Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans Colts Week 1 Predictions

danlhart87

58 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Colts win 31 - 13

I actually have no confidence in this prediction, but this is what I’m hoping happens. It would be nice if everything came together this year.

They’ve lost 8 openers in a row and have a qb that has hardly played. Number 9 looks like a high probability. 🍺

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

They’ve lost 8 openers in a row and have a qb that has hardly played. Number 9 looks like a high probability. 🍺

Things change. Everyone’s high on the Texans, but we went Toe to toe with them even when we had Gardner. If AR Is what fans are hoping he is then we should be able to win this home game.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Things change. Everyone’s high on the Texans, but we went Toe to toe with them even when we had Gardner. If AR Is what fans are hoping he is then we should be able to win this home game.

Didn't we beat them when AR started last year?

16 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Didn't we beat them when AR started last year?

Yeah, we beat them. 31-20. Richardson had two rushing touchdowns, but on the second one he got a concussion and Minshew played the rest of the game. 

G. Minshew 19/23 171 yards 1 td

A. Richardson 6/10 56 yards 2 rushing tds 

I am hoping to see more passing touchdowns from Richardson this time. Latu and Buck are going to have to get after Stroud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

Dang. Well that would be depressing.

yes it would be horrible and i hope the score is reversed, but imo stroud will have an easy day with our defensive backs and i expect ar to make rookie mistakes. but again i hope i am very wrong.

• Like 1

As unpopular as it is, I agree with Patrick. I think we get our doors blown off, Richardson looks like a rookie out there; JT has a great game; and the team has a wakeup call. This queues Richardson to steadily improve through the season, and we're right in the mix at the end to win the division or be the wild card. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Latu and Buck are going to have to get after Stroud.

I hope it's the whole bunch getting after him. Early and often. Would love to see how this team can close a game out in LOS with AR/JT in the backfield, Latu/Buck & co. on defense, and a lead. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

yes it would be horrible and i hope the score is reversed, but imo stroud will have an easy day with our defensive backs and i expect ar to make rookie mistakes. but again i hope i am very wrong.

He didn't have an easy day with the division title on the line... Same defensive backs. I don't think he has an easy day. He'll make plays, and might even put up 90% completion rating and some good numbers, but this defense isn't going to allow him to sit in the pocket and make it look easy all day. I hope we can match, and get a good running game going early to put real stress on him in the 2nd half. 

• Like 2

Texans 34

Colts 20

The Texans offense looks like a juggernaut right now on paper and I think Stroud shreds our secondary. We'll defend the run relatively well, but in the end, it won't matter too much. Richardson will pass and run for a TD each, but we'll probably be playing from behind early, and Taylor will be taken out of the game. I remember last year when we fell behind, Steichen would abandon the run, I believe he'll repeat that again here and Richardson will be forced to win the game by himself (which I don't think he can do).

Texans by two TDs in a rout.

• Like 2

Colts end their opening game losing streak.  I am concerned about their secondary and inability to stop a team when they really need it.  But offense is complete and hoping they start out strong.  

Colts  37

Texans 28

Texans 31

Colts 20

Offense struggles to get things going.

Defensive secondary can’t handle CJ Stroud and all of his offensive weapons.

IF Richardson stays healthy and we get Downs back, I think the Colts offense will get things going after a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Eventhough the Texans are favored to win the division, I smell an upset here. We are due to win a opener and it's at home. Colts 23-20, Taylor has game winning TD run at the end with around 20 seconds left.

Due to win

I agree

If you flip a coin enough, you will get heads... we have to win on opening weekend sometime..... right?

Colts 24 Texans 20

We may see a game where Richardson runs a great deal.

• Like 1

I dont know what to make of this team right now.  In the off season and pre season the starting offense looked like it still needs some work but the depth looked good.  On Defense it was the opposite, starters did well but the depth was in question.

Obviously one of our biggest games of the year right off the bat, we need a home win against them.  I dont have prediction right now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think we tie 28-28 and this board still freaks out about it. 

Oh God... 2022 all over again. 

Yeah, it'd be a meltdown. Especially if our kicker misses right at the end. 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Oh God... 2022 all over again. 

Yeah, it'd be a meltdown. Especially if our kicker misses right at the end. 

And how sad is that, because it wouldn't be 2022 all over again. Those teams ended with top 5 draft picks, these teams are expected to fight for a division title. I think tying week 1 against Houston would be a massive win for this franchise and a confidence boost. Win or Tie baby, that's what I say. Especially against big dogs. Whatever it takes to keep us in the thick of things early on in the season. 

Colts - 24

Texans - 31

I say D-Line gets to Stroud quickly, has 2 sacks and then Texans start dink and dunking all over our LB's 

JT gets 100 yrds on the ground 

AR throws for 250 / runs for 75 / 1 INT

Matt Gay misses either a FG and/or extra point 

Stroud throws for 310 / 1 INT 

• Like 2

Texans 34 Colts 24

I wish I had more confidence in our secondary and Gus Bradley's schemes. The last time we played the Texans at home, they were without Tank Dell and Noah Brown and still Nico Collins beat us. Now, with all of them healthy plus Stefon Diggs, it is going to be a long day.

