Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The return of Brackett?

MattyIce

To be a leader of the team? Yes

To be productive in the 3-4? I'm not sure.

I thought Jerell Freeman was next in line to start. I think we should give Him, Fokou, or Harvey a shot 1st before we just go off and sign Brackett. No Disrespect to Brackett cause he was an excellent leader and player here.... but I don't think he's going anywhere. So he'll be in FA after next Sunday. Things don't work out, then I'm all for him get signed for a 1 year deal

for a short period, brackett played pro-bowl caliber. considering how long he was here, that isn't saying that much. but he deserves respect for what he helped us occomplish

considering he was the former defensive captain, it would be an awkward situation to bring him back here now with all the change going on

His size isnt an issue,what he lacks there he makes up in heart,but he may be to far past his prime

size is absolutely an issue for a 3-4 lber. Just like some are tired of hearing he's too small, Im tired of people saying that his size don't matter. He is too small to play in a 3-4 defense. Some will look at roster weights and say he's about the same size as Angerer, but I can assure you, that is not the case. Angerer is bigger than his listed size and quite a bit bigger than Brackett. That was the case last yr. and Angerer is bigger this yr. than last.

size is absolutely an issue for a 3-4 lber. Just like some are tired of hearing he's too small, Im tired of people saying that his size don't matter. He is too small to play in a 3-4 defense. Some will look at roster weights and say he's about the same size as Angerer, but I can assure you, that is not the case. Angerer is bigger than his listed size and quite a bit bigger than Brackett. That was the case last yr. and Angerer is bigger this yr. than last.

I don't think there's a single defensive player that doesn't fit our "system." We play a hybrid defense. We'll use a ton of defensive fronts this season. When we go nickel, Brackett would be an excellent fit, given his coverage skills.

I don't think there's a single defensive player that doesn't fit our "system." We play a hybrid defense. We'll use a ton of defensive fronts this season. When we go nickel, Brackett would be an excellent fit, given his coverage skills.

Let's not get logical about this, now.....

Only as a coverage LBer in nickel situations, that is where Brackett can help the most. He cannot take the pounding vs run heavy division rivals and stay healthy if he is asked to do more than that.

^This^ If healthy, he's a great cover guy, made for nickel LB. But when was the last time he was healthy?

That may very well be true, but my argument is that lbers have to be bigger and stronger in a 3-4 and IMO thats pretty common knowledge. The reason why I wouldn't want Brackett is because he would only be on the roster to play a very specific and small part of what were going to do on defense. That is a total waste of a roster spot IMO. We do not have the luxury of signing guys for a small role on defense, we need guys that are able to play every facet of our new D without becoming exposed and vulnerable.

In case you havnt heard,hes also injured and out for 6 weeks :thmup:

That may very well be true, but my argument is that lbers have to be bigger and stronger in a 3-4 and IMO thats pretty common knowledge. The reason why I wouldn't want Brackett is because he would only be on the roster to play a very specific and small part of what were going to do on defense. That is a total waste of a roster spot IMO. We do not have the luxury of signing guys for a small role on defense, we need guys that are able to play every facet of our new D without becoming exposed and vulnerable.

Count me among those who think the attention directed toward the size of linebackers in a 3-4 front is overboard, but let's say Brackett isn't big enough. The idea that we are going to be a 3-4 defense is erroneous. We will use 3-4 fronts, along with a plethora of other fronts, in a number of different situations. And since NFL teams throw more than they pass (34 pass attempts to 27 rush attempts, on average, last season), I think we'll be in nickel more than a small amount of time. Pagano went with nickel sets 50% of the time last season with the Ravens. Having a designated "nickel backer" isn't a small role, and it isn't a waste of a roster spot.

In a perfect world, we'd have four or five ILBs who are 6'3", 245 pounds and who tackle like monsters and cover like DBs. Last I checked, the world is far from perfect. But the way Pagano has used his players in the past suggests that he'll put everyone in the best position to succeed. If that means using a nickel backer in passing situations, that's a smart thing, not a waste of a roster spot.

I said earlier in another thread that I doubt Brackett is in the plans, and I don't really have a desire to see him come back here. He should hold out for a role on a team that plays a lot of zone coverage, because that's his strength. We'll play plenty of zone, but I think his ship has sailed here.

All I'm saying, if I'm saying anything, is that this whole "we're a 3-4 defense now" thing is ignoring the fact that we're not really a 3-4 defense. We're a defense that will do a bunch of different things with our defensive front, and 3-4 will be included. But the need for prototypical 3-4 ILBs only isn't really a big deal for us.

Can we stop using the term "Too Small" we've been hearing that all Off-Season long about Angerer & Connor. Let's stop using that please?

brackett sucks he can not stop run , he is an over weight strong saftey at this point in his career, we our trying to get rid of the over paid injury prone soft players around here

His size isnt an issue,what he lacks there he makes up in heart,but he may be to far past his prime

do you think brackett has the strengh to get off a block , he would be a weakness in this system he got away with being under sized and it caught up to him

To be a leader of the team? Yes

To be productive in the 3-4? I'm not sure.

This is true..Gary's experience is nuetralzed because of the change in defense.

But his teammates know and respect him...and that has great value on a young team..

..and I also agree that it sounds like Angerer will miss more than 6 weeks..