Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Too many unknown variables to tell if this is going to work

BleedingBlue

I really cannot wait for pre season to start. For the first time in years, it will matter on a personal level for the GM, coaches and players. I think everyone is in a hurry to prove themselves, as we are to see them do it.

I like the unbridled enthusiasm that these boards have, but I've always been a more pragmatic guy. I personally have played down our chances of success (calling us an expansion team) but the truth is I have no idea how we will do. In trying to conceive where we will be at the end of next season - I have concluded there are far too many unknown variables in the equation to really do the math. I do know that the 7 biggest factors that comprise the chances of this teams success are relatively unknowns. The factors are for the most part, coaching and schemes.

I know a lot of people have been obsessed with the players that have come and gone, but honestly besides trading manning for luck, its a lot easier to get a feel for how we'll do based on our players. Its our staff, system and schemes that make it so hard to put a value on the variables. We've actually gotten better in some offensive positions and probably stayed the same on defense so I'm going to leave players (with the exception of Luck) out of it.

The variables...

V: Grigson

Grigson is basically a scout with absolutely no General Managing experience. While he has proven himself to Irsay enough to be our GM, it is hard to gauge his impact on the Eagles because we can't pinpoint exactly who he was responsible for and who he wasn't. How many of those decisions were his and how many were made by committee.

W: Pagano

Pagano is a defensive coordinator that has never coached in the NFL before. He has absolutely no win loss record in the NFL so there is really no basis to predict how he will do as a HC. More importantly is locker room control. We have no idea how players will react to him as a HC and that will lead to chemistry which is another factor.

X: Arians

Arians is a pass happy OC that took the steelers to two superbowls in 5 years, winning one. He coached Peyton for a couple of years 98-00. We know that Big Ben wasn't thrilled with the steelers letting him go. This is the one variable that we can almost consider a constant, and a positive one at that.

Y:

Manusky

Manusky was fired from the Chargers because of a severe drop off in the defense. Was he a fall guy for the teams failure to make the playoffs in the last two years? Maybe. It could have been poor drafting and lack of talent to work with. We can give this the benefit of the doubt, but still we're not able to * him until next year in our system.

Z:Luck

Luck is the only player I'm going to throw in because despite the scouting reports, you really have no idea how a rookie QB is going to pan out in the NFL (See Leaf, George, Leinart, Young and even Teebow) and since he will be integral its important to put him down as a factor.

We know that Manning carried this team as was evident next year. We say we're not asking Luck to carry the team, but since the personel on defense hasn't changed tremendously (unfortunately for Manusky), and we showed no real improvement in our offensive line or running game, can we honestly not expect Luck to carry the team? Thats a lot of pressure for a young QB to bear. Much more IMO than Manning had because all we could compare him to was Harbaugh. We don't want him to have to be as good as Manning, but the truth is he may have to be with this team, these coaches and this system. If we want to make the playoffs with this team, he may have to be even better than Manning simply because he will have to overcome more than Manning had too.

Personally I've been replacing Luck with "George" every time you guys mention his name just to put it in perspective. You just never know how rookie QBs do in the NFL. Could this team win with Jeff George?

xx:Schemes

We're using a 2TE set this year and a modified 3-4 defense. While we've used 2 TE sets earlier in the decade its not something we've done recently. The modified 3-4 success is a complete unknown especially with players like Freeney having to do unexpected things after 10 years of lining up in the same spot.

yy:Chemistry

Chemistry is everything and until we see how these coaches gell with the players we'll have no clue to what our clubhouse will be like. This is a HUGE factor no one even considers when gauging our success.

Conclusion

I absolutely cannot imagine this team will be as bad as last year just simply because there are far too many new coaches that have to prove themselves. However with all these unknown variables in the equation it is impossible to gauge how well we will do.

With at least 7 factors that have a huge effect on a football teams success being unknown, we could just as easily win 12 games as we could Lose 12.

So does this mean that (V*W*X*Y*Z)/(XX*YY)/(32)= # wins. 32=16 games * number of variables in the denominator.

So if we give each a number value of a scale of one to 10 with 10 being the best, assuming

V=6

W=8

X=5

Y=5

Z=6

xx=5

YY=5

So that is (6*8*5*5*6)/(5*5)/(32) = Will equal 9 wins for the Colts this year.

