Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taking a poll on Richardson and everyone's views...

coltsblue1844

Anthony Richardson  

64 members have voted

1. 1. This forum is so divided on Anthony Richardson, I wanted to take a poll. Do you think Richardson will still be our starting QB in 3 years, yes or no. Do you think he will be a high caliber QB in 3 years, yes or no? Feel free to comment on why you chose your answers!

• Yes he will still be our starter in 3 years
    • No he will not be our starter in 3 years
    • Yes he will be a high caliber QB in 3 years
    • No he will not be a high caliber QB in 3 years

This forum is so divided on Anthony Richardson, I wanted to take a poll.  Do you think Richardson will still be our starting QB in 3 years, yes or no.  Do you think he will be a high caliber QB in 3 years, yes or no?  Feel free to comment on why you chose your answers!

It kinda needs an "I don't know" answer here. AR needs a lot of reps and experience, but nothing is certain. I think he's shown flashes of things very few QBs can do and I think his main flaws right now is his mechanics, trusting what he sees and wanting to do too much. His flaws SHOULD be correctable, but again, nothing is certain. The only thing I do know is he'll only have a chance at getting better if he gets reps.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I voted that he would be our QB 3 years from now.

Only because to vote no means that if he isn't our QB after his rookie contract, then it would mean that Ballard failed in choosing him, we'll have suffered through 3 more losing seasons without his developing into anything (by injury or by failure), and he would therefore probably be replaced as GM.  And if that happens, then it's a full-scale rebuild from the top on down.  New GM, new head coach, new QB, new everything.

And I'm just not prepared to predict that at this time.

So -- sure, I'll vote yes.

• Like 1

I said yes he would be our starter in 3 years, even though it's way too early. Situations change fast like in 2012 with Luck/Manning. I don't think that was on anyone's radar in 2009. 

Picking a QB who had only played 13 games in college and putting him straight into an NFL starting job was always going to be a HUGE gamble. Its impossible to say at this moment as he needs reps and experience to learn and develop.

But if you were to ask me to say what I think based upon what I have seen so far. Its a hard no that he will be the franchise QB. He cant stay healthy. He doesnt seem to know how to protect himself. His short to mid range accuracy and his mechanics are terrible. I mean he is throwing balls into the stands meant for WRs on the sideline lol. Can these things be taught and can things turn around. Maybe. We will see I guess. 

Really, 9 games into his career? 

His issues are accuracy which can be corrected by a good QB coach and decision making and that comes from experience along with coaching and hard work. He is a long way from a good QB but only time will tell. Its all about his attitude and his work ethic.

• Like 1

My guess right now is that he won't be our starter or a high-level starter in three years because of a lack of durability. He has only finished four of the eight games he's started in his career - and in three other games this year, it seemed like the Colts were avoiding him running the ball much, perhaps to avoid injury. The situation seems discouraging to me, but I'll keep hoping it turns around and these doubts will seem ridiculous. 

• Like 2

For the record, I don’t think he will be our starting quarterback after his rookie contract. He’s a great athlete. He can throw the long bomb and run like the wind BUT……He’s inaccurate and injury prone. I think the Colts are wasting their Time. Hope I’m wrong and I will root for him as long as he wears the shoe but that’s just the way I see it. I’d love for him to make it through the entire season and improve his accuracy ….guess we’ll see. Maybe we can come back to this thread in a couple years……

First, we have to understand that playing QB in the NFL is the hardest position in sports.

There are WAY MORE failures at the position than successes.

And you could say that every QB that failed, all they had to do was improve on X. Whether that was decision making, accuracy, footwork, being able to read a defense, etc.

AR has a major hill to climb. The odds are against him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMO all of this depends on his ability to stay healthy.

IF he can stay healthy: Yes and Yes

If he continues to consistently get injured and miss games/half of games. No and I don’t know.

• Like 2

I voted our QB in three years but there wasn't a IDK option for high caliber or a high caliber for maybe another team option. 

I do think the colts will stick by him, a sink or swim situation. I still think he has elite ceiling but unsure if colts organization will give him his needed support to evolve to elite status. 

Its still early and needs to stay healthy to play to see him on field, not on sidelines with injuries.

