Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

biggest surprise player from camp

CR91

I think in terms of "didn't expect anything out of him" but got a lot better then expected I would say Tony Washington.  

I'm pretty sure he made some plays against the Jets and he's made some plays in TC.

Excited about him maybe spending a year on our PS and being our WR#5 next year.

Of course the problem is the more play he makes, the more attention he draws and the more likely it is that another team might steal him away from our PS.  

I want to say there where plenty of other guys that I'm pleased to see improvement out of.  Rogers and Werner.  Didn't know what to expect from Moncrief but happy he's performed so well.  Same with Mewhort & Newsome.

Judging solely on the first pre-season game & not attending any camps & seeing any of the new guys first hand, I am super excited about Muamba this season,

plus the reports that the QB's are liking Harrison are encouraging for the O-line making some progress

I was thinking that based on how the teammates rated him but he didn't seem to do so hot in the pre-season game.  Besides the early snap, when Holmes went out so did our run blocking.  

I was thinking that based on how the teammates rated him but he didn't seem to do so hot in the pre-season game.  Besides the early snap, when Holmes went out so did our run blocking.

Meh, yeah Harrison's performance has been scrutinized ad nauseam in other threads, so I'm not going to go anything further than to say that if the reports are true that the QB's are feeling confident with the guy it sounds good to me...

It sucks Holmes rolled his ankle & is hurt, but Harrison getting 1st team reps during the next few pre-season games will only be a good thing going forward in developing some depth.

Holmes has the history of leg problems not sure the surprise after his college injuries and 2 yrs of injuries here what the surprise is.

Muamba stood out to me although I'm afraid he might be a click slow to be really good.

The biggest surprise was Chris Rainey that dude killed any chance of a career in about 20 mins of a totally meaningless game

Holmes has the history of leg problems not sure the surprise after his college injuries and 2 yrs of injuries here what the surprise is.

Muamba stood out to me although I'm afraid he might be a click slow to be really good.

The biggest surprise was Chris Rainey that dude killed any chance of a career in about 20 mins of a totally meaningless game

I know Holmes came in with the ankle injury but I read that he started every game his senior year.  Did he have problems prior to his senior year?

What did Rainey do????

On Colts.com mainpage there was an article about who was getting noticed and one name I have not seen on this forum was Marcus Burley, CB.  With the merry go round of CB injuries/sitting out, it's usually Burley whom they move in there to get reps with the 1st team.

Interesting for a guy that has bounced around on a couple of practice squads since going UD in 2012.

On Colts.com mainpage there was an article about who was getting noticed and one name I have not seen on this forum was Marcus Burley, CB.  With the merry go round of CB injuries/sitting out, it's usually Burley whom they move in there to get reps with the 1st team.

Interesting for a guy that has bounced around on a couple of practice squads since going UD in 2012.

I think I remember reading that Moncrief was burning him in practice. 

Really? He lost his mind on twitter. Made all kinds of crazy comments threw Boom under the bus said he didn't break any #$*g rules he should be playing on and on.

yeah crazy kids & their twitters...

always makes me think of a segment I heard Herm do once where he was basically screaming "DON'T HIT SEND, YOU BETTER NOT HIT THAT BUTTON, DON'T SEND!!!" when discussing what he would tell players who were on twitter a bunch...

Herm cracks me up...

I'm not sure you can blame Holmes for his ankle injury.    From what I could tell, people fell on him.   It's not like he planted wrong and he just rolled it.

Hey,  stuff happens.

I know Holmes came in with the ankle injury but I read that he started every game his senior year.  Did he have problems prior to his senior year?.

I thought it was common knowledge that he struggled with ankle injuries his senior year in and out of the line up. USC really struggled without him etc. This is from stampeded blue after last years injury. Then below is bleacher report article I know it is bleacher report.

Khaled Holmes carted off of the field with apparent right leg injury.

— Tyler Brooke (@T_Brookey) July 30, 2013

The injury occurred during the team's afternoon practice in pads. Holmes was hobbled by a very nasty ankle injury last year at USC.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1598592-khaled-holmes-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-usc-c

Here is a great article singing his praise which I hope he lives up to plus a great pic of him as a youngster with a great afro http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013kholmes.php

Another great article compares him to Alex Mack really sounds like he may be the guy Grigs says he is if we can get him to stay healthy. Hopefully his senior year and last year were just a coincident. The injury vs the Jets could have happened to anyone but the thing is it keeps happening to him. I hope it was a fluke it sounds like the staff knew he needed a year to get right after the injury in camp. This article is really high on the guy compares him to Alex Mack. That would be great if he could stay healthy and anchor the O Line for the next 10 years. I just start to worry when big guys start getting leg injuries in bunches.  http://nflmocks.com/2012/08/13/khaled-holmes-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

I think I remember reading that Moncrief was burning him in practice. 

Am I the only one that was a bit worried after watching Moncrief make his only kick return? It seemed like he kind of stopped instead of running through the contact. I am not a big fan of putting a guy back there that has no experience returning K's. I think we would be better off letting him sit right behind Reggie and soak up as much as he can as a WR. We have plenty of guys to return Kickoffs heck I'd guess at least half are touch backs anyway.

Meh I don't put a lot into what players do in regards to production in TC but I liked what I saw out of Herron, He showed the ability to create good yardage even if the hole that it looked like he was supposed to go through was closed

I'm not sure you can blame Holmes for his ankle injury.    From what I could tell, people fell on him.   It's not like he planted wrong and he just rolled it.

Hey,  stuff happens.

I am not blaming him at all could have happened to anyone just seems like that happens to him a lot his senior year his first year with the team his first series of his first preseason game. Maybe I am reading into it.

I have read all the reports on the guy just posted 2 of them sounds like exactly what we need anchoring our  O Line for the next 10 years but he has to stay healthy. That has not been easy for him the last 2 now going on 3 yrs.

I guess I am a Henoc Muamba fan.  He proved he was a keeper with 11 tackles even though he played a lot of minutes/snaps.  From inside out...up and down...he was all over the field.

You can also send a shout out to Joe Reitz.  Joe was a +3.3 by PFF standards in 43 snaps.  I still have zero clue why he is not starting at LG.  AC and Reitz play extremely well together!!

I am not blaming him at all could have happened to anyone just seems like that happens to him a lot his senior year his first year with the team his first series of his first preseason game. Maybe I am reading into it.

I have read all the reports on the guy just posted 2 of them sounds like exactly what we need anchoring our  O Line for the next 10 years but he has to stay healthy. That has not been easy for him the last 2 now going on 3 yrs.

Here's a strange but true story.

Hall of Fame offensive tackle Anthony Munoz might be the best OL to ever play the game.

But in his 4 years at USC,  he only played one full season.    He hurt a knee three different times.    Underwent surgery 3 different times.    I think one was full blown surgery and the others may have been arthroscopic.    But he just didn't play in that many games.

Was he injury prone,  or just the victim of bad luck.

Cincinnati surprised some by taking Munoz 3rd overall.   They did their homework and saw that someone was falling on to his leg and that it wasn't an issue with him or his body breaking down.

During his career,  Munoz had no knee injuries.    Not one.    Didn't miss many (any?) games.    Was rarely hurt.

Sometimes it's just impossible to tell what's going to happen.......

I'm as disappointed as anyone about Holmes....   he could make a huge difference in the quality of our offense,  not just our running game.      So, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best....

Hall of Fame offensive tackle Anthony Munoz might be the best OL to ever play the game.

But in his 4 years at USC,  he only played one full season.    He hurt a knee three different times.    Underwent surgery 3 different times.    I think one was full blown surgery and the others may have been arthroscopic.    But he just didn't play in that many games.

Cincinnati surprised some by taking Munoz 3rd overall.   They did their homework and saw that someone was falling on to his leg and that it wasn't an issue with him or his body breaking down.

During his career,  Munoz had no knee injuries.    Not one.    Didn't miss many (any?) games.    Was rarely hurt.

I'm as disappointed as anyone about Holmes....   he could make a huge difference in the quality of our offense,  not just our running game.      So, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best....

Great example NCF.  He is my LT of all time.  

Don't look at his hands though :)

Great story I totally agree surprised you left out his threat as a receiver I am pretty sure he had like 5 td's scoring machine. I used to follow the Bengals a bit before we got our Colts closest team to my home. 

You can't predict what is going to happen but history is a pretty good indicator if Holmes can't make it through the year I think it is a good thing we are getting Harrison some work early in camp.

I am probably in the minority but I like the idea of building an O Line with young guys in the draft.

I like Thorton and think he is going to be an asset this year despite how he graded out last.

I like the Mewhort pick although looking back I still love Gabe Jackson. I am just glad the first pick was O Line as I expected it to be was hoping to drop back and go Jackson or Cyril add a pick later but we got a quality guy who's a little more versatile. Although as it turns out we need a LG .  

Holmes looks the part and sounds great. Get those 3 working together and lets get this thing rolling.  We got Castonzo in 2011 and Cherlius has proved a good pick up. The O Line is taking shape. Reitz Harrison Louis Nixon are solid back ups. 

I think the O Line could really come together. I think the team could really come together this year and there is not a lot in our way in the AFC.  

Check out the story in O Line training on what Holmes did this summer basically what Munoz did worked harder than everyone else what all greats do. I love Khaled the more I read.

That is a good thing about Holmes too none of his injuries have been to the knees super wrap those ankles and get it on. I like the kid a lot. Love what I have read about him. He is willing to put in the work obviously. I like what I saw all 7 snapseveryone has to start some where. I really think this thing is heading in the right direction.

