Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Collie Article [Merge]

BuildtheMonster1285

It was definitely a good article read.

Well hopefully the Austin does not roll snake eyes and end up like guys who cannot enjoy their post NFL career because their brain is the brain of a 60 year old at 30ish. I hope he can put this concussion stuff behind him, have a good career, and then enjoy life after NFL, but I do not think he will last much longer in the NFL.

I am surprised that his dad has not even had a conversation about this with his son. I know if it was my kid I would at least have a honest conversation about it.

I found this article over at CBS sports. Its an interview with Scott Collie, Austin's dad, about his sons concussions:

http://www.cbssports...es-like-his-dad

What do you all think?

That was a very well written piece. Not everything is black and white, no matter what idio... er, I mean people like Wells from StampedeBlue want you to believe.

Obviously no one wants to let anyone hurt themselves on purpose. Was it Kravitz who also recently wrote a story almost chastising the Colts for even considering letting Collie play? He said they'd be totally irresponsible.

Well, how about some of the people that you work with who are obese. They're heading for heart disease, diabetes, etc. Do their employers have the right to tell them to lose weight?

I really think it would be a shame to let Austin ruin his career and post-NFL life, by continuing beyond his physical ability, but fortunately some players shake off their concussions. Look at Aaron Rodgers, a couple of seasons ago he had concussion issues as well, look where he is now :) Just have to hope for the best

Great find... I really enjoyed reading it!

It seems when a guy has one concussion they just can't stop getting them these days. I don't want to say it but I feel Austin Collie's days are numbered. We were at the Eagles game when the first concussion occurred. It was scary to watch and the Eagles fans were so evil about it all... classless is all I can say.

My step-son's favorite player is Austin Collie. He even has a throwback jersey from the game we saw when it all started.

That was a very well written piece. Not everything is black and white, no matter what idio... er, I mean people like Wells from StampedeBlue want you to believe.

Obviously no one wants to let anyone hurt themselves on purpose. Was it Kravitz who also recently wrote a story almost chastising the Colts for even considering letting Collie play? He said they'd be totally irresponsible.

Well, how about some of the people that you work with who are obese. They're heading for heart disease, diabetes, etc. Do their employers have the right to tell them to lose weight?

If those emplyoers happened to be the NFL, they'll probably fatten them up more lol.

The media outrage over Collie's concussion is perplexing to me....especially considering how most concussions still go unreported and everyone playing with exceedingly rare exception (18 out of 19 NFL brains tested positive for CTE) still winds up with noticeable brain damage. Yet, Austin's the guy who needs to be protected from himself. Show me one big hit Chris Henry (rest in peace) took, and he tested positive for the same brain damage people are afraid of Collie getting. I've got news for you: unless Austin's a genetic freak, he's already got brain damage. And so do most currently active players. Where's the calls for Ray Lewis to retire? or the many morbidly obese DT's?

Then again, I shouldn't be perplexed at all at how Collie's concussions are being reported, because the same thing happens when it comes to players testing positive for steroids/PED's. Give all the attention to the most obvious cases, and it creates the illusion that the most obvious cases are the only exceptions to the rule. It paints the picture that the unpleasant aspects of the sport aren't shockingly common, but rather rare occurrences that demand fan outrage. I can't believe people still fall for it.

The bottom line is that if we held a healthy brain up as a requirement to play in this league, we'll be left with a pretty thrilling 60 minute exhibition of punting and field goals. If our ultimate goal is to protect players from themselves and rob them of their free will, it'll be a 32 team punt, pass, and kick competition. Only with no passing.

He’s going to keep playing — so long as the Colts will have him,” Scott Collie said. “I don’t know what 26-year-old is going to listen to his dad. I can advise. I can’t tell him to stop.”

Scott Collie’s heard all the horror stories, and he’s seen all his son’s concussions. The latest, when he was caught by a Larry Foote forearm to the helmet Sunday night, brought back the familiar thought.