• Like 1

The inaccuracy concerns me.  But he was raw coming out.  So I am hopeful.

As to whether he'll be the QB in 3 years...  Certainly possible but leaning "no" in a situation like this where I have to weigh in one direction or the other.  I think he'll be a QB who has to run to move the chains.  And that probably isn't gonna be good enough for the Colts.

Athletically he’s sooo talented but he’s also so raw. The thing that concerns me and I could be totally wrong here but I am starting to question his toughness and durability I know it’s stupid to question a nfl football quarterbacks toughness  and I will go on record and say he’s super tough compared to the avg person but being a nfl player you gotta be basically made of steel and have a high pain threshold and I sometimes wonder if him being so much better athletically and bigger than most players he’s faced in highschool and college has hindered his pain threshold tolerance from building up.

I don’t know, like I said I could be wrong and I hope I am, It just seems like he gets hurt or dinged up on the most simple plays. Some say the plays he’s been hurt on are freak occurances but they are starting to add up. Either he’s the most unlucky guy ever or something is going on with his durability and pain threshold. 

It just seems like when he gets hit hard he really shows that he’s hurt and comes out where guys like Peyton, Brady or Favre would hide their pain and keep playing for better or for worse and play until their arm fell off.   I’m not the one taking the hits so it’s easy for me to sit and question him and I’m aware of that but I just don’t know if he has the durability to be a long time nfl starter. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

This forum is so divided on Anthony Richardson, I wanted to take a poll.  Do you think Richardson will still be our starting QB in 3 years, yes or no.  Do you think he will be a high caliber QB in 3 years, yes or no?  Feel free to comment on why you chose your answers!

I originally misread your question, I thought you were asking if he’d still be the starter in year 3, not 3 years from now.

in either case, i think the answer is yes. But ONLY if the kid stays healthy. I’ve seen enough to think he can be an average to above average starter in the league, but health is the number one concern. 

10 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Athletically he’s sooo talented but he’s also so raw. The thing that concerns me and I could be totally wrong here but I am starting to question his toughness and durability I know it’s stupid to question a nfl football quarterbacks toughness  and I will go on record and say he’s super tough compared to the avg person but being a nfl player you gotta be basically made of steel and have a high pain threshold and I sometimes wonder if him being so much better athletically and bigger than most players he’s faced in highschool and college has hindered his pain threshold tolerance from building up.

I don’t know, like I said I could be wrong and I hope I am, It just seems like he gets hurt or dinged up on the most simple plays. Some say the plays he’s been hurt on are freak occurances but they are starting to add up. Either he’s the most unlucky guy ever or something is going on with his durability and pain threshold. 

It just seems like when he gets hit hard he really shows that he’s hurt and comes out where guys like Peyton, Brady or Favre would hide their pain and keep playing for better or for worse and play until their arm fell off.   I’m not the one taking the hits so it’s easy for me to sit and question him and I’m aware of that but I just don’t know if he has the durability to be a long time nfl starter. 

I don’t think you’re wrong. I agree with this concern.  And if one looks back at history, you see it in every run first QB. This is why the colts are trying to force him into pocket passing more right now. Limit those hits. At least in my opinion I think it is

11 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

He needs a “resilience” coach.

I dont think hes ready for the league.  He was drafted very young and rushed into playing right away.  Teams used to sit rookies until they were ready, I dont get why we are rushing him now.

I think hes been knocked out of half the games hes played in?  They cant just take away his running game either, hes not a good enough passer for that

I know there are a lot on here that view me as a Neg Nancy, a hater, or a troll most times when I comment or post. I can assure you all that I am neither of those. I consider myself a realist based on what I deem common sense at least from my perspective normally through my eyes and it doesn't take long for me usually to gain an opinion on where I see the road headed. Just like all of you, I am totally disappointed in this team and its progress going all the way back to Grigson.

On Richardson, I voted NO in each section. 

I commented in another thread recently that Richardson is NEVER going to be a prototypical pocket passer. Just the other day I was listening to Miller and Kerwin on Sirius and Kerwin said the exact same thing. < I will speak to what Kerwin said more in a little bit.

