Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans post game reaction

GoColts8818

Someone online made a point in that it was the Texans external Free Agent acquisitions that made the difference today. Ballard is simply not aggressive in the FA market and imo, holds this franchise back in acquiring enough talent to contend for a championship. The Texans on the other hand, looked poised to make the step up to AFC contenders with players they signed last spring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

Silver lining:  all those people who bet Houston -2.5 lost their bets.

Yeah, I do like that. We didn’t get stomped like some Colts fans even thought we would. Very disheartening to see Colts fans predict we’re gonna lose by three touchdowns.

42 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

If you didn't watch the game and only read these comments, you would think we lost 30-0 to the worst team in the league.........

Yeah. But they got beat either way. HOU dominated.

15 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

AR is electric but as advertised his accuracy is wildly inconsistent. Lost yet another opener under Ballard. Likely on our way to a mid record and fringe wildcard possibilities just like the past 8 years under Ballard. Nothing will change till we get a new GM. I havent posted in a year and will post again when we have a GM change. Heres to an exciting season, everyone have fun. Go Colts.

:woah:

• Like 1

Just now, shasta519 said:

Yeah. But they got beat either way. HOU dominated.

I don’t know if I’d say they dominated us.

We certainly had no answer for their ground game.  A lot of our yardage came on those chunk plays.

But Richardson had a pretty good game, all things considered.  I honestly think that INT was the result of Granson slipping on the turf.  And AR finished the game - which is refreshing.

There were some bright spots.  And we did that against one of the better teams in the league.  We won’t face a more talented receiving corps, top to bottom, than the one we faced today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B~Town said:

What an entertaining game.  We have some things to work out but if AR stays healthy this will be a fun team to watch . 

I agree 100%

Mixon was a force today for Houston but we stayed in the game.  Hoping for a good season.

I don’t know if this is accurate because I didn’t closely follow the D-line rotation but it’s an interesting point by Indy Star reporter: 

“I think the Colts rotated too much up front, putting players like Taven Bryan on the field who aren’t equipped to play the run. It also didn’t let their players get into a flow, and the Texans offensive line was handling them on downhill runs, and they just couldn’t recover.

That has to change, because if the only area Chris Ballard is going to invest in this offseason is the defensive line, then it can’t be the weakness that keeps the team trailing for most of a game.”

• Like 1

Just now, ShuteAt168 said:

I don’t know if this is accurate because I didn’t closely follow the D-line rotation but it’s an interesting point by Indy Star reporter: 

“I think the Colts rotated too much up front, putting players like Taven Bryan on the field who aren’t equipped to play the run. It also didn’t let their players get into a flow, and the Texans offensive line was handling them on downhill runs, and they just couldn’t recover.

That has to change, because if the only area Chris Ballard is going to invest in this offseason is the defensive line, then it can’t be the weakness that keeps the team trailing for most of a game.”

The bigger question is where was Davis. They paid him ten million to be Stewart’s backup.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wish we would have Downs today, but Dulin did make a big play. Levis is in a crap situation, so I won't bash on him too much. I did think AR looked pretty good today for the most part considering our D stunk.

Agreed.  WL did okay, he did not give up the game, but threw a pick in desperation time.  I think Young will be the worst Qb of that 4 Qb group. 

Our run defense was disappointing, and I wonder how our DEs will grade out.  The obvious complaint is with the DTs, but I did not see the edge guys making many plays in the run game.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Hopkins, Ridley and Boyd are all pretty good receivers. 

Perhaps.  I think it will take some time for those pieces to gel, including the new HC,  TEN is about a year behind us in rebuild quality of the roster, JMO.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is off topic but what about our Huskers! I love that QB we have now and the D looks great.

They finally look like a good college football team.  The second half was ugly, but they are way ahead of last year, IMO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Why does Gus Bradley still have a job?

Why does he and Ballard still have a job, bargain basement Ballard gets you bargain basement plays when you need some crucial stops on D you gotCross 10 miles off the nearest player easy pitch and catch TD to Diggs etc....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Hell of a game. AR was great. Missed passes sure, but some of the wow throws just make you jump out of your seat. 

C.J is giving me Brady nightmares 

Like 68 yards thru the air and off your back foot. Unbelievable 

Like I said earlier.... This is on Ballard. He's built a team (8 yrs running) that's not good enough to challenge for anything (division or SB wise) but just mediocre enough to have you believing. Build through the draft and pay our own. Yet I see no generational or HOF types. This team will flame out with Gus as dc and give up yards by the mile. The narrative is always the same and this team can never make that big stop when it counts! Our oline seems suspect also! AR had his ups and downs but what do you expect from a guy that has a total of like 20 something starts at qb including high school but on his UPSIDE my goodness...

Many teams in the league have aggressively turned their fortunes around since Ballard has been at the helm of the Colts while we continue to rinse, wash and repeat under CB. Even to the tune of his yearly season ending "it's on me" presser. Lol The Texans added playmakers Mixon and Diggs via FA to an already stacked young roster. This is the way of the modern nfl but we'll just keep trading down on draft day to garner extra picks in the 4th and 5th rds while building inside out on mid level talent with high RAS scores! In Ballard we trust....

• Like 3

I was surprised how well they ran the ball against us.  We were all excited about the new DL coach.  I’m sure he changed things up.  So maybe it will take some time.  I was surprised how well the secondary held up against their elite receivers.   Stroud made a lot of great throws where his receivers made great catches when they were well covered.  The back breaker to Collins in the fourth quarter is a perfect example.  Great players make catches like that in tight coverage.  The lack of an effective game plan and execution really hurt on offense.  Richardson has a lot of freedom running the offense and he made some bad decisions today.  His accuracy issues are going to plague him for quite awhile.  Overthrowing and missing wide open receivers.  He will get better with more time.  Happy for Pierce he had a great game.  Cross played better than I expected.  Happy for him.  Disappointed in the outcome but they were the better team today.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He reminds me of Mahomes, I haven't been this excited since 1997 and the Tom days. The O.Line is stacked too. 

They should have scored 42 instead of 28.  Tons of penalties, and some bad calls to be honest.