Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cincinnatti at Indianapolis (8-30-12)

oldunclemark

Thursday night.........comes up quickly now...

....I think Andrew Luck and the first string should play the first half.... ....

There's 10 days after this game to the season opener and we need the work

..I think the theory of playing non starters in the final pre-season game is fine if you have a veteran team.

We dont.

Luck and the offense need live game time before we head to Chicago.....and the defense is obviously a work i progress.....plus..we have a new corner....

we dont have the luxury of 2 weeks off

Thursday night.........comes up quickly now...

....I think Andrew Luck and the first string should play the first half.... ....

There's 10 days after this game to the season opener and we need the work

..I think the theory of playing non starters in the final pre-season game is fine if you have a veteran team.

We dont.

Luck and the offense need live game time before we head to Chicago.....and the defense is obviously a work i progress.....plus..we have a new corner....

I would definitely go light on Luck's work. Depending on waiver wire pickups and our plethora of injuries....may be a game time decision....after get to 75 tomorrow....not much time for evaluation....11 cuts today....what 5 more tomorrow....no 'true surprises...

Stanton needs to get more reps after last week.....gonna be interesting Mark.

Hmmm...I'm iffy on how much Luck should play. So far, the QB and receivers have been a bright spot on offense. I'd rather they play a series or two and call it a night. I'm more in favor of having a healthy squad at this point. The game against the Redskins changed my mind on how much starters should play in the preseason.

This is your last chance to get a good look at who can bring something to the table

For you on the 53 man roster. No sense in playing starters the whole first have when you have decisions to make on players that's on the bubble. The starters will stay in as long as Andy Dalton and co. Stay in. Which might just be a quarter

At most. He may not even see the field.

You dont want that.....he needs to play against live foes...He's barely played 6 quarters with teammates who are brand new to him.

the Possibility of injury is remote if he plays with the first team..

Keep in mind that every series he plays..he knows more and (hopefully) gets better.

Cant limit him. he can handle it

Play 12 for 0. After what happened in the Redskins game, no need to risk injury to the Franchise. I'm sure Stanton can hold the fort lol.

We've got to forget about risking injury to a guy we expect to play 16 times..

He needs the playing time to get used to his new teammates....

Only vet QBs should sit out the final pre-season game

I sure dont want him going to Chicago not having played in 2 weeks and only 6 quarters all fall..

How does that help us do anything but take a whipping

We've got to forget about risking injury to a guy we expect to play 16 times..

He needs the playing time to get used to his new teammates....

Only vet QBs should sit out the final pre-season game

I sure dont want him going to Chicago not having played in 2 weeks and only 6 quarters all fall..

How does that help us do anything but take a whipping

He has two more weeks of practice to get to know his teammates better and get into chemistry. Sure, if you want him to play, why not. But if he God forbid gets blindsided by big Ray, which is not at all unlikely, and hurts his ankle or something, then maybe he won't be ready to go in Chicago, and even if he is, him being out would take away from the aforementioned chemistry time. If he does play it should be limited. That would be a nice compromise.

Me and a buddy are going. We snagged a pair of $4 tickets, and the final bill somehow rang up to $30 >_<

If the offensive line is holding up and not getting Luck killed I'd like to see the starting offense play most of the first half. Couldn't hurt anything.

I think the starting defense SHOULD play the whole first half, if for no other reason than to help get Davis into the swing. Really would hate for him to be out there in Week 1 trying to get into the system. I know he will be, but the less he is, the better.

I don't think the fact that Luck is a rookie should make any difference with how much he plays on Thursday night. The 4th game is to look at your bottom of the roster guys. Injuries are a concern for not just Luck but any other front-line guy and with the injuries suffered to this point, I think you minimize the risk. Besides Luck seems pretty well in-synch with his receivers as it is - how much more will that change by playing a full half?

I don't think the fact that Luck is a rookie should make any difference with how much he plays on Thursday night. The 4th game is to look at your bottom of the roster guys. Injuries are a concern for not just Luck but any other front-line guy and with the injuries suffered to this point, I think you minimize the risk. Besides Luck seems pretty well in-synch with his receivers as it is - how much more will that change by playing a full half?

'J'

I do minimize the risk when there's 10 days to the opener

Injury just doesnt trump continuity.....which is our No.1 enemy right now

Our O-line is struggling and they need work against a real foe...I bet they play

Our QB has played only 6 quarters with his new team and teammates.....we need more work together to beat the Bears..

The 1st string all played last Saturday, right? That was OK.

..an injury that wont heal in 10 days wont heal in 2 weeks.

If a guy is hurt NOW...hold him out.

But dont sit healthy rookies and newcomers 2 weeks in front of a tough game. Its not logical

'J'

I do minimize the risk when there's 10 days to the opener

Injury just doesnt trump continuity.....which is our No.1 enemy right now

Our O-line is struggling and they need work against a real foe...I bet they play

Our QB has played only 6 quarters with his new team and teammates.....we need more work together to beat the Bears..