I also stated that Richardson could never be a prototypical RPO QB as well based on his accuracy issues on quick read short to intermediate passes. < Kerwin alluded to the exact same thing.

The above two commonalities should be aware fully by all of us on this forum although there are some that still believe his accuracy issues can be fixed. I am not in that camp. Regardless, Richardson now has 2 strikes against him in becoming an NFL caliber QB very short into his NFL career path.

Enter the 3rd area. Running the ball, i.e using his legs offensively. This is where most of us would agree that his strong suit applies and what has to happen for our offense to be effective with Richardson at the helm. Unfortunately, in two straight seasons now we have witnessed that when he runs the ball, he gets injured. It doesn't matter how bad the injury is, he still gets injured. He is not durable for being such a big strong guy.

We needed Bruce "Unbreakable" Willis, and we got "Mr. Glass" Jackson. That my friends are 3 strikes, and he is out. If he fails at all three phases he is not and cannot be an NFL starting QB. 

This forum really needs to come together here and realize that the chances that this kid becomes what we really want him to be is really slim and it keeps getting slimmer. This honestly should be so obvious to everyone here but it's not. 

In speaking of how some teams were smart enough to have experienced backup QB's on the roster like the Panthers, and Titans, the Colts were mentioned and Flacco was spoken of. Miller said he thought it might be time for the Colts to sit Richardson to learn from Flacco like the Panthers are seemingly doing with Young and Kerwin said absolutely not. He said we tried that last year with Minshew and look how far that got AR. He did not learn how to pass accurately by watching and or not get uninjured. Kerwin said and I quote: The Colts need this kid to play and play a lot and play a lot quickly as they need to figure out if this kid has it or not and by the looks of it, I'm really not sure he has it, Jim. Great kid, great athlete but sometimes those traits just don't translate. He then said the AR convo was one for another day.

That was from Kerwin, not me. Tells me that those in the league in the know are starting to see it which leads me to this.

We need to trade him and trade him now and the Colts should reach out to the Raiders. Here's why:

Once the Adams trade goes through the Raiders will have or should have an additional 2nd round pick. We should offer Richardson to the Raiders for that pick and call it a day. To me it would make sense to the Raiders for a couple reasons.

1) Minshew and AR had a good rapport last year and Minshew is in Vegas. AR could still get tutored in a familiar mentorship to see if it would work.

2) The Raiders need a QB in the worst way, obviously and I think they would jump at the chance to take AR.

3) Pierce wants to run that ground and pound type of atmosphere which would benefit AR and that scheme by having him in it if he could stay healthy.

If the Colts want to move this guy it has to be sooner than later as currently there still isn't a lot of tape on AR but eventually there will be and then he becomes worthless if what I believe to be true about this guy continues. A lot of people still believe he will pan out and will take that chance based on what I have said to be a fool's gold mentality. We need to capitalize on that now and move on before it's too late. 

Colts would take a lot of heat in the media but who cares. 5 years from now no one is really going to care. If we don't trade him now, I know exactly what is going to happen here in Indy..

Everybody is going to screaming/clamoring for Arch Manning. You all know this is what is coming. 

I'm sorry but the Colts are going to need to reset again.

Everybody knew this kid was raw. Everybody knew he might not be capable. Ballard had to shoot his shot. He missed. 

Trade him and let's move on. 

-Peace

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I know there are a lot on here that view me as a Neg Nancy, a hater, or a troll most times when I comment or post. I can assure you all that I am neither of those. I consider myself a realist based on what I deem common sense at least from my perspective normally through my eyes and it doesn't take long for me usually to gain an opinion on where I see the road headed. Just like all of you, I am totally disappointed in this team and its progress going all the way back to Grigson.

I commented in another thread recently that Richardson is NEVER going to be a prototypical pocket passer. Just the other day I was listening to Miller and Kerwin on Sirius and Kerwin said the exact same thing. < I will speak to what Kerwin said more in a little bit.

I also stated that Richardson could never be a prototypical RPO QB as well based on his accuracy issues on quick read short to intermediate passes. < Kerwin alluded to the exact same thing.

