse than us.  And we BARELY beat them.

i know its not all on him, but his play in 2nd halfs (after adjustments) is under-par.  At least now anyway.

for almost 20 years we havent had any quality at back-up.  Thru the manning and luck years.  Now we have one (i think) , and some wanna trade him? I wouldnt.  It could take another 20 to find one and we now know how important they can be.  Just my opinion. 

At this point we have to look real hard at Arden Key. Quarterbacks will go high (possibly 1, 2, and 3) so Key could fall right into our laps. He hasn’t produced as well this year, but he is coming off an injury.

Could be some red flags to weed through. If he passes the interview then he’ll be a highly touted draftee. It’s hard to find a better looking prospect than Key. His raw ability is undeniable.

Key’s floor is Mingo, but his ceiling could break the mold. 

http://footballdungeon.com/2017/05/arden-key-scouting-report/

The safe pick is Hubbard, but his ceiling is not quite as high. 

http://footballdungeon.com/2017/05/sam-hubbard-scouting-report/

16 hours ago, WERC82 said:

10 games remaining and a game and a half back and people are talking top 5 draft pick. Must be from the school of how to be a Cleveland Browns fan.

Well we had the easiest 6 game stretch out of all 32 teams to start the season, and all we have to show for it are 2 wins at home over 2 different 0-6 teams (still almost managed to lose both games). Now things get MUCH more difficult moving forward, & it seems like a foregone conclusion that Andrew’s not gonna show up & save the day. I do feel like we should honestly be 4-2, but even if we were, it would be fool’s gold, because we could just as easily be 0-6.

We’re almost at the halfway point of the season, & as the old expression goes, we are what our record says we are. We’re a very flawed football team that’s missing our franchise QB, and we only have 1 team remaining on the schedule that has a losing record (Bengals 2-3). I’d love to think things could turn around in the 2nd half of the season, but it sure doesn’t look good.

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Proved to be a starter?

i like him as our back up, i'm glad he's here, but he beat 2 winless teams that are worse than us.  And we BARELY beat them.

i know its not all on him, but his play in 2nd halfs (after adjustments) is under-par.  At least now anyway.

for almost 20 years we havent had any quality at back-up.  Thru the manning and luck years.  Now we have one (i think) , and some wanna trade him? I wouldnt.  It could take another 20 to find one and we now know how important they can be.  Just my opinion. 

Have you seen some of the starters I this league?  Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer, Blake Bortles.  You think their coach wouldn't have Brissett in as a starter ahead of them?

Brissett cannot be blamed for any of our losses, if we had lost the 49ers game then he takes blame for the interception in the red zone but, aside from that, he has been excellent.  Drops made by our group of receivers and Doyle are not on him.

I understand your perspective on having a solid backup, but isn't it more valuable to trade him to get a position of real need for our roster?

5 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Brissett cannot be blamed for any of our losses, if we had lost the 49ers game then he takes blame for the interception in the red zone but, aside from that, he has been excellent.  Drops made by our group of receivers and Doyle are not on him.

I do blame him for the Cards loss.  He threw the interception in OT that allowed them the FG.  Other then that I would not put every loss on him.  As a TEAM (including Coaching) we have lost these games.

6 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Have you seen some of the starters I this league?  Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer, Blake Bortles.  You think their coach wouldn't have Brissett in as a starter ahead of them?

I understand your perspective on having a solid backup, but isn't it more valuable to trade him to get a position of real need for our roster?

Then when our starter (who we dont know when , if ever will be back) is Tolzien again.

i get it, a team might offer enough to consider trading him.  But i remember Bortles looking BETTER than Brissett at one time. Hoyer and McNown have had their moments too.  Brissetts sample size is too small to predict his future success.

i dont disagree with you, i just dont see us offered enough for me to trade him and put us back to having no chance with our backup. Exactly where we were for the last 20 years.  There are also some good QBs coming out in draft this year so they will lower the value of Brissett too because there is inventory of new young exciting QBs entering the market.

i'm ok with whatever Ballard decides.