“Is this the one,” he wondered, “that’s going to be the breaking point?”

Like any parent who watches their kid put themselves at peril, Collie was wondering if he had done enough.

“No, and I realize that borders on me being a poor dad — that I should be standing up and saying, ‘Austin, you’ve got to stop,’” Scott Collie said. “I think by me not saying that, it could show ignorance on my part and not understanding the long-term possible affects that concussions could have. And again, the comments I make are ignorant, particularly where [former NFL players] have had issues later on in life. To think that’s not going to happen to my son is ignorant as well.

“But for every story you hear about the guys who have the long-lasting effects, you can talk to eight more that come away from it still able to enjoy life. The ones who suffer from depression, where does it come from? Is it because you’re so used to being the guy, the attention, [with] the money, and then it’s gone, and now all of a sudden you’re just a normal guy? Does that contribute? I don’t know — I don’t know. And that’s where I go into real dark areas, gray areas, and I know that can upset a lot of people.”

Bottom line? T me (and probably to his dad)

You cant take awy a man's right to make his own decisions....no matter what the cost..

...if he's not hurting anyone else.....

everybody else certainly has a right to weigh in on such a public decision.......and I think he's shortening his life...

but its on him...

He’s going to keep playing — so long as the Colts will have him,” Scott Collie said. “I don’t know what 26-year-old is going to listen to his dad. I can advise. I can’t tell him to stop.”

Scott Collie’s heard all the horror stories, and he’s seen all his son’s concussions. The latest, when he was caught by a Larry Foote forearm to the helmet Sunday night, brought back the familiar thought.

“Is this the one,” he wondered, “that’s going to be the breaking point?”

Like any parent who watches their kid put themselves at peril, Collie was wondering if he had done enough.

“No, and I realize that borders on me being a poor dad — that I should be standing up and saying, ‘Austin, you’ve got to stop,’” Scott Collie said. “I think by me not saying that, it could show ignorance on my part and not understanding the long-term possible affects that concussions could have. And again, the comments I make are ignorant, particularly where [former NFL players] have had issues later on in life. To think that’s not going to happen to my son is ignorant as well.

“But for every story you hear about the guys who have the long-lasting effects, you can talk to eight more that come away from it still able to enjoy life. The ones who suffer from depression, where does it come from? Is it because you’re so used to being the guy, the attention, [with] the money, and then it’s gone, and now all of a sudden you’re just a normal guy? Does that contribute? I don’t know — I don’t know. And that’s where I go into real dark areas, gray areas, and I know that can upset a lot of people.”

Bottom line? T me (and probably to his dad)

You cant take awy a man's right to make his own decisions....no matter what the cost..

...if he's not hurting anyone else.....

everybody else certainly has a right to weigh in on such a public decision.......and I think he's shortening his life...

but its on him...

Good point, and who is going to tell a 26 yr-old that is playing a 'game' for a living to quit playing....?

Collie's concussions have been more public than most - maybe because the hits in 2010 were so devastating to watch - but I doubt that he is the only person in the NFL that we should be talking about who faces such long term decisions. He probably isn't even in the top 10 players for concussions - he is simply #1 in publicity. I don't pretend to know what he should do, but he is just a microcosm of the issue. There are a lot of at risk players running around out there who aren't being told what to do by the popular press.

Isn't this issue why they created waivers? If Collie wants to keep playing and understands the risks then make him sign a waiver stating such. He is a grown man. Just like all of the other NFL players are who decided to keep playing even though they were concussed. I am sorry but I just don't buy into this bull that these atheletes didn't understand the consequences of continued brain trauma... You don't have to be a surgeon to figure that out!

All this debate just seems silly to me... call me callous or heartless... just my 2 cents.

Isn't this issue why they created waivers? If Collie wants to keep playing and understands the risks then make him sign a waiver stating such. He is a grown man. Just like all of the other NFL players are who decided to keep playing even though they were concussed. I am sorry but I just don't buy into this bull that these atheletes didn't understand the consequences of continued brain trauma... You don't have to be a surgeon to figure that out!

