Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What position do the colts fill in next

coltnorth

After Trevor V was cut the colts have a roster spot open. Who do you think they bring in? I'm hoping either a DE or a CB. We all know the corners have taken the most heat and I feel thats justified. But I am also worried about the D line. We are pretty thin at 3-4 DE. Either Nevis or Miola need to work out there. An injury to redding would be devastating. more bodies to play 4-3 DE would be good to. Last year Freeney and Mathis were spelled by Anderson, hughes and the other guy we didn't resign (can't remember). What do other colts fans think

I imagine they may leave that position open for injuries going forward. Certain positions need more camp bodies to keep everyone rotating in and getting work done. It could be an OL or DL we just don't know. I imagine if we see some guys getting nicked up and missing time they may bring someone in. Of course anything that can help the defense is much needed.

We already have signed an UDFA punter. McAfee is more than capable of replacing AV when the time comes. No need for a kicker.

And to answer your question, I'd like to see another DE/CB signing, unless of course there is some UDFA gem that nobody has mentioned.

In terms of making a serious effort for improvement, I say we go after our secondary. Our corners are nothing special and while Powers has potential, he has been injured quite a bit. But I don't want them to pick up some undrafted rookie corner and hope that it solves the problem. I want us to make a serious effort to improve the secondary and in my opinion, that starts by drafting David Amerson next season

I think it is left open in hopes of getting jenkins. the ship hasnt sailed. cowboys will end up wanting to trade him so they can get something out of losing him. i honestly dont think jones will want to lose Jenkins to FA and get nothing in return i can see him putting him on the block come pre season time. I actually had a dream the other night that the colts traded for him only giving up a 5th round pick in next years draft and a 4th round pick in 2014 draft for jenkins and a 7th round pick in the 2013 draft. then jenkins came in and sparked the colts secondary.

I think it is left open in hopes of getting jenkins. the ship hasnt sailed. cowboys will end up wanting to trade him so they can get something out of losing him. i honestly dont think jones will want to lose Jenkins to FA and get nothing in return i can see him putting him on the block come pre season time. I actually had a dream the other night that the colts traded for him only giving up a 5th round pick in next years draft and a 4th round pick in 2014 draft for jenkins and a 7th round pick in the 2013 draft. then jenkins came in and sparked the colts secondary.

What, is Quan Cosby not good enough? :P I agree with you, but Fleener should make up for lack of receivers.

IMO, Fleener is going to hinder more than help Luck in the first few years. With that said, no we do not have a true #2 Receiver and we do not have Reggie's back-up.

IMO, Fleener is going to hinder more than help Luck in the first few years. With that said, no we do not have a true #2 Receiver and we do not have Reggie's back-up.

based on what? I went to the mini-camp and Fleener did nothing but provide a very large open target for Luck. That two TE set is going to be deadly. As far as a #2 WR, I don't see why Austin Collie doesn't deserve that spot and with Donnie Avery behind him...I don't see it as a problem. I see replacing Wayne as the #1 a problem...which is why I'm hoping for a WR early in the draft next year.

But the next move for the Colts should be at DE. But I've never been a huge Moala fan, so call me biased. We've brought in enough CB's to have a competition in training camp and there aren't really any big names out there that would be worth throwing more money at IMO.

based on what? I went to the mini-camp and Fleener did nothing but provide a very large open target for Luck. That two TE set is going to be deadly. As far as a #2 WR, I don't see why Austin Collie doesn't deserve that spot and with Donnie Avery behind him...I don't see it as a problem. I see replacing Wayne as the #1 a problem...which is why I'm hoping for a WR early in the draft next year.

But the next move for the Colts should be at DE. But I've never been a huge Moala fan, so call me biased. We've brought in enough CB's to have a competition in training camp and there aren't really any big names out there that would be worth throwing more money at IMO.ind

First, I am glad to know that I am not the only one orried what happens if Reggie goes down.

