Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton for Colts GM

Indy B

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

If a change had to be made I wouldn't mind Harbaugh being hired as a head coach but not combined with the GM position.

I think Myles is right about Manning being the GM would be better. A lot of fans wouldn't second guess him and berate him as much as another GM just because of a bad pick or trade going south.

I could be wrong but IMO I don't see either men taking a position with the Colts anytime soon.

The combo of Peyton/Harbaugh would be interesting I have to admit. I don't see Peyton ever being a GM or a Coach though. I may be wrong but I can see him getting into broadcasting or being on the NFL Network, etc.. Harbaugh is at least a proven Great Coach on the main 2 levels. He was a play away from even winning a SB with the 49ers.

9 minutes ago, Archangel said:

First of all peyton can become a QB coach to start then learn the rest he already can read a defense. just give him time.

I don't think he would ever take a Coaching job is my point with the money he has, of course he could succeed at Coaching, maybe succeed even running a team but I doubt he wants the stress of being a GM. Why would he? I think this because I have never heard him once say he wanted to run a team or Coach.   

15 minutes ago, Archangel said:

First of all peyton can become a QB coach to start then learn the rest he already can read a defense. just give him time.

He already has the experience being a QB coach.   I don't think he would gain anything else.   I think he would put in the time and effort to lessen the chances of poor draft picks.  

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think he would ever take a Coaching job is my point with the money he has, of course he could succeed at Coaching, maybe succeed even running a team but I doubt he wants the stress of being a GM. Why would he? I think this because I have never heard him once say he wanted to run a team or Coach.   

I agree with that now.   After a year or 2 he may have the itch to do it.   

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree with that now.   After a year or 2 he may have the itch to do it.   

Don't get me wrong I think it would be neat to see him and Harbaugh here just from a fans perspective. Harbaugh is a proven Great Coach and Peyton is a tireless worker that pays attention to every detail. With that combo, a lot of Free Agents may even want to play for us. I get all of that but for now we have to roll with Pagano and Grigs and I am ok with it as long we don't stink this season. If we don't at least win the Division this season I will change my tune about Pags/Grigs.  

Totally agree give him a couple of years to play golf and do commercials then he would come back, sorry Iam not disagreeing with anybody here  I just dont think anyone would hire him to come in and be a GM or a HC or even a DB coach to start they would ask to be a QB coach so he could learn the ropes and work his way around. 

And for anyone else who would like to keep this thread going sorry to burst anyone bubble the only other way peyton would become GM or even the possiblity of being a HC in the next 2 years would be for irsay to allow peyton to buy into the colts franchise. 

11 minutes ago, Archangel said:

And for anyone else who would like to keep this thread going sorry to burst anyone bubble the only other way peyton would become GM or even the possiblity of being a HC in the next 2 years would be for irsay to allow peyton to buy into the colts franchise. 

Irsay should do it. 

:thmup:

22 minutes ago, Archangel said:

Totally agree give him a couple of years to play golf and do commercials then he would come back, sorry Iam not disagreeing with anybody here  I just dont think anyone would hire him to come in and be a GM or a HC or even a DB coach to start they would ask to be a QB coach so he could learn the ropes and work his way around. 

What ropes do you think he would need to work around?    No way he takes a QB coaching job.   

I bet if he asked Irsay about the GM spot, Grig would be gone at seasons end if not sooner.  

1 hour ago, Archangel said:

I highly doubt that Irsay would ever sell any part of the Colts. He has too many family members who hold positions with the team and I think he would want the total ownership kept in the family.

Even when Robert Irsay acquired and traded the Colts he owned 51% while Willard Keland owned 49%. While I assume Robert bought out the 49% owned by Keland I can't find any information out about how Robert ended up soul owner.

2 hours ago, Archangel said:

IMO I don't think anyone would ask Peyton to come into the league as a QB coach. If anything it would be as a offensive coordinator.

While anything is possible I don't think Peyton will end up employed by any NFL team outside an ownership level.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I highly doubt that Irsay would ever sell any part of the Colts. He has too many family members who hold positions with the team and I think he would want the total ownership kept in the family.