Great story I totally agree surprised you left out his threat as a receiver I am pretty sure he had like 5 td's scoring machine. I used to follow the Bengals a bit before we got our Colts closest team to my home. 

You can't predict what is going to happen but history is a pretty good indicator if Holmes can't make it through the year I think it is a good thing we are getting Harrison some work early in camp.

I am probably in the minority but I like the idea of building an O Line with young guys in the draft.

I like Thorton and think he is going to be an asset this year despite how he graded out last.

I like the Mewhort pick although looking back I still love Gabe Jackson. I am just glad the first pick was O Line as I expected it to be was hoping to drop back and go Jackson or Cyril add a pick later but we got a quality guy who's a little more versatile. Although as it turns out we need a LG .  

Holmes looks the part and sounds great. Get those 3 working together and lets get this thing rolling.  We got Castonzo in 2011 and Cherlius has proved a good pick up. The O Line is taking shape. Reitz Harrison Louis Nixon are solid back ups. 

I think the O Line could really come together. I think the team could really come together this year and there is not a lot in our way in the AFC.  

I like building through youth/draft as well.

But, after this year, I expect the team will cut Thomas.    And when we do,  I expect/want that they'll sign a solid mid-level interior OL for quality depth.     I don't want to draft an OL in 2015, because they rarely contribute to the level needed as a rookie.

So,  get a solid veteran guy that can do a good job backing up Mewhort, Holmes, Thornton, who I expect to be the interior of the Colts offense for hopefully a decade to come.

Next year we need a veteran, not a rookie....   someone that can step in and deliver quality snaps.

The year after we can draft a RT as the eventual replacement to Cherilus.

Just one fan thinking ahead....    far head!    :thmup:

Great example NCF.  He is my LT of all time.  

Don't look at his hands though :)

From my days in the media, I've met Anthony a couple of times over the years....   beyond huge.

And, happy to report, a very nice guy.

But,  you're right....  he's got some badly mangled fingers that go in about 7 different directions all at once!

Check out the story in O Line training on what Holmes did this summer basically what Munoz did worked harder than everyone else what all greats do. I love Khaled the more I read.

That is a good thing about Holmes too none of his injuries have been to the knees super wrap those ankles and get it on. I like the kid a lot. Love what I have read about him. He is willing to put in the work obviously. I like what I saw all 7 snapseveryone has to start some where. I really think this thing is heading in the right direction.

put casts on them during the game, larry Wilson of the old football cardinals, played safety with 2 broken arms in casts, but that was the old days, before lawsuits

I like building through youth/draft as well.

But, after this year, I expect the team will cut Thomas.    And when we do,  I expect/want that they'll sign a solid mid-level interior OL for quality depth.     I don't want to draft an OL in 2015, because they rarely contribute to the level needed as a rookie.

So,  get a solid veteran guy that can do a good job backing up Mewhort, Holmes, Thornton, who I expect to be the interior of the Colts offense for hopefully a decade to come.

Next year we need a veteran, not a rookie....   someone that can step in and deliver quality snaps.

The year after we can draft a RT as the eventual replacement to Cherilus.

Just one fan thinking ahead....    far head!    :thmup:

Thomas has to go. We need a guy like him you can plug him into any of the 3 positions and not miss much. Add depth, competition and maybe some mentoring.  We are pretty young be nice to get a vet that is used to winning.

I think Harrison has potential to be around a while. His previous experience at LG would indicate he could provide depth at the interior line spots. He is getting snaps and probably won't see anything else with the Holmes injury.. If everything falls into place add a piece or two this O Line isn't that far from being pretty good. IF IF IF of course.

I had the feeling Grigs thought he might have thought he got them again with Ulrich this year. He is starting to show a knack for uncovering guys particularly if Muamba keeps it up.McNary Freeman...... I'd be surprised if we don't get a couple from this undrafted group 

As far as the draft goes I would not be looking for a O Lineman early next yr. IF IF and IF work out.  WE have Cherilus until 17 right? But I would not have been looking for a WR this year either.

I guess I am a Henoc Muamba fan.  He proved he was a keeper with 11 tackles even though he played a lot of minutes/snaps.  From inside out...up and down...he was all over the field.

You can also send a shout out to Joe Reitz.  Joe was a +3.3 by PFF standards in 43 snaps.  I still have zero clue why he is not starting at LG.  AC and Reitz play extremely well together!!

I am with you with Reitz is seems like all the stats on the O Line he grades out as one of the better OL on the team.

He was named the starter at RG in 2012 then the knee went out. It would seem it would keep with the philosophy when it comes to rookies and starting.

At least some real competition I guess something has to be there. Maybe he is to valuable as a back up T to start at G. With Nixon out Ulrich gone for the year we are pretty thin outside.