All this debate just seems silly to me... call me callous or heartless... just my 2 cents.

But you havent been hit in the head 1000 times. Captain.....(I hope)

The issue is..does his repeatedly taking blows to the head cripple his ability to make his own decisions.

That's what i dont know...

Its not silly.....There's lawsuits now about what the teams did and didnt do...did and didnt know..and didnt tell the player

Decisions like this one are never easy. I always try to put myself in their shoes. If I were Austin Collie, what in the world would I do? I worked my caboose off just to make on the NFL stage and I made a ton of sacrifices just to land in Indianapolis and earn a roster spot. I memorized playbooks, lifted weights, taken licks, and I am well respected on this team and in this city. Do I wanna start over in a new city? Do I wanna stop permanently? What other occupation can I make so much money for doing a kids game on a daily basis? Does my wife understand how much it would devastate me emotionally to give up my NFL dream and career completely? This new Colts regime is poised to do something resembling Championship Greatness in short order, why wouldn't I wanna be a vital cog in this Blue Horseshoe Monster Machine?

If I were Collie, I would hear the medical staff out, get all the 2nd opinions I needed, but at the end of the day, I'm still putting on a helmet and buckling my chin strap, the competitive fire is too great to stop now and I have made too many sacrifices in my life to play in the NFL. It's full steam ahead. No regrets; No apologies.

Collie's concussions have been more public than most - maybe because the hits in 2010 were so devastating to watch - but I doubt that he is the only person in the NFL that we should be talking about who faces such long term decisions. He probably isn't even in the top 10 players for concussions - he is simply #1 in publicity. I don't pretend to know what he should do, but he is just a microcosm of the issue. There are a lot of at risk players running around out there who aren't being told what to do by the popular press.

Like I've been saying, the last ESPN Magazine had a poll of NFL players showing that the average NFL player has had 2.1 concussions. If the NFL forces out Collie because he's had 3, in the interest of fairness they'd have to force out a relatively high percentage of the rest of the players.

That means the NFL itself would probably have to undergo large-scale contraction, or complete dissolution.

I just can't see how it's possible, given the numbers, for people to question whether Collie should be playing without also questioning whether the game of football should be played anywhere, by anyone. Suffering 3 concussions playing football is NOT unusual. For an NFL veteran, that's probably pretty normal.

So for the people saying Collie should be forced to retire - can I assume you also believe that the game of football has no place in this world?

But you havent been hit in the head 1000 times. Captain.....(I hope)

The issue is..does his repeatedly taking blows to the head cripple his ability to make his own decisions.

That's what i dont know...

Its not silly.....There's lawsuits now about what the teams did and didnt do...did and didnt know..and didnt tell the player

If that's true, we should ban football and be done with it. Collie's situation is NOT exceptional. It's fairly normal.

I would hate to see him leave. I dont think we should release him, i think at worst put on IR. That being said, i have seen everyone of his concussions either live or on TV when they happened and was nervous/worried for him every time. I would hate to see the one where he is carted off, never to return again. I have had 3 concussions myself, 1 that i went to the hospital for and was diagnosed with a mild concussion. That one caused me sporadic memory loss. I had 2 others like that before the one i went to the hospital for because i didnt know what it was and people around me told me i was fine. I had short term fractured memory from those as well. Those were mild. He has had some major ones that have knocked him out and im sure he doesnt fully remember his walk to the locker room. I would not want to see such a fan favorite like Austin Collie become seriously disabled in some manner. Even if he never plays again for us, he will always be a Colt.

If he is cut or put on IR, we as fans should write to him and give him support in any decision he makes.

I really think it would be a shame to let Austin ruin his career and post-NFL life,

What do you mean "let"? The Colts, the fans, have zero say in this. Colts can try to be a nanny and cut him, but if he wants to play he will go to another team.