The 1st string all played last Saturday, right? That was OK.

..an injury that wont heal in 10 days wont heal in 2 weeks.

If a guy is hurt NOW...hold him out.

But dont sit healthy rookies and newcomers 2 weeks in front of a tough game. Its not logical

Your view of injuries is funny.

This will go nowhere. You have your views and I have mine and I suspect neither will change each other's mind.

I want to see our TE's way more active, would like to see Fleener and Allen make some big strides before Chicagogame comes. I just have a feeling Luck is going to be running for his life in Chicago, i think Peppers is going to destroy our Left side all day.

I want to see our TE's way more active, would like to see Fleener and Allen make some big strides before Chicagogame comes. I just have a feeling Luck is going to be running for his life in Chicago, i think Peppers is going to destroy our Left side all day.

I'm sure we're holding back some of the formations involving the TEs until the first game....

..but I have to agree..Bears dont blitz much but Peppers is the reason for that....

OK: I am now a new referee in the NFL flag...and I just saw this red flag thrown.....HMMMM! HMMMM! Is that the one they call a challenge flag, or does it stop race cars?

Since I was just told via tweet by Jim Irsay it is a challenge flag, I as a ref in the NFL shall now respond:

"After further review, Andrew Luck Plays ALL 4 quarters with backup LINEMAN!" At least I THINK that tweet was from Irsay.

OK....maybe just a 'tad sarcastic.....' GO COLTS!

I'm sure we're holding back some of the formations involving the TEs until the first game....

..but I have to agree..Bears dont blitz much but Peppers is the reason for that....

Yes i hope so, i'm hoping once the season starts to hopefully see a dynamic Connection between Fleener and Luck, and for Dwyane Allen to continue to impress as well on his blocking and receiving ability.

The ONLY Positive about our Starters playing, is we'll be against their #2's.

But at the same time, that's a Negative.

Those are the ones trying to make the team as well. So, who's to say that one of those boneheads try to impress the D-Coordinator & hit one of our Starters Hard and Injures them? Yes, we're a young team & could use the time....but you have to weigh every option before making a decision

Im not against the starting O Line playing because obviously they need it Im not worried about an injury there (that actually may improve our O Line, Bring in Tepper and sit Justice and his slow feet and inability to stay balanced down). As far as Andrew playing, he doesnt need it as bad as some are making it out to be, He is already making that offense look better then what they really have been and in some cases will be.

There's compelling arguments to sit the starters or play them a couple of series or maybe a quarter. The guys who need to play the most are the ones battling to make the roster. The outcome of the game is meaningless, of course. With the injuries we've had already, I'd be cautious and start the regular season as healthy as possible. Extra practice days between this game and the season opener are more valuable than limited game action, IMO.

The offense is fine. Maybe the offensive line needs time, but Luck and the passing game have been clicking on all cylinders. I'd give Luck maybe two series on offense, then keep the starting offensive line out there for most of the second quarter.

As for Vontae Davis, it's not even certain that he'll play. He very well might, but he basically has three days to get in the playbook and be ready to go out on the field. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets held out of Thursday's game.

I'm much more interested in the competition for the final 10 or 15 roster spots than I am in what our first team offense does, or what our new corner does.

Me and a buddy are going. We snagged a pair of $4 tickets, and the final bill somehow rang up to $30 >_<

If the offensive line is holding up and not getting Luck killed I'd like to see the starting offense play most of the first half. Couldn't hurt anything.

I think the starting defense SHOULD play the whole first half, if for no other reason than to help get Davis into the swing. Really would hate for him to be out there in Week 1 trying to get into the system. I know he will be, but the less he is, the better.

Clearly you were caught by the "convenience charges."

They should pick and choose who starts more carefully. I could see Wayne not playing and Whalen starting in his place for instance. Same thing with certain players on D, as long as it helps the coaches evaluate the talent we have. Davis can be in all game, or just a few defensive series; I don't think it'll affect his play too much.

I'd rather we just not really play any of our starters, MAYBE 2 series at most. Sure I want to watch some of my favorite guys, but I'd rather have as many people healthy for the season opener as possible.

Cant start rookies in Chicago....with so little playing time and expect anything bt a beat down..

I dont care about watching them.....Our offense obviously badly needs 'live' work..

..and there's 10 days off after Thursday....

I'd bet you'll see the No.1s in the first half..I dont ewant washington to be the last real warmup...That wasn't good

Cant start rookies in Chicago....with so little playing time and expect anything bt a beat down..

I dont care about watching them.....Our offense obviously badly needs 'live' work..

..and there's 10 days off after Thursday....

I'd bet you'll see the No.1s in the first half..I dont ewant washington to be the last real warmup...That wasn't good

I think you are on the wrong side of this one. Straight from the horses mouth - Luck told Dan Dakich yesterday that he does not expect to play very much at all against the Bengals.