Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Griff Whalen

Douzer

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schools lie/stretch/inflate players quite often...

that can't be more true...

When I was in Grade 9 (freshman for US), I was 5'7 and they said I was 5'10.

Now I coach football, and the coaches all admit they stretch it whether it be a college coach or a high school coach.

Whalen is 6-1 and has big arms and shoulders.

Griff isn't 6'1".... he was listed as that on the Stanford roster, but he's not.

Griff is 5'11".... not only is he that on the Colts roster, but when ESPN was at the Stanford pro day, that's what he was measured at right in front of cameras.

5'11".... not 6'1"....

He's more smurf than anything.... he's closer to Wes Welker than anyone else..... but not nearly as fast/quick...

Hope that clarifies...

Griff isn't 6'1".... he was listed as that on the Stanford roster, but he's not.

Griff is 5'11".... not only is he that on the Colts roster, but when ESPN was at the Stanford pro day, that's what he was measured at right in front of cameras.

5'11".... not 6'1"....

He's more smurf than anything.... he's closer to Wes Welker than anyone else..... but not nearly as fast/quick...

Hope that clarifies...

Ok, but he looks bigger than Welker, I mean size wise not height.

Ok, but he looks bigger than Welker, I mean size wise not height.

He's taller than Welker.... sorry I wasn't more clear.

I was thinking more in terms of style of play than anything else.... that's who I compare him to, but a very poor man's Wes Welker. If he compared more favorably, he would have been drafted as Welker was. There's a reason why Griff was an undrafted free agent.

He's taller than Welker.... sorry I wasn't more clear.

I was thinking more in terms of style of play than anything else.... that's who I compare him to, but a very poor man's Wes Welker. If he compared more favorably, he would have been drafted as Welker was. There's a reason why Griff was an undrafted free agent.

Welker wasn't drafted either.

Really? I thought Miami did.

I know New England traded a #2 and a #7 for him.

Hey, learn something every day!

Thanks....

p.s. -- guess my head has been way more into Stanford and far away the NFL than I thought!

The Chargers were his first team... they cut him, and then he signed with Miami instead of going to their practice squad, and killed New England a couple of times and that is partially what made Belichick want him.

football players aren't small...they might be short but they aren't small. I've seen MJD in person and he's short but he isn't some frail individual. I think Griff had a decent game I think it would be more telling if he was in there more with the 1's like they've done with Brazill & Hilton and even Adams. I have a feeling he's going to be on the PS if no one picks him up.

You know what...this Griff Whalen kid has grown on me. He has definitely outplayed Sambrano, Ross and Cosby for sure. He is our only offensive weapon once our starters go out the game. The kid may not have all the measurables but he does seem to have the "it" factor. Moxy as a mug. At the very least he deserves a chance to see what he can do playing a few series with the first stringers. I am pulling for him to make the squad. With Austin Collie's concussion issue, we need a guy that can fill his role for us.

Anyone who thinks Collie is not making the roster is out of their mind. No way Whalen or Adams makes the roster and Collie does not

Collie probably will make it but he shouldn't really. Not a talent issue but a health one. Colts would be putting that kid's life at risk. I've seen him stretched out on that field way too much. Saw it once in person. Scary. Colts need to do the right thing for Collie's sake.

Collie probably will make it but he shouldn't really. Not a talent issue but a health one. Colts would be putting that kid's life at risk. I've seen him stretched out on that field way too much. Saw it once in person. Scary. Colts need to do the right thing for Collie's sake.

First of all, this last concussion was a total freak accident, anyone who takes a knee to the head is going to be concussed.

First of all, this last concussion was a total freak accident, anyone who takes a knee to the head is going to be concussed.

The guy has been concussed at least three times that we know about in the past 2 years. He is more susceptible and vulnerable to "freak accidents" because of that fact. I respect that you are probably a Collie fan and I like alot him as well. However, I don't want to see him continue to be put at risk. I cringe watching him get hit. Thought the kid was dead when I saw him laid out in the Jags game 2 years ago.

The guy has been concussed at least three times that we know about in the past 2 years. He is more susceptible and vulnerable to "freak accidents" because of that fact. I respect that you are probably a Collie fan and I like alot him as well. However, I don't want to see him continue to be put at risk. I cringe watching him get hit. Thought the kid was dead when I saw him laid out in the Jags game 2 years ago.

he seems to be caught in some pretty awkward situations when getting hit...if you watch the hit from the steelers game Larry Foote almost breaks his neck it was a bad place to be in but the hits he's taken haven't been minor shots to the head.

Colts putting Collie's life at risk? Come on , what about personal responsibility? If the Colts cut Collie,it won't do him any favors if he still wants to play. He could probably play for almost any team he wanted, but for less pay, the new team would use his concussion issues as a excuse for less pay.

I like him but he might have a hard time making the final roster just because of depth at the WR spot. In the past we have only kept four or five WRs and while I know this is a new era unless one of them is kept to be a return man mainly most teams don't keep more than five WRs. Right now I'd say our top five are Wayne, Collie, Avery, Hilton, and Brazil. I don't see any of them getting cut and Whalen isn't a return guy so I am not sure if we will keep him. Now with that said there are some very really injury concerns with Austin Collie so that might open up another roster spot for a WR. Even if that roster spot is there Whalen might not be the guy. While Whalen has been very impressive Adams has been the one playing with the first teamers and looks to be the next WR on the depth chart behind the top five. Adams hasn't done bad either. He hasn't stood out like Whalen but I don't think people are watching him as close as they are watching Whalen either. Frankly I kinda hope we hope we play the starters a little bit on Thursday and we play Whalen with the first unit so they can get an honest look at him. I like what I am seeing from Whalen I just think the Colts like what they are seeing from Adams as well. Honestly what might decide this might have nothing to do with WR it might be which one is better at special teams.

Just heard about that, what a bummer w all these injuries already!!!!!!

Agree it sucks...but what else do you expect? Things haven't been right on the injury front with this team since the Super Bowl in 2009. I'm telling you, some loon in New Orleans is still sticking pins in a voo doo doll wearing a Colts helmet. Stabbing the livin stuffing out the thing...ease up voo doo boy..yall won...got daggit!

:lol: