Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone have a feeling this will be a lop-sided Superbowl?

ReMeDy

On 1/25/2016 at 6:42 AM, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Carolina was great yesterday, partly because Arizona was flat yesterday.

Denver D hit Brady 23 times...  Brady, who gets rid of the ball quicker than anyone.

So Don't be too quick to count Denver out.

I'm still hoping for my Fairy Tale Ending.

Cam Newton is not Brady, and the Panthers offensive line has protected Cam really well against good defenses with Seattle and Arizona. 

Arizona was lucky to even be there after how bad they struggled putting Green Bay away. They deserved that score being run up on them just for that. 

I like the Panthers over Denver, simply because they're more hungry, and youth is going to be on their side. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be an ugly Super Bowl.  Carolina is 15-1 and has looked impressive in their first two playoff games.  But they still need to execute in the Super Bowl, and that is still an unknown.  I think they still need to prove themselves as champions which they may very well do come two Sundays from now. 

if the Carolina O can score early and put some pressure on the Denver O id could get interesting.  As is stands now the Denver O has been somewhat conservative this playoffs so time will tell how they react if they get behind by more than 7 points.  Peyton surely has the potential to play better than he did in the regular season.

So there really are a bunch of unknowns in the Super Bowl.  Carolina needs to show they can win on the biggest stage, Denver's D could play as well as they did in the AFCCG and time will tell how much Denver will need to rely on Peyton and will we see the Green Bay Peyton or not.

4 hours ago, Bogie said:

Cam Newton is not Brady, and the Panthers offensive line has protected Cam really well against good defenses with Seattle and Arizona. 

Arizona was lucky to even be there after how bad they struggled putting Green Bay away. They deserved that score being run up on them just for that. 

I like the Panthers over Denver, simply because they're more hungry, and youth is going to be on their side. 

They may have struggled to put Green Bay away, but Green Bay wasn't good either. Panthers have played a very light schedule if you look at the playoff teams and the Colts game that went to OT. The Broncos have played almost double the amount of playoff teams as them plus the Colts game they lost. After all this Carolina's number 2 ranked D is closer to six than it is to Denver at number 1. Panthers have had more impressive postseason wins but saying someone is "more hungry" is a little ridiculous intangible/Skip Bayless thing to say as it's the SB, everyone is hungry for it. Just a reminder, youth was on Seattle's side last year.

9 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

It could be an ugly Super Bowl.  Carolina is 15-1 and has looked impressive in their first two playoff games.  But they still need to execute in the Super Bowl, and that is still an unknown.  I think they still need to prove themselves as champions which they may very well do come two Sundays from now. 

if the Carolina O can score early and put some pressure on the Denver O id could get interesting.  As is stands now the Denver O has been somewhat conservative this playoffs so time will tell how they react if they get behind by more than 7 points.  Peyton surely has the potential to play better than he did in the regular season.

So there really are a bunch of unknowns in the Super Bowl.  Carolina needs to show they can win on the biggest stage, Denver's D could play as well as they did in the AFCCG and time will tell how much Denver will need to rely on Peyton and will we see the Green Bay Peyton or not.

Good post, sums up my feelings as well. 

While I am impressed with Carolina's record, I don't think it's as impressive as the 2007 Pats or the 2009 Colts (14-2 but threw the season away vs the Jets and Bills in the last two weeks). Both teams failed to win the SB.

Carolina games against playoff teams - won all

Seahawks

Redskins

Packers

Colts (OT) - thrown in for the sake of argument bc when healthy they are a playoff team

Denver games against playoff teams

Chiefs x2 - split W/L when Manning was injured

Vikings

Packers

Patriots

Colts - L

Steelers - L

Bengals

Denver still has the number 1 D and so much more so than Carolina that CAR is closer to sixth. 15-1 and playing in their weak division with a couple of almost losses to the Colts and Giants isn't huge. The number 1 D is 11-2 in the last 13 SB's and one of the losses is last year Seattle. White jerseys are also undefeated in the last 6 or so SBs I read.

33 minutes ago, bababooey said:

While I am impressed with Carolina's record, I don't think it's as impressive as the 2007 Pats or the 2009 Colts (14-2 but threw the season away vs the Jets and Bills in the last two weeks). Both teams failed to win the SB.

Carolina games against playoff teams - won all

Seahawks

Redskins

Packers

Colts (OT) - thrown in for the sake of argument bc when healthy they are a playoff team

Denver games against playoff teams

Chiefs x2 - split W/L when Manning was injured

Vikings

Packers

Patriots

Colts - L

Steelers - L

Bengals

Denver still has the number 1 D and so much more so than Carolina that CAR is closer to sixth. 15-1 and playing in their weak division with a couple of almost losses to the Colts and Giants isn't huge. The number 1 D is 11-2 in the last 13 SB's and one of the losses is last year Seattle. White jerseys are also undefeated in the last 6 or so SBs I read.

Carolina also beat Houston...