I feel feel like the mystery of how things will turn out is part of why I've been more actively interested this offseason than any other. There is something exciting about rising back to the top rather than being spoiled with constant 12+ win seasons. New Players and old, New exciting staff, and we're kind of in the media spotlight more too. It's going to be really nice to see how these variables pan out and how soon we'll be in the playoffs again.

with grigson being a scout, he has a good eye for talent and if he was responsible for drafting desean jackson and lesean mccoy both in the second round then he has a great eye for talent.

yes he is a first time head coach, but so was jimmy smith and mike tomlin and they both took their teams to a champion in only their second year. mike smith with the falcons has turned them into a playoff team. just because he doesnt have experience doesnt mean he cant be a good head coach

Arians is a pass happy OC that took the steelers to two superbowls in 5 years, winning one. He coached Peyton for a couple of years 98-00. We know that Big Ben wasn't thrilled with the steelers letting him go. This is the one variable that we can almost consider a constant, and a positive one at that.

Y:

Manusky

he was just a scape goat with the chargers in my opinion. if i recall correctly there a lot of injuries the chargers had to deal with on both sides of the ball so the fault is not completely on manusky.

please do not compare luck to the likes of tebow and young because he is nothing like them. luck is as good a rookie qb propesct that has come in years. the guy is smart, a leader, can run, beautiful accuracy. and the team has done plenty to help him succeed.

we are doing exactly what everyone has wanted for years. a change in the defense. no more bend but dont break no more 10 yard cushions, no more easy 3rd down conversations. our defense will not be contained in their cage anymore. i think having a new offense will benefit us because lets face no one could play peyton's offense last year. its too complex for any QB. what we need is a simple yet effective offense.

chemistry comes from actually being together which we have all of OTAs,mini camp, training camp, and pre season to do

with grigson being a scout, he has a good eye for talent and if he was responsible for drafting desean jackson and lesean mccoy both in the second round then he has a great eye for talent.

yes he is a first time head coach, but so was jimmy smith and mike tomlin and they both took their teams to a champion in only their second year. mike smith with the falcons has turned them into a playoff team. just because he doesnt have experience doesnt mean he cant be a good head coach

Y:

Manusky

he was just a scape goat with the chargers in my opinion. if i recall correctly there a lot of injuries the chargers had to deal with on both sides of the ball so the fault is not completely on manusky.

please do not compare luck to the likes of tebow and young because he is nothing like them. luck is as good a rookie qb propesct that has come in years. the guy is smart, a leader, can run, beautiful accuracy. and the team has done plenty to help him succeed.

we are doing exactly what everyone has wanted for years. a change in the defense. no more bend but dont break no more 10 yard cushions, no more easy 3rd down conversations. our defense will not be contained in their cage anymore. i think having a new offense will benefit us because lets face no one could play peyton's offense last year. its too complex for any QB. what we need is a simple yet effective offense.

chemistry comes from actually being together which we have all of OTAs,mini camp, training camp, and pre season to do

So basically you're saying that all these things BleedBlue listed are variables and we don't know how they will turn out.

So basically you're saying that all these things BleedBlue listed are variables and we don't know how they will turn out.

I thinking the same with most of these threads lately. I wish we had more to talk about.

So does this mean that (V*W*X*Y*Z)/(XX*YY)/(32)= # wins. 32=16 games * number of variables in the denominator.

So if we give each a number value of a scale of one to 10 with 10 being the best, assuming

V=6

W=8

X=5

Y=5

Z=6

xx=5

YY=5

haha I hope your formula works out...

Sounds about right.

Like they say - Everyone is undefeated in the off season. And everyone has a plan... until they get punched in the face.

...can we honestly not expect Luck to carry the team? Thats a lot of pressure for a young QB to bear. Much more IMO than Manning had because all we could compare him to was Harbaugh. We don't want him to have to be as good as Manning, but the truth is he may have to be with this team, these coaches and this system. If we want to make the playoffs with this team, he may have to be even better than Manning simply because he will have to overcome more than Manning had too...

But this is just year one of a multiple year rebuilding effort. As such Luck's situation is unlike Manning's who had to carry a team that was defensively deficient after several years of drafting/building. Luck is not expected to carry this team to the playoffs in his first year. At least no one who is reasonable is expecting this of him. Let's just see how the Colts continue to build the team in the next couple years before we assume that it will all be placed on Luck's shoulders. I believe that the Colts will focus more on building up the defensive side of the ball during the next off season.