The above two commonalities should be aware fully by all of us on this forum although there are some that still believe his accuracy issues can be fixed. I am not in that camp. Regardless, Richardson now has 2 strikes against him in becoming an NFL caliber QB very short into his NFL career path.

Enter the 3rd area. Running the ball, i.e using his legs offensively. This is where most of us would agree that his strong suit applies and what has to happen for our offense to be effective with Richardson at the helm. Unfortunately, in two straight seasons now we have witnessed that when he runs the ball, he gets injured. It doesn't matter how bad the injury is, he still gets injured. He is not durable for being such a big strong guy.

We needed Bruce "Unbreakable" Willis, and we got "Mr. Glass" Jackson. That my friends are 3 strikes, and he is out. If he fails at all three phases he is not and cannot be an NFL starting QB. 

This forum really needs to come together here and realize that the chances that this kid becomes what we really want him to be is really slim and it keeps getting slimmer. This honestly should be so obvious to everyone here but it's not. 

In speaking of how some teams were smart enough to have experienced backup QB's on the roster like the Panthers, and Titans, the Colts were mentioned and Flacco was spoken of. Miller said he thought it might be time for the Colts to sit Richardson to learn from Flacco like the Panthers are seemingly doing with Young and Kerwin said absolutely not. He said we tried that last year with Minshew and look how far that got AR. He did not learn how to pass accurately by watching and or not get uninjured. Kerwin said and I quote: The Colts need this kid to play and play a lot and play a lot quickly as they need to figure out if this kid has it or not and by the looks of it, I'm really not sure he has it, Jim. Great kid, great athlete but sometimes those traits just don't translate. He then said the AR convo was one for another day.

That was from Kerwin, not me. Tells me that those in the league in the know are starting to see it which leads me to this.

We need to trade him and trade him now and the Colts should reach out to the Raiders. Here's why:

Once the Adams trade goes through the Raiders will have or should have an additional 2nd round pick. We should offer Richardson to the Raiders for that pick and call it a day. To me it would make sense to the Raiders for a couple reasons.

1) Minshew and AR had a good rapport last year and Minshew is in Vegas. AR could still get tutored in a familiar mentorship to see if it would work.

2) The Raiders need a QB in the worst way, obviously and I think they would jump at the chance to take AR.

3) Pierce wants to run that ground and pound type of atmosphere which would benefit AR and that scheme by having him in it if he could stay healthy.

If the Colts want to move this guy it has to be sooner than later as currently there still isn't a lot of tape on AR but eventually there will be and then he becomes worthless if what I believe to be true about this guy continues. A lot of people still believe he will pan out and will take that chance based on what I have said to be a fool's gold mentality. We need to capitalize on that now and move on before it's too late. 

Colts would take a lot of heat in the media but who cares. 5 years from now no one is really going to care. If we don't trade him now, I know exactly what is going to happen here in Indy..

Everybody is going to screaming/clamoring for Arch Manning. You all know this is what is coming. 

Everybody knew this kid was raw. Everybody knew he might not be capable. Ballard had to shoot his shot. He missed. 

-Peace

troll GIF

34 minutes ago, Indeee said:

-Peace

Very good post. Most likely you are right, and the possible trade idea to the Raiders is an intelligent thought. He showed flashes last week before getting hurt, but that's all we're seeing because he gets hurt so much. I didn't like his press conference either and I believe at this point Ballard is going to sink or swim with him. Ballard wouldn't be smart enough to do what the Cardinals did with Josh Rosen and draft a QB next year. Your way is a similar out to what they did. Ballard is too stubborn for that. He'll take down the team with him. It's a chess game though, trade him at the right time while his value is high if you do, don't make it obvious to the league and get nothing. Either way, you're taking a risk.

10 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Very good post. Most likely you are right, and the possible trade idea to the Raiders is an intelligent thought. He showed flashes last week before getting hurt, but that's all we're seeing because he gets hurt so much. I didn't like his press conference either and I believe at this point Ballard is going to sink or swim with him. Ballard wouldn't be smart enough to do what the Cardinals did with Josh Rosen and draft a QB next year. Your way is a similar out to what they did. Ballard is too stubborn for that. He'll take down the team with him. It's a chess game though, trade him at the right time while his value is high if you do, don't make it obvious to the league and get nothing. Either way, you're taking a risk.