I do think our improved pass rush makes enough plays to keep it close initially but only for so long. Our D and ST needs to play out of their minds to make this a FG game, IMO, just doubt it is possible for 4 quarters.

• Like 3

This game will tell you what type of GM Ballard is. Both teams have QB's on Rookie contracts. Houston went out and added players. The Colts did not (but we do have lots of cap space). So we will see which theory is correct on team building.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

This game will tell you what type of GM Ballard is. Both teams have QB's on Rookie contracts. Houston went out and added players. The Colts did not (but we do have lots of cap space). So we will see which theory is correct on team building.

Hard to really judge anything based on one week, let alone Week 1.

But I do agree that this season will be an interesting case study for roster construction with a rookie QB contract. HOU, as well as TEN, were aggressive in adding players through FA/trades with their QB on a rookie deal, but the Colts opted for continuity and keeping the core of their team in tact.

How far each team goes will be dependent upon QB play for the most part, but I am interested to see which roster approach supplements that QB play the best.

• Like 1

I think it'll be a close loss - something like 27-24.

I think pressure from our Dline will shut down most of the deep plays, but then Stroud will dink and dunk our secondary and LBs to pieces.

I think AR and our WR/TEs will struggle through the air because of poor execution and communication, but AR and JT will have a decent day on the ground.

Hopefully it'll get the team fired up for a tough game against the Packers week 2 and we can get an upset there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

How much cap space is a lot? lol... 

This game isn't going to tell us anything pal. It's a long season. You are comparing GM's based on week 1? 

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Sheesh. Some of you talk about Stroud like he's god or something. 

Colts 31

Texans 21

No, it is the same OC continuity with Bobby Slowik, who refused other HC possibilities to come back. He is excellent at scheming things plus Stroud does put the ball on the money far more times than not and there is far too much speed on the field that he tends to find the open guy. Their OL is sneakily good at giving him time. It is not a co-incidence he beat a healthy Burrow in Cincinnati in a FG game.

Last year, the Texans had issues in both games vs rushing QB Lamar Jackson. That is our key to pulling off a close game, dominate TOP with JT and AR. I don't see any other way to make it winnable for us. I can see the D holding the fort for a few quarters but it is hard to contain the talent they have assembled on offense unless you minimize their TOP. Our fans need to be LOUD.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Colts 31

Texans 21

Stroud is legit good, is he great - not sure because 1 year isn't a tell all. I also picked Indy but only by 3, 23-20. I think like last year that the game can go either way.

52 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Colts 31

Texans 21

That and it seems some think this colts team is trash or something. We could have very well switched places with the Texans at the end of the season had Goodson caught that ball. 

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

That and it seems some think this colts team is trash or something. We could have very well switched places with the Texans at the end of the season had Goodson caught that ball. 

I bring that up a lot. It is amazing how 1 play changes everything. If we convert the 4th down and go on to win, the media is kissing our rear instead and saying Stroud didn't win, when it counts to win the division, and the Colts now even have Richardson back. chuckling homer simpson GIF

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No, it is the same OC continuity with Bobby Slowik, who refused other HC possibilities to come back. He is excellent at scheming things plus Stroud does put the ball on the money far more times than not and there is far too much speed on the field that he tends to find the open guy. Their OL is sneakily good at giving him time. It is not a co-incidence he beat a healthy Burrow in Cincinnati in a FG game.

Last year, the Texans had issues in both games vs rushing QB Lamar Jackson. That is our key to pulling off a close game, dominate TOP with JT and AR. I don't see any other way to make it winnable for us. I can see the D holding the fort for a few quarters but it is hard to contain the talent they have assembled on offense unless you minimize their TOP. Our fans need to be LOUD.

It's Slowik, but it's also Stroud completing 77% of his passes for 264 yds and 2 TDs the last time we saw him. And that was with only Nico on the field.

Dell looked like he could be a future top 15 WR in the NFL. Even if Diggs has lost a step, I would think he's still the best WR3 in the NFL. 

HOU will have a healthy WR group and the Colts secondary is largely the same as it was in Week 18, though Blackmon will be healthy. 

On the flipside, JT ran all over them (AR was having success in the first matchup). But that was a bit of an outlier for HOU last season. They have bulked up the DL this offseason, as well as their LB group. 

Think it will comes down to HOU pass game vs. Colts pass defense...and HOU run defense vs. AR/JT. 

I think HOU will start out fast and get a lead, before winning 31-23. But it's only one game and both teams will have a rematch. 

My bigger concern is that the schedule is pretty daunting for the first 2/3 of the season. Colts play HOU x2, GB, CHI, PIT, JAC, MIA, BUF, DET and the NYJ in the first 12 games. If they can tread water through playing playoff teams in 10/12 games, then it gets much easier.

• Like 3