Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This isnt what I wanted to hear

oldunclemark

Andrew Luck has to learn a 'whole new' Colts offense

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League editor
  • Published: July 27, 2012 at 10:50 a.m.
  • Updated: July 27, 2012 at 11:21 a.m.

The transition from college to the NFL is notoriously difficult for rookie quarterbacks. That's especially true when you are learning a much different offensive system than you worked under in college.

On a conference call with Indianapolis Colts fans Thursday, Andrew Luck talked about that very challenge.

"The Stanford offense has a lot of the West Coast ideas in it," Luck said via the Indianapolis Star. "So all of the terminology was West Coast. (Colts offensive coordinator Bruce) Arians' offense is not West Coast, so it's learning a whole new thing. It's not too bad, and practice reps help."

The Stanford system took advantage of Luck's biggest strengths: his athleticism, accuracy, and quick decision making. Arians system -- honed in Pittsburgh of late -- relies more on deep throws. The difference between the two systems has not been talked about much, but it could make Luck's introduction to the league even tougher.

Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski did a masterful job blending Cam Newton's talents to his system last year. Arians must show he can do the same with Luck.

He was going to run a new offense unless the Colts had hired someone proficient in the WCO, even then there are various hybrid forms of the WCO so there would still be a learning curve. Stanford didn't run a true pro version of the WCO because they ran the ball more, and didn't target wide receivers as much as NFL teams do in the WCO.

With that said, even if Irsay wanted to run the offense we've run for the past decade plus, there isn't anyone here that could teach it to Luck.

So Luck was going to be learning in the very least a portion of a new offense, even if he brought his "Andrew Luck Director of Offense with him". That is still absurd, silly & embarrassing... Take your pick.

No worries.... he's going to grasp the new language, the new terminology... it's all a learning process and Andrew **LOVES** learning, especially learning more about football.

Really, this is more of a challenge rather than a hinderance or obstacle. (remind me of what I just wrote when he throws an interception that costs us a game!)

The comfort factor for you is.... the two tight ends. As long as he's got check-down possibilities (and he does) then, he'll be fine. If the deep route isn't open, he'll go elsewhere...

I understand the initial concern, but in the grand scheme of things, this is not a worry.

It's all good. Better days ahead.

As someone who was on this call I can tell you that they ommitted part of this answer. He also stated that the routes are pretty much the same but the terms are different and that is the part he needs to get used to. He didn't seem real concerned about getting that part down.

#12 is smart kid. He handles himself exceptionally well for a rook, and he's been prepped for this his whole life. Coby Fleener stated that in Minicamp he was already calling out "30 word" plays from the line of scrimmage. #12 said himself in this same interview that there are only so many routes, and schemes that any team can run, and that most of what he had to do was learn new verbage for Arians system. I would wager to say that he knows over 90% of the playbook by heart now, and is obsessively playing out each play in his head again and again. I think a lot of people took #18 for granted, but we are very lucky fortunate to have #12, so lets not take him for granted.

He was going to run a new offense unless the Colts had hired someone proficient in the WCO, even then there are various hybrid forms of the WCO so there would still be a learning curve. Stanford didn't run a true pro version of the WCO because they ran the ball more, and didn't target wide receivers as much as NFL teams do in the WCO.

With that said, even if Irsay wanted to run the offense we've run for the past decade plus, there isn't anyone here that could teach it to Luck.

So Luck was going to be learning in the very least a portion of a new offense, even if he brought his "Andrew Luck Director of Offense with him". That is still absurd, silly & embarrassing... Take your pick.

Great post FJC...he is a rookie. He will be fine. Arians offense compliments his skills nicely. Can't wait to see it in action.

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, July 28, 2012 - quoted hidden post
Hidden by Coltssouth, July 28, 2012 - quoted hidden post

Oldunclemark, you must be just be an *. This has got to be the dumbest * question or answer ever asked...

Not even close. We all know OUM loved our offense, we all did, but he held onto hope of it staying.

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, July 28, 2012 - response to hidden post
Hidden by Coltssouth, July 28, 2012 - response to hidden post

Oldunclemark, you must be just be an *. This has got to be the dumbest * question or answer ever asked...

