Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moncrief

mystrymaster

I really enjoyed his breakout game yesterday and I have to say that kid is quick and has good open field running ability however I can't shake the DHB comparison to him.  He catches everything with his body. I understand there is some dynamics at play as to where the pass is thrown but even things he can catch with his hands he catches with his body. I first thought this when I watched his highlight videos coming out of college and yesterday, if I remember correctly, they were all body catches.

There are plenty of receivers that have the ability to make a career in the NFL doing that, it's just not something I am used to.

Is this a just me thing or do others see this as well?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he made a great hands catch in 1 on 1 coverage with the nice little lob around the 2,great body control also,was first ruled out but after review was a catch,i was at the game near the endzone where it happened,he was smooth to his routes all day,made a few body catches going over the middle but sometimes that's expected so the ball is not exposed and defender has last second to try and make a play on it also.

So far I've seen everyone say they "love Moncrief" he has played one good game!

The hype on this board is always crazy!!

I can't wait until Moncrief has a bad game and everyone bashes him for it!!! (Obviously don't want him to but it's just funny how people react game to game.)

Reggie Wayne was considered a bust in his first couple seasons with Indy..   WR is the one position that definitely takes time to develop.    Moncrief has a chance to be a huge asset to this team, and I am all for making it happen sooner than later.   If he can "catch" the ball he will be huge.

I can see him taking snaps from Fleener if this guy cannot start catching balls with his hands.    

I really enjoyed his breakout game yesterday and I have to say that kid is quick and has good open field running ability however I can't shake the DHB comparison to him.  He catches everything with his body. I understand there is some dynamics at play as to where the pass is thrown but even things he can catch with his hands he catches with his body. I first thought this when I watched his highlight videos coming out of college and yesterday, if I remember correctly, they were all body catches.

There are plenty of receivers that have the ability to make a career in the NFL doing that, it's just not something I am used to.

it is the nature of a message board...       Nothing new

I can't wait until Moncrief has a bad game and everyone bashes him for it!!! (Obviously don't want him to but it's just funny how people react game to game.)

You can't wait? And why is that? I have heard nothing but good things about the kid from day one of camp. I think most are well aware of how inconsistent a rookie receiver can be. We have seen it with Hilton and I see no one putting him down.

That's my basic problem with him as well. He doesn't drop them, so he's not DHB, but the hands catches irk me because it's the difference between being able to throw him open for big plays, and well, not being able to. And it's a mentality, IMO. I want him to attack the ball, not wait for it to come to him. At his size and with his athleticism -- by some metrics, he's one of the five best athletes in the draft last year -- he shouldn't be coverable, really.

Lol not a bad sport like da rick lmao .. da rick is a joke. Idk why so many people are on his nuts. Moncrief will be someone in this leauge way before da rick is. Moncrief already has as many catches as da rick does and thats in one game. And da rick has been here a year longer with more starts. Let me just punt the ball in the stands to make my point. lmao

Lol not a bad sport like da rick lmao .. da rick is a joke. Idk why so many people are on his nuts. Moncrief will be someone in this leauge way before da rick is. Moncrief already has as many catches as da rick does and thats in one game. And da rick has been here a year longer with more starts. Let me just punt the ball in the stands to make my point. lmao

tumblr_inline_mgtttkMdQa1qfe5t2.png

You can't wait? And why is that? I have heard nothing but good things about the kid from day one of camp. I think most are well aware of how inconsistent a rookie receiver can be. We have seen it with Hilton and I see no one putting him down.

Becuase I love to see Colts players play awful..... Sarcasm! I also said in my last post that "of course I don't want him to".

And I'm not sure other see it the same way as you! Obviously I'm not saying your wrong but most on this board would freak out if he had a bad game! Ha like the person above said. "It's just the nature of the board." I'm used to it! I just think it's funny.

Moncreif is a bit of a project, but you can't teach his size and athletic ability. He can learn to catch with his hands, and hopefully with help from Reggie and many hours on the jugs machine he can do just that, his potential is unlimited and any time we can get him in the game, like yesterday, will only help. I think for now the Colts will scheme plays for him and get him in the game in certain situations, and the more he plays and gets comfortable the faster he will grow, he has the potential, to be like no player the Colts have ever had. To be that big and that fast is unreal, here's to hoping he can continue to improve and by the end of the season can become a real weapon in our offense, I like the way we are bringing him in the game to run a reverse or a screen, just to get the ball in his hands so that his athletic ability can take over, I can see him breaking off a long TD, before the season is over and becoming another weapon that defenses have to account for, and this will just add another dimension to our offense. I think its great that we are in a position right now, that we can be patient, and let him develop as he gets some playing time. He could easily end up being the still of the draft.

Reggie Wayne was considered a bust in his first couple seasons with Indy..   WR is the one position that definitely takes time to develop.    Moncrief has a chance to be a huge asset to this team, and I am all for making it happen sooner than later.   If he can "catch" the ball he will be huge.

I can see him taking snaps from Fleener if this guy cannot start catching balls with his hands.    