Secondly, I always thought that your #2 receiver was a #1 in training ( Reggie behind Marvin and Garcon behind Reggie as examples). As much as I like Collie, I realize that he is a slot receiver. As for Avery, I read he could be a #2 but i am worried he will not give us a full season. As for the rest in camp, I am not very hopeful.

I have taken a wait and see attitude with the Defense. The secondary is where we will need to upgrade next off season.

Now to Fleener. IMO Fleener was the 3rd best TE in the draft. He only became #1 when Allen ran the slow 40 and Green ( i think) was from a small school. DCs in the NFL are drooling about playing the Colts as they already have a built-in weakness in our Offense. They know that this year and next will be Luck building chemistry with the receiving corp. With Fleener, Luck already has that chemistry so they bait Luck into throwing to Fleener thus IMO causing Luck to throw more INTs than TDs. Hope I am wrong.

First, I am glad to know that I am not the only one orried what happens if Reggie goes down.

Secondly, I always thought that your #2 receiver was a #1 in training ( Reggie behind Marvin and Garcon behind Reggie as examples). As much as I like Collie, I realize that he is a slot receiver. As for Avery, I read he could be a #2 but i am worried he will not give us a full season. As for the rest in camp, I am not very hopeful.

I have taken a wait and see attitude with the Defense. The secondary is where we will need to upgrade next off season.

Now to Fleener. IMO Fleener was the 3rd best TE in the draft. He only became #1 when Allen ran the slow 40 and Green ( i think) was from a small school. DCs in the NFL are drooling about playing the Colts as they already have a built-in weakness in our Offense. They know that this year and next will be Luck building chemistry with the receiving corp. With Fleener, Luck already has that chemistry so they bait Luck into throwing to Fleener thus IMO causing Luck to throw more INTs than TDs. Hope I am wrong.

No I'm just as worried about Reggie as you are. That's why I was rooting for Alshon Jeffery for the #2 pick...but Fleener was the better pick in hindsight. Reggie is older now and there is no #1 behind him. I saw Collie handling the #2 spot just fine. He was playing out wide and in the slot. Avery could be the #2 if he proves himself. I see him as the Pierre Garcon except Avery can actually catch the ball.

The Colts were using Fleener like the Patriots use Gronk. At 6'6" and running a sub 4.5 40...Fleener is a match-up nightmare especially in the end zone. Short linebackers/corners have little chance of covering Fleener.

As for defense. Yes, we were bad at stopping the pass. But we were worse at stopping the run. For me it all starts in the trenches to set up the LB's in a 3-4 D. You need a huge, true zero tech NT (Check - Chapman), and two big DE's (Check - Redding/Moala). Moala will start as the other DE opposite Redding I assume, but I don't think he's the answer. The LB's are pretty solid with Freeney and Mathis blitzing. Angerer is great, but the jury is still out on Conner. Imagine if we could get Manti Te'o next year to pair up with Angerer. Corners are great, but it's the lesser important role in a 3-4. Besides, look at the conference we play in. We have to play against Arian Foster, Chris Johnson and Maurice Jones Drew. We need to stop the run.

We already have signed an UDFA punter. McAfee is more than capable of replacing AV when the time comes. No need for a kicker.

And to answer your question, I'd like to see another DE/CB signing, unless of course there is some UDFA gem that nobody has mentioned.

Michael Koenen.

I get your points and your concern. I don't agree that a #2 is necessarily a #1 in training; sometimes your #2 is just a #2. You mention Garcon and Reggie, and I don't think that Garcon is #1 material. If you have the luxury of having two receivers of that caliber, that's great, but most teams don't. I agree that it would be nice to have a future #1 on the roster, and I hope we find someone who can fill that role in next year's draft.

However, I don't get what any of that has to do with Fleener being a hindrance for Luck. The only way Fleener could hurt Luck would be if Fleener isn't good enough to be a threat in the NFL. Given his measurables, and the way he produced with Luck at Stanford, I don't think the odds of him being a bust are very high. So if he's a good NFL tight end, and if Luck is a good NFL quarterback, how is Fleener a hindrance? How do you bait a quarterback into throwing to his 6'6" tight end, and how would that result in more interceptions?