Y:

Manusky

Manusky was fired from the Chargers because of a severe drop off in the defense. Was he a fall guy for the teams failure to make the playoffs in the last two years? Maybe. It could have been poor drafting and lack of talent to work with. We can give this the benefit of the doubt, but still we're not able to * him until next year in our system.

Quibble: He was only with the Chargers for one season, and they went from the best defense in the NFL to one of the worst. So he wasn't just a fall guy, although Norv Turner knows just how to protect himself down there. I'm more concerned about Manusky than I am about anything/anyone else on this team. The only reason I don't completely dislike the hire is because of Pagano, who knows not to try to fit a square peg into a round hole (based entirely from his one year as coordinator in Baltimore). Manusky was part of some mixed results in San Francisco as well, so it's not a completely poor resume. And he comes highly recommended. I just don't like the way the Chargers defense looked last season. They were worse on 3rd down than we were.

We're using a 2TE set this year and a modified 3-4 defense. While we've used 2 TE sets earlier in the decade its not something we've done recently. The modified 3-4 success is a complete unknown especially with players like Freeney having to do unexpected things after 10 years of lining up in the same spot.

I think the scheme changes are being overstated at this point. On offense, we have a new quarterback. And after last year's abomination that we called a quarterback rotation, anything has to be better (I hope). With a rookie quarterback, there's going to be some growing pains, but it doesn't matter that we're doing something new.

On defense, Freeney has to get comfortable playing from a two-point stance some of the time, but the Ravens used a four-down alignment 53% of the time last season. People keep saying that we're converting to a 3-4, and that Freeney is converting to an OLB, and that's not an accurate description of what we're doing. In actuality, we're expanding our defensive repertoire, and we're going to use Freeney to do a few different things. But he'll still play plenty of 4-3 end, based on what Pagano has said and what Suggs did last season. I think his position will be 25-30% different from what it's always been, which is a lot different from him being a full-time OLB.

Mathis has already been used as a rover and to do different things from a two-point stance, including dropping into coverage. He moves very well, and he pursues even better. I think, and always have thought, that he'll make the transition just fine.

And, just like on offense, simply having better gameplans defensively will improve the production from last season.

Now, you're not asking whether we'll be better or not. I think most people agree that we will be. I think you're pointing out that it's impossible to tell whether we'll be vastly improved or struggle mightily, and I definitely agree. But I'm okay with us struggling, because outside of the Manning decision, I like the changes we made, I think they were necessary, and I think we'll be better because of them. A two win season in 2012 won't be as dramatic or disappointing as 2011 was. I think we'll be better than a two win team, but there's plenty of reason for optimism, no matter the win/loss record.

I really cannot wait for pre season to start. For the first time in years, it will matter on a personal level for the GM, coaches and players. I think everyone is in a hurry to prove themselves, as we are to see them do it.

I like the unbridled enthusiasm that these boards have, but I've always been a more pragmatic guy. I personally have played down our chances of success (calling us an expansion team) but the truth is I have no idea how we will do. In trying to conceive where we will be at the end of next season - I have concluded there are far too many unknown variables in the equation to really do the math. I do know that the 7 biggest factors that comprise the chances of this teams success are relatively unknowns. The factors are for the most part, coaching and schemes.

I know a lot of people have been obsessed with the players that have come and gone, but honestly besides trading manning for luck, its a lot easier to get a feel for how we'll do based on our players. Its our staff, system and schemes that make it so hard to put a value on the variables. We've actually gotten better in some offensive positions and probably stayed the same on defense so I'm going to leave players (with the exception of Luck) out of it.

The variables...

Grigson is basically a scout with absolutely no General Managing experience. While he has proven himself to Irsay enough to be our GM, it is hard to gauge his impact on the Eagles because we can't pinpoint exactly who he was responsible for and who he wasn't. How many of those decisions were his and how many were made by committee.

Pagano is a defensive coordinator that has never coached in the NFL before. He has absolutely no win loss record in the NFL so there is really no basis to predict how he will do as a HC. More importantly is locker room control. We have no idea how players will react to him as a HC and that will lead to chemistry which is another factor.

Y:

Manusky

Luck is the only player I'm going to throw in because despite the scouting reports, you really have no idea how a rookie QB is going to pan out in the NFL (See Leaf, George, Leinart, Young and even Teebow) and since he will be integral its important to put him down as a factor.

