Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade for Aldon Smith?

3nk1du

We could get him for a 6th and a 7th maybe(these picks are longshots and Aldon Smith would be as well), he is on contract year also he is suspended until week 10 and SF doesn't know if re-sing him.

I know a lots of troubles but he is exceptional on the field. 

Any thoughts?

We could get him for a 6th and a 7th maybe(these picks are longshots and Aldon Smith would be as well), he is on contract year also he is suspended until week 10 and SF doesn't know if re-sing him.

Any thoughts?

I think you're crazy if you think the 49ers will give up Smith for a 6th/7th... troubles or not I'm fairly sure he has the best sacks/game ratio going at the moment. 

Any thoughts?

Dear God...

I love it when people say they know what the value of a player is.  Cracks me up.  Hint - the answer is you have no clue.

Any thoughts?

No way they let him go for a 6 or 7 as talented as he is, plus he's always in some form of trouble he'd def make an impact on the field but i feel like he would be a cancer to the locker room and organization. i would pass! 

You're right, we have plenty of reasons to trade for a pass rusher

Not trade for a knucklehead who's on his way out of the NFL soon

There's a difference

When your teams main pass rushing threat is Erik Walden it doesn't matter. As long as it's nothing above a 4th rounder 3rd at the highest I would take that deal and run. He's a knucklehead off the field, but an absolute beast on the field. Would not hurt to have his talents come playoff time, if we can find a pass rush by end of season then this is still a superbowl team.

When your teams main pass rushing threat is Erik Walden it doesn't matter. As long as it's nothing above a 4th rounder 3rd at the highest I would take that deal and run. He's a knucklehead off the field, but an absolute beast on the field. Would not hurt to have his talents come playoff time, if we can find a pass rush by end of season then this is still a superbowl team.

How do you know he'll even make it to the playoffs before he gets in trouble again?

Makes no sense to trade a time bomb just waiting to go off. Instead of enjoying the colts games you'll have fans wondering

"Did Aldon do anything to get in trouble last night?"

Any better ideas? Or are we just gonna struggle to get into the playoffs and then get picked apart by every QB cuz we have no pass rush?

We did go back to back against 2 of the best LTs in the league.  I want to see if Werner gets free next week.  I would also like to see McNary in blitz packages on the inside, and also try him on the outside rushing the passer.  Freeman may miss another game.  If so put Muamba in there and turn he and McNary loose.  Walden has been inches away about 6 times too...something has to give.

As I said in the Grigson thread...I am sure Grigs is in his office 24/7 trying to come up with something.  Not Aldon Smith.

The 49ers elected (not Aldon, which is an important distinction) to pick up his option after all of his legal troubles.  They are seeing it through with him, so the asking price is going to be MUCH higher than you proposed.  I'm sure they are willing to get rid of him if the price is right, but we're not going to mortgage the farm to do it.  If we did, I'd wonder if we took this game seriously.

Superbowl team? Have you seen our offensive coordinator? He is the one thing that can keep us out of the playoffs.

We did go back to back against 2 of the best LTs in the league.  I want to see if Werner gets free next week.  I would also like to see McNary in blitz packages on the inside, and also try him on the outside rushing the passer.  Freeman may miss another game.  If so put Muamba in there and turn he and McNary loose.  Walden has been inches away about 6 times too...something has to give.

As I said in the Grigson thread...I am sure Grigs is in his office 24/7 trying to come up with something.  Not Aldon Smith.

I was rewatching part of the game last night and noticed that they actually did have McNary line up in a 3 point stance as a DE in a sub package.  He lined up on the right side, so went against Jason Peters.  Werner at least gave Peters some trouble at times...McNary got thrown right to the ground.

Or smith from eagles

why would the eagles want to get rid of Marcus Smith already?

What does trading for Aldon Smith do for our pass rush? He's out until Week 10. How does he help us now? All that would do is scratch the itch for a blockbuster deal.

Also, there's no chance he'd be traded for a 6th round pick. Sorry. 

I haven't even mentioned the fact that he's a knucklehead who is doing his very best to ruin his career.