Reggie was not considered a bust after his first season! :slaphead:

Moncreif is a bit of a project, but you can't teach his size and athletic ability. He can learn to catch with his hands, and hopefully with help from Reggie and many hours on the jugs machine he can do just that, his potential is unlimited and any time we can get him in the game, like yesterday, will only help. I think for now the Colts will scheme plays for him and get him in the game in certain situations, and the more he plays and gets comfortable the faster he will grow, he has the potential, to be like no player the Colts have ever had. To be that big and that fast is unreal, here's to hoping he can continue to improve and by the end of the season can become a real weapon in our offense, I like the way we are bringing him in the game to run a reverse or a screen, just to get the ball in his hands so that his athletic ability can take over, I can see him breaking off a long TD, before the season is over and becoming another weapon that defenses have to account for, and this will just add another dimension to our offense. I think its great that we are in a position right now, that we can be patient, and let him develop as he gets some playing time. He could easily end up being the still of the draft.

It's not about learning to catch with his hands. He can catch with his hands already. Yeah, spend time with Reggie and work on the Jugs machine, but that's not the issue.

His size is really deceptive. He's listed as 6'1-6'2 and like 220 but doesn't look it at all until he catches the ball. Then he looks like a load to take down. Has good combination of speed and strength to break tackles.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46395/349/donte-moncrief-metric-allstar

When you factor in his measurables and his workout results, Moncrief looks like an all time elite NFL athlete. Hopefully that translates into results on the field, and yesterday's game is a good start.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46395/349/donte-moncrief-metric-allstar

When you factor in his measurables and his workout results, Moncrief looks like an all time elite NFL athlete. Hopefully that translates into results on the field, and yesterday's game is a good start.

Yeah you can tell big time. Especially after the catch. He just has so much more zip, wiggle and power than what I've seen from our guys. He has that fast twitch about him.

It's not about learning to catch with his hands. He can catch with his hands already. Yeah, spend time with Reggie and work on the Jugs machine, but that's not the issue.

Really, if your catching everything with your body, then your not catching with your hands, and that makes catching with your hands, the issue, whether you can catch with your hands or not, your not confident enough to catch with your hands, and that makes catching with you body instead of your hands the issue, " Once again you make no sense at all" "What part of that do you not understand"

Really, if your catching everything with your body, then your not catching with your hands, and that makes catching with your hands, the issue, whether you can catch with your hands or not, your not confident enough to catch with your hands, and that makes catching with you body instead of your hands the issue, " Once again you make no sense at all" "What part of that do you not understand"

Not sure why you're getting testy...

I have watched a ton of Donte Moncrief, going back to college. I have seen him make hands catches, so I know he can catch with his hands. As a matter of fact, almost all of his drops came on body catches, not hands catches. Like I said, I have no problem with him continuing to work on it so he can get better, but it's not about whether or not he can, or whether or not he knows how to. He can, and he does. 

I think you might be right in that he isn't as confident as he should be as a hands catcher, and he reverts back to his comfort zone when the ball is on the way. And that's why I think it's about his mentality. I want him to attack the ball while it's in the air, not wait for it to come to him, and with his size and athleticism, that will open up a ton of opportunities for him. If he had that kind of mentality, he would have gone up to make a play on the deep ball from Hasselbeck, rather than waiting for it to drop down.

Not sure why you're getting testy...

I have watched a ton of Donte Moncrief, going back to college. I have seen him make hands catches, so I know he can catch with his hands. As a matter of fact, almost all of his drops came on body catches, not hands catches. Like I said, I have no problem with him continuing to work on it so he can get better, but it's not about whether or not he can, or whether or not he knows how to. He can, and he does. 

I think you might be right in that he isn't as confident as he should be as a hands catcher, and he reverts back to his comfort zone when the ball is on the way. And that's why I think it's about his mentality. I want him to attack the ball while it's in the air, not wait for it to come to him, and with his size and athleticism, that will open up a ton of opportunities for him. If he had that kind of mentality, he would have gone up to make a play on the deep ball from Hasselbeck, rather than waiting for it to drop down.

I agree its mental, but that doesn't keep it from being the issue, Like you, I want to see him attack the ball, with his size he needs to go up an get the ball, especially in the red zone, yes his size is a huge asset, if he will aggressively go up and take the ball, like you said instead of waiting on the ball. I think this is something Reggie can help him with, Reggie is very good at extending out front of his body and snaring the ball with his hands, even when it's thrown with a lot of velocity, if Moncreif can learn this, catching in stride will make him much more dynamic, and as you said it will make it much easier to throw to him. I think you and I see a lot of things in common, but word them differently.

I watched a lot of Ole Miss games and Moncrief was great there even with a bad QB.  I graduated from Ole Miss and I had season tickets there a couple of years ago so I got to see him often.  I'm probably more biased than most on here. 

I agree its mental, but that doesn't keep it from being the issue, Like you, I want to see him attack the ball, with his size he needs to go up an get the ball, especially in the red zone, yes his size is a huge asset, if he will aggressively go up and take the ball, like you said instead of waiting on the ball. I think this is something Reggie can help him with, Reggie is very good at extending out front of his body and snaring the ball with his hands, even when it's thrown with a lot of velocity, if Moncreif can learn this, catching in stride will make him much more dynamic, and as you said it will make it much easier to throw to him. I think you and I see a lot of things in common, but word them differently.

It's a tough thing to describe, that's probably where the mix-up is coming from. I've given the wrong impression about my thoughts on Moncrief many times, because people often think I'm saying he can't catch. No, he absolutely can catch, I just want him to catch with his hands because I think it will make him a better receiver, make it easier for him to take advantage of his size and athleticism. 

As far as his tools go, I've compared him to Larry Fitzgerald and Julio Jones. Someone else compared him to AJ Green. Really significant comparisons. But the difference between him and those three is that he doesn't attack the ball. If he starts doing that, look out.