22 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Then when our starter (who we dont know when , if ever will be back) is Tolzien again.

i get it, a team might offer enough to consider trading him.  But i remember Bortles looking BETTER than Brissett at one time. Hoyer and McNown have had their moments too.  Brissetts sample size is too small to predict his future success.

i dont disagree with you, i just dont see us offered enough for me to trade him and put us back to having no chance with our backup. Exactly where we were for the last 20 years.  There are also some good QBs coming out in draft this year so they will lower the value of Brissett too because there is inventory of new young exciting QBs entering the market.

I think we are both coming from a very similar position, just my focus is high on getting a good starter if we can (particularly if its pass rush or O-line) and yours is, understandably, wanting a solid backup for the most important position in sports.

I agree, I will go along with whatever Ballard decides.

Good debate. :thmup:

17 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Proved to be a starter?

Yep.

We are not trading a quality back up. If we are picking in the 10-12 range and want to move up 2 or 3 spots, instead of giving up a 2nd or 3rd rounder, we can use him as a pawn, but only if extremely necessary. The odds are however very unlikely.

13 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

At this point we have to look real hard at Arden Key. Quarterbacks will go high (possibly 1, 2, and 3) so Key could fall right into our laps. He hasn’t produced as well this year, but he is coming off an injury.

Could be some red flags to weed through. If he passes the interview then he’ll be a highly touted draftee. It’s hard to find a better looking prospect than Key. His raw ability is undeniable.

Key’s floor is Mingo, but his ceiling could break the mold. 

http://footballdungeon.com/2017/05/arden-key-scouting-report/

The safe pick is Hubbard, but his ceiling is not quite as high. 

http://footballdungeon.com/2017/05/sam-hubbard-scouting-report/

If we arn't targeting Key then I would say you try and trade down for some team trying to target a QB.  Could potentially get a 2019 first round pick out of that deal.  

If we trade down then we probably want to target OL or maybe ILB.  

2 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I think we are both coming from a very similar position, just my focus is high on getting a good starter if we can (particularly if its pass rush or O-line) and yours is, understandably, wanting a solid backup for the most important position in sports.

I agree, I will go along with whatever Ballard decides.

Good debate. :thmup:

haha

at least we didnt call each other names

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I would say that some of those guys have had their moments, and then they capitalized off of them.  Free Agency is typically where you see this instead of a trade so I will give you that.  I will say that if a team get give up a 2nd rounder for a guy that has shown skills at the NFL level and still has a rookie deal why wouldn't they?  For all the QB's you mentioned they would have to hope to have a pick early in the first or go after someone in the 2nd.  Then they get someone who is a big questions mark, zero experience, and either a higher pick or the same 2nd rounder anyways.  I think teams see the importance of the position now and QB hungry teams have been know to do some crazy things.  

Having no backup again though...perfect other side of the argument right there.

As you said though I am good with whatever Ballard does.

More like a top 10 pick. I want Saquon Barkley, but I could see the arguments for trading down. I think if we get a top ten pick(out of top 5) Barkley will be gone, and Ballard will probably trade down. The problem with the #5 pick is that if a generational talent is available(pass rush, or anyone else) they would be BPA by a wide margin and make trading down difficult.

If our roster weren't so thin, I could understand holding on to Brissett as a backup instead of trading. But if he commands sufficient value, which he is likely to given the sad state of QBs, I would be in favor of trading him. Our roster is weak in so many areas and Ballard isn't going to hit on every pick or FA (Banner, maybe Basham, Spence)

• 1 month later...

I love Barkley as much as the next man, but our o-line is--to use a common term from the threads--a dumpster fire. Quenton Nelson is an animal and would be an enormous step forward to bringing this line to respectability. And besides that, there are many talented running backs set to be available later in the draft. To name a few:

Derrius Guice 

Rashaad Penny 

Mark Walton (looks like Barry sanders)

Kalen Ballage

John Kelly 

Bo Scarborough 

And one  of my favorites, Kerryon Johnson. I just recently watched film on this guy and he immediately triggered a David Johnson comp for me. 

Anyway, I probably forgot a couple other good backs too, so there is no shortage of talented back in this draft and I think our high picks would be best used on o-linemen.