We know that Manning carried this team as was evident next year. We say we're not asking Luck to carry the team, but since the personel on defense hasn't changed tremendously (unfortunately for Manusky), and we showed no real improvement in our offensive line or running game, can we honestly not expect Luck to carry the team? Thats a lot of pressure for a young QB to bear. Much more IMO than Manning had because all we could compare him to was Harbaugh. We don't want him to have to be as good as Manning, but the truth is he may have to be with this team, these coaches and this system. If we want to make the playoffs with this team, he may have to be even better than Manning simply because he will have to overcome more than Manning had too.

Personally I've been replacing Luck with "George" every time you guys mention his name just to put it in perspective. You just never know how rookie QBs do in the NFL. Could this team win with Jeff George?

Chemistry is everything and until we see how these coaches gell with the players we'll have no clue to what our clubhouse will be like. This is a HUGE factor no one even considers when gauging our success.

Conclusion

I absolutely cannot imagine this team will be as bad as last year just simply because there are far too many new coaches that have to prove themselves. However with all these unknown variables in the equation it is impossible to gauge how well we will do.

With at least 7 factors that have a huge effect on a football teams success being unknown, we could just as easily win 12 games as we could Lose 12.

ok you only named the bad picks, what about...

both mannings (3 superbowls combined)

Newton (broke the rookie record for most yards passed in a single season)

Sam Bradford (yeah you can say he isnt good, but look who he plays for and has around him a bunch of no ones and yes jackson is a no one because he cant stay healthy)

Stafford (got to the playoffs and has had a couple good seasons the last two years whle being healthy thanks to an improved offensive line)

Vick was prob one of the best QB's before he went to prison, and he still is dangerous when healthy

drew bledsoe got the patriots to two superbowls granted the second one was when he got hurt and brady took over but they wouldnt have gotten there with out him in the first place.

you cant just name the bad QB's as number 1 picks when there has been quite a few who have had a good career or a good rebound career from injuries. not to forget guys like Aikman and plunkett or even Bradshaw.

yeah theres no saying how Luck will turn out, but i doubt he will do any worst then manning did his rookie year. if he can match mannings rookie year numbers or even better them just alittle id say that was a very succesful year.

I will say that since i joined this fan forum I have read numerous threads about how the new regime and Luck will make such a big impact. In my opinion.. your statement is the most realistic post i have seen thus far. It makes more sense to me.. and is how I pretty much view the whole situation. I have seen some amazing things from this team in the past.. and hope to see the same in the future. While it's always good to be optimistic about our chances.. we also have to be realistic and truthful.

Good post.

Conclusion

Agree.

But this is just year one of a multiple year rebuilding effort. As such Luck's situation is unlike Manning's who had to carry a team that was defensively deficient after several years of drafting/building. Luck is not expected to carry this team to the playoffs in his first year. At least no one who is reasonable is expecting this of him. Let's just see how the Colts continue to build the team in the next couple years before we assume that it will all be placed on Luck's shoulders. I believe that the Colts will focus more on building up the defensive side of the ball during the next off season.

I'm all for keeping expectations realistic and pressure low, but one could argue that Manning had lots of expectations heaped on him, but almost no pressure (because we, the fans, had very little experience with success prior to '98). Luck on the other hand has to contend with a lot of both (because, aside from last year, the team was so successful for so long, many fans don't remember that the Colts were once just lovable losers, and it's already assumed Luck will return our team to winning ways).

I think before we even start talking about wins and losses and playoffs we need to worry about building the team right on BOTH sides of the ball, I dont expect Luck have to get in a shootout to win a game. I dont even want him to. I would like our defense to be able to stop the opposing offense on occasion.Our offensive line is shaky at best. Manning had better players around him at the start of his career, any comparisons to Manning when it comes to Luck ends at nothing but HYPE at this point and the reason is lack of talent on this team.....position by position

Wide Receiver

Harrison > Wayne

Running Back

Edgerrin James > Donald Brown

Tight Ends

Pollard/Dilger < Fleener/Allen

Left Tackle

Castonzo < Glenn

(do we even know who our starting Guards are going to be?)

Satelle > Larry Moore

Meadows > Ijalana

I think before we even start talking about wins and losses and playoffs we need to worry about building the team right on BOTH sides of the ball, I dont expect Luck have to get in a shootout to win a game. I dont even want him to. I would like our defense to be able to stop the opposing offense on occasion.Our offensive line is shaky at best. Manning had better players around him at the start of his career, any comparisons to Manning when it comes to Luck ends at nothing but HYPE at this point and the reason is lack of talent on this team.....position by position

Wide Receiver

Harrison > Wayne

Running Back

Edgerrin James > Donald Brown

Tight Ends

Pollard/Dilger < Fleener/Allen

Left Tackle

Castonzo < Glenn

(do we even know who our starting Guards are going to be?)

