Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard and Pagano/Coaches/Scouts working together.

AustexColt

Current releases and signing seems to indicate that they have an action plan and moving forward at warp speed. Seems to be so different with past few years. What will be very telling is the 1st Pick of this year's draft. So far it is looking very positive and encouraging for an exciting season in recapturing the AFC South. 

22 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Current releases and signing seems to indicate that they have an action plan and moving forward at warp speed. Seems to be so different with past few years. What will be very telling is the 1st Pick of this year's draft. So far it is looking very positive and encouraging for an exciting season in recapturing the AFC South. 

AFC south is shaping up to no longer being a doormat, single team dominated section of the NFL. We can't just sit back and hope to win the division because we have a top 5 QB. We have to have all three units working well as we grow.  

Well, it really depends on if the season will be make or break for Pagano. Ballard looks to be building a team for the future and not necessarily Super Bowl or bust. Pagano wants to win now to save his job but so far it's looking good for all involved. 

It's clear now that Ballard is molding something for down the road.  Sure, we are going to hope for the best and perhaps they can pull a rabbit out of their hat.  But!!!  We can pump the brakes on any talk of playoffs or doing any damage in the playoffs.  There is this massive road-block called The Patriots and they don't look to be taking a year off anytime soon and AFC South foes are strengthening.  As Ballard guides the enterprise through space, there may be a few of these:

a53b525b2f60a3a47e69da4d4a657098.jpg

And then down the road ...............................

tumblr_m65o27ykS51qddi5do1_250.gif

41 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard and company are going to revamp our d in one off season into a force to deal with

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.. still a lot of holes to fill and you're not going to get them all on free agency and the draft. Still need d and oline depth, starting safety to go with geathers, corner to go with and eventually replace vontae, inside linebacker, top end pass rusher, and a yound buck running back (hopefully Cook).  That doesn't all get done in one offseason. 

You have to admit though, it is nice to see a GM who actually has a plan, and is not just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks. I agree on pumping the brakes, but this is the way you build a team for years to come. I know we would be all excited if we signed the most talked about the FA's, and I really wanted a DT and RG, and we still may get one who knows. One thing I do believe, you don't win by paying one guy who is 30 14m/yr. and another guy 13.5/M a year who has only shined for one year in a really good defense. How has FA worked for the Jags the last few years spending all that money?  It can work, but after seeing the past 5 years under Grigson, I believe Ballard actually has a long term vision, and I like it. Make improvements now, and next year if needed, we will be loaded with cap space, improved by the signings and draft, and can then get FA's we know fill very specific holes, much in the way Denver did the last 4 years. Just happy to have him aboard.

They (Pagano & Co) need to hold players and assts more accountable.  Pagano need to start being more in your face kind of coach instead of clapping all the time.....If he possesses this mentality going into 2017, the Colts might have a chance to overthrow the Pats.

37 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

They (Pagano & Co) need to hold players and assts more accountable.  Pagano need to start being more in your face kind of coach instead of clapping all the time.....If he possesses this mentality going into 2017, the Colts might have a chance to overthrow the Pats.

The mentality isn't enough to overthrow the Pats,  unless Tom Brady and a dozen other top Patriots players get hurt......

An improved offensive line and a dramatically improved defense and a totally improved roster are what the Colts need.     And it's not likely we're going to get them all in one off-season.

Plenty of blame to go around, but you NEED to draft well ALWAYS, especially at the top of the draft (first rd). That's why Grigs isn't here.

Missing on your picks along with reports of not even getting along with the HC..that's why we are where we are.

Hopefully Ballard can get this roster to a point where even a Pagano mistake won't hurt us to much. 

Best free agents to sign are usually your own, gotta get back to the days where all our guys were homegrown drafted talent.

4 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

This!

I swear I get so frustrated watching the games seeing Pagano with the "don't worry, you'll get them next time" demeanor. 

8 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Not Pagano's way, i believe.  He is anything but a fire-breather. I don't see him putting on a facade.

9 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.. still a lot of holes to fill and you're not going to get them all on free agency and the draft. Still need d and oline depth, starting safety to go with geathers, corner to go with and eventually replace vontae, inside linebacker, top end pass rusher, and a yound buck running back (hopefully Cook).  That doesn't all get done in one offseason. 

watch ballard work his magic son, our d will be a force to deal with, you heard it from me first

I read a great article by an NFL phsychologist, backed by a batch of hall of fame executives and coaches that clearly states that clapping has a detrimental effect on a team. Moreso than smart play calling and good execution on the field. 

Unfortunately I cannot find the link......

17 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

I read a great article by an NFL phsychologist, backed by a batch of hall of fame executives and coaches that clearly states that clapping has a detrimental effect on a team. Moreso than smart play calling and good execution on the field. 