Even when Robert Irsay acquired and traded the Colts he owned 51% while Willard Keland owned 49%. While I assume Robert bought out the 49% owned by Keland I can't find any information out about how Robert ended up soul owner.

Irsay's daughter actually helps run the team so I agree.

6 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

I really can't wait for WK1 when we can get back to what really matters.

Lighting up the pitchforks and running the entire coaching staff out of town at the first sign of a L. 

If we lose week 1 against Detroit, I might lock my laptop away for a week.... :hide: 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Irsay's daughter actually helps run the team so I agree.

I imagine he will pass most of the control over to his daughter, which I believe would be an NFL-first having a female owner. Madden would have to put her face in the game.

I am a big fan of PM,  but there are a lot of things he would have to learn to be an effective GM.  This team is already being plagued by bad decisions by a first time GM,  bringing in another one will cause the same growing pains as he Learns how to manage the team effectively.  IF we were to get rid of grigson today, we should be looking at someone who already has the knowhow and a proven track record. I'm not sure there is anyone out there right now, as anyone who is any good should have a job already.  

That being said. I do think Peyton could be a very solid OC and eventually even a great head coach. I'd love to see him come in as early as next year (if we end up ditching Pagano and promote Chud to HC). Doubt it happens though.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think Myles is right about Manning being the GM would be better. A lot of fans wouldn't second guess him and berate him as much as another GM just because of a bad pick or trade going south.

IMO if he had 3 seasons of 11-5 and 1 8-8 some here would want to build him a statue . Some just hate Grigson & will never be happy ..

On 8/28/2016 at 8:35 AM, Indy B said:

Time to bring #18 back to run the Colts Org!

I suggested this after Peyton's neck surgery. It would have taken him several years to learn the GM craft, which I'm sure he could do very well. Not sure that Grigson will ever completely get it. We don't have the luxury of time for this team, now.

Re: the head coach, today it is more like being a CEO or COO of a business than being a Lombardi-like figure. Pagano could be an effective coach, but he's no CEO or COO (think Bill Walsh).

18 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I hate when people make it sound like being a GM of a football team is easy. There is a lot more to it than just signing, trading and drafting. You gotta overlook the cap, manage contracts, scout players, hire the correct staff, build a solid relationship with said staff, create healthy relations with players and agents, and many more things. And while GMs have a lot of people working with them (scouts, Assistant GMs, etc), any sort of personnel decision or transaction, good or bad, will fall onto them (for the most part). So whilst I love Peyton Manning (GOAT), thinking that he would do a better job at managing this football club than Grigson is just absurd.

and btw, not saying Grigson is a good GM, and not saying Peyton CAN'T be a good GM. Just that this idea, at this point, is beyond asinine 

Agreed my friend. 

I love Peyton as much as anybody, but he has zero experience in doing this. For all we know he could be a train wreck of a GM.

Also, the chance the Colts could have to fire Peyton at some point is a good enough reason to not do it. Could you imagine this forum if Peyton was fired from being the GM? 

Never going to happen

1) I don't see Peyton wanting to work for Irsay again

2) I don't see Irsay wanting to be put in a position where he would have to fire Peyton.

3) Peyton has much higher aspirations(think ownership) he has a much better shot of getting that with the Titans(blech but it is his adopted home) or the Saints( blech his hometown) 

3 hours ago, CF4L said:

Never going to happen

1) I don't see Peyton wanting to work for Irsay again

2) I don't see Irsay wanting to be put in a position where he would have to fire Peyton.

3) Peyton has much higher aspirations(think ownership) he has a much better shot of getting that with the Titans(blech but it is his adopted home) or the Saints( blech his hometown) 

Ya know, I hadn't thought of point #2.  That's a pretty fair point right thar.

• 4 months later...
On 8/29/2016 at 7:31 AM, SteelCityColt said:

Hey it's a competitive market when it comes to making asinine topics... I really can't wait for WK1 when we can get back to what really matters.

Bahahahahaha...