Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade Gronkowski to Broncos For Vaughn [Merge]

Case

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do like thomas, but competition brings out the best in players

oh I didnt say Thomas starting was a good thing, I dont believe it is, he still has to prove he can remain healthy for a full season for me to crown him as starter worthy, To be honest Im waiting for a report to come out that he got injured, I dont wish it on him but Im not counting on him being or staying healthy

oh I didnt say Thomas starting was a good thing, I dont believe it is, he still has to prove he can remain healthy for a full season for me to crown him as starter worthy, To be honest Im waiting for a report to come out that he got injured, I dont wish it on him but Im not counting on him being or staying healthy

was he hurt this season?

Another return man, likely. Still no solution to the CB position, but since we dealt Gronk for him, I'd call it a win. I'd like to see Bryant McFadden come over from the Steelers. Experienced CB in the zone blitz in a top 5 Defense...yeah..I'll take that.

I liked Mahaffey better than Gronkowkski anyhow.

I thought we acquired him for Chip Vaughn at first... lol

As for Cassius Vaughn, he isn't really that good, but good for special teams I guess.

Another return man, likely. Still no solution to the CB position, but since we dealt Gronk for him, I'd call it a win. I'd like to see Bryant McFadden come over from the Steelers. Experienced CB in the zone blitz in a top 5 Defense...yeah..I'll take that.

I think we arent gonna make any big moves like that and its just my guess but as far as Corner goes we wont make any cuts their or significant additions till the draft next year

I think we arent gonna make any big moves like that and its just my guess but as far as Corner goes we wont make any cuts their or significant additions till the draft next year

You are probably right. I don't see it as too much of a reach. The guy played for about $2 mil/year on his last contract and now he's cut at 30. Not much bargaining on his side. But that's just something I'd like to see...not a prediction :)

You are probably right. I don't see it as too much of a reach. The guy played for about $2 mil/year on his last contract and now he's cut at 30. Not much bargaining on his side. But that's just something I'd like to see...not a prediction :)

could prove to be a good addition and who knows maybe #2 Corner but I dont think we will pick him up just based on we arent sure if we even have a #1 Corner in this new system although Mcfadden coming from a 3-4 could be a plus but he wasnt even a starter for the Steelers, would likely make a better Nickel Back then any one we got though

Isn't our former FB Chris Gronkowski the guy that missed the blitz block that led to Romo's collar bone being broken and being out for the season? I wonder what Peyton feels about that now that he is on the Broncos :).

Cassius Vaughn has the size and speed to play outside and compete with Kevin Thomas, IMO. Rucker, I always felt, had more Marlin Jackson in him, that he would play nickel and run support inside. Good move, I like it. We may, like GoColts said, start him off in nickel and dime situations. He was lost in a numbers game over there in Denver, IMO. Reviews were mixed about him in coverage.

With Champ, Tracy Porter, Drayton Florence as CBs on the roster plus Omar Bolden drafted and last year's CB contributor Harris playing well for the Broncos, it was a trade they probably felt they could afford.

Personally, we needed the CB more than they needed a FB, IMO. Good trade, IMO!!! Props to Grigson!!! :)

I thought tracey porter signed with st. louis?

good right up off of rotoworld

Broncos acquired FB Chris Gronkowski from the Colts in exchange for CB/KR Cassius Vaughn.

Vaughn might not have made the Broncos, but he has quite a bit more NFL potential than Gronkowski. Rob's much less talented brother, Gronkowski is a 6-foot-2, 245-pound lead blocker who struggles mightily in pass protection and has seven career receptions over two seasons. Fullbacks haven't been historically used much in Peyton Manning's offenses, so the move is a bit curious on Denver's part. Gronkowski will battle for a roster spot in camp.

I definitely think it was a good move.. as many have said competition is a good thing..

There is no downside to putting another CB on the camp roster who has competed in NFL games - even made a few plays - in exchange for a player unlikely to make the team. However, if Mahaffey goes down in camp, we are probably looking for another FB (or moving one of the big backs - which may not work given blocking as the primary skill). Not a big deal since the same is true if it happens during the season and FB's are picked up mid-season every year.