Denver has the #1 ranked D in yards allowed, which still baffles the hell out of me as to why that's the determing factor in how a defense is ranked. Seattle was #1 in points allowed, which is what determines W's and L's. That's the golden standard, in my opinion, as to how a defense is ranked. Carolina has played an equally as tough team defensively as Denver in Seattle, and beat them TWICE.

I don't doubt that the Denver D will hold strong for a quarter or two, but as I've stated in earlier posts, unless that Denver OL has some sort of miraculous turn around, Carolina is going to be in Peyton's face all day. Carolina's D isn't going to have to work nearly as hard against that OL as Denver D will against arguably one of the best OL's in football. Carolina won't have to blitz, and do anything out of the ordinary to get to Peyton - and they will. Denver's offense is going to be their defenses own demise. 3 and outs and turnovers is going to keep putting that Denver D back on the field and eventually that D is going to break, that's when the game is probably going to get out of hand. Plus, like we seen in the Colts game against Denver, that defense will start to lose control of their emotions when things aren't going their way. As Peyton said, any minor slip early on, and Carolina is already up 14 before the national anthem is done.

2 hours ago, Yehoodi said:

I think if it looks like it's gonna be a shoot out or they are gonna have to put up a bunch of points they might want to go to Oswielder.  

Right now I think they have Peyton playing a role that he's never done before.  Before he used to be told he has to go out and win the game and for a long time he could do that.  Now he's being told to just play carefully and do what he can without putting the ball at too much risk and his defense will *hopefully* carry the day for him.

Why do you think Brady threw 2 picks and Peyton threw none?  Brady had a decent defense but not of such high quality that he could sit back and count on it to win the game for him.  He had to do more and force more.  

Problem is that Carolina's defense is also very very good and he can't count on that defense to be a major advantage for him.  

4 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Carolina also beat Houston...

Denver has the #1 ranked D in yards allowed, which still baffles the hell out of me as to why that's the determing factor in how a defense is ranked. Seattle was #1 in points allowed, which is what determines W's and L's. That's the golden standard, in my opinion, as to how a defense is ranked. Carolina has played an equally as tough team defensively as Denver in Seattle, and beat them TWICE.

I don't doubt that the Denver D will hold strong for a quarter or two, but as I've stated in earlier posts, unless that Denver OL has some sort of miraculous turn around, Carolina is going to be in Peyton's face all day. Carolina's D isn't going to have to work nearly as hard against that OL as Denver D will against arguably one of the best OL's in football. Carolina won't have to blitz, and do anything out of the ordinary to get to Peyton - and they will. Denver's offense is going to be their defenses own demise. 3 and outs and turnovers is going to keep putting that Denver D back on the field and eventually that D is going to break, that's when the game is probably going to get out of hand. Plus, like we seen in the Colts game against Denver, that defense will start to lose control of their emotions when things aren't going their way. As Peyton said, any minor slip early on, and Carolina is already up 14 before the national anthem is done.

I pretty much agree with what you said.  Based on points allowed you are correct and while Carolina has a sixth ranked defense, they are at the top of the league in turnover differential.  Also, as we saw against Arizona, Carolina can take advantage of those turnovers.  While the Broncos defense led the lead in yards against, it was less than a point better than Carolina in points allowed per game.  Basically the Panthers have bend, but not break defense, that gets a lot of turnovers.  We all know how many likes to give away turnovers, especially these days.  At the end of the day, Manning will need to be his old self in this game to win.  If he plays like he has most of this season, I can't see the Broncos winning and more than likely, not even be competitive. 

3 minutes ago, Corndog said:

I pretty much agree with what you said.  Based on points allowed you are correct and while Carolina has a sixth ranked defense, they are at the top of the league in turnover differential.  Also, as we saw against Arizona, Carolina can take advantage of those turnovers.  While the Broncos defense led the lead in yards against, it was less than a point better than Carolina in points allowed per game.  Basically the Panthers have bend, but not break defense, that gets a lot of turnovers.  We all know how many likes to give away turnovers, especially these days.  At the end of the day, Manning will need to be his old self in this game to win.  If he plays like he has most of this season, I can't see the Broncos winning and more than likely, not even be competitive.

I don't either. As a sports bettor, I would have to see the Broncos be given 10+points for me to even consider taking them. Even then, I still think it's going to be a Seattle-style :deadhorse:

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would give up 2.5 and take Denver LOL. Denver will win by 3 or more IMO.

So much would have to go completely wrong for Carolina in order for Denver to beat them, and that's totally possible. However, I'm going to say the odds of that happening are relatively low.

3 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

So much would have to go completely wrong for Carolina in order for Denver to beat them, and that's totally possible. However, I'm going to say the odds of that happening are relatively low.

Could be but nobody picked them against the Pats either and most were saying the Pats would win by 7-10 points. Not me I picked the Broncos.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Could be but nobody picked them against the Pats either and most were saying the Pats would win by 7-10 points. Not me I picked the Broncos.

Before the game I couldn't tell you who anyone picked because I don't pay any attention to that, especially from a bettors perspective. However, I took the Broncos as well. I parlayed them and Carolina together. This Carolina team isn't anything like that New England team. Much better defense and a MUCH better OL. On top of that, Carolina won't be playing in a high-altitude environment that Denver got to enjoy against their opponents during the playoffs. That was the one major thing that gave Denver the edge and without that, I'm not sure they can keep it close.