Satelle > Larry Moore

Meadows > Ijalana

Come on Gavin. That is over-used and tired logic. It's too easy to sit here 14 years later and say that all those players were better than the guys on the current team, but most were just as unproven at the time. This has already been beaten up ad nauseum in other threads. Edge wasn't on the team yet, but Faulk stands as the only guy who was already a proven commodity at that time. Even Harrison was coming off a marginal rookie year.

I'm all for keeping expectations realistic and pressure low, but one could argue that Manning had lots of expectations heaped on him, but almost no pressure (because we, the fans, had very little experience with success prior to '98). Luck on the other hand has to contend with a lot of both (because, aside from last year, the team was so successful for so long, many fans don't remember that the Colts were once just lovable losers, and it's already assumed Luck will return our team to winning ways).

When....this year??? It's not about keeping expectations low so much as it is about being reasonable. As for year one, no one should reasonably be expecting Luck to lead this team to the post season in his rookie season. So there is hardly any playoff pressure this year. If it happens it would be a pleasant shock to most. Sure the fan base has become accustomed to winning with the Manning era Colts but those Colts are largely gone now and this is a new team. Fans definitely have reason to see hope for the future because of Luck's pressence. However, most also realize that it will likely take 2-3 years before we can hope to start winning again on a regular basis.

It is also simply too early to try to equate the Luck era Colts with the Manning era team in terms of both being defensively deficient to the point that Luck will have to carry them like Manning did. That assertion is faulty because it is comparing two qb's at completely different points in their career & in the overall development of the franchise. Manning's Colts were deficient on defense after several years of construction. Luck's Colts are just in their first season of rebuilding so we don't know yet how they will ultimately be constructed. Year 1 they were offensively focused but that does not mean that the rest of the team will be built the same way in the years ahead. Thus to say right now that Luck has the same pressure as Manning to carry the team is just not true. You have to wait a few years to make that argument based on how the team is built talent wise on both sides of the ball.

When....this year??? It's not about keeping expectations low so much as it is about being reasonable. As for year one, no one should reasonably be expecting Luck to lead this team to the post season in his rookie season. So there is hardly any playoff pressure this year. If it happens it would be a pleasant shock to most. Sure the fan base has become accustomed to winning with the Manning era Colts but those Colts are largely gone now and this is a new team. Fans definitely have reason to see hope for the future because of Luck's pressence. However, most also realize that it will likely take 2-3 years before we can hope to start winning again on a regular basis.

It is also simply too early to try to equate the Luck era Colts with the Manning era team in terms of both being defensively deficient to the point that Luck will have to carry them like Manning did. That assertion is faulty because it is comparing two qb's at completely different points in their career & in the overall development of the franchise. Manning's Colts were deficient on defense after several years of construction. Luck's Colts are just in their first season of rebuilding so we don't know yet how they will ultimately be constructed. Year 1 they were offensively focused but that does not mean that the rest of the team will be built the same way in the years ahead. Thus to say right now that Luck has the same pressure as Manning to carry the team is just not true. You have to wait a few years to make that argument based on how the team is built talent wise on both sides of the ball.

Preaching to the choir...

I'm not saying I expect him to be great right out of the gate, but that I'm seeing a lot of posts suggesting he will be, so it's hard for me to agree with you that "most" are being reasonable. However, I'm saying we should temper expectations, just as you are.

The variables...

So are saying that :

Chris Polian > Grigson

Caldwell > Pags

Painter / Dan O > Luck

??

V=6

W=8

X=5

Y=5

Z=6

xx=5

YY=5

Do you mind doing this in crayon so that I can understand? Maybe with less numbers, perhaps child friendly pictures....like ducks and puppies?

pretty well written and thought out post. there will be some skinned knees after we take the training wheels off. let's be positive to a point and give our guys the chance. my take is still with the offense, and how well we can run the ball. if we think luck can win chucking it 40 times a game, um, no he won't. the d is almost always ahead of the o, especially early in the season. so we need to control the line of scrimmage as well as the clock, move the chains, or the d will run out of gas before the half. no more finesse crap. line 'em up and pound the rock.