Unfortunately I cannot find the link......

lol

this thread is just stock full of garbage.

1)  grigson wasn't a one man crew just destroying this franchise.  he listened to the same coaches and scouts

2)  ballard has signed a terrible player (mingo), a terrible punter, and 2 backup olbers.  sounds very grigson like to me

3) anyone listening to pagano should be fired.  

4) not bringing back butler is a huge mistake.  

1 hour ago, dudeski said:

1)  grigson wasn't a one man crew just destroying this franchise.  he listened to the same coaches and scouts

2)  ballard has signed a terrible player (mingo), a terrible punter, and 2 backup olbers.  sounds very grigson like to me

:groan:

1 hour ago, dudeski said:

:facepalm:

Grigson made a big mess and now we are paying for it. Ballard should have been here years ago. He definitely seems like a draft only type guy.

No big free agent pickups kind of means we will have a younger, faster inexperienced team. There is just no way we can compete with the Patriots at this moment when they just added an overwhelming amount of free agents to stack up their already stacked up team. Our division stacked up in free agency and if the Jags throw in all their money on Poe, we can hope that the Texans dont pick up Romo. Dude can put up an average of 50 points per game if he needs to. Worst of all, were still trying to plug in holes on our starters and STILL have to add depth.

5 hours ago, dudeski said:

You don't post nearly as often as you used to,   but it's nice to see you're already in mid-season form!!

Impressive!       :thmup:

I'll just wait until the games start to find out how Ballard did.  

The offseason is always a more optimistic time.  People see the best of the FA's and hope to the point of willful blindness that they are getting the best out of a player.   Same thing with draft picks.

When the real games start we'll be able to see what we are actually getting.  But we should consider some negatives too.  

Sheard was benched last year.

Simon was for a long time just considered a quality backup for the Texans.  And his sacks mostly came while JJ Watt was drawing double teams.  

Mingo despite his 1st round status shouldn't be considered much more then just a warm body.  Maybe he has potential but that's a big maybe.  He's been in the league for 4 years now.  Occasionally guys do take that long to put it all together but that's rare.  Usually at this point a player is playing his best football.

What I'm most impressed with thus far is that Ballard actually managed to get something for trading away Dwayne Allen

What I'm not very impressed with thus far, although it's something that can be corrected at any time is that for some reason Art Jones is still on this team.  Although I suspect that Art Jones is going to be on the team this season.  Usually GM's cut vet players before FA or right at the beginning to give those players time to find work with another team.  It's not something you have to do, it's just considered to be the right way of doing things.  

9 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'll just wait until the games start to find out how Ballard did.  

The offseason is always a more optimistic time.  People see the best of the FA's and hope to the point of willful blindness that they are getting the best out of a player.   Same thing with draft picks.

When the real games start we'll be able to see what we are actually getting.  But we should consider some negatives too.  

Sheard was benched last year.

Simon was for a long time just considered a quality backup for the Texans.  And his sacks mostly came while JJ Watt was drawing double teams.  

Mingo despite his 1st round status shouldn't be considered much more then just a warm body.  Maybe he has potential but that's a big maybe.  He's been in the league for 4 years now.  Occasionally guys do take that long to put it all together but that's rare.  Usually at this point a player is playing his best football.

What I'm most impressed with thus far is that Ballard actually managed to get something for trading away Dwayne Allen

What I'm not very impressed with thus far, although it's something that can be corrected at any time is that for some reason Art Jones is still on this team.  Although I suspect that Art Jones is going to be on the team this season.  Usually GM's cut vet players before FA or right at the beginning to give those players time to find work with another team.  It's not something you have to do, it's just considered to be the right way of doing things.  

ballard signed a bunch of backups to good money and got destroyed by the pats in a trade.  he failed to bring butler back but did get doyle locked up.  

let me just say i am not that impressed. 

14 hours ago, dudeski said:

ballard signed a bunch of backups to good money and got destroyed by the pats in a trade.  he failed to bring butler back but did get doyle locked up.  

let me just say i am not that impressed. 

While most people on here could be accused of being overly positive and optimistic about the team you are certainly the opposite.  It's to such an extent that I almost think that you are trolling just for the fun of it.  

The money he signed those guys to was not that high.  

Furthermore Dwayne Allen spent a lot of years doing nothing here but getting hurt and dropping the ball.  It was a mistake to extend him and not Fleener.  Ballard gets a 4th round pick out of a guy that we probably would have cut at some point this or next year anyways and you think he got destroyed in the trade?

So far I believe he has done 2 things. Reduced age of OLB and improved special teams. If you reduce age 7 years per player at 3 OLB spots and do not lose productivity, you've improved. So far, so good. Still plenty of time in free agency until the draft truly tells the tale.