Lastly, we had this very same discussion last week. Nothing has changed since then.

Ive seen a few people say this and may I ask how you could ever see him as an option? He was just a first round pick he'd cost a first PLUS more.

I doubt he's worth even a second.  He's been struggling mightily.  He can't even get on the gameday roster because he can't play special teams.  Howie's already admitted that Smith is a real project.  He won't make any contributions likely until next year at the earliest.  If eagles could unload him, I think they would. They're starting to realize picking him was probably a mistake.  However, even with a realistic offer on the table (like a third round picks), they would prefer to wait till next year and see how Smith has progressed.  Trading your first round selection would get a lot of bad PR here in Phily.

I doubt he's worth even a second. He's been struggling mightily. He can't even get on the gameday roster because he can't play special teams. Howie's already admitted that Smith is a real project. He won't make any contributions likely until next year at the earliest. If eagles could unload him, I think they would. They're starting to realize picking him was probably a mistake. However, even with a realistic offer on the table (like a third round picks), they would prefer to wait till next year and see how Smith has progressed. Trading your first round selection would get a lot of bad PR here in Phily.

Any team giving up on a first round pick only 2 games into his rookie season is going to generate significant negative publicity, and rightly so.

That's definitely not going to just be a philly thing ;)

The Raiders are about ready to pack up their season. Do they have any pass rushers we could use? They might want to load up on draft picks for their next coach.

No, the Raiders are completely inept on defense, their only talents are on the offensive side of the ball. You could probably give them something for the aging and battered Darren McFadden, but it's largely a team that needs everything and has nothing. More likely would be to send aging players their way for draft picks, as the team has no idea how to build.

How do you know he'll even make it to the playoffs before he gets in trouble again?

Makes no sense to trade a time bomb just waiting to go off. Instead of enjoying the colts games you'll have fans wondering

"Did Aldon do anything to get in trouble last night?"

As of right now, he is scheduled to be back a few weeks before the playoffs so that's what I'm going off of, I don't play the what if game and I don't judge people off of past mistakes. Ever think maybeee he learned from his mess ups and doesn't wanna ruin his career? Can't be so scared to take a risk on talent.

Superbowl team? Have you seen our offensive coordinator? He is the one thing that can keep us out of the playoffs.

Ya I seen him dialing up a great Running game, I've also seen Andrew throw a couple pics and trent lose a couple balls. Is that Peps fault too? I also seen Werner flat on his face 90% of the night. We're 2 weeks into the season, the offense has plenty of time to figure things out. The pass rush..not so much. The talent is not there and that will be our demise.

We did go back to back against 2 of the best LTs in the league. I want to see if Werner gets free next week. I would also like to see McNary in blitz packages on the inside, and also try him on the outside rushing the passer. Freeman may miss another game. If so put Muamba in there and turn he and McNary loose. Walden has been inches away about 6 times too...something has to give.

As I said in the Grigson thread...I am sure Grigs is in his office 24/7 trying to come up with something. Not Aldon Smith.

Last I thought, come playoff time you're usually going up against the best of the best. So are we just gonna pretend everything's all good if we have a decent rush against bad blocking teams? Not how this works. We have no one on this roster right now that is a constant threat in the pass rush. Wait until all the good QBs start heating up mid season..we'll get picked apart.

Last I thought, come playoff time you're usually going up against the best of the best. So are we just gonna pretend everything's all good if we have a decent rush against bad blocking teams? Not how this works. We have no one on this roster right now that is a constant threat in the pass rush. Wait until all the good QBs start heating up mid season..we'll get picked apart.

You are right.  We need to make a deal (if we do) that makes sense.  We do not need to give up a number 1-3 round pick because we panic.

I look for more out of Newsome and Werner maybe starting this Sunday.  I am fine with a deal that does not morgage the house....

No, the Raiders are completely inept on defense, their only talents are on the offensive side of the ball. You could probably give them something for the aging and battered Darren McFadden, but it's largely a team that needs everything and has nothing. More likely would be to send aging players their way for draft picks, as the team has no idea how to build.

They have this guy named Khalil Mack, you may have heard of him...