Fleener, if he projects to the NFL, is going to be a matchup problem for every NFL defense. He's bigger and faster than Gronkowski, and he produced more in college. No, I'm not saying Fleener is going to be Gronkowski, although I don't think that's an unreasonable projection. But I don't get what you think NFL defenses can do to take away a big, athletic receiving option, so much so that his mere presence becomes a hindrance for the quarterback.

I get your points and your concern. I don't agree that a #2 is necessarily a #1 in training; sometimes your #2 is just a #2. You mention Garcon and Reggie, and I don't think that Garcon is #1 material. If you have the luxury of having two receivers of that caliber, that's great, but most teams don't. I agree that it would be nice to have a future #1 on the roster, and I hope we find someone who can fill that role in next year's draft.

However, I don't get what any of that has to do with Fleener being a hindrance for Luck. The only way Fleener could hurt Luck would be if Fleener isn't good enough to be a threat in the NFL. Given his measurables, and the way he produced with Luck at Stanford, I don't think the odds of him being a bust are very high. So if he's a good NFL tight end, and if Luck is a good NFL quarterback, how is Fleener a hindrance? How do you bait a quarterback into throwing to his 6'6" tight end, and how would that result in more interceptions?

Fleener, if he projects to the NFL, is going to be a matchup problem for every NFL defense. He's bigger and faster than Gronkowski, and he produced more in college. No, I'm not saying Fleener is going to be Gronkowski, although I don't think that's an unreasonable projection. But I don't get what you think NFL defenses can do to take away a big, athletic receiving option, so much so that his mere presence becomes a hindrance for the quarterback.

I am not saying Fleener is bad TE, I am saying he will hurt Luck. DCs in the NFL are drooling in anticipation of playing us this season. They are going to use Fleener as bait to get Luck to throw to him, then bring someone underneath when Luck throw toward Fleener and a Pick 6 for the other team

I do not remember of any team drafting a QB and WR/TE from the same school in the same year.

It's rarely happened. There's actually a really good article on Bleacher Report about that (I know, but it's a good article for a change). http://bleacherrepor...ck-coby-fleener

However, I don't think it's as simple as you make it seem to take away a big, athletic tight end. If it were, the tight ends who have been super productive the past few seasons would not have been. If defenses try to get cute and sit on Fleener, then they're compromising their coverage somewhere else. Won't take long for the staff to figure that out and capitalize.

The other thing is that it doesn't take long for a rookie quarterback and receiver to get on the same page. AJ Green and Andy Dalton did fine. The idea that Luck won't be comfortable going through his progressions and making good decisions because he's more comfortable with Fleener seems sensational.

It's rarely happened. There's actually a really good article on Bleacher Report about that (I know, but it's a good article for a change). http://bleacherrepor...ck-coby-fleener

However, I don't think it's as simple as you make it seem to take away a big, athletic tight end. If it were, the tight ends who have been super productive the past few seasons would not have been. If defenses try to get cute and sit on Fleener, then they're compromising their coverage somewhere else. Won't take long for the staff to figure that out and capitalize.

The other thing is that it doesn't take long for a rookie quarterback and receiver to get on the same page. AJ Green and Andy Dalton did fine. The idea that Luck won't be comfortable going through his progressions and making good decisions because he's more comfortable with Fleener seems sensational.

Thank you for the info and settting me straight.

Funny you say that you had a dream about trading for Jenkins because I actually had a dream about us trading for a CB as well except it was Darell Revis but it was a corner. Thats kinda Interesting, maybe its asighn of what is going to come. I wouldnt mind it for the right price, Talking about Jenkins thats is.

Funny you say that you had a dream about trading for Jenkins because I actually had a dream about us trading for a CB as well except it was Darell Revis but it was a corner. Thats kinda Interesting, maybe its asighn of what is going to come. I wouldnt mind it for the right price, Talking about Jenkins thats is.

lol i like your dream alot better. i dont like Revis' attitude but i love the way he plays and how well he plays. so him being a colt, would be great