I think we just moved up from worst defensive backfield in the league to ... No, we're still the worst.

But I have hope in the new coaches and scheme change!

Now **THAT** is seriously funny! Props to you, SMonroe.... I needed that laugh. As to the trade..... Me likey... a lot! I'll trade a fullback for a corner any day. And a young corner with speed, and skills who played in all 50 games in college? Are you kidding me? A job very well done by Grigson and company! It's a trade that goes mostly unnoticed in the summer, but hopefully we'll be loving it in the fall.....

Vaughn clearly isn't a pro bowl player, but neither is Gronkowski. Considering what we had at CB, there's clearly lots of upside in this deal. It's probably not a solution for the long term future, and it won't make us SB contenders in any way imagineable, but I think that it's an improvement of the roster for the coming season, and that's what counts.

What I think? I think it was a meaningless trade that brought another depth guy, I've accepted we arent gonna make iany big moves and cant , we have what we have at Corner and linebacker at least at starter and we are gonna stick with it, as far as our defense goes I have already turned my attention to next years draft, I will enjoy this offense coming together this year barring any big injuries of course but we are still far off on defense

Bronco Fan here.

Good trade for you guys.

Vaughn is one of those not quite there players, but good depth. He has elite speed, good tackler. He can be your number 2 CB(not saying you want him as your #2 CB, but in a pinch), he can return kicks(but ideally you have someone better). In conclusion good depth and he has the potential to develop into a starter. Really a great #4 CB to have on a team as is right now at the least.

There is one potential giant negative though...

He was there at the whole Perrish Cox rape thing. I don't know what his character is, none of us do. But there is a question mark there and I have to wonder if character had something to do with Denver's FA moves and trades.

What I think? I think it was a meaningless trade that brought another depth guy, I've accepted we arent gonna make iany big moves and cant , we have what we have at Corner and linebacker at least at starter and we are gonna stick with it, as far as our defense goes I have already turned my attention to next years draft, I will enjoy this offense coming together this year barring any big injuries of course but we are still far off on defense

I too am looking forward to the development of our offense, but I don't understand the "far off on defense" perspective. Our proven talent is much stronger on the defensive side of the ball, and we have all the ingredients to rush the passer and stop the run. Even if we are still a work in progress in the secondary, we can still field a decent defense right away. Furthermore, we are exaggerating our problems in the secondary, as 3 of the 4 starters are solid pro's and 1 has been a pro bowler and is still in his prime. Before you say Zibi isn't a solid pro, he contributed quality time on the field for a really good football team last year. Maybe we'll do better at his spot as we build, but he can play and is no liability day one.

Any defense that can rush the passer and stop the run is not "far off on defense". It might not work out that way, but I don't understand why it doesn't look probable.

I too am looking forward to the development of our offense, but I don't understand the "far off on defense" perspective. Our proven talent is much stronger on the defensive side of the ball, and we have all the ingredients to rush the passer and stop the run. Even if we are still a work in progress in the secondary, we can still field a decent defense right away. Furthermore, we are exaggerating our problems in the secondary, as 3 of the 4 starters are solid pro's and 1 has been a pro bowler and is still in his prime. Before you say Zibi isn't a solid pro, he contributed quality time on the field for a really good football team last year. Maybe we'll do better at his spot as we build, but he can play and is no liability day one.

Any defense that can rush the passer and stop the run is not "far off on defense". It might not work out that way, but I don't understand why it doesn't look probable.

we have some potential yes but to this point our Corners are unproven (I'd hardly call Powers proven nevermind our other Corners) as well as outside linebackers who are unproven at that position, we made some potential upgrades at defensive tackle yes and we do have good safeties, not trying to bad mouth our defense but lets face it some of these guys are unproven especially at Corner and Linebacker

we have some potential yes but to this point our Corners are unproven (I'd hardly call Powers proven nevermind our other Corners) as well as outside linebackers who are unproven at that position, we made some potential upgrades at defensive tackle yes and we do have good safeties, not trying to bad mouth our defense but lets face it some of these guys are unproven especially at Corner and Linebacker