Really? You've been on the website for less than a week and you're already name-calling people whose comments you don't like. Really? Congratulations, you must be very proud.

And if you've been around websites like this you'll know everyone makes posts they regret. I have, you will, everyone does. Everyone. It's the nature of social media websites like this.

Also, contrary to your observation, Mark didn't ask a question or offer an answer. So, you're wrong on both counts. He offered a comment, which is different. Swing and miss for you.

Finally, if you're really a Marine.... thanks for your service... otherwise, not your best post since joining....

:scratch: Um not to get involved in your insults over a computer but where was his question in where he posted that excerpt from that article? dang 27 posts into this site and your sounding like a teenager already, at least wait till the season starts and blood is boiling over with many fans on here this long season we are going to endure (more then likely) before you start hurling insults

Prediction - T.Y. Hilton has 30+ catches and 200+ rushing yards this year in new offense, Hilton fits the Wallace, Brown, Sanders build Pittsburgh had. Watched almost every game BA coached, he can be a really good, but can be too predictable at times, not sure how much Ben had to do with that though.

Really? You've been on the website for less than a week and you're already name-calling people whose comments you don't like. Really? Congratulations, you must be very proud.

And if you've been around websites like this you'll know everyone makes posts they regret. I have, you will, everyone does. Everyone. It's the nature of social media websites like this.

Also, contrary to your observation, Mark didn't ask a question or offer an answer. So, you're wrong on both counts. He offered a comment, which is different. Swing and miss for you.

Finally, if you're really a Marine.... thanks for your service... otherwise, not your best post since joining....

He's been here since last year.

He's been here since last year.

Even then, where is the question he is speaking of in his name calling yet brief rant? OUM posted an article put out by Greg Rosenthal not any questions, regardless how long marine has been here, he has only posted 27 total times, heck thats barely long enough to know whats what around here, which clearly by his post he doesn't. Or take to well to rules or hasn't read them, but really how many rules do you have to read to know that name calling over a computer is pointless? Not trying to tick anyone off or start a ruckus, I just didn't see a point to his short rant

No worries.... he's going to grasp the new language, the new terminology... it's all a learning process and Andrew **LOVES** learning, especially learning more about football.

Really, this is more of a challenge rather than a hinderance or obstacle. (remind me of what I just wrote when he throws an interception that costs us a game!)

The comfort factor for you is.... the two tight ends. As long as he's got check-down possibilities (and he does) then, he'll be fine. If the deep route isn't open, he'll go elsewhere...

I understand the initial concern, but in the grand scheme of things, this is not a worry.

It's all good. Better days ahead.

Ya, an Interception like maybe in the SUPER BOWL!! That would sure hurt! He wont be THAT BAD.

Well stated FJC!! I honestly feel Harbaugh's offense in 2010 had a semblance of an Arian's offense. Thus I agree he is learning terminology and as you succinctly state a 'portion' of a new offense.

Well stated FJC!! I honestly feel Harbaugh's offense in 2010 had a semblance of an Arian's offense. Thus I agree he is learning terminology and as you succinctly state a 'portion' of a new offense.

It's mostly new verbage.

Beer = cerveza = bière = birra

Fly route = streak = go = 9 route

routetree.jpg

Football%20Route%20Tree%20horizontal.jpg

A post is a post, whether it's in the WCO, the Manning offense, Air Coryell, or whatever. Some might add various depths to patterns to make them slightly different, but the key difference is verbage.

You take someone like Jay Cutler. I think he's only had 2 seasons where he had the same OC, so he was always working with new verbage.

Coaches come up with terms, or learn them from others, and add to them with concepts of their own that is why the Gruden, Kubiak, and Reid WCO's are all hybrids of the Walsh system. Gruden has more bunch packages, Kubiak has more boots and Reid threw at a higher ratio than most of the others.

Stanford's Offense and Arians' offense might share some terms, they might be entirely different. One might use words, while the other uses #'s.

All this is speculation, pagano said the colts would rely on the run a bit more than usual...

What? How does a direct quote from Andrew Luck qualify as speculation?

Why are people freaking out? We aren't Carolina nor are we Washington. We don't have to bow to every demand our QB has for a certain system.

Good lord, some people here turn molehills into mountains.

Where do you see anybody freaking out?