7 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Before the game I couldn't tell you who anyone picked because I don't pay any attention to that, especially from a bettors perspective. However, I took the Broncos as well. I parlayed them and Carolina together. This Carolina team isn't anything like that New England team. Much better defense and a MUCH better OL. On top of that, Carolina won't be playing in a high-altitude environment that Denver got to enjoy against their opponents during the playoffs. That was the one major thing that gave Denver the edge and without that, I'm not sure they can keep it close.

I also had the Broncos and Panthers. Panthers are tough so we will see.

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think if it looks like it's gonna be a shoot out or they are gonna have to put up a bunch of points they might want to go to Oswielder.  

Right now I think they have Peyton playing a role that he's never done before.  Before he used to be told he has to go out and win the game and for a long time he could do that.  Now he's being told to just play carefully and do what he can without putting the ball at too much risk and his defense will *hopefully* carry the day for him.

Why do you think Brady threw 2 picks and Peyton threw none?  Brady had a decent defense but not of such high quality that he could sit back and count on it to win the game for him.  He had to do more and force more.  

Problem is that Carolina's defense is also very very good and he can't count on that defense to be a major advantage for him.  

I agree with you that a good defense allows the offense to play different and can afford to be more conservative.

I think Brady first pick though he likely throws regardless of how strong his D was, it was just a bad throw.  I think our lack of running game, our 1st and 2nd string RBs were on IR, hurt the offense, we were somewhat one dimensional on offense as the season wore on.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Quite a few people on sports radio picked the Broncos to win, infact the majority of the ones I listen to did and they were all national shows.  The debate on sports radio right now is if this will even be a good game. 

1 hour ago, Corndog said:

Quite a few people on sports radio picked the Broncos to win, infact the majority of the ones I listen to did and they were all national shows.  The debate on sports radio right now is if this will even be a good game. 

79 percent of the experts picked the patriots to win, and most of them that I heard said it was going to be a blowout. http://nflpickwatch.com/?week=20

Its been the same story all year long and the Broncos keep pulling it off. I think this is going to be a tough close game

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

wow

On 1/30/2016 at 8:42 AM, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Carolina is clearly favored to win.    

As I told you all last week,  I like being the "underdog".  I think it just adds more fuel to the Denver D to get it done.

And get it done, they did.. :applause:

21 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

This thread is classic. Much crow to be served.

On 1/30/2016 at 11:00 PM, SilentHill said:

I think the game will be lop-sided too, but just not the way the OP does, I think Denver runs away with this one, winning by at least 8.

I win! lol

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:17 AM, BleedBlu8792 said:

Cam isn't a statue like Brady is either and if Ware/Miller think they are going to rush up field every play Cam will be long gone. If the Colts OL could keep Ware/Miller in check for pretty much the whole game it's comical to believe that Denver is going have their way with one of the best OL's in football.

Denver needs to worry MUCH MUCH MORE about protecting their QB than Carolina does. One has a great OL, the other does not.

Good golly, Miss Molly!

On 1/29/2016 at 5:54 AM, Bogie said:

I like the Panthers over Denver, simply because they're more hungry, and youth is going to be on their 

haha @oldunclemark  are you having fun.

I really meant to come on here last night to leave a message for you, @Fx Stryker @jvan1973 @bayone and so many others, but I was glued to the TV trying to take it all in.  

For me it was a combination of happy (that they won) 

sad (that it could possibly be his last game),

excited (to see him lift the :lombardi: one more time)

relieved (that it was over)

I am so pleased with the end result, but mostly just  relieved.  

Off the top of my head, here are my favorite quotes from this thread (quotes may not be verbatim):

"Broncos offensive line/Panthers rush will make Manning retire at half time."

"Broncos won't be able to penetrate the Panthers line. It's possibly the best line there ever was. If their offensive line was a movie it would be 'Highlander'."

And my personal favorite:

"Cam Newton isn't a statue like Tom Brady. He will sore out of the pocket like Superman if the Broncos dare to rush him."

Lmao, no QB stands in the pocket like a statue better than Cam (his footwork is god awful, ie. he has none) and we saw what an actual pass rush can do to him last night.

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Good golly, Miss Molly!

It is what it is...

Carolina shot themselves in the foot and Denver capitalized on it and it was game over.

However, after they ruled Browns catch incomplete even after seeing it a second time, and even Mike Carey got it right, I knew how the game was going to go from there.

It's open game for a good handful of teams next year and hopefully it's the Colts that come out on top.

47 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

It is what it is...

Carolina shot themselves in the foot and Denver capitalized on it and it was game over.

However, after they ruled Browns catch incomplete even after seeing it a second time, and even Mike Carey got it right, I knew how the game was going to go from there.

It's open game for a good handful of teams next year and hopefully it's the Colts that come out on top.

Just because Mike Carey said so doesn't make it so.    Had it been ruled a complete catch that would have stood as well.