I agree with you about Ballard. He very rarely, if ever moves totally off his spot. I do think he moved slightly off his spot when he drafted AR but I think he thought he really didn't have a choice. His comment about wishing there was more tape was clearly about AR so his reservations were correct. In hindsight, after complaining he was way too stubborn all these years, I kind of wished he had been stubborn in that moment and not taken AR but I'm sure he was feeling outward and internal pressure after so many unsatisfying seasons prior. I can almost guarantee that there are conversations being had behind the scenes right now. Not necessarily about trading him, but where this ends up after it plays out. There is concern. There's no way concerns cannot be there.

• Like 1

AR will be here until he and/or Ballard crashes and burns! He has all the tools to be a great qb, but I’m concerned on what goes on upstairs! Can he fix his mental mistakes like his footwork/overthrows? Can he learn to slide before contact? Etc. finally, can his body hold up? So far he has shown that his body can’t handle the hits!

So I am wondering, is there such a thing as being too much into shape? Does he work out way too much to where injury risks increase? Maybe he needs to add a few pounds of fat to help pad those big hits??? I’m not saying go all Jamarcus Russel or Jared Lorenzen, but maybe working out too much turns your bones into glass!?

11 minutes ago, IndyEV said:

AR will be here until he and/or Ballard crashes and burns! He has all the tools to be a great qb, but I’m concerned on what goes on upstairs! Can he fix his mental mistakes like his footwork/overthrows? Can he learn to slide before contact? Etc. finally, can his body hold up? So far he has shown that his body can’t handle the hits!

So I am wondering, is there such a thing as being too much into shape? Does he work out way too much to where injury risks increase? Maybe he needs to add a few pounds of fat to help pad those big hits??? I’m not saying go all Jamarcus Russel or Jared Lorenzen, but maybe working out too much turns your bones into glass!?

I don't think he has broken any bones

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

-Peace

I think he's the colts QB as long as Ballard is the GM.

If/when Irsay decides to move on from Ballard, then the new GM will likely decide to start fresh with a new QB.

11 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think he's the colts QB as long as Ballard is the GM.

If/when Irsay decides to move on from Ballard, then the new GM will likely decide to start fresh with a new QB.

You most likely are right. I actually hope Ballard uses his set and trades him without regard to what the fallout would be. I personally would gain a lot more respect for Ballard if he did this as it is the right thing to do in this moment. I say in this moment as no one really knows what the future will hold. I hope AR eventually succeeds and proves me wrong. I just don't want it to be here with Indy as I really don't want the Colts to box themselves in on a one-dimensional QB if and/when he excels in one of the 3 dimensions of being an NFL caliber QB I mentioned previously. 

The Colts and the rest of the league thought AR could become at very least a two-dimensional QB with all the traits he possesses. It looks like now currently, that he will not garner any of it consistently enough to ever truly matter. 

• Like 1

With the evidence given I voted No. As a pocket passer he has accuracy issues and has not made the "layups". Maybe can be corrected-yet to be seen. He is also slow to react to open WR's. He is still young and inexperienced. Again, yet to be seen. In limited opportunities as a RPO QB he has not stayed healthy. That style QB has to be nimble and avoid the hits, he tries to run over them, unsustainable. The answer lies in how much can he improve and can he stay healthy long enough to do so? We hope so but we don't know..  

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

You most likely are right. I actually hope Ballard uses his set and trades him without regard to what the fallout would be. I personally would gain a lot more respect for Ballard if he did this as it is the right thing to do in this moment. I say in this moment as no one really knows what the future will hold. I hope AR eventually succeeds and proves me wrong. I just don't want it to be here with Indy as I really don't want the Colts to box themselves in on a one-dimensional QB if and/when he excels in one of the 3 dimensions of being an NFL caliber QB I mentioned previously. 

The Colts and the rest of the league thought AR could become at very least a two-dimensional QB with all the traits he possesses. It looks like now currently, that he will not garner any of it consistently enough to ever truly matter. 

Irsay isn't going to trade him