Your outside linebackers, unproven at their position, are both perennial pro bowlers! Dwight Freeney may have OLB next to his name but to suggest he will be asked to do much that is unfamiliar to him is equivalent to concluding that we hired the wrong coach. People that are afraid Dwight Freeney is a square peg in a round hole in this Hybrid D can't see past their own concept of a 3-4 D. He is going to rush the passer, largely from the right side, with his hand in the dirt. He'll do that so often that when he isn't doing that it is because he is on the sideline resting...or occasionally standing up in an alternative look because....well, because we can now, thank goodness! As for Mathis, that guy is just flat out a football player and I guess it doesn't cross my mind that he won't excel where they put him, and I think moving him around will only increase his value and effectiveness. I honestly can't come up with a rational thought about how these 2 won't be effective next year.

The story has been done on the CB's. Yep, they are unproven, but you act like they'll be offering no resistance out there. Our coverage will probably hold us back some this year, but we are talking degrees of effectiveness, not zero effectiveness. Give them the pass rush we are likely to have and we all might even mistake them for better than they are. I'll disagree on Powers all day long as well. He has played good football on good teams and is an established corner in this league. He'll generate strong interest on the free agent market if not signed to a long term deal. Just because he is a Colt cornerback from a bad squad last year doesn't mean he can't play.

I agree. Vaughn isn't all that, either. But I see where the FO is trying to go with this...they are making sure the fans know that they are focusing on that defense.

Your outside linebackers, unproven at their position, are both perennial pro bowlers! Dwight Freeney may have OLB next to his name but to suggest he will be asked to do much that is unfamiliar to him is equivalent to concluding that we hired the wrong coach. People that are afraid Dwight Freeney is a square peg in a round hole in this Hybrid D can't see past their own concept of a 3-4 D. He is going to rush the passer, largely from the right side, with his hand in the dirt. He'll do that so often that when he isn't doing that it is because he is on the sideline resting...or occasionally standing up in an alternative look because....well, because we can now, thank goodness! As for Mathis, that guy is just flat out a football player and I guess it doesn't cross my mind that he won't excel where they put him, and I think moving him around will only increase his value and effectiveness. I honestly can't come up with a rational thought about how these 2 won't be effective next year.

The story has been done on the CB's. Yep, they are unproven, but you act like they'll be offering no resistance out there. Our coverage will probably hold us back some this year, but we are talking degrees of effectiveness, not zero effectiveness. Give them the pass rush we are likely to have and we all might even mistake them for better than they are. I'll disagree on Powers all day long as well. He has played good football on good teams and is an established corner in this league. He'll generate strong interest on the free agent market if not signed to a long term deal. Just because he is a Colt cornerback from a bad squad last year doesn't mean he can't play.

The only thing I have to say about it is I know the coaches will put Freeney and Mathis in the best position to succeed how well they do is up to them as for Powers and our Corners (most of them over the last 14 years) they have had that pass rush for a large majority of those years, yes Powers is very good at tackling but even in college his coverage skills were adequate not great, now I expect they will play better this year, Im just being realistic, our Corners (anyone one of them with the possible exception of Jason David) hasnt played mind blowing or even exceptional over that same period of time

I agree. Vaughn isn't all that, either. But I see where the FO is trying to go with this...they are making sure the fans know that they are focusing on that defense.

oh certainly, Im not suggesting they havent made improvements because they certainly have on the D Line

Well he played in 9 games and started 5 of them, he didnt play until week 7, I cant remember why

He just plain was one of the players that were not active the first 6 weeks of the season. No injuries .. just plain inactive every week. Then he goes from being inactive to a starting CB. Go figure... I guess just an example of how bad the Polian and puppet regime became.

As far as this move... how can you not like it. We moved our second best FB for a guy that can return and has a bit of upside in a much needed position. Not earth shattering but IMO a solid move.

I also would be very surprised if Thomas was a starting CB.

Ugh.... Why can't we make game changing trades?

Game changing trades afre pretty unusual in today's NFL. Plus we don't gave areas where we have good players in back up roles. Add to that the fact that we don't have